Definitely A Hunter {2}

By sleepyhaIo

"Hey, you're a hunter, Kota." He soothes her, placing his hand firmly on her shoulder. She takes a deep brea... More

CHARACTERS
PROLOGUE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
NINE
TEN
ELEVEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
Happy Birthday Dakota!!
TWENTY-SEVEN
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
Fun Facts
FORTY-TWO
FORTY-THREE
FORTY-FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX

FOURTEEN

4.1K 107 24
By sleepyhaIo

"The most important thing is to

enjoy your life--to be happy--it's all that matter." -Audrey Hepburn

<< Touch of Reality >>

Dakota springs awake, bolting upright in the hospital bed with wide eyes, her chest heaving as she attempts to catch her breath.

"Dakota?" Dean touches her shoulder, leaning into her line of sight after standing. She drags her eyes over to him as she drags air into her lungs before sighing.

"What the hell?" Dakota mumbles to herself, removing her gaze from Dean's to look around the room in confusion.

"Do you remember what happened?" Sam questions as he walks forward to stand on her other side, across from Dean.

Dakota slowly nods her head, glancing at the two before looking down at her lap as everything sinks in.

"I won." She breathes out, chuckling in relief and giving her dad a wide smile. "I actually won."

"Yeah, you did." Dean laughs along with her, pressing a kiss to her temple. He looks at Sam and jerks his head towards the door, silently tell him to go get a nurse. "I'm proud of you."

Dakota grins, looking down at her lap before a nurse comes in, ushering Dean out of the room so she could check over Dakota.

"How do you feel?"

"I feel fine, I'm a little tired." Dakota shrugs in response, glancing at Dean. He's standing in the hallway watching through the window, he gives her an awkward smile and two thumbs up. She scoffs and shakes her head, a smile curling at her lips.

After a couple more questions from the nurse and Dakota assuring that she's perfectly fine, she was reluctantly released from the hospital. The nurse hands Dakota a bag of her belongings, and leaves the room to give the young girl privacy.

"You scared the hell outta me, kid." Dean says, pulling Dakota into a tight hug as she walks out of her room, dressed in the clothes she collapsed in.

Dakota wraps her arms around Dean's waist, digging her face into his chest and breathing in deeply, allowing herself to sink into the safety of her father's embrace.

"Hey, come on, let me have some Kota time." Sam complains childishly from the side, he huffs in annoyance. Dakota chuckles and pulls away from her dad, looking into his identical green eyes. They give each other the same crooked half smile, then Dakota hugs Sam tightly. "I missed you, bug."

"I missed you guys, too. You have no idea." She says quietly, pulling away from her uncle. She sighs and takes a couple steps back, facing them as she readies herself for the questions.

"Let's go home." Dean surprises Sam and Dakota by not asking anything, sure he was curious but he knew Dakota just wanted to leave.

The youngest Winchester smiles warmly before turning and walking down the hallway. She slips her hand into Dean's like she's a little kid again. She just wanted her dad by her, after going through the mental anguish she endured, she wanted to be close to him and Sam.

Dean kisses her head before guiding her towards the Impala, her lips twitch up in a crooked smile before she slides into the backseat. Dakota stares almost blankly out the window as Dean puts as much distance as possible between them and the hospital.

Everything flooded towards her at once.

Her first ever crush was killed in front of her. She got sick and fell into a coma, being tormented by the Devil himself. She was trapped in her head, having visions of people she cares about. She fought Lucifer, barely winning before waking up in the hospital. Seeing John and Charlie made her realize how much she missed them.

She sighs as her conversation with young Dean flashes through her mind. Those were her everyday fears. She was constantly worried that she tore Dean away from his happiness, causing him to live with sorrow and a crying kid. She wasn't easy on him growing up, she was difficult sometimes. Arguing with him a lot about hunting, they butted heads as Dakota got older. They had different views on hunting, Dakota wanted to but Dean wanted her as far away as she could get.

"Dad?" She breaks the silence that had fallen.

"You okay?"

"I'm sorry." She apologizes, ignoring his question. Dean glances at her from the rear view mirror, confusion written all over his face.

"For what? Kota, you have absolutely nothing to be sorry about." 

"I...I'm just sorry."

"Dako-"

"Dad," She cuts him off, giving him a look. "I'm just apologizing for everything I've put you through, all these years. I know it wasn't easy, raising me by yourself, and I'm so sorry for that. I've blamed myself for mom leaving, but I've finally realized that...that you're okay."

She smiles at him before shifting around to lay down, leaving Dean stunned in silence. She curls up and pillows her head with her arm, closing her eyes and slipping into a peaceful sleep.

The first thing Dakota did after getting to the bunker was shower. Dean started to make something so she could actually eat. After her shower she changes into some jeans, a black t-shirt, and one of Dean's flannels.

She walks into the kitchen where Dean had just sat her plate of food on the table. She grins at him in a thank you before sitting down and attacking the food.

"Kota?" Dean questions, taking the seat across from her. Sam was off in the library looking through news articles.

Dakota hums in acknowledgment to Dean's question.

"Can you tell what happened?"

Dakota stops mid-chew, looking up at him in shock and reluctance. She slowly nods before launching into the story of what happened when she was in a coma. She even tells him about who she saw, including himself and what he told her. She told him about her inner struggles with their family and hunting.

"I'm scared every time I go hunting, you know that, right?" Dean asks her, leaning back in his chair and taking a drink from his beer.

"That's what you said, but you never look scared." She shrugs, standing to take her plate to the sink. "Sam never looks scared either. Even grandma never looks scared. I'm the only Winchester who's terrified to hunt."

"If you aint scared, you're dead." Dean points out, looking at her over his shoulder.

"That's what you said." Dakota repeats, grabbing a can of pop from the fridge and returning to her seat.

"Sounds like I'm right." Dean grins at her. She rolls her eyes in returning, scoffing at him. "I missed you, kid."

"I missed you too, the real you, and not the you that my head created." She says, blinking tiredly.

"Hey, I've got a case in Brookings, South Dakota." Sam calls from the library. Dakota grimaces before dragging herself from her chair, Dean following after her as they head towards the library.

"Sam, Dakota just got upright." Dean sighs, sliding into a chair and propping his feet up on the table.

"I know, I know, but I figured we could go check it out." He shrugs, casting a look over at Dakota who's swaying on her feet. "But lookin' at her now, I'd say we put some other hunters on it."

"No, no, I'm fine. Just give me a couple minutes to pack my stuff and I'm golden." She waves them off, stumbling a couple steps towards her room.

"You're dead on your feet, baby, you're not going anywhere." Dean calls as Sam catches Dakota's arm, stopping her in her tracks. She scowls at them for teaming up against her.

"No, I'm fine. I'm not stopping you from hunting, you guys were stuck in that damn hospital for how long?"

"Hey, we hunted a couple times." Dean defends himself.

"Once, you worked one case while I was under." She deadpans, giving him a look and he rolls his eyes. "Dad, I'm okay to work this case."

"If I, for a second, think this is too much..."

"I'll step out, I promise." She cuts him off.

Dean hesitantly nods and leaves to go back his stuff, Dakota cheers and staggers to her room.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Dakota didn't last long, on the road to South Dakota, she passed on in the backseat. She didn't wake up once, even when they made it--Sam attempted to wake up, but she didn't even budge.

So, they dropped her off at the motel, leaving a note and taking off to work the case.

It didn't take them long to find the thing and kill it, so the Winchesters picked up Dakota. She was still asleep, so Dean laid her in the backseat and drove them to Jody's, Dean wanted to thank her again for watching Dakota. They also wanted to assure her that Dakota was fine, they hadn't had the chance to call her.

"Dakota, wake up." Dean says softly, shaking her shoulder gently. "Kota, it's time to get up."

Sam chuckles from the passenger seat. "Maybe if you pour water on her." He suggests.

Dakota groans and sits up, glaring angrily at Sam.

"I'm up." She snaps at them, dragging her eyes towards Jody's house, blinking in confusion she looks back towards her dad.

"Well, you slept through the hunt, we wanted to stop and see Jody on the way home, to thank her." Dean explains. "She watched over you while we went hunting when you were in a coma." He adds upon seeing her confused face.

She nods and smiles towards the house. "Well, let's go."

Sam and Dean exchange grins before dragging themselves towards the front door, all three of them exhausted. Though, Dakota just slept for a good 8 hours, she was still exhausted.

Dean sluggishly knocks on the door as he leans against the door jam. Dakota leans against Sam as he places his hand against the other side of the jam.

The three give Jody forced tired smiles when she opens the door.

"Wow! You look terrible. What's wrong?" Jody greets them, Dakota chuckles at the woman.

"Sure, we'd love to come in." Dean says sarcastically, chuckling as he enters the home. He kisses her on the cheek as he pass, Sam copying his actions. "Hey there."

"Hey." She greets them.

Dakota hugs the woman tightly, mumbling a gentle thank you.

"Hey, mama." She copies her family by placing a kiss on Jody's cheek before trailing after her dad.

She's been calling Jody 'mama' since they've met. Jody's taken the girl under her wing and acted like her mother since Dakota's been young. It warmed Dean to see Dakota have a mother figure in her life. Jody's acted like a mother towards all the Winchesters, but Dakota's really stuck to the woman.

"Yeah, we just, uh, finished a hunt in Brookings." Sam says, rubbing his cheek tired as he turns towards Jody. Dean slings an arm across Dakota's shoulders.

"And you couldn't take a shower first?" Jody wrinkles her nose.

"Ha ha." Sam laughs sarcastically, swaying on his feet.

"Heh." Dean forces a laugh as he yawns.

"Figured we stop by on the way home, see you, Claire, and Alex." Dakota supplies as she leans against Dean.

"Aww, that's fun." Jody grins at the three. "Unfortunately, the girls are in Omaha for the weekend, being angsty at a Radiohead concert." The three Winchester chuckle at her words, Dakota wrinkling her nose at the word 'angsty'. "But I can feed you."

"Ooh." Sam says.

"Yes. All right." Dean cheers.

"Hell, yeah." Dakota grins.

The three Winchesters look over at the food sitting on the coffee table, Dean turns back with a smug smile.

"Oh, uh...since the last time we saw you? I killed Hitler."

Sam rolls his eyes and sighs, Dakota pats Dean on the back. Jody stares at the oldest Winchester in confusion, he smirks and nods at her.

"Thank you?" She says in confusion, Dakota chuckles.

"You're welcome." Dean replies proudly. Sam and Dakota plop down on the couch, the latter slumps against the former.

Dean heads towards his family as Jody simply stares at the spot he was in, confusion covering her entire face. Sam and Dakota shove each other as they reach for some pizza, Dean swoops in and steals a slice before they could.

"Uh Jody, you watching some kind of chick flick here?" Dean questions around a mouthful of food.

"Well, Dean, I'm a chick." She points out in an obvious tone.

Dakota scoffs at her words. "No. No, no, you're--you're a bad ass sheriff chick." She mumbles with food in her mouth, just like her dad. Dean nods along to her words and points the remote at Jody, to prove his point that Dakota made.

"You're not a-a rom com chick. Wait, are you a rom com chick?" Dean asks, as Dakota flops herself against Sam, practically sitting on him as they eat pizza.

"Are you?" Jody retorts, smirking at him.

"He's more of an animated Japanese erotica chick." Sam teases, food in his mouth also. Dakota grimaces at her uncle's words.

Dean gives him a look while Jody looks interested. "Really?" She laughs.

Sam laughs and Dakota shakes her head, chuckling as she sees her dad's face. Dean looks away, pouting as everyone laughs at him. He takes an angry bite of pizza, Dakota pats his shoulder as she laughs obnoxiously with food in her mouth.

The phone rings. "I need to leave this scintillating conversation." Jody grins at them.

"I don't go to school, what does that mean!" Dakota calls after her. It was true, she's only gone to first grade and for a couple months.

"It means exhilarating." Sam explains to Dakota as Dean just shrugs his shoulders.

"Don't tell her that." Dean hisses towards his brother. Dakota and Sam look at him in confusion.

"I don't go to school, he's the only kind of education I receive." Dakota points out to her father.

"Don't tell her what?" Sam asks at the same time.

"It's Jody, man." Dean explains, waving his arms around before biting his pizza. Dakota hums in understanding that he wasn't talking about her.

"Dude, be proud of your hobbies." Sam encourages his brother. Dakota nods along to his words. "Make sure you are." Sam laughs, him and Dakota returning to their pizza as Dean changes the channel.

Jody walks past them, rubbing at her nose and not looking at them.

"Jody?" Dean asks, concern shining in his eyes. She ignores them. The Winchesters exchange looks.

Dakota gets up, handing Sam her plate and following after Jody. Dean turns off the TV as him and Sam follow her actions.

"Mama, what's wrong?" Dakota questions as Jody packs a bag with clothes.

"Friend of mine died." She explains as Sam and Dean catch up, her voice breaking over her words.

"Who?" Sam asks softly, Dean and Dakota just watch with concerned confusion, they didn't know what to do.

"Asa Fox." She says, looking over at them.

Sam sighs as Dean mumbles the name to himself.

"Asa Fox. Why does that name sound familiar?" He looks down as he says the words, Dakota and Sam exchange a look before glancing at him.

Dakota moves away from her dad and uncle, going over and hugging Jody gently.

"Isn't he the guy that Ellen used to tell stories about back at the Roadhouse?" Sam asks, Dean nods as a pang of sadness hits Dakota.

"Yeah." Dean sighs in agreement. "Supposedly, he killed, like, five Wendigos in a night." He shakes his head, smiling briefly.

Dakota shivers at the thought as Sam agrees with his brother.

"Yeah. Yeah, he was a hunter." Jody says, patting Dakota's back before releasing her to finish packing. "He, uh, he rolled into town a few months back, tried to convince me he was FBI Agent Fox Mulder." Dean raises his eyebrows in amusement as he listens to Jody's story.

Dakota drifts back towards her family, keeping her eyes on Jody as she recalls Asa.

"He was chasing a pack of ghouls, and I helped. He's pass through every once in a while after that, and we'd grab co--coffee or...something. Oh, he was a good man." He voice lowers into a whisper as tears turn her eyes glassy. The Winchesters look around, sadness hitting them as their friend fights back tears. "The--the wake's tonight, and, um, they're gonna salt and burn the body tomorrow. And I can't believe I just said that like it's something normal."

"Well, we're gonna come with you." Dean says, wrapping an arm around Dakota and bringing her closer to him.

"Yeah." Sam and Dakota agree.

"You don't have--I'll be fine." Jody assures.

"Yeah, no, Jody, we--we know you'll be fine, but...you know, we never go to hunter gatherings, outside of bars. Dad always said they were trouble, so..." Sam trails off, looking to his older brother for some help.

"Yes, you'd be doing us a favor if you let us tag along." Dean takes over for him, smiling softly at Jody.

"Thank you." She tells the Winchesters, tears gleaming in her eyes as she looks at them gratefully. "You're gonna have to get cleaned up before we spend five hours in the car together. Yeah." She moves her eyes away as she continues, not meeting their gazes and turning back towards her clothes.

"Five hours? Where, uh, where we going?" Dean asks, glancing down at Dakota.

After the Winchester got cleaned up and showered, they piled into the Impala together. Dakota and Jody share the backseat, while Sam and Dean sit up front in their normal spots.

They get to Asa's house exactly five hours after leaving Jody's. Dakota, sound asleep against the window, snores softly as Dean parks. Sam, Dean, and Jody exit the Impala at the same time, Dean rounding around the car to collect his daughter.

"O Canada." Dean sings as he picks the half-asleep Dakota up from the backseat.

"That is a big house." Sam points out, staring at the large house in awe.

"Family home. Asa was just a guy." Jody says as she walks past them.

Dakota sticks close to her dad as the four enter the house, the Winchesters walk almost cautiously after Jody. Loud laughter and murmurs of others fill the rooms, the smell of alcohol hits the four like a brick wall. Definitely a hunter gathering.

"Jody!" A woman calls out almost happily. The four whip around towards the voice, a short woman with choppy blonde hair and sunglasses approach them. A glass of whiskey in her hands as she opens her arms for Jody. "Oh, Jody, thanks for comin'."

They hug each other, as the three Winchesters awkwardly look around as the woman greet each other.

"Loraine, of course. How you holding up?" Jody asks as she embraces the woman.

"Well, it's a house full of loud, drunk hunters..." Loraine trails, "and my son's dead body is in the parlor. But I haven't slit my wrists yet. Small victories." She holds her glass up in a toast, Dakota shifts awkwardly at her words, glancing at her dad.

"We're very sorry for your loss." Sam steps up to offer their condolences, noticing that Dean and Dakota have no idea what to say.

"I know." Loraine nods, rubbing the back of her neck. "Everyone's sorry." She says before walking away from them.

Dean and Dakota stare at the spot she just left before making a face and nodding, Jody mimics their actions unknowingly.

"So...this is gonna be fun." Jody says awkwardly, shedding her coat.

Dean and Dakota drift towards the kitchen, Dean leaning over to grab a beer from the large cooler sitting out.

"No label. Well, that's a red flag." He mumbles as he exchanges a look with his daughter.

"Nah, fully safe." A voice assures them, coming up behind the two. They jump and turn towards the man approaching them. "I home brewed it myself. Here. Not a twist-off." The man takes Dean's beer, popping off the top with his bottle opener around his neck. "Oh, hope you like strong beer, buddy."

Dean nods and takes the beer, slowly taking a drink while Dakota watches nervously.

"That's good." He says to the man.

"Ah?" The man cheers.

"Uh Dean Winchester." Dean introduces, glancing down at Dakota, he purposely doesn't say anything about her. Skeptically of other hunters.

"The Dean Winchester." The man repeats in shock, before another guy sitting at the table turns to the three. "That would make this...Dakota Winchester?"

"No freakin' way." The man at the table calls. "Aren't you dead? Like, four times?" Everyone around them stops talking to stare at the two Winchesters.

"Yeah. It, uh, didn't take." Dean laughs awkwardly, Dakota shifts around.

"Wait. Your brother here? Sam?" A guy with red hair asks, almost nervously.

"Yeah, he's still alive, too. He's--"

The red-head cuts Dean off by scraping his chair loudly against the floor and exclaiming. "Oh." He rushes out of the room.

"Okay, good talk." Dean and Dakota call after him in confusion.

"Yeah, sorry about Elvis." The man who brewed the beer apologizes, chuckling. "He's, uh...Elvis. I'm Bucky Sims."

"Hey." Dean says shaking his hand.

"Randy. Randy Bull." The man at the table introduces as he leans forward to shake the Winchesters hands. "Ah! Watch out for the horns, right?"

Dakota laughs awkwardly, her eyes wide as she backs away from the man slowly.

"Hey, uh you two hunters?" Dean asks the two.

"Yes, sir," Randy agrees, as Bucky hums. "Did you know Asa?"

"No, no, we never met him," Dean says, looking over at Dakota who looks incredibly awkward. "but, uh, heard some crazy stories."

Bucky and Randy exchange a look as an uneasy feeling settles in Dakota's stomach. Something wasn't right about that look.

"Yeah? Like what?" Bucky asks, almost tensely.

Dean stares at him silently for a moment, feeling the same thing Dakota is. "Well, I mean, come on. Nobody can take out five Wendigos in a night." He says, Dakota shifts uncomfortably, moving closer to her dad.

"Hey! Our famous friend said the magic word!" Bucky calls out to everyone. "Drink, everybody."

Everyone clinks their bottles together before drinking. Dakota and Dean exchange a look with raised eyebrows.

"'Wendigo'? Is that it?" Dakota asks, speaking up for the first time.

"Ah! Do it again." Bucky says, everybody takes another drink.

"Okay." Dean chuckles uncomfortably, taking a drink with everyone.

"Stop saying that, little lady, or we're not gonna make it to morning." Randy says, Dakota stares at him blankly.

Bucky laughs to try and relieve the awkward silence that fell.

"Didn't know the rules." Dean announces, staring at Randy skeptically and masked anger.

"You think the stories about Asa are crazy, you should hear what they say about you two." Bucky says. Dean and Dakota look away, staring blankly off as they both fight away memories.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

171K 5.5K 41
*in queue for editing* A huge thank you to @bloomedroses who loved the story so much that they made an amazing cover for me! I love it so much!! You...
421K 11.1K 40
"You know the rules." He said, raising an eyebrow in question, silently asking her to recite the rules. "Stay close and stay alert." She recited car...
272 51 10
Dean Winchester is your classic playboy until he Meets a 25 year old badass hunter named Emma young Emma has had a hard childhood she never knew her...