Weekend Goal

By biscuit_dunker

Sanne wanted a new adventure to forget her heartbreak and the Greenwood Foxes Soccer Club might be it, provid... More

Weekend Goal - by @biscuit_dunker & moudenes
Chapter 1: Replacement Goalie
Chapter 2: Rivals
Chapter 3: Wild Flowers
Chapter 4: Cheer Up London
Chapter 5: Weak Left
Chapter 6: I Fall Apart
Chapter 7: A Friend
Chapter 8: Mix It Up
Chapter 9: An Inconvenience
Chapter 10: Bench Warmer
Chapter 11: Lunch
Chapter 12: No Regrets
Chapter 14: Game Plan
Chapter 15: Pretend Haters
Chapter 16: Behind Enemy Lines
Chapter 17: Meeting at Myrtle's
Chapter 18: Lost in History
Chapter 19: Traitor
Chapter 20: Perfect Doesn't Exist
Chapter 21: Mint Green
Chapter 22: The End
Chapter 23: Someone to Listen

Chapter 13: Teaming Up

12 5 0
By biscuit_dunker

A slight tug in my belly makes me doubt if I'm ready to return to practice. An office stomach bug had us falling like flies during the past week. I sent an email to Cooper excusing myself from practice but received no reply. I called and messaged him, but he didn't pick up my call and my message is still unread.

Every day that goes by I doubt more and more if I made the right decision joining this team. I was looking forward to having a great time and making new friends. If it wasn't for Lachlan's calls and messages, I would feel lonelier than I was.

After I kissed him and he kissed me back, nothing else was said and we spent the rest of our time together watching TV until I went home. It didn't feel awkward, on the contrary, then it felt like old times where we enjoyed each other's company. I don't want to give much thought to our current situation or where it could potentially go and I'm fine with that.

Coming to the club by car was a bad idea. Usually, I go home first and walk to the club, but tried to catch up with the work I missed and decided to go straight from the office. I've been stuck in traffic for a while and the cars in front are not moving. If I wasn't on a highway, I would be tempted to park my car somewhere and walk. I'm gonna try not to let it bother me too much. I'm always on time to practice and coming late once shouldn't be a problem.

Finally, the cars in front of me move forward enough for me to use the emergency lane and take the exit. I'm not an adventurous one when it comes to risking a fine, but I'm just fed up with traffic. After parking at the club, I see my team on the field running around to warm up. I feel somewhat guilty and hurry my pace. If I change fast enough I can join them fashionably late.

"This is unacceptable, Rose! You just can't disappear like that."

"I had better things to do."

Walking into Rose and Cooper in the changing rooms is not what I expected. He presses her against the lockers while she looks at him with disgust. I can't move or they'll notice me.

"Playing fake family with that dick who knocked you up? Is that what you call better? I know it all Rose. Those kids you keep around at the cafe can't keep their mouths shut. I know you were in Barcelona."

"Why does it bloody matter to you if I'm here or not?" She asks between gritted teeth. "I'm a bench warmer. Remember?" She chuckles.

"Don't give me that shit now. I know what I'm doing. Look at me! Look at me, Rose!"

Rose has spotted me where I'm glued to my place. Cooper follows her and his annoyance level goes up a notch when he notices me.

"You!" He lets Rose go and strides towards me. "Where the hell have you been? Just because you are better than Sage don't you think you aren't replaceable. I get how this one acts. When she wants revenge she turns into a back-stabbing cynical bitch, but I wasn't expecting that from you!"

Shocked by his inappropriate language and behavior, I lift my bag on my shoulder and turn around.

"Sanne! Crap, you all seem to be in your period," Cooper mumbles. "Come back and get on that field! Okay, sorry. I'm saying sorry!"

I close the changing room door harder than is necessary and walk back to my car. What a dick! I was sick! Unacceptable isn't missing a game, unacceptable is his language and attitude.

"That prick has no filter, right?" I hear Rose say behind me, making me stop.

"What the fuck is wrong with him?"

"What isn't," she shrugs. "It was a matter of time before you got to see what he's really like."

"I was sick. I excused myself. The last thing for me was to make smoke signals to let him know."

"Nothing will ever be good enough for him."

It's then that I notice that Rose and I are having a conversation, a friendly one among the circumstances.

"Why do you stick around? Why do you tolerate his shit? I saw you playing with the guys. You are pro material, not Foxes material."

Rose places her hands on her hips and ponders about my words.

"I do it for people like Sage and the others who come to this place to feel like they belong."

Her answer surprises me. Under the rough attitude, Rose has a heart.

"And that's the reason I'm walking back in. It's understandable if you want to give the club your middle finger. Cooper simply doesn't deserve us."

Rose turns and walks back to the club, and I follow. I'll show Cooper who's really on his period.

I change as fast as I can and join the team outside. Cooper ignores my presence as he addresses the team.

"Sage, great work at the last practice. You'll take the goal post today."

"But Sanne is here," Sage says in a low voice and looks hesitant.

"Willow, let's try the new defense tactic we planned. Let's go ladies!"

The childish games continue so to see. I sit on the bench and take deep breaths to control my temper.

"Didn't know he could sink so low," Rose says as she sits next to me. "I get he wants revenge on me. He's treating you like collateral damage."

"It's fine. I'm not the only goalie and wasn't here last week."

"I have a teenage kid, you know? I can recognize bullshit a mile away and you are giving it to me right now. You could have been absent for a month and still, you are more skilled than Sage. It's okay to sulk."

"That's not what you thought of me when I joined."

"Is that what Willow told you?" She smiles as she shakes her head. "Okay, I admit I was pissed about it. I also didn't agree with how Cooper handled the situation. Sage had a rough year and sticking to the club took a lot of effort. Getting a new star goalie was like punching her in the gut."

"I'm sorry."

"You couldn't have known," she keeps her gaze on the practice game and smirks.

It's a disaster. To implement a strategy you need a strong communicator and Willow isn't it. Her voice becomes high pitched when she yells and it's difficult to understand. The ladies defending the goal post look among each other and the ball passes effortlessly between their legs. Sage gives me a nervous look as the ball bounces on her foot and enters the net in slow motion.

"I can't watch this anymore," I then stare at the floor.

"I wish I had some popcorn," Rose laughs and even when I'm not looking, I can feel Cooper's stare on us.

Cooper uses his whistle and calls the team to gather.

"A bit more effort, but is going well. Ladies, listen to Willow's instructions, she knows what she's doing and Sage, eyes on the ball. Nothing to look at on this side of the field."

This is insulting and a waste of my time. I stand up and walk towards the club building. After grabbing my stuff from the lockers, I walk out through the bar still wearing my practice gear. A few people watch a game, drink and eat greasy snacks. I find Lachlan at the bar, nursing a glass of what looks like soda.

"Hey. Didn't know you were coming."

"I finished work early and knew you had practice. Saw you on the bench."

I hold his arm and pull him to walk outside until we are in the parking lot.

"He's trying to punish me the same way he did to Rose. I couldn't stand it anymore. I'm not a pushover and he can stick his club in-"

"He's about to lose the club," Lachlan cuts me.

"What? How do you know that?"

Lachlan motions for me to get in his car.

"After I saw you were not playing. I went inside to wait for you. I heard three guys talking. They said that Cooper was wasting everyone's time, that he's disorganized. The Foxes didn't do well in the last season and the club lost members. People are not staying after the games to drink or eat, so no money is coming in. They were watching your practice just now and were going to talk to him later about finding someone else to run the club."

"He's in deep shit then."

"Seems like it. Well, you might want to find another hobby."

Rose's words pop in my head: a place to belong.

"I need to go back to practice," I say as I get out of the car.

"To the bench?" Lachlan says behind me.

"The Foxes need me."

Cooper glares at me as I return to the bench. Rose gives me a puzzled look. I lean in and tell her what I just heard. Her eyebrows shoot up in surprise.

"He's an asshole, but he cares about that club more than anyone. We need a plan," Rose whispers.

"A plan? We can't even practice," I whisper back.

"Will you two shut the fuck up and pay attention," Cooper yells at us.

"Meet me at my cafe tomorrow afternoon," Rose says, barely moving her lips.

Does she want to team with me? Is it really in our power to save the club?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

876 37 9
"I fucking hate when you haul me around like that." "Really? Because this right here says otherwise." Two hot headed teenagers with massive superiori...
109K 3.7K 26
When an incident on the pitch can lead to an unlikely lucky charm for the lionesses. AKA When Leah gets inured on the pitch, the oppositions medic...
369K 10.9K 35
[2023 Wattys Shortlist] When a feud between siblings goes too far, Solana finds herself falling into the hands of his enemy. Two university state tea...
545K 13.2K 53
This is a story of a true soccer girl. Her name is Abigail. She has just move to New York because her father is in the marines and got stationed ther...