Civilization Beyond the Stars...

By VDhriti

Eleven lords, eleven living planets was all they had left now. Centuries ago, there'd been thousands, but all... More

Prologue
0
1
2
3
3.5
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
UPDATE
13
Bonus chapter
14
15
16
17

11

16 3 0
By VDhriti

A/N I am not that good at making covers nor am i great at writing conversations but i tried all the same. Forgive any typos or grammatical errors pls.

I went to sleep with an unease in heart. The actions I had just committed was wrong at many levels but unfortunately it was the only way I could've avoided suspicion at such a short notice. Not only was it expensive but it was also morally and ethically wrong, maybe even illegal. I had convinced myself for doing this only because there was no other alternate. I even googled up the side effects before using it. There was barely enough money in my pockets which was unfortunately almost equal to half my savings from the monthly allowance.

Tonight, I did not have to wait for long or even pretend to sleep because my family was just too tired to check on me. Nonetheless, as I closed the door behind me, I got to work slipping pillows beneath the sheet and making it seem like I was sleeping soundly. Checking the clock which showed that I had barely ten minutes left, I threw open my closet, hastily putting back the clothes that had tumbled out and dug in for my favorite cargo shorts. Pairing it with a comfortable Nike t-shirt, I ran out with unlaced sneakers reaching the rooftop terrace on dot timing. I was exited yet nervous as I boarded the spaceship. This one not as luxurious as Ken's. The woman behind the wheel gave me a curt nod and fired up the engine. During the short journey, I tried to sort out my emotions and calm down; unsuccessfully. My knee wouldn't stop bobbing up and down as I impatiently waited for us to reach the docks. The view once again held me enchanted as we soared through space. And the darkness held my gaze captive. I wondered if I'll ever be able to get used to this hair-raising journey.

At the docks, no one payed any attention to us unlike what had happened when I was with Ken. Instead the woman who had not yet uttered a word during the whole journey set off in a brisk pace towards the door. Expecting me to follow. She could speak though, I realized as she passed greetings to the men guarding the dock doors from the palace side. A solider, I discerned. There was not much to see in the way as I was once again trying to concentrate on not losing her sight in the surprisingly crowded corridors. Last time I had come here, the corridors were almost empty, but today, there were people gliding here and there, some in the same uniform I had seen Ken in. Just in varying colors of cloth. While some wore the attire I had seen the soldiers in. Most of the crowd seemed to be headed in the same direction we were headed in. As we took the hallways leading us toward the virtual center of the palace, I guessed that our destination was the great room. Turning around a corner I almost bumped into my nameless guide who I had decided on calling Kelly as she jerked to a sudden stop. We were standing in a short queue in front of an indistinct door. Two guards were doing the job of security personnel, checking each person for weapons, I guess, before letting them into the room beyond.

As a reflex, I touched my chest where the mark was. I consciously knew that it was the only thing which made me a part of this strange world and related me to these unknown people from faraway places. I gaped in wonder as we entered the great room. It was more than great; it was magnificent. I looked around drinking it all in as I struggled to follow Kelly who had not reduced her pace by a single notch. We had entered through a small doorway to the side. Similar to several others. Kelly led me to special cordoned off area in the front row right behind the grand thrones and motioned me to sit in the only vacant seat at the end, then she spun on her heels and walked off. As I settled, I craned my neck to inspect the room.

The curved ceiling was impossibly high and made of colored glasses from which clear sunlight filtered through. Though not the only illumination in the room. A red carpet wide enough to accommodate two elephants' side by side ran at the center, parallel to the length of the room. It ended in front of grand semicircular steps leading to the two main thrones. The steps were small and less in number. More for show than purpose. The first throne was placed on the third step towards the right but faced slightly towards the left. The other throne was another three steps higher up placed at an almost circular platform towards the left angled slightly towards the right or, towards us. Behind them, a huge white banner hung from the ceiling with golden and silver trimming, bearing a sign which looked like the structure of an atom minus the nucleus and electrons. A ring of yellow stars surrounded it with a thick blue stripe running in the middle crossed by red and blue ones at regular intervals.

Two rows of five thrones each ran parallel to the red carpet facing each other. Each throne had the name of a planet inscribed at the base of the steps leading to it. Five were currently unoccupied including the two main ones on the platform. Numerous rows of seating ran on each side of the great room starting from five feet behind the thrones. I was surveying the room from these seats, part of my view blocked by the back of the throne in front of me. Almost all seats were occupied by people cheerfully talking with each other. The sounds of conversation and laughter filled the air. But the boy beside me sat quietly not much unlike me. Even the lords were either chatting with each other or with the guards standing beside them. Suddenly, the doors opened slightly, and a lord came running in plopping into the throne in front of me smiling sheepishly at his colleagues for being late.

As I looked around, I could feel the gaze of the boy beside me. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat. Being social and striking up conversations with strangers did not come easily to me. I could feel the awkward silence between us stretching as I felt him struggling to start a conversation too. After a while, I could not bear it and I finally found the courage to open my mouth.

"Hey! I'mnewhereandmyname'sDaniel. Yours?"

I greatly appreciate the hearing sense of the boy as he understood my question because if he would have asked me to repeat it, I would have died of embaressment in my chair right there.

"I go by Michael. Your first time at a council meeting?" he asked.

"Yeah, actually it's my second time outside of my planet too. Though you look like you've watched all this before." I replied, easing into the conversation now that the hardest part of initiating it was done.

"Dad has been dragging me and my sister to these council sessions since we learned to walk" he said with a roll of his eyes.

I didn't miss it when he peeked to have a look at the two prominently empty thrones.

Shoving Michael back with a flick of her wrist, the girl across him, presumably his sister jumped in, complaining, "at least he is lucky enough to finally get to escape these boring meetings, I'll be stuck here for another year. By the way, my name's Alicia" extending her hand for a shake.

My brow furrowed in confusion. "Your dad umm.. Ken?" I asked uncertainly.

"Oh, for goodness sake no! That uptight prick as our dad, he'd rather die of mortification than let that happen." Alicia scoffed.

Elbowing his sister in the ribs, Michael gave her a glare which she waved off laughing.

"which planet are you from?"

"earth" I replied with a shrug.

"Ooh, so you're the new lord. No wonder there were so many meetings over the whole issue." Alicia stated with dramatical expressions.

I didn't miss the small glimpse of pity in Michael's eyes before his smile returned.

"What's the issue with it?" I asked, my interest suddenly piqued up.

"you're like, a... decade younger than the youngest lord ever. Nothing else." Alicia replied innocently as Michael struggled to swallow back his laughter.

"how old are you?" he inquired, calming down a bit.

"oh, me, 16 in December"

"what a pity, wasting your life looking after a planet and solving problems of whiny people" Alicia mocked earning yet another elbow jab from her older brother.

"I'm 16 too-" "I'm 14" interrupted Alicia earning a scowl from Michael before he continued "nice to meet someone my age. So, I suppose you'll be starting the academy training today too. Right?"

"you also start today! Do you know how the place is?" I asked, glad to befriend a potential classmate.

"I'll not be revealing any- "he was cut off with the sounding of drums as a man announced the entry of the two main lords. The whole room rose to their feet and bowed their heads.

"Please welcome the reigning Srei, the lord of Halen, Ken Wallz." Right on cue the grand doors with intricate carvings slid open and Ken walked in with an unreadable expression, radiating athaurity. He walked with measured steps and head held high with his eyes on the throne. Sword in hand and a simple silver circlet resting on his dark brown curls. He wore more or less the same as the day we had first met, the black vest with silver lace and the bright orange cloth that folded along his torso and hung from his forearm. There was also a single horizontal blue stripe where a pocket should've been with 5 medals hanging beneath. He mounted the steps to the lower throne and turned to face the doors, still standing.

Once again, the drums sounded and the hidden man announced, "Please welcome the reigning Grei, the lord of Teras, Herold Reyes." As Herold walked in with pride, I noticed Michael roll his eyes. I decided I liked these siblings.

He had a golden circlet resting on his snow-white hair, but he didn't carry a sword which made me conclude that only those who could actually wield a sword could carry one. 

A/N I will try and upload a picture of the uniform, the banner etc. if i can. Till i upload the next part, here are a few things to ponder upon, Why did michael look at him with pity? Is ken upto something? There were twelve seats but only ten lords, assuming one of the two remaining seats were for daniel, who is the last seat for?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 409 57
Book 1 & 2 | Sunday Updates The guardians vanished 50 years ago, but now their power shows up in six unsuspecting youths... Sheltered from birth, Li...
229K 9.7K 34
When an Alien ship came to anchor just outside Earth's atmosphere and contacted humans for the first time, the whole planet was in an uproar. People...
8.7K 214 15
In the far reaches of the multiverse there are countless unnamed stories. In one corner of the infinite realities, the story of the man named Barry w...
286K 26.1K 111
[#1 in Virtual Reality] Fantasy and Magic meets Science and Technology. In this epic story of brotherly love, friendship, struggle, and conspiracy, c...