Crumbling Cakes

By AnnalisNolan

(Wattpad Picks - Up and Coming List - 06.07.2018) There are three things Dalia is sure of about her life. Sh... More

Author's Note
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V
Part VI
Part VII
Part VIII
Part IX
Part X
Part XI
Part XII
Part XIII
Part XIV
Part XV
Part XVI
Part XVII
Part XVIII
Part XIX (19)
Part XX (20)
Part XXI (21)
Part XXII (22) *POV Bonus*
Part XXIII (23) *POV Bonus*
Part XXIV (24) *POV Bonus*
Part XXV (25) *POV Bonus*
Part XXVI (26)
Part XXVII (27)
Part XXVIII (28)
Part XXIV (29)
Part XXXI (31) *POV Bonus*
Part XXXII (32) *POV Bonus*
Part XXXIII (33)
Part XXXIV (34) *POV Bonus*
Part XXXV (35)
Part XXXVI (36) *POV Bonus*
Part XXXVII (37) *POV Bonus*
Part XXXVIII (38) *POV Bonus*
Part XXXIX (39)
Part XL (40)
Part XLI (41)
Part XLII (42)
Part XLIII (43)
Epilogue

Part XXX (30) *POV Bonus*

11.7K 625 124
By AnnalisNolan

I woke with a pounding headache and a stiff leg. My back ached. My arms ached. My damn pinky toe ached. If I concentrated hard enough with my sore brain, I could swear that even my eyelashes hurt. To move was to whimper. And boy did I whimper.

"You okay, Shorts?" Sebastian's sleepy rasp came from above my head. That's right, Sweets was in bed with me. Prying an eye open, I parsed the manly arm I was currently trying to fuse into my chest and the leg possessively draped over his. My bruised noggin tucked under his chin as his chest warmed my side. Somehow in all of this, my torso was still facing upward. I've contorted and wrapped myself around him like an octopus. A very needy, beat up octopus.

Tucking my face into his bicep, I grumbled, "Define okay? Because if you mean in one piece? Just about. If the question is, am I in working order? I'd call maintenance." Sebastian chuckled quietly. I felt it more than heard it. My nose nuzzled into his magnificent arm, mmmmmm almonds. I pressed my lips softly against his skin, inhaling at the same time. It wasn't until it registered what I was doing that I froze. Just what was I doing? You're canoodling you damaged tramp. Ouch, someone was grumpy this morning. My stomach broke my chastising session with an obnoxious grumble.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Darlin'," Sebastian replied. My stomach chose this particular moment to essentially scream. The rumble so fierce that I could almost see my shirt move in the process. I couldn't believe that noise was even humanly possible. He rolled away from me, I knew he was looking at the abomination now gurgling under my shirt just like I was. "Sounds like someone is in serious need of maintenance." He teased me with his grin. The Dalia needed fuel.

I looked up at him and took in his tired eyes, rumpled hair. He was still beautiful but... "You look like shit, Ronaldo." Sweets rubbed his hands down his face and snorted.

"You should talk, Chia Pet." I winced. Ah yes, I'm pretty sure half of my hair puffed up from the crappy dry job from the night before, and the half that I couldn't wet was frizzy and flat. Somehow it does both, it's a mystery I'll never solve. Maybe Sweets can place me on his windowsill as decoration.

"Hey, I danced with a metal pipe and lost. What's your excuse?" I poked him in the ribs. The smile in his eyes dimmed. His gaze glued to where my head tangoed with steel. The frown invading his amusement made my stomach drop—in silence thankfully. "That bad, huh?" I reached up to touch the wound and hissed. Fuckity fuck was that tender. There was no mistaking that a good diameter around the gash was puffed up and swollen.

His fingers grazed my cheek in the tenderest of touches, tracing the slope of my cheekbone. "Maybe you were right about getting that foundation," he whispered with a hard swallow. Oh god, it must look wretched if he admitted that. Last night as we waited for my prescriptions to fill, we got in a tiny argument about me moving around trying to find some makeup to cover up my new souvenir. His stance was I was being ridiculous and to sit down. My stance was that I didn't want to meet his family within a few days looking like a train wreck.

"It'll do the trick. You'll see." I wanted to assure him, the need suffocating. I got the sense that Sebastian blamed himself in all of this. An absurd reaction seeing that the fault was all mine.

"You need to take those." Sebastian nodded at the pills that were most likely behind me. The dark circles under his eyes hurt me in a way I didn't anticipate. But what did I expect, he'd woken me up several times in the middle of the night. Getting up if I needed anything. Helping me to the bathroom if the need arose, my balance being shifty at best. It was no surprise he was exhausted. I tried to sit up but barely managed a half-assed crunch.

"You need some sleep, Sweets. I can worry about my meds." My second attempt to get up was just as futile.

"Relax, Darlin'." He sat up, scooting to the edge of the bed and stretched. I listened to his body argue with his ill decision to leave with every crack and pop. "I'll get you some food to down those. Until then," he looked at me over his shoulder with a grin. "Stay down, will ya? I think I've had enough heart attacks for a 24-hour period."

I threw the arm across my face, careful to leave my wound untouched. "Forget about me, just let me die!" Sebastian's hand landed on my upper thigh, my very naked upper thigh. "Save yourself, Ronnie." I peeked at him from under my forearm.

"Stop being so dramatic. Keep resting, Doc's orders." I wanted to beg him to stay. To come back and sleep with me. To cuddle because it made the hurt go away. And when his hand squeezed, the touch lingering and igniting a whole different ache, I would have risked further injury to drag him back down. Who needed antibiotics when I could just sniff his neck for hours? I know, I know. Absolutely bonkers. I wasn't even supposed to be allowed to sniff his neck...

One more squeeze that elicited a silent whimper only I could hear, and he pulled away. "Sleep, Little Lia." And then he walked out, looking obnoxiously delicious in low-hung pajama bottoms and a fitted shirt.

Oh, Ronaldo. If only sleep could fix all of this.

***

The bacon sizzled in the pan. I could smell it and it taunted my sanity. I was bruised, stiff, and maimed, but nothing would stand between me and crispy pork. After an embarrassing amount of effort was used to drag myself upright and get to the bathroom to brush my teeth, I shuffled—fine, limped, I limped—to the kitchen.

"God that smells amazing," I announced with a pleased sigh. Sebastian shook his head, while I gingerly sat onto my favorite stool. I should carve my name into it...

He sighed, heavily. "Lia, you were supposed to not move. Not." Sweets plated our pork goodness and brought both full plates to the table.

"It's cool, Ronaldo." I held up my new pilly besties. "I brought the merchandise." It would take an army to pry me away from that plate. Guess getting the crap beat out of you built up an appetite. I would definitely need a nap later, but right now? It was just Ronaldo and bacon. The perfect combo.

Now if I could only convince him I needed help with a bubble bath...keep dreaming.

I attacked my scrambled eggs with a hungry viciousness that I really wanted to direct at a certain baker. I bet I could make him feel so good... ahem. Sweets wrapped his tantalizing man paw over my hand, staying the fork full of steamy yumminess.

"Let it cool a bit, Darlin'," he practically cooed. The sound making me wonder if I could convince him to give me a sponge bath instead. With every dirty thought this morning, I was convinced a shit ton of self-restraint screws got knocked loose during the pipe fight. "Otherwise you'll upset your stomach."

He was right. Hot food plus rapid eating equals you're gonna have a bad time. "Party pooper." I allowed his hand to push mine down.

"A minute or so won't kill you, Pints." No, but a minute longer of not knowing what his hand would feel like down my pants just might. Yup, definitely loose screws. If I didn't check myself, I might just throw all of my inhibitions over the balcony railing before this holiday was over and do precisely what I said could never be done.

But would one time be so bad? Uh yes! Yes, it would you horndog. You'll never forget what you already have, let alone adding a horizontal party to the mix. If I allowed myself to cave even once, I might never leave. Look at me. I'm having so many conversations with myself, I'm going to need a bullet-pointed timeline to keep track of my slow descent into insanity.

"So what's on the agenda today? Mountain climbing, zip-lining," bubble bath, a voice that sounded a lot like Wade Wilson whispered eerily in the back of my mind, "bullfighting?" I lifted a shoulder, perching my chin on the rounded edge, my lips twisting into a coy smile.

Sebastian chewed his eggs in concentration. Like many moons ago, I found myself lost in watching his jaw muscle move as he ate. I really, really needed help. I busied myself with my full plate. Creeping side glances at him as he swallowed. A nibble, I could get away with a nibble, right? 

What is wrong with me? I'll tell you what. The man taking care of you as if it's his one purpose in life, is what's wrong with you. "I was thinking more along the lines of recreational demolition."

"Mmm yes. I could do with a little exercise in dodging flying destructive objects."

He snorted, I sighed. I needed to pull myself together. Am I so starved for affection that everything he does this morning is going to send my pheromones spinning? Not affection, just starved for an introduction with his p—whoa! Okay, food. Breakfast. Eggs and bacon. Focus on the food, stay away from deli related innuendos. There ya go, chew, Dalia. Simply eat and sip. 

Then Sebastian's thigh pressed against my mine. Resting there as if that's where it belonged; as if its staked out permanent residency and never again shall it move from my side. There was absolutely no reason why it would touch me, we had more than enough space for him to sit comfortably. Which means this was deliberate. He wanted to stake up residency on my thigh.

This new revelation caused the glass to slip from my fingers too soon as I placed it down. The cup tilted and sprayed water against the countertop, pooling toward us and rapidly landing on his shirt, lap, and my exposed thigh. This was quite literally a cold dousing of horny flames.

"Ah shit. Sorry, Sweets." I reached over with my napkin, trying to catch the water, and managing to push more onto him. Crapola. "Sorry!" I started pushing the puddle toward the counter and not onto Ronaldo's groin. Don't look, don't you dare look.

"Don't worry about it." Sebastian pulled his shirt over his head, draping it over the stool next to him. Oh my...I stared, my swiping motion moving down to sloth's pace. I was still staring—and drooling—when he took the napkin from my hand. The tell-tale signs of a lingering smirk giving me all the proof I needed. Busted.

"If you wanted my shirt off, all you had to do was ask." He replied innocently, tossing the wet napkin toward the sink where it landed with a splat. Bringing me back to all of my senses.

"I couldn't take that chance," I recovered. Shoving as much of my breakfast into my mouth as humanly possible. A much-needed deterrent from propositioning him to show me just how he could manage handling me over this counter like he'd requested that one fateful night.

Sebastian rubbed between my shoulder blades. "How are you feeling? For real?" He asked, pushing his empty plate to the side. While I'd been ogling like a pervert he'd actually been eating. Placing my fork down I looked at him. Really looked at him.

"Not great, but I'll live," I replied with a little smile. His eyes drifted back to the melon throbbing on my scalp. "Lots of aches, Sweets. The cut doesn't bother me much but the swelling on both head bumps is tender." Not surprising if the bruise is an indicator.

"That was very forthcoming of you." He looked surprised. I reached up to trace the face on his arm. Running a finger around the unmarred hairline that was covered by a welt and a purple mosaic on my own head.

"I'm not going to lie to you, Sebastian." Even I could hear the tenderness wrapping around his name. These were not angry times. "I can survive this by joking. I can stay glued together by acknowledging that this is just part of my life. I can pretend that it's not so bad and that it's not a big deal." I lifted my eyes to his, seeking comfort in warm amber and chocolate flecks. "But I can't ignore that the muscles in my calf start to seize if I strain it. Or the way everything hurts right now. And I can't ignore the subtle ache building behind this bruise on my forehead. I'm hurting, Sweets. I can't change that, but I still have you. And that I'm in no hurry to change." I finished on a whisper.

He took my hand in his, tiny to big. Slightly scuffed and scraped to strong and capable. I was fascinated by the difference and didn't see him lean forward, planting a kiss on my forehead. Squeezing my eyes tight, I breathed him in. Enjoying every little stolen moment before my access ran out. Sebastian leaned back, "Thank you for your honesty."

I nodded. "Hard not to be when all you do is care." And that would be his burden when I left. Caring for someone who couldn't stay. Not today though. We don't have to think about that today. Heart to heart or not, he knows me too well. Because I may be aching, but I'm also restless.

"Try and relax, please?" He squeezed my hand. Lifting our plates and heading toward the sink. "And rest. That's on today's agenda. We'll have a late dinner with my sister tonight, but nothing crazy. Movie therapy, naps, I'll read to you if you'd like. Doesn't matter which but we rest." Sebastian raised an eyebrow, waiting for an argument. Fully knowing that I'm prone to them. "You're healing, Pints. I don't want anything to get in the way of that." He shared quietly. I swear I could see him blink something away. A little something that made my heart pitter-pat.

"I know, I know." I played with my glass as Ronaldo turned to the dishes. That headache was trying to build some force behind its little twinge. But watching the muscles shift and flex in Sebastian's back was the best painkiller. The doorbell rang and I stood up to answer it. Hobbling like a seasoned pirate after a bout of scurvy. And lust, can't forget lust.

"Shorts, I said sit." Not to be outsmarted or maneuvered, Sebastian came racing up behind me.

I shuffled closer to the door, hand already on the handle. "I'm not disabled, Sweets. Just banged up." I rolled my eyes. Sebastian swooped an arm around my waist and lifted gently to keep from hurting me further—leaving my feet to dangle. This power move of his was frustrating. Turning me up and on. My head was too vulnerable for this.

"Woman, what part of rest don't you understand. You can't overwork your leg, you just admitted it hurt." He batted my hand away from the knob. "I have half a mind to just tie you to the—" He swung the door open and we both froze.

Standing there was my new lady love. Eyebrow raised, eyes wide, and a slew of bags behind her. She looked us over missing absolutely nothing. Taking in my hoochie sleep shorts and tank top, Sebastian's naked torso and low pajama bottoms. His arm holding me up and pressed against him, head perched on my shoulder and peeking around my cheek at his stunned sister. Ah shit. There was no way she didn't hear that whole conversation.

"Please, Sebbie, don't stop on my account. What exactly did you want to tie her too?" She asked, hiding her smile.

Sebastian let out a deep breath, his head tilting down to examine her baggage. "Eil's I said hotel." He sounded put out but turned around, leaving her to walk in, and hoisted me up higher. "I'll grab those in a minute, let me just deposit Pint Size onto the couch, where she will sit."

"Hey, I can walk." I wiggled in his arm, trying to look over his shoulder at the woman living on his walls. She was preeeettttyyyy. I felt like a kid, mesmerized by the McLoughlin magic. "Aren't you going to introduce me to your sister?"

He pressed his lips to my ear, the touch sending a shock of pleasure to warm every limb attached to my body. I've given up trying to control this reaction. "Darlin' just listen to me this once."

Gaghh. I'm pretty sure I made that noise out loud. "But—"

"Sit, love. Please." Oh god. Goosebumps took over the wave of heat. Did he just say? No, I must have heard him wrong. It's the meds, you see. I didn't have the time to figure it out because he plopped my ass down onto the couch and walked back to the front door to help his sister with her bags.

She walked toward the couch a minute later, eyes bouncing around the room. Catching every detail. Several of my personal items being zeroed in on and cataloged. 

Somehow I got the feeling this would not bode well for me. "Sebbie if I'd known you'd be entertaining a guest, I wouldn't have shown up so early." Her eyes landed on me in fascination. She strode forward hand outstretched and a cheerful smile on her face. "Hi, my name's Eilis, I'm Sebbie's sister." Her smile faltered when she got a good look at me. It didn't take a genius IQ to know what she was gaping at. "Oh my god, what happened to you?"

She dropped down next to me, gingerly taking my head into her hands and rotating my head down to look at the monstrosity that now resided on my head. I winced when her fingers accidentally brushed against my equally impressive lump on the back of my head.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" She pulled her hands away. "Sebbie what the hell did you do to this poor woman?"

"I didn't do anything." He came over to us, extending a water glass and a palm-filled with my two pills. I took them obediently and sipped. Watching them with perverse interest. Sebastian with his family, I've been dying to see this.

"I'm Dalia." I pulled his sister's attention back to me. "This was an accident."

"Sebastian!" She rounded on him.

"It wasn't me!" He threw his hands up defensively. "She was attacked last night by a mugger. We've sort of had a long night." Sebastian sat down on his two-seater looking every bit as exhausted as I felt. We slipped back into our story from last night like a well-fitted glove. I guess it was showtime.

"Holy shit, are you okay?" She gripped my hands in hers, eyes now cataloging the rest of me for injuries with concern. Well, this was going just swell.

"A few bumps and bruises but I'm to live another day." I joked. Sort of.

Sebastian snorted. "Hardly a few bumps, Lia." His eyes warmed in amusement. He was slowly coming around on this whole thing. Finally able to smile when I joked about my injuries instead of grimly staring at a wall, or at me.

"So it was a sleepover night." Eilis looked between us, placing her detective hat on.

"Every night is a sleepover night," Ronnie answered his sister. "She's my roommate, Eil's. I told you that when I said you needed a hotel room."

Her pretty eyes widened. "I thought you were joking."

"I assured you I was not. And lucky for you," he wagged his finger at her. "I booked a room for you. You're welcome." Sebastian winked at me.

Eilis turned back to me, a new form of interest in her eyes. "You said Dalia, right?" I nodded. "Hmmm."

Hmmm, what's hmmm? A little nitch of discomfort settled in the lowest part of my stomach. Feeling like the world's tiniest cramp. I tried to swat the awful suspicion aside but it was hard to ignore. She's not going to be happy with me.

"Well, I've heard so much about you. It's great to finally put a face to the name." She smiled wide, pearly whites on display. The warmth of it so much like Ronnie's, but there was something in her eyes that made me feel like I was being dissected. That a judging panel was deciding my fate and I don't even recall being brought up on stage.

Sweets had taken this moment to go grab his sister some coffee, handing her the mug with care. She hadn't asked for it but thanked him with a grateful look. He rested on the armrest of the other couch. I wanted to take advantage of this moment to slip away before I could be asked further questions.

Moving to sit up, Sebastian immediately interjected, "Sit. SIT. It's like you opt into selective hearing when I speak to you sometimes." He looked at me with irritated disbelief.

"I can't lounge around in pajamas all day." I lifted and shook my good leg for emphasis. "A lady could catch a deathly chill like this."

"Her delicate state could leave her vulnerable to a cold." Eilis chimed in, hiding a grin behind her mug, throwing me a wink. New lady love...even if you are suspicious.

"Doesn't mean you actually have to move, I could just bring you your clothes." Sebastian looked at me anxiously, eyes locking onto my semi-stitched leg and hairline. This was going to require a lot of time to get used to.

"You just want to peek into my panty drawer, scoundrel."

Sebastian's lids dropped to a rather sultry level, an evil grin stretching his lips. "I can handle a woman's undergarments, Shorts."

Ohhh, I masked my shudder with a pillow throw. Naughty Ronaldo bringing up bridal shop blunders in front of his sister. He laughed and Eilis looked at him, not exactly startled but surprised. Curious.

That was my cue to leave and change. Sweets and I were being a little too comfortable with each other. I got up slowly, mindful of my Frankenstein glue stitch.

Sebastian was still on the armrest. "You'll never listen, will you."

I walked up to him and pinched his cheek between my fingers. My barely clad chest-pillows brushing against his still very gloriously naked pecs. It was absolutely obscene and I hope Eilis had a vat of memory bleach to scrub this little diddy clean from her frontal lobe. "Oh, Ronaldo, haven't you figured out yet that I'm a hurricane?"

He tweaked my nose in return, ending on a boop. Blasted boops. "I've figured it out, I'm just learning to brace within the storm."

I needed to pull away, lest we subjected Eilis to something a decades worth of therapy could never erase. It's gotta be bad enough that he's sitting there sinfully half-naked, while I was practically rubbing against him. Not by choice, mind you, he had a way of reeling one in. Making you absolutely forget that this was not how roommates behaved.

I shuffled away. Parting with a "back soon". The joke of the century as the longer I stayed still, the stiffer my calf got.

It took longer than expected to make myself presentable. Even with food in my stomach and plenty of rest, I got hit with dizzy spells. I imagined the antibiotic painkiller cocktail didn't help. I felt funny in a way that only an exhausted body could behave.

When I was ready, I took a breather at the bathroom door. Okay, Dalia. Let's get this show on the road.

We relaxed, dined, laughed, and talked. Sebastian teasing his sister at every turn and Eilis watching us like a hawk under the simple guise of trying to get to know me. Spending the time with her was making my lady love solidify. Even with the hawk-eyes, she's been so kind and considerate. Picking up on when I needed help and when to back off. Watching her with Ronaldo was everything I hoped to witness. The affection, the teasing, the laughs. They clearly had a great relationship.

After lunch I found myself digging around my room for my sweater. I felt cold, really cold. A symptom I chalked up to exhaustion. It was as I was leaning over my hamper, trying to find my favorite slouchy sweater, that I jumped and nearly catapulted headfirst into the wall. Something I could not afford to happen.

Sebastian's hands were around my waist, pulling me back toward him so that I didn't add a third hit to the old noggin. But finding my ass pressed against his crotch wasn't entirely better. It took a great deal of dead-leg maneuvering to shift so that my tush was safely away from Ronaldo's groin. A result I both lamented and panicked over. "Hey."

"Jesus, Sweets. Easy on the popping up." I rubbed at my sternum, trying to ease my heart. "What are you creeping in here for? Where's your sister?" Ever aware of the watching, I tried to look around Sebastian to make sure we didn't have an audience.

"On the phone with my mom, we have about ten minutes. Look, I've been thinking. Something I should have done yesterday, but I was a little distracted." He smiled ruefully.

I pushed away from him, giving us space while keeping my eye focused on that doorway. Sebastian handed me my sweater, the one that had been laying in plain sight on my pile of clothes on the bed. "Do what?" I asked, attempting to pull the garment over my head.

"Document the injuries," He replied.

My arms dropped, sweater wrapped around my elbows but not further. I eyeballed him in confusion. "Why?"

"In case you ever need them." He stared at me meaningfully. Transmitting his reasoning with a single look. Ah, got it. As evidence. I shook my head. "Lia. It's just precautionary. We don't need to do anything but when you need them—"

"If. If." I pointed a finger at him through my sweater tangle.

"If you need them, you can use them. Whatever the choice, it will always be your call." I wouldn't ever need them. I was never going to fight, but he looked so determined and hopeful. If this made him feel better, I couldn't find it in me to say no.

I exhaled begrudgingly, "Fine."

"Trust me on this. You won't regret it." He stepped back. Immediately pulling out his phone and taking a three-quarter shot. Then systematically cataloged each bruise, bump, and gash starting with my leg. 

When he got to the bump on the back of my head, he lifted the hair gently, snapping a quick photo. His finger tracing down my neck at a snail's pace. His thumb rubbing soothing circles into the base, lulling me into the wonderful contact.

"Just the front now."

I nodded, swallowing every rioting emotion. He cradled my face in one hand as he took the picture from the top. Gently moving my head for different angles. Up close, I imagined it looked worse. 

The pad of his thumb rubbed at my cheek. He looked gutted as he traced the outline of my injury with his eyes. There was a restless, hopelessness to his attention. Faintly, he leaned in and pressed his lips to my jaw; resting against it when the reality became too much. The sweater bound me in place but my hands still sought his sides. Gripping and pulling him closer even though I knew I should be pushing away. This was our cycle; our doom.

Another press greeted my skin—marginally closer to the corner of my mouth. If I just turn...

I wanted to keep them. I wanted to keep all of them. But stolen kisses were like migratory birds. Nesting in place for a fraction of a season and there was no guarantee they'd be back once they were gone.

He'd tucked his phone away and pulled back, cradling my neck and head as if I'd break apart at any moment. As if by sheer force he could keep me together and safe.

"That should do it." My hands drifted toward his wrists, gripping them for support. Injury, lust, there was no telling what was the real culprit of me swaying forward.

"We won't need them," I spoke softly, trying to keep myself from face planting directly onto his mouth. I wanted his taste.

"You never know, Darlin'," He whispered.

"Sebbie?" His sister's voice met us shortly before she appeared at the door. Eyes watching us suspiciously. I had stepped back as quickly as her call registered. "What's up?" I floundered to come up with a response and Sebastian jumped in to save the day. All I saw was the squeaky wheels turning in Eilis' head.

Goddammit...

***

I stretched in the library chair as the sun played with the horizon. After the almost busted that-which-was-not-what-it-looked-like tete-a-tete, I thought it wise to give Ronaldo and his sister some time alone. They'd watched a movie while I slunk off to his library with the urge to read. 

About an hour ago I'd heard Sebastian go into his office, most likely to work even though we were on break. I knew the workaholic couldn't resist. He had peeked in to let me know his sister was napping on the couch.

He'd lingered for a bit, chatting me up. Maybe he was putting off working, most would assume so, but I knew better. Ronaldo was observing, making sure I was doing alright. He took his nursing duties very seriously. 

Now, after lounging and hiding for the better part of the afternoon, I had a hankering to return the favor and bug Sweets. I missed him, which made absolutely no sense since he's only in the next room. And we spend far too much time together already...

I padded across the room and closed the door quietly behind me, not wanting to wake Eilis if she was still sleeping. His door was ajar, all the better to sneak in.

"Sebbie, you got a minute?" Or not. I stopped out of view of his door, hiding just behind the frame and away from that open space. Seemed he was already busy.

"For you, always." It was the oddest thing, I could see his face clearly when I closed my eyes. I knew he would be smiling at her. Showing a hint of teeth, like he was amused. I knew that his eyes would brighten when he looked at her. And I knew that he was most likely leaning against his desk, arms crossed, but his demeanor completely open. 

I could see it because that's how he looked when I pestered him. And that made me frown, I wasn't supposed to know these things. "Have a good nap?"

"Not bad. I forgot how comfortable your couch is." She paused for a moment. "You snuck off without a thought."

"Watching you sleep doesn't fall under my brotherly duties, dork." He snorted. "That would be extremely creepy."

"So you've just been in here," I strained to hear during another pause. "The whole time?"

"Yes." Sebastian drew out the word.

"And you're sure you're not busy?"

I was certain Sweets was slowly shaking his head. Call it a hunch. "What's up?"

"Mom and Dad will be in tomorrow." She jumped in, nonchalantly." I couldn't put my finger on it but this line of questioning was making my brain itch. I knew I should walk away, this was a private conversation and so far all arrows were pointing to "this is bad m'kay" territory. But part of me was curious to listen to Ronaldo with his family when there wasn't an audience. I was a terrible person.

"They are. Why are you really here, Puppet. Come on, out with it." Was that a possible smug smirk? He always did love to show off that he knew exactly what you wanted. The mind-reading that drove me insane most of the time.

"Right, so Dalia..." Ah, here we go. Can't say I'm surprised.

"Darlin' Dalia." He said with a baby sigh. "She's pretty great, right?"

His sister laughed lightly. So light you could almost see the flag rising through the mist. "Yea, she's nice." Oh. I grimaced. If it looks like suspicion and smells like suspicion, it's definitely you're fucked.

"She is that." Aaaannnddd there was the firmness building in his voice. His eyebrow would be raising and his lips thinning. Sebastian was locking down, unhappy and unpleased. "What is it, Eils?"

There was silence and I wished I could see what was going on. There was a whole conversation happening with just their eyes—I knew there had to be and I was missing it.

Finally, Eilis spoke. "What's going on with you two?" My head dropped. It wasn't the question that was a knock to the gut but more like the tone. I hated being right. I told-you-so's sucked, especially when they were to yourself.

"We're friends—roommates—and she works for me."

"Right, she does. You're her boss, Sebastian. Don't you think it's cutting it a little close?" I heard a creak and I'm assuming Ronaldo pushed off from the desk to stand towering over his sister—he liked that move, it was his favorite.

"Close to what?" Yikes, he was getting angry.

"I'm not blind, Sebbie." Nice, using nicknames to ease the tension. Should come as no surprise that Eilis knew how to handle her brother. Also doesn't take the sting away from that effin tone. "You two look awfully comfy and you're here saying—"

"We live together, Eilis." Ew, full names were never a good sign. "I spend 90% of my time around her since we're under one roof all of the time. Of course we're comfortable around each other. The only times I don't see her is when I'm sleeping or in the restroom. Is that what you wanted to hear?" I was holding my breath, chewing on my thumbnail. I didn't have anything in particular to look at so my eyes were bouncing around, landing on everything around me.

"Okay, I'm sorry." She eased off. Fuck she was good. "I'm only concerned okay?"

"Concerned about what?" He asked roughly. "What exactly causes you anxiety, Eilis?" He keeps repeating her full name and that is really no bueno. It was giving me anxiety.

"Watch your tone." Her voice steeled. "I'm not one of your employees."

"Answer the question."

"Fine, for starters, what do you really know about her?"

"More than enough." He replied coolly. "And all of it is none of your business. You want to know about her? Go talk to her. Hang out. Hell, you may even like what you learn."

"Don't get snappy with me, Sebastian." Ewwwww, I see this was a family trait. I closed my eyes to focus. "I have no problem getting to know her. I told you, I think she's nice. Funny. Really entrancing actually." There was a but in there...

"But you have a really big, welcoming heart." She inhaled. "A beautiful, caring, big heart. And I worry that someone will take advantage of it. You've always been incredibly smart with people. You've worked so hard and I am so proud of you. I'd hate to see it fall apart because you got a little careless and fell for some sob story."

"I still know how to be incredibly smart with people, Eilis. Heart is safe and well protected, don't worry about that. "

"Then why aren't you guarding it with her?" She asked quietly. He scoffed. "Roll your eyes but I'm your sister. I know when two plus two equals four."

"I don't need to guard it against her." Damn it, Ronaldo, you're defensiveness is not helping... "You think she told me some sob story to get into my home and under my skin?" He paused for a moment than drilled it home, "To get to my wallet?"

It didn't appear Eilis would answer that but something she did must have told him yes.

"You think I'm being played." The steel bite to that tone sent a shudder through me. This was not one of my favorite Ronaldo's. "We're not strangers, Eils. I've known her for the better part of a year. I take my vetting process seriously, you know that."

"Well, what am I supposed to think?" I pictured her shrugging her shoulder. The same way she had in the kitchen earlier when asked about some ex. "Last I heard was how she was giving you so much trouble at the shop. Then I show up here and surprise, she's your roommate. Not just roomie but living with you. You're giggling in corners, tossing around inside jokes. You're smiling all the time." Her voice sweetened the longer she went. Like she couldn't fight the upturn of her own lips. "Smile so big when you look at her. You're always finding a reason to touch her, did you know that?" 

I pressed hard against the wall. My eyes shut so tight it hurt. I shouldn't be listening to this. "Like you can't help yourself. You've got pet names. Not just one either. No, you have an array of pet names for specific occasions. I think you're sweet on her. And all of this would thrill me if I was certain she wasn't going to hurt you."

"You've been talking to Blake." He replied quietly.

"Of course I have. Same circles, Sebbie. I'm bound to run into him some time." You could hear her still smiling. "Besides, he's like the plague. You can't get rid of him once he latches on."

"Then he should have told you that she was a good person. One of the best that I know." His voice tightened, as if he was in on a very big secret. What did Sebastian know...

"And this is all from her?"

"I have other ways to know. Isn't my judgment enough?"

"We all think that, Sebbie. You know as much as I do how the things we want to see can lead to real devastation. That our judgment can be fooled by charm, beauty. I don't want you to make my mistakes." I heard her sniffle. What story was she hiding?

"Eils..." He deflated, I could feel it. "I'm not sweet on her." Well, that hurt more than it should. My head dropped further, chin to chest. "I'm not. I admire her. And I care for her a lot. She's become a really good friend. Trust me on that."

I shouldn't be here. My teeth pressed into my lip and I could feel the tears building. Fool. It's like her voice was right in my ear. "You still don't believe me. Sit down." The sofa creaked and Sebastian took in much-needed air to continue.

That was it, my time to leave. They tell you listening in to what you ought not to, will end up hurting only the uninvited ear. And they weren't wrong. I tiptoed to my room silently. Once safely inside, I pressed against the door and let myself feel. The tears cruising down my cheeks with no resistance. My jaw clenched to keep from sobbing. Great. So his sister thinks I'm a gold digger and Sebastian isn't sweet on me. All good things. Only I was the idiot who fell in—

"Don't. If you say it then it's real. If it's real then you can't escape it." I whispered through a jagged breath. My legs caved, causing me to slip down to the floor. I ignored the pain in my calf. My eyes eased open and I stared right out the window. Focusing on the clouds casting the sky in grey, swallowing up the peaks of the tallest high risers. Misty fingers stretching out to consume. I wish they'd consume me. "What am I doing here?" I always knew this would end in heartache. At least I now had the comfort to know it would only be mine. Attraction doesn't equate to interest. I know that. But convincing myself this was good felt like nails clawing down my airway. Sebastian and Eilis' footsteps sounded down the hall.

"Lia, we're heading out for dinner." He was already in the living room. Waiting for me to open my door and come out.

I wiped my nose against my sleeve. When I was sure my voice wouldn't break, I called out, "I'm actually not feeling well. My heads bothering me, I think I'll sit this one out." I looked up and let the tears fall silently. Coating my cheeks in salty tracks, leaving a path for my heartache to follow. There were some perks to getting your head bashed in by psychos.

"Your head?" His voice—drowning in concern and anxiety—was on the other side so quickly, I jumped, nearly bumping my sore scalp.

"Yea, but only a dull ache. Nothing more than expected." I focused on the carpet. "Just need some rest."

"You sure?" Damn it, Ronnie...

"Mmmhmm, positive."

"We could stay here, I can make us something." I shook my head against the thought. He couldn't hover. I couldn't breathe if he hovered.

"No that's fine. I won't be much company anyway." The longer I talked, the more I feared he'd pick out the ill-veiled nuances of my edges fraying. Pointing out I haven't opened the door.

"Okay," he hesitated, waiting expectantly. "Let me know if it gets worse?" I nodded slowly before finding my voice.

"I will," I replied in a hush. He rapped once on the wood.

"Feel better, Shorts, I'll see you later. Text me if you need anything."

It was quiet for a beat and I was certain he was still standing there, listening. I pressed the back of my hand to my mouth to stem the flow of my tears. As if that was enough to reverse them. Finally, I heard him talking to Eilis at the door, and its finalizing click close.

I crawled to my bed and faced the window. I didn't belong here. The moment catching me all at once. Bathilda, head injury, kidnap, heartache, con artist. The words circled in my mind, chipping away on my strength like an F5 tornado, and then I wept. The sobs causing me to rock back and forth uncontrollably. Refilling my head with more of that concrete. Each rack adding onto the pain that seemed to have become my daily anchor. Before long, I was slumped onto my covers. No not mythe covers... reminding myself that this was all his. I had no place here. By some grace, I drifted off to sleep. But not before acknowledging that I had to put this all behind.

My time here has run its course and there was nothing more I could do about that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 82.3K 82
Daksh singh chauhan - the crowned prince and future king of Jodhpur is a multi billionaire and the CEO of Ratore group. He is highly honored and resp...
3.4K 828 50
|Updates every Tuesdays| "Come with me." I laugh and wipe the beads of sweat off my forehead. "And why would you think I'd go anywhere with you?" I...
1M 67.2K 33
"You all must have heard that a ray of light is definitely visible in the darkness which takes us towards light. But what if instead of light the dev...
2.7M 61.2K 81
Diana is an 18 year old girl about to start her senior year until she bumps into a woman at the bookstore who has quite the personality. The woman ta...