Marcus' Prey

By EpsilonAngel

*Book two in the Hell's Company series* He was a disgrace, fallen from a once lofty peak to the depths of the... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen: Part One
Chapter Thirteen: Part Two
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Four

11.6K 603 348
By EpsilonAngel

      Ohhhh man! I'm back at it!

Let me tell you, it has been a ROUGH couple of weeks. I had an oral presentation, an essay, and four midterms all due...in a two day period! FML.

But I only have one more (6 page, gross) essay due before the break, so ya girl is getting in some quality writing time in the next two weeks. Oh, also I'm adopting a dog. EEEEEEEEK! His name is Kyote and I love his face. (Pic above)

But that's not important. What's important is that I'll be updating more over the next two weeks. This is only the beginning...MUAHAHAHA!

I hope y'all enjoy this one...it's a bit...more than LG was in some ways. Hope y'all don't hate it...tbh I'm not sure how you'll react. 

I'm yammering, my bad. Enjoy the chapter!

E <3

~

     As soon as my tail, Meg, left, I knew I had to leave again. Ahead of schedule. Unfortunately, leaving now would be more consistent than I'd like. I'd stayed in the past three towns before this for two-day periods, and I'd been in this one for two days. The key to running was inconsistency, but that smug mage had just taken that option away from me. I'd have to be the biggest idiot on Earth to stay another night here.

Call me what you will, I was no idiot.

I turned back to my motel, walking briskly, but not so hurried that I garnered unnecessary attention.

The thin line I was always walking, it seemed.

It would've been smarter to ditch my motel room and everything inside it. I needed to get the hell out of dodge, and I needed to do it now. But I was too damn sentimental. My father had always referred to it as my "human weakness". I wasn't all angel. Regardless, there were some things I couldn't afford to leave behind.

When I finally made it back to the run-down, seedy motel I was staying in, I was in a state of full-blown paranoia. Every movement had me palming my many hidden daggers and weapons, simply for reassurance. As far as I was concerned, everyone was the enemy.

Honestly, it wasn't that foreign a concept to me. That was how I'd lived the last few years of my life, after all. The happy, ignorant years with my mother were nothing more than a distant dream.

I unlocked the door to my room, slamming the flimsy wooden barrier shut and locking it as quickly as I could. Then, for good measure, I threw the bolt into place and secured the chain. Overkill? Definitely. But anything or anyone coming through that door would make enough of a commotion to alert me. So, overkill or not, it was necessary for my peace of mind.

Packing my meager belongings took very little time, though every passing moment felt like an eternity. I had few material things close to my heart; the photos of my mother, when she was shining and beautiful and healthy, an ancient tome of creatures my father had given me to research my immortal targets, and finally, my most prized possession; the jackal stuffed animal my mother had gotten me on our last visit to the zoo. She'd been so sick and skinny then, and I'd been so enraptured by the jackal exhibit. Mom had compared her prominent ribs to theirs, and we'd laughed. She'd kept her sense of humor until the very end.

Keeping it was childish. Honestly, it was downright idiotic. In a survival situation, stuffed toys should've been the last thing on my mind. And yet I'd sooner leave a limb behind than abandon him.

He was a he, after all. I'd named him Inua, which was a native word for the spirit, and my mother had been so proud. She'd loved that I'd taken such a deep interest in her, and my, culture. I'd always loved listening to her stories.

Inua was my dearest friend. My protector. His perky ears and tapered snout brought me joy in the darkest days of my life. I'd held him close at night. When I'd been too exhausted to keep watch, his yellow eyes did it for me.

I knew that jackals were regarded with fear by many, but I'd always been a starry-eyed child with a passion for the stories of the misunderstood. Scar had been my favorite character in The Lion King. In the movie Hercules, Hades had been the one I mooned after.

They were just like me.

Now, holding Inua to my chest, his familiar softness and scent calmed my building anxiety, slowing my racing heart. I could do this. I was good at running away. No one had caught me.

Yet.

I shivered at the ominous thought. Slinging the small backpack over my shoulders, I threw a few wadded bills on the bed for the maid and started toward the door.

There was a knock.

A normal person would have died if they were in my position. A normal person might've frozen. They might've answered the door, looking through the peephole to see if it was a friend first.

The difference was, I didn't have any friends.

So, I did none of these things.

I darted to the window, opening it easily and punching out the screen. I was on the second floor, and though the height wasn't dizzying, it still made me pause.

The door slammed open with a shriek of rending metal.

I whirled just in time to see one of my brothers stalking towards me, murder in his blood-red eyes.

"Got you now, you little bit-"

His sentence cut off, incomplete, as one of my many throwing knives buried itself in his throat. Right on target, as always.

I didn't wait for any other unexpected family members to come barreling through. I was in no mood for a reunion. And there would be others. They never worked alone. Unlike me, they were pack animals. Like rabid, slavering wolves, they hunted together, sharing in the spoils.

I vaulted from the window, rolling to take the pressure of the fall from my joints. Then, I ran.

Luckily, I hadn't been stupid enough to park my ride in the front parking lot. There were too many eyes there, and heading out the front door wasn't what I would call a reliable escape plan. So, I'd stashed my bike in the woods behind the motel, like a smart assassin. I just had to follow the trail.

It wasn't as low-key as I would've liked. The path was dirt, yet hard-packed from years of feet, and plenty obvious. No one wanted to hide it, after all. It was winding and covered well by trees and shrubbery, but the path was wide and well-known.

I felt terribly exposed as I made my way down the path, as discreetly as I could manage. I hugged the edge of the path, clutching the dagger I had nestled inside my black fleece coat. My heart was in my throat, and I felt sure that anyone within five feet of me could have heard it. My breath wanted to come in rapid gasps, and only my training kept instinct on such a tight reign. I couldn't afford to

And then, the silence was broken.

"What's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?" A rumbly male voice, deep and resonant, reached my ears, sending my already racing heart into overdrive. With terror, of course. Naturally.

I barely took the time to process what the stranger had said before I whipped a blade through the air in the voice's general direction.

I barely allowed myself to catch a glimpse of gray skin and red eyes before I bolted.

If I killed him, then I'd be fine. Running would be unnecessary. But, better safe than sorry. If I hadn't killed him, then I'd like a head start.

Sure enough, I heard heavy footfalls behind me, along with a low, masculine growl of frustration. I sped up, my feet barely kissing the ground as I flew down the path, trees and sky blurring around me.

I was far faster than any of my siblings, and I had a head start. This particular brother of mine would soon learn that the hard way, when I was riding my bike miles ahead of his sorry behind.

My smug train of thought halted abruptly, giving way to shock and horror when a large, heavily muscled forearm looped around my waist, swinging me hard to the right, using my own momentum to slam me into a rough tree trunk. The breath left my lungs on impact, my face pressed hard against the craggy bark, and I managed zero power on my counter strike as I slashed out behind me. The blade was swiftly and efficiently twisted from my grip, thudding to the dirt lightly several feet from us.

"Gods damn it, woman!" The mystery man growled, half irritated and half impressed, "I just very nearly shattered your bones there, and you still tried to stab me?"

I heaved a rattling breath, pain lancing across my ribcage.

I didn't bother to reply, kicking out behind me and connecting solidly with a random, yet effective, body part. There was a low, male grunt of pain, managed to twist around in the male's iron grip to face him.

I froze.

I expected the crimson eyes, of course. And the pale skin. But this...this was not one of my siblings.

None of my brothers would ever, ever make me feel...like this.

He was tall-well, everyone was tall next to me, but still, he must've been just over six foot. His forearms flexed and rippled as they worked to restrain my wrists, his hips and chiseled body easily pinning me between him and the trunk of the spruce tree. His hair gleamed like the metal of a warrior's blade, even in the dim light of the almost set sun. It was shorn close to his scalp on the sides, yet long and wild on the top. His cheekbones were so high and sharp that he easily put Benedict Cumberbatch to shame. As his utterly kissable lips parted in shock, he revealed glimpses of a terrifying set of fangs, far larger than any my siblings possessed.

"Mine." He growled, his deep baritone low and possessive. I pretended the bone-deep shiver that followed was due to the cold of the evening rather than him. I was quite good at being delusional.

He appeared just as awestruck as I was. But, luckily for me, I snapped out of it first.

I smiled sweetly at his perfect face, all the while hooking my calf around his thigh and, in a sudden burst of movement, jerking it inward to force him off-balance. His grip on my wrists slackened slightly, but it was enough. I slipped from his grip and threw myself to the side, rolling and coming up into a defensive crouch. I had planned on running, but to my dismay, he'd recovered just as quickly. He was on his feet, tossing my dagger lightly from hand to hand, regarding me with amusement.

If he seriously thought that was my only weapon, he was in for a rude awakening.

"Who are you?" As I spoke, I drew another blade from the sheath at the back of my neck, which didn't anger him as it should. He looked at the weapon, almost...amused? My eyes darted behind him quickly, looking for his companions.

They never came alone. They wouldn't be so stupid. They knew it took more than one to take me on. He seemed to be alone, but I couldn't trust that. He may be alone now, but I simply couldn't allow myself to believe that it would remain that way. For all I knew, he had an army coming this way, ready to jump out to subdue me at any moment.

I would've been flattered if it weren't so terrifying.

"That's a good question," the male mumbled, before adding in a normal voice, "put the dagger down, Nephilim. Make this easier for the both of us."

I snorted in derision.

"I have no interest in making anything easier for you, stranger. And I have a sneaking suspicion that surrendering wouldn't do me any favors."

As I spoke, my eyes never ceased their movement, searching for any weaknesses in his guard.

There were none. In fact, if I didn't know any better, I'd say he had negative weaknesses. He also smelled like an intoxicating mixture of spruce needles and cinnamon; perhaps a distracting mechanism? As much as I hated to admit it, everything about this stranger was distracting-no, captivating.

Pity I had to kill him.

"Perceptive," the stranger drawled, his mouth pulling up into a stupidly attractive smirk. "When I came to find Michael's favorite, I had every intention of taking your head. But," his eyes dragged their way slowly from my toes to the top of my head, "you aren't Cursed, are you? You're Blessed."

What the hell was he blabbering on about? I certainly didn't feel blessed. Anyone who knew my father would know God was bullshit. I shuddered to imagine the evil that would create a creature like my father and allow him to run wild.

No, I was the opposite of blessed.

"I don't know what you're talking about, but if I'm not who you're looking for-"

"I didn't say that, sweetling." The stranger purred, his voice dripping with honey, "I'd planned on taking your head with me-but now? I'm keeping all of you."

I opened my mouth to deliver a suitably scathing reply, when my breath froze in my throat. Behind the stranger, Josiah's cold, black eyes glared hatefully at me.

Josiah, Malcolm, and Kane were triplets, and the only siblings of mine that truly made my blood run icy with fear. Because all my brothers and sisters wanted to kill me. That no longer scared me. It was a fact of life. But the triplets planned on "enjoying" me first.

Father, despite every terrible thing he'd done, protected me from their twisted desires.

Father wasn't doing that anymore. I had to protect myself now. And the very thought was terrifying.

I threw my dagger over the stranger's shoulder, but the triplets were some of the most powerful of my siblings, and Josiah dodged the blade like a viper.

A noise on my right alerted me to another triplet's presence. I turned just in time to see Kane emerge, a fist headed towards my face. I stepped to the side, drawing another blade from my side and slashing upwards. I heard a chilling roar and felt my strike connect before I turned to run.

I couldn't, of course. The stranger was in my way, his smirk now disappeared from his annoyingly attractive face. Somehow, he still managed to look casual for a male with his foot planted into the throat of Malcolm, the third triplet. My brother clawed at his calf before the stranger bore down, crushing his windpipe with frightening ease. When Josiah let out an irate cry and launched himself at the stranger, he simply unsheathed a sword at his waist and removed my brother's head as if it were nothing.

"You little bitch!" An enraged snarl escaped from Kane as his brothers took their final gurgling breaths.

The stranger was a blur, moving so fast that my hair blew up in the rush of air he created as he passed me.

Before I could so much as blink, he had Kane by the throat, his pale face inches from my brother's shocked one.

"I would tell you to mind your tongue, but if I'm being honest with you," the stranger's voice was calm, but obviously furious, "you won't live long enough to take my advice."

I saw the stranger reach up-likely to break Kane's neck-and I knew how this would end.

I whirled and took off, leaping over the bodies of Malcolm and Josiah without even a twinge of remorse. They had had it coming, and if I wasn't positive it would land me a lifetime of torture, I'd give the stranger one heck of a hug. As it was, I'd settled on running to my bike and booking it out of this town.

I just prayed I'd gotten enough of a head start on the stranger. He'd proven himself far faster than me before, a situation I was unaccustomed to and decidedly uncomfortable with.

I leaped and dodged over fallen trunks as I veered off the path on a more direct route to my bike. One stray branch whipped across my cheek sharply, making my eyes water and my vision blur, but I didn't slow down. I couldn't afford to.

My bike had just come into sight, causing a flicker of hope to come to life behind my ribs, when a wall materialized in front of me.

By wall, I, of course, meant the stranger.

I didn't have time to slow down, colliding at full-tilt into his hard chest. Surprisingly, he didn't topple over as I expected, but absorbed the shock of my charge with only a slight masculine grunt. I didn't react quickly enough, and burly arms looped around me, pinning my arms to my sides. My thrashing didn't so much as budge him. In fact, he had the gall to let out a deep chuckle at my attempts.

"With daggers and knives in hand, you're a force to be reckoned with. But," he grinned roguishly down at me, "in a contest of strength, I'm afraid I have you beat."

No, really? I hadn't noticed.

I glowered up at him. His arrogance would be my ticket to freedom. I just had to buy some time.

"Kill me then, and get it over with." I snapped, refusing to give into the fear that coiled deep in my gut. Emotion was weakness your enemy could use against you. So, I repressed it, no matter how much I wanted to curl into a ball and cry.

As my father said: crying was for children and weaklings, and I was neither.

"Kill you? I thought I made it clear I wanted to keep you, babygirl." That voice. So soft and deep and rumbly; it was made to make a girl swoon.

As he spoke, I twisted my hand carefully, and little vines slowly began to emerge from the soil, wrapping around his calves lightly. The dirt began to close over his boots, ready to solidify into solid rock on my command.

"Keep me? So you can, what? Torture me...you...you sick fuck?" I renewed my efforts to escape. I spat the poisonous words, but it left me feeling empty. That was what would happen if my attempts didn't succeed. At my accusation, the stranger frowned, his silvery brows crashing together in displeasure.

"Now that was rude, sweetling. I'll let the language slide, because I know you're scared-"

"I'm not scared!" I interrupted, baring my teeth at him. His mouth firmed into a hard line of displeasure.

Then, an arm that was holding me lifted briefly, and crashed down on my bottom. I yelped and jumped forward, my eyes widening in shock.

"I don't interrupt you when you speak, and I expect the same courtesy from you, sweetling."

I was struck speechless, my cheeks heating with an unknown emotion. He looked pleased at my reaction, a genuine smile lighting up his face and further taking my breath away.

"You respond so beautifully to discipline. What a good girl," he crooned, making my body squirm oddly and shivers run down my spine.

"As I was saying, I don't plan on harming you. No one will ever hurt you while I'm around, babygirl."

Lies. Being hurt was my life. It could never end.

The sharp reminder of reality brought my cement wall crashing down again, and I glared up at the stranger venomously.

"Let. Me. Go." I managed from between clenched teeth. The stranger smirked arrogantly.

"Not happening," He replied, and now it was my turn to smile, a smile devoid of mirth.

I drove my knee into his thigh, (which is an area of the body more tender than most gave it credit for) and he winced, loosening his grip slightly. It was enough. I twisted away, waving my hand to tighten the vines and turn the soil to rock. He grunted in frustration, but I didn't stay around to gloat. I sprinted through the trees, his furious roaring far behind me.

When I finally got to my bike, I almost cried with relief. Swinging my leg over and starting the engine, I sped away, leaving the stranger behind.

~

OH DAYM!

What did y'all think of that? We got to see more of Kaiah in action, and see Marcus' reaction. 

Any thoughts on their back-and-forth?

Glad the triplets are rotting in Hell? I know I am. Mofos.

Anyway, I'm off. See you next time!

E<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

613K 16.4K 43
3rd and 1st Person Point Of View (POV) Book - Semi-Cliché - NOT incest ------------------------------ The hunt. It came every year like clockwork. A...
7.5M 77.5K 6
*Book one in the Hell's Company series* Lucifer was the brightest angel in Heaven, But in service of God, he was condemned to darkness. After thousan...
3.9M 131K 58
Never speak unless spoken to. Never look into his eyes. Never step out of line. Never speak his name. Never turn your back to him. And most of a...
114K 4.3K 30
keaton is adopted by his big sister Luna cassie and her mate alpha kane. there father jude white was abusive towards them but mainly luna cassie as s...