The Runaway

Galing kay JaneKiley713

Daniel is an aspiring lawyer, like his Uncle Keegan. He has plans to become a member of parliament, even Prim... Higit pa

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Recent Events
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Epilogue

Chapter 1

305 11 1
Galing kay JaneKiley713

October1843

I cradled Matthew to my chest, searching desperately for shelter. We had been evicted from our space over a week ago and no one would employ me. I was far too pregnant to be able to hide my condition from anyone. My money was running thin, most of it going to feed my son. I hadn't had a proper meal in weeks. My movements, as lethargic as they were, moved us along the bustling streets of London. My body ached for a bed, for anything more than water. I feared that my baby would not survive much longer.

"Momma," Matthew moaned, fisting his hands around my collar. I knew he was starving beyond belief. I only had enough change for one small meal left for the two of us. Very few vendors would sell to me, and I was afraid that we would starve. I had already begged three vendors, but because of my state, their pious ideals refused my business.

"I know, my love. Just a few more minutes," I whispered, pressing another kiss to his head. I hated to see him suffering, but it was better than staying with his father.

"I miss Aunty."

"I do too, my love. She's still trying to leave Uncle without him noticing." That bastard of a man had his minions looking for Emmet and I for months. Luckily, Isabella had an ally, Mr. Green, who was our courier. Richard made my blood boil under my skin. He had the audacity to abuse Isabella and me, to neglect his daughters and favor Matthew. He treated me like my father treated my mother, like my brother treated me. They made me sick to my core.

"I want to go home," He whispered, looking into my eyes. I had nothing to say. I knew he wanted to go home, as did I. But I could not endanger our lives any longer. I was nearly knocked off my feet from my lack of attention, and the poor innocent passerby had stumbled as well. I clutched Matthew closer as well as my stomach, out of fear I suppose.

"Ma'am, are you alright?" A man asked, grabbing my upper arms. I flinched out of his grasp, a gross habit I had. My gaze snapped to his and I froze. I had never seen such kindness in one man's eyes before. He looked troubled, conflicted really. His hands felt like hot iron on me, searing themselves into my arms.

"Aaron, stop flirting and get over here," the man shouted, turning his head slightly. This other man, Aaron, I guess, came jogging over. The men looked so similar, yet, they were not. The way they carried themselves labeled them undeniably as aristocrats, but their faces were soft and caring.

"I'm not flirting, old man. Where's the fire?" Aaron came to an abrupt halt, placing a hand on the man's shoulder. "Daniel, what's going on? Do I need to get the constable?"

"Get Uncle Edgar and bring him back to the house, she needs help. Hurry, and do not stop to talk to a 'pretty woman'." The man ordered, releasing me for only a moment. He wrapped an arm around my waist and placed the other on Matthew's back. If I had the strength, I would have shied away from him.

"I promise, I won't hurt you, Ma'am. You need help, that's all I am trying to do. You just have to trust me." He begged, looking into my eyes. I knew I didn't have a choice. Matthew needed this. My unborn child needed this. I nodded my head before pressing a kiss to my son's head.

The gentlemen did not live far from the market place, their house was much nicer than I had ever expected. Compared to Richard's jail, this place was a home. I could feel the love and laughter exploding as soon as we entered the threshold. It felt as if children had run amuck on several occasions, made noteworthy paintings and even sang silly children's songs. It felt like the kind of home that my son and my nieces deserved.

"Sarah, Annie, I am in need of your assistance!" The man yelled, escorting me to the couch. Two women, short in stature, came running out of a side room.

"Yes, my lord?" One of the women asked.

"Annie, I need you to draw two baths. Sarah, tell Fanny to prepare a meal for these people, and I need you to grab the clothes that Katrina left here. I believe they will fit both our guests. Aaron will be back shortly with Sir Edgar. Please bring them to the guest room." The man ordered, seating himself on the table before me.

"I need to ask you some questions, madam, is that alright?" He placed his hand over mine. I nodded my head once, gripping Matthew with all of my strength.

"My name is Daniel; my cousin Aaron was with me in the market. What are your names?"

"Wilde," I whispered, looking into his eyes. I knew Richard was looking for me. I didn't know all of the men he knew, I didn't know if they were in the same circles of breeding.

"Thank you, Ms. Wilde. Are you in danger? I've noticed you are not naturally British. Were you sold here?" Daniel asked. I knew slavery was outlawed. I knew I was free here, but I could not go home. Not now, not ever. Not if I wanted Matthew to be free.

"I know I'm free here," I whispered, kissing Matthew's head once again. "We're not safe." I wanted to cry. We'd never really be safe.

"You're safe now, Ms. Wilde. Aaron and I will make sure the three of you will be safe. Is there anyone I can contact for you?" I shook my head furiously. I would find a different way to contact Isabella.

"Alright, Ms. Wilde. May Annie take your son to bathe him? He will be returned to you, and then you may both have a proper meal." Daniel motioned for Annie to come closer, his eyes trained on mine. I released my son to the girl. She was as white as snow with the darkest hair I'd ever seen on a white girl. She stroked my son's curls as if she had never seen a boy dark yet so light skinned. I thanked God every day that he was never born in Louisiana, that he never knew those bastards that owned us.

"Miss," The other girl, Sarah, I believe, called. "Your bath is ready as well. We'll mend your clothes, too." I nodded my head as I rose to my feet. I had forgotten what it felt like to be clean. Sarah took hold of my arm and led me to a room on the far end of the apartment. She looked barely sixteen years old, but had the determination of twenty men. Her hair was the color of wheat when it was milled into a flax. It was curled into a neat bun, with only a few stray wisps around the base of her neck.

"Miss, I don't mean to intrude, but you're not from here, right?" Sarah queried. "I've never really left London. The Lords do not take us home with them for Christmas or their holidays. Not that I complain much. We have total freedom during those times." I pulled the string from my hair as Sarah undid the back of my dress.

"I was born in New Orleans." I whispered, closing my eyes. I heard the gasp Sarah tried to hold back. There was no denying my life now, not with what she saw.

"Oh, my word, I need to get my Lord!" Sarah exclaimed.

"No," I hissed, shedding the rest of my clothes. I entered the tub without the girl's assistance. "These are of no concern any more. I do not live with the monster who did this." I knew the girl was hesitant, but there was no use having a cow over the lashings. They were long done with.

"W-who did this to you, Miss? They should be hanged." She hissed, pressing a wet cloth to my skin.

"Unfortunately, this... torture is legal where I was born. You'd have to hang most of the South for worse things than this. Just thank god that my children are born here." I stressed, cupping my stomach. Even if I cared to go back, I would never bring the children. I could not subject them to such hell.

"What is your son's name? He's very beautiful." Sarah poured hot water down my back before lathering it with soap.

"Matthew. He's four years old. He's my everything. Do you have children, Sarah?"

"No, My Lords took Annie and me in a year ago. If he hadn't, we'd still be stuck in the orphanage. Teaching children who want nothing to do with us. Annie is sixteen, I just turned eighteen a few months ago. Fanny came with the Lords, attached to their families I guess. She's twenty years old. She doesn't share much, tends to keep to herself. She even fancies herself to be family to my Lords."

Sarah seemed like a good girl. A little chatty, but good none the less. She carefully ran her hands over my belly with soap, garnering slight movement from my baby. She took great care cleaning my hair and helping me dry myself. I wanted to trust her so badly.

"Sarah, can I trust you?" I asked as she pulled a dress out of the corner of the room.

"Of course, Miss, with my life." She vowed.

"I need paper and a writing utensil, and then I need you to meet a man near the work house, the one across from the orphanage." I instructed.

"My lords have a study, Ican get you some paper there." She promised, slipping the chemise over my head.She then handed me a man's robe and I wrapped it around myself. "Doctor Goddardwill be here soon. I'll take you to the guest room, and bring you a plate offood." I nodded my head as she took my hand in both of hers. I felt safe with her.

*

*

*

*

*

Hello Lovelies,

Recently Radish has updated how they publish stories on their site, and for a lot of us, that meant that it revamped how many of them were published. So, both the Real Life series The Debt series are being re-released on Radish 1 week at a time until the last chapter has been published. So what does this mean? It means that the entirety of the Debt series will not be unlocked (meaning you have to pay for it) until March of 2021. It think the Real Life series will be fully unlocked in April of 2021. But the wait is finally over, so please, enjoy this installment of the Debt series: The Runaway.

Lots of Love,

DoctorWho

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

230K 11.5K 25
| Completed | "I've never been more certain of anything in my life, Kitten. You...were made for me." Elijah Wright, the Duke of Kent, grew up learnin...
202K 8K 39
"Well then, there must be a reason why you aren't able to keep your eyes off me in the market today, Miss Wellesley." He whispered in my ear, sending...
57.4K 2.1K 98
Meet Sarah, 20 years, a sweet and tender-hearted young girl, who, despite facing the harshness of life, always puts others' needs before her own. Her...
21.1K 2.1K 49
When Rosemarie Blackwood wanders into the de Winter house one rainy day, she's given a choice; to be the beautiful heiress Blanche and have bachelors...