Peter Hunter and the Minions...

Janiestclair द्वारा

Peter had enough on his plate with the normal stresses of teenage life. How could he possibly add "battling... अधिक

About the Book and Author
Prologue and Chapter 1
Chapter 3 - Right Thought
Chapter 4 - Right Speech
Chapter 5 - Rob's Secret
Chapter 6 - Troubling Thoughts
Chapter 7 - Devils and Devas
Chapter 8 - House Call
Chapter 9 - Right Action
Chapter 10 - Rob Takes Peter to a Brothel
Chapter 11 - Right Livelihood
Chapter 12 - The Nasir Family
Chapter 13 - Right Effort
Chapter 14 - Right Mindfulness
Chapter 15 - Right Samadhi
Chapter 16 - Rob's Torment
Chapter 17 - Rakshasas
Chapter 18 - The Winds of Change
Chapter 19 - Field Day
Chapter 20 - Summer Dreaming
Chapter 21 - Mr. Monster Matthews
Chapter 22 - Sensei's Confession
Chapter 23 - Boy Meets Deva
Chapter 24 - In the Moment
Chapter 25 - The Mullah's Cafe
Chapter 26 - The Eternal Rule
Chapter 27 - Everything's Fine
Chapter 28 - Compassion for All
Chapter 29 - Message From the Boss
Chapter 30 - Adventures of Candy Boy
Chapter 31 - The Lust Curse
Chapter 32 - Anatta
Chapter 33: Halloween Night
Chapter 34: Conquering Anger
Chapter 35: Peter Meets a God
Chapter 36: Mara's Messages
Chapter 37: Going Solo
Chapter 38: Peter's Greatest Weakness
Chapter 39: The Sun, the Moon, and the Truth
Chapter 40: Nothing is Lost
Chapter 41: The Deal With Demons
Chapter 42: The Loser Festival
Chapter 43: Nobly Born Jody Hunter
Chapter 44: Fish Eyes
Chapter 45: Subject to Change
Chapter 46: The Welcoming Committee
Chapter 47: Peter Sees the Light
The Metta Sutta
Preview of Book 2

Chapter 2 - Right View

17 1 0
Janiestclair द्वारा

A few days later, when Peter entered the dojo for his next private lesson, he stopped in his tracks. The place had been destroyed.

It was an absolute mess. The decorations, paddles, blocks, and freestanding punch bags were strewn about. There was a strong smell of incense and Peter could hear Sensei Rob in his office chanting, "OM MANI PADME HUM."

This wasn't the first time it had happened, but he still had no idea why or how it occurred.

As Peter started cleaning up, he thought of all the possible causes of the mess: a freak wind storm inside the studio; a group of mafia members came to demand extortion money; Sensei had some hidden personality, like the superhero, the Big Green Lug, that exploded in a rage.

None of those seemed likely.

"Hey, Pete. Didn't hear you come in," Sensei Rob said as he emerged from the office with a large bandage on his forehead.

"What happened here?" Peter asked.

Sensei shook his head and said, "You wouldn't believe me if I told you. Anyway, thanks for helping."

All that was left to clean was the Eastern paraphernalia Sensei kept on the shelves behind the front desk.

Peter handed Sensei a dull dagger and asked, "What are all these for, anyway?"

Sensei gave him a serious look. "They're not for fighting humans."

Peter snickered. Sensei Rob was the kind of person who picked up spiders in his hand to set them outside. Hurting people was the last thing Peter would expect from Sensei Rob.

"They're all for warding off evil," Sensei explained, as if that were a normal thing people usually talked about.

But Peter's skin prickled as if he felt a draft.

"Let's get started," Sensei Rob said cheerfully. He clapped Peter on the shoulder and pushed him toward the mats. "Today, I want to talk about the way of the martial artist. It's not only about physical training. It's also about the mind," he tapped his temple, "and the heart." He tapped his chest.

Peter thought that Sensei sounded a lot like a cartoon about magical ponies, but he obeyed and sat cross-legged on the dojo mats.

"So I'm going to teach you about Buddhism," Sensei Rob announced.

"Is this going to be boring?" he complained.

Sensei Rob chuckled. "Hopefully, it'll be enlightening."

Sensei Rob waited, as if he was expecting some response from Peter, but Peter just looked at him.

"Just to be clear, I have no plans to be a monk," Peter said.

"We're just learning about it," Sensei Rob assured him. "But there are many applications of Buddhism. And while Buddhist monks don't do a lot of things even other religions allow, the path of Buddhism offers true happiness in return. Buddhist monks are some of the happiest people on earth."

"Really?" Peter asked with a sideways look.

It seemed unbelievable that someone could be happy without the simple joys in life, like TV and junk food.

"Most people look to something outside themselves in order to be happy," Rob said. "How many times have you heard someone say that they'll be happy when they get enough money or when they get a girlfriend or boyfriend? How many of those people are actually happy when they get what they want?"

Peter considered that while he started drumming an absent-minded rhythm on the mats.

"See, the world of our senses, of physical things, is impermanent," Sensei continued. "It's constantly changing, so it can't bring us lasting joy. True, lasting satisfaction has to come from somewhere else."

"Okay, I'll buy that," Peter agreed, bobbing his head to the rhythm of his drumming.

Sensei reached out and placed a hand on Peter's to stop his movement.

"Now, the way of Buddhism," he lectured, "is called the eightfold path. Today, we're just going to discuss the first of the eight steps, which is called Right View, sometimes called Right Understanding. It means getting the right view of the world, an outlook, a belief system."

"Like religion or something?" Peter asked warily.

"It could be," Sensei Rob said. "It's more how you believe the world works. What's the purpose of life? But first, there are many belief systems: Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. Why do you think it matters that you find the right one?"

"I don't think it does," Peter responded plainly.

"Why not?"

"Let's say your favorite color is green and mine is blue. It's not like one of us is right. I don't have to go to war to force you to choose blue."

"That's a great view." Sensei thought a moment. "But let's say that because I like the color green, and I have more money, that clothing stores start selling only green shirts. Suddenly, there are no shirts in your favorite color."

"So what? I'd just wear green. And what idiot shirt maker would only make clothes in one color?"

"It's just an analogy."

"But it's a weak analogy."

"It was your analogy!" Rob reminded him.

Peter thought a second. "Well, it wasn't weak when I said it."

Sensei shook his head. "Alright, let's try another one. Let's say you believe cows are sacred animals."

"But I don't."

"But the rest of America slaughters cows for food."

"Wait, do you think cows are sacred?"

"Beliefs determine actions! Okay?" Sensei Rob said quickly. Then he took a calming breath. "What you believe drives the choices you make. If a person thinks money is the most important thing, he'll make choices to make money even if it hurts someone. And if a person believes people are the most important thing, he'll make choices to help people even if he loses money. Beliefs shape our actions and our actions shape the world. Get it?"

Peter shifted, leaning back on his hands. "Okay. But you could've just said that to begin with."

Rob's lips tightened and he took another breath. "So what do you believe in?"

Peter squinted in thought. "I think people should be nice to each other," he said. "Like no stealing or killing."

Sensei nodded. "That's a start. I want you to think about it more. A lot of people assume they can worry about what they believe later, when they grow up, but there's this thing called karma."

Peter sat up. "Oh. I've heard of that. When you do good things, good stuff happens to you, right?"

Sensei nodded. "Yes. And when you make harmful choices, it comes back to you. It makes sense, right? People will most often treat you according to how you treat them."

Peter started bouncing his feet, wishing they could just get to punching and kicking already.

"So you see?" Rob asked. "Even if you're not worrying about what you believe and you're just having fun, there are still going to be consequences to all of your actions."

"So what am I supposed to believe in then?" Peter asked with a sigh.

"Whatever you think is right."

His bouncing paused. "You're not going to tell me?"

Sensei Rob shook his head. "Part of having a right view is to base your beliefs on personal experiences, not on something you were taught by parents, teachers, society—"

"Or your sensei?" Peter asked with his smart-aleck smirk.

To his surprise, Sensei agreed. "Exactly."

Peter wasn't expecting that. Adults usually wanted him to subscribe to their beliefs and rules "or else."

"It's up to you to figure out what you believe," Sensei said. "But it's also up to you to keep your mind open. Really open. We should always be flexible, constantly observing the world as it is, not as you think it is or as you want it to be. I like to think about being like a river."

"You already used the river analogy a few weeks ago," Peter joked.

"Well, I'm using it again. When a river meets an obstacle, like a rock, it doesn't blast through and annihilate the object. It finds a course that incorporates the rock. Our pursuit of the truth should be the same. Instead of fighting challenges to your beliefs, let the truth be what it is, as the river lets the rock be what it is. Alter your course if necessary."

"You really like water, huh?" Peter noted.

"Point is: your job is to challenge everything, including yourself. And that can be hard. Most people automatically accept beliefs from trusted authority."

"Uhhh... I'm a teenager," Peter countered, stretching his neck until it popped. "We don't like authority."

He stretched his neck to the other side.

"Maybe not parents and teachers, but you accept some authority," Rob said. "There's music you're supposed to listen to, shows you're supposed to watch, and even beliefs you're supposed to follow."

Peter started popping his knuckles, one at a time.

"Your job is to challenge everything," Sensei Rob said. "Challenge yourself to see things as they really are and form your own opinions based on truth."

"I'm liking this religion," Peter commented.

"Now, the Buddha developed his right view that all Buddhists follow. Think you can handle listening a little while longer?"

"I can listen," Peter attested. "I'm a great listener."

Rob looked at Peter's hands. Peter looked down and realized his teacher must not like the popping. He stopped. Then Sensei went on with the lesson.

"Buddhism is based on the Four Noble Truths." He held up his fingers as he listed them. "One: suffering is a part of life. Two: the source of suffering is wanting or craving. Three: the cure for suffering is to control your cravings. And four: the way to control your cravings is through meditation and self-discipline."

"That's it?" Peter asked, surprised. "Like, no god or gods?"

Rob shook his head. "Buddhism is more about the inner workings of the human mind. The Buddha himself grew up Hindu, so sometimes he talked about spirits and gods. And sometimes Buddhism merges with other religions, but some Buddhists are even atheists."

Peter smirked. "I guess it's flexible, huh? Like the river?"

Sensei Rob smiled. "This week, I want you to challenge all your beliefs," he said. "Observe the beliefs of the people around you, too."

"That sounds fun," Peter said. "I'm really good at challenging things."

"Yes. You. Are," Sensei agreed.

Somehow, Peter wasn't sure that was a compliment.

***

"I think it's great that you're learning about Buddhism," his mom said on the way home in the car. "Your dad and I have studied some faiths, and while we never found one that we wanted to join, they all seemed to follow a natural law. You know, don't steal, and don't kill. Be kind and patient."

"I think it all comes down to the golden rule," his dad added from the driver's seat.

"I also think people should do what's right regardless of what others think," his mom said. "Even if a teacher or a political leader tells you otherwise. Follow that gut feeling, that conscience."

"But respect your parents, of course," Peter's dad said with a wink through the rearview mirror.

"Yes, always respect your parents," Mrs. Hunter agreed. "And always eat your vegetables."

"And clean your room," his dad jested.

Peter's mom counted on her fingers, "Wake up on time. Do your homework. Do the dishes and laundry. Take care of your parents in their old age."

Mr. and Mrs. Hunter laughed as they continued. When the rules started getting outrageous, Peter tuned them out, rolling his eyes.

Parents can be so weird, he thought.

***

The next day at school, Peter found himself studying his classmates and wondering what they believed. He wasn't usually a fan of homework, but this task was more applicable to real life. Plus, no one would be grading him. At the end of the day, Peter decided if he was right or wrong. And so far, he had an A.

He saw Jeremy across the blacktop pestering someone. He obviously believed that if he wanted something, he could do anything to get it. He noticed Alicia was sitting under a nearby tree with her friends, Stacey and Gina. Peter overheard snippets of their conversation.

"It's been over fifty years since China took over Tibet by force," Alicia was lecturing passionately. "And people still haven't done anything to stop them."

Peter smiled to himself, remembering the many times that Alicia had tried to spread awareness of some world crisis. She was the opposite of Jeremy. Her worldview caused her to care about people she didn't even know.

His friends Chris and Harrison were talking as they passed a basketball back and forth.

"So then Gina said she likes smart guys," Harrison said.

"Dude, you like Gina?" Chris jeered. "As in Gina Salvatore? How can you like her when Alicia is always next to her?"

Gina was an awkward girl with out-of-control-curly hair. She also had an unashamed personality with a mouth full of braces, but no filter.

"I can like more than one girl at a time," Harrison explained. "So anyway, now I have to pretend to pay attention in class."

He attempted a complicated dribbling technique that failed easily.

Another boy, Ethan, stole the ball and switched the topic, "Did you guys see that video I sent you of the dude trying to make a basket while riding his skateboard? He slammed right into the garage door. It was hilarious. Peter, you saw it, right?" he asked as he passed to Peter.

THUD!

The ball hit Peter's shoulder.

"Earth to Peter," Ethan joked. "What are you thinking about, dude?"

Peter picked up the ball and bounced it in front of him. "Have you guys ever noticed that what you believe determines your actions?"

They all looked at him for a beat.

"Are you on drugs?" Chris asked with mock seriousness.

"Just trying to figure out what I believe in." Peter stopped the ball in his hands. "What's our purpose? What gives us real happiness?"

"I believe funny videos give us happiness," Ethan joked.

Peter laughed and passed the ball hard at Ethan.

"Nope. It's girls," Harrison corrected, looking at Alicia, Gina, and Stacey. "They are God's gift to the world."

"I'm serious," Peter persisted. "What do you really believe in? What do you think is right, what do you think is wrong?"

"Everyone's going to have a different answer," Chris said, grabbing the ball from Ethan, shooting and missing the basket. "Truth is different for everyone. What's right for me may not be right for you."

"But that can't be completely true," Peter challenged him. "I mean, something has to be right for everyone."

"No, man, it doesn't work like that." Chris shook his head. "Nothing is true for everyone. Truth is relative."

"But that doesn't make sense," Peter argued. "You're saying that sentence like it's true for everyone. But it can't be true for everyone if nothing is true for everyone."

Ethan laughed. "Dude, seriously, what drug are you on?"

"Take Jeremy." Peter pointed across the blacktop where Jeremy was still pestering someone. "He thinks it's okay to bully everyone. But no one wants to hang out with him because of it, right?"

"So?" Harrison asked.

"So I'm saying that things are going to have consequences, no matter who you are or what you believe."

Chris shook his head. "You are so full of—"

"Wow, that's a really deep conversation," Alicia commented as she, Gina, and Stacey walked by with the forgotten basketball. "I love talking about ethics like that." She tossed the ball to Peter.

Each of the boys watched in silence as the girls walked off.

"Ethics are so cool," Ethan said in a trance.

"I'm all about ethics," Chris claimed loudly. "I love talking about right and wrong stuff."

Peter laughed to himself as the boys continued their conversation with a new set of opinions.

Thanks for reading!

If you like the books, make sure to tell your friends.

If you want to find out more about the series, check out freelanceexorcistsbooks.blogspot.com or find me on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

50.5K 4.3K 39
Cursed with immortality, Mars goes on a journey with his lifelong more-than-friends partner Astral, a painfully average future-seeing mage, to find t...
1.3K 325 23
At Redwood School in Boston, Julie gets a scholarship to study English lit, dreaming of becoming a writer. But things get wild when she bumps into Ma...
732 45 23
"Do you really think you're more powerful than me?" "I am Peter Pan! You are not powerful." "Oh, believe me, you don't know what I'm capable of!" One...