The Vanishing of Brandyn Tayl...

By DorlaTognaz

Brandyn Taylor had entered Kiera's life when she was seven years old, and they had been best friends ever sin... More

Brandyn
Kiera
Where are you Brandyn?
Decisions to be made
What now?
Snookered
Mind in overide.
What's going on?
A bad idea?
Fear.
Dead end. Again.
Scared for my life
Deep breath.
Release
Coincidence
Run rabbit run.
When?
Take down.
Goose chase
Three's a crowd
It's Him.
Shocked.
Following
Entrapment.
Jeopardy
Reality collision

Poster boy.

106 8 0
By DorlaTognaz

I was up bright and early the next day, this was starting to be a habit with me, I usually hated early mornings. I was eager to get out and start putting these posters up. Once I got an idea in my head I had to get it done, procrastinating wasn't my thing. Actually I was itching to get out there, but there wasn't much point in leaving too early, libraries, shops, and bars wouldn't be open so I'd just spend loads of time waiting around outside in the cold. Even if all the snow had now all thawed out, it was still cold. I had already checked my emails to see if I had any notifications from any missing persons websites, I hadn't. I decided I would log on a few groups and ask for advice on how to trace a missing person, there was bound to be people, or websites, with more ideas that I could try.
My mind kept thinking about the man I had seen, and the more I thought about it, the more certain I was he had been the man I'd seen in Cardiff. I could only hope it was a coincidence and nothing more than that.
I was getting fidgety waiting to get out, and by eight thirty I had left the flat, leaving a note to let Rach' know what I was doing. I headed to a shop to buy cable ties before doing anything else, and was armed with scissors, blue tack, and several reels of various types of tape, in my bag, as well as string. (Well I wasn't sure what was going to work best on what surfaces and I didn't want to be caught out.)
Once I had cable ties I started by putting posters on various lamp posts, picking ones in the busiest parts of town in the hopes of getting the most amount of people possible to see them. The bars wouldn't be open for some time, but shops and the library would be now. I headed for the library, they knew both myself and the boy well in there. I knew all the librarians names. I loved it in the library, and spent a lot of time there.

"Morning Kiera," Sharyn said as I walked up to the help desk. "How are you, I heard about your accident."

"Hi Sharyn, I'm fine now thanks. Just a concussion and bruising. Rachel came off worse than me."

"Oh no, is she ok?"

"She had a collapsed lung and cracked rib. So she's taking longer to get over it than me. She's not too bad now though. She was even up to some shopping yesterday."

"Oh the poor thing, I can't imagine the pain she must have been in. Did you buy anything nice?"

"Tops, jeans and handbags each."

"That sounds about right, always handbags. I must have twenty and still always want more. What can I help you with today?"

"I was hoping you wouldn't mind putting a poster up on your notice board for me.
Brandyn's gone missing, and I've tried everything I can think of to find him."

"Oh no, how long has it been since you erm, saw him last?" Sharyn seemed concerned.

"It's been a few weeks now since I actually saw him. I'm sure I had a text though, but he could have been missing three weeks by now."

"Have you tried his family?" She asked me.

"I can't remember his mum's married name, and I've tried social media but all his accounts have been deleted."

"Hmmm, that's not so good then. Can you remember her previous name? I may be able to look up on our system that, and although I shouldn't, if she changed her surname with us I could just let it slip out to you what it was."

"Oh you're the best Sharyn. I never actually thought to look up her previous surname. It was Valance."

"Ok let me see what we have, you go and put that poster up while I take a look."

"Thanks Sharyn."

I walked over to the noticeboard and pinned a poster up, after I moved a few smaller posters about to make room. I couldn't believe how much help Sharyn was being, I knew she could get into trouble if anyone found out.
She smiled as I walked back to the desk. By now William, another librarian, was behind the desk, loading some returned books onto a cart.

"I looked that book up for you Kiera, it's by an author called Harvey, J. Harvey."

"Thanks so much Sharyn," I replied, knowing she was saying it was a book because of William being within ear shot. "I look forward to reading that. I best get on for now, thanks again though."

"No problem at all. Take care and say hi to Rachel from me."

"Will do. Bye."

I was so excited that we now had a surname, I couldn't believe that after all we had been through it had been as easy as calling in to the library. I wanted to let Rachel know right away, but I didn't want to wake her so decided to wait until I heard from her first. I went round various cafes next, asking if they'd put a poster up. I even asked the bakery, as Brandyn went there twice a week for a cream horn. They said go ahead and stick it on the door. I soon found myself at Phil's yet again.

"Morning Phil, sick of seeing me yet?" I asked as I entered the shop.

"I could never be sick of seeing you sweetie. The usual?"

"Yes please. I could do with a break."

"What have you been up to then?" He asked as he worked the coffee machine making my latte.

"Putting missing posters up around town. Figured get an early start. Not that I know what I'll do once I finished this."

"That's a good idea, the posters. Put one in our window if you like. No news on him then I take it?"

"No, and I'm fast running out of ideas."

I stuck a poster in the window.

"Thanks for letting me put a poster up here." I said as I returned to the counter to wait for my drink.

"No worries, I hope you find something out soon, end all this worrying for you."

"Me too, thanks though. I've trawled the internet for websites to place missing adverts for him there. I'm going to research ways to find missing people later, hopefully that will give me a better idea of what to do."

"There's bound to be masses of info online I would imagine. How's Rachel today?" Phil asked me.

"She was still asleep when I left this morning, and I didn't want to wake her. I think coming out yesterday wore her out more than she's letting on."

"She's bound to feel tired after what she's been through. Tired as she is I bet getting out of the flat did her some good."

"It did seem to cheer her up a lot. I think she was going stir crazy having been inside for so long."

"Who wouldn't though? I know I would. I take it there still isn't any news from the police?"

"Nothing no." I glumly replied.

"Have you thought about calling round the hospitals? Much as I would hate to think anything bad has happened, it might be worth considering."

"You know, I had thought of it when he first went missing." I said. "But not since then. It can't hurt to call them every now and then. I mean, I won't call every week, and I'll have to stop calling after a certain length of time, but for now it won't hurt to."

"I'm sure they won't mind you calling sometimes. I really can't think what else to suggest now though."

"I'll figure something out I'm sure."

"I hope so." Phil gave me a small smile of encouragement.

I took my coffee over to a table, as a few customers had just walked in and needed serving. I checked my phone and found a text from Rachel, so I gave her a call.

"Hey Boo, hows it all going?" She asked as soon as she picked up the call.

"Well I've got a small bit of good news to tell you."

"Oooh really? Go on then.."

"Sharyn, in the library, had the idea of looking for the boys mums previous surname. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before. Anyway she did me a massive favour and looked it up, and from that was able to give me the name she had changed it to after she remarried."

"What, so you actually have her new surname now?"

"Yup!" I was still excited about this.

"That's great news. We can do a search when you get back if you like. Unless you want me to do that while you're out?"

"What I want you to do is rest and get better."

"Well it's hardly using much energy sitting at a computer is it?"

"I suppose not, it's up to you then. You don't have to at all. I'm just having a coffee before hitting a few bars and the snooker club."

"I bet you're at Phil's again." Rachel teased.

"You know me so well. Oh Sharyn said to say hi by the way."

"I can't believe she was willing to help you like that."

"I know, wasn't it good of her? She could get into a lot of trouble if she's found out."

"She trusts you not to say anything though"

"She must do or she wouldn't have helped like that."

"Any idea roughly how long you'll be?"

"I shouldn't think I'd be any longer than an hour and a half. Two at tops." I only had a few places left to put posters up, which shouldn't take me too long.

"Ok, want me to put something on for lunch?"

"Nope. I was thinking shall I pick up a few of the pizza breads from the bakery on my way home?"

"Mmm I love those. I'll never say no to that."

"Ok I'll do that then. Anything else you want?"

"Can't think of anything. The parents are keeping us well stocked still."

"They are. Saved us cooking for ages now. Ok I'll see you later then. Just rest ok."

"I'll try. Bye chick."

I took my cup back to Phil behind the counter.

"Are you off then Kiera?"

"Yeah, few more places to go then back home for me."

"At least you're not trudging around in the snow and ice this time. I wasn't happy with you walking about when it was bad." He commented.

"I know, I'm glad it's gone, pretty as it makes everything look it's a pain in the arse."

"It is that as well. Look after yourself then."

"You too. See ya."

I headed to the nearest bar, I had enough posters left to put one in each of the bars I knew in the town, and not just the ones I knew the boy went into. They first bar happily agreed to put a poster up for me and I thanked them. I left that bar, and started walking toward the next. As I looked to cross the road I saw someone looking at me, I whipped my head back to look again, and felt panic start to build up inside me, it was the man from the other day, the same man from Cardiff. There was no mistaking it this time, it was most definitely him. And he was looking right at me, but quickly turned his head away when I looked back at him. I'm not a confident enough person to approach someone I don't know and say "hey are you following me" (well what would I say if he actually said yes he was?)
All I could think to do was pretend I hadn't noticed him, and make my way to the next bar. I figured if I stayed in areas where there were a lot of people I should be ok. I kept thinking of reasons why someone would follow me, was he a stalker? Or maybe he wanted to kidnap me? I tried to calm my thoughts, the next bar wasn't far away now. It was so hard to not keep looking back over my shoulder, to see if the man was still following me, I had to act normal so he wouldn't know I now knew he was following me. All I wanted to do was walk faster and faster. It was unnerving to think he was following behind me, which I was sure he would be. I almost threw myself through the doors of the next bar, and a few people looked up at me as I rushed in the door. I walked straight over to the bar, ordered a half pint of shandy, and asked about putting a poster up. The bar maid said it was no problem, she'd put it up for me right away. I paid for my drink and slipped into a quiet corner of the bar, making sure I could watch the door from where I sat. I wanted to see if the man followed me into the bar or not. I took my time sipping at my shandy, stalling leaving the bar while I gathered my thoughts. If I rang Rachel and told her I knew she'd worry, and I didn't want to worry her anymore than she already was about me. I stared at the door as it opened, absolutely certain that the man following me was going to walk in.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

355 26 10
"How does the fate of a town lie in the hand a girl who is not so mentally okay and has a lot of life issues?" In the midst of her family troubles, 1...
29K 1.1K 47
~"You don't- you don't need me." I stared in shock. This was the first shred of emotion he'd shown since he started avoiding me, and I had no idea ho...
5K 318 41
COMPLETED. For Theodora, life wasn't going so well. Despite splitting up with her boyfriend nearly two years ago, she was still finding it hard to r...
574 30 28
I have restarted this book. I wanted to make it easier to read and more enjoyable. I hope to make shorter chapters and update frequently. :) In the b...