It's Really You (Newt Scamand...

By MaximoffScamander

There was only one man in the whole world that truly understood you, and he broke your heart. Little did you... More

Chapter 1: Hogwarts Express
Chapter 2: Shorting Ceremony
Chapter 4: Herbology and Transfiguration
Chapter 5: Astrology and History of Magic
Chapter 6: Deffence Against The Dark Arts and Herbology
Chapter 7: Charms and Potions Vol. 2
Chapter 8: Friendship
Chapter 9: Care of Magical Creatures
Chapter 10: Care of Magical Creatures Vol. 2
Chapter 11: Care of Magical Creatures Vol. 3
Chapter 12: Fear and Loneliness
Chapter 13: Accident
Chapter 14: Trying To Move On
Chapter 15: New York
Chapter 16: MACUSA
Chapter 17: Mr. Kowalski
Chapter 18: Dinner
Chapter 19: Inside Newt's Case
Chapter 20: Inside Your Case
Chapter 21: The Niffler
Chapter 22: The Erumpent
Chapter 23: The Pentagram Office
Chapter 24: Interrogation
Chapter 25: Death Potion
Chapter 26: The Blind Pig
Chapter 27: The Demiguise and The Occamy
Chapter 28: Awkwardness, Talks and Songs
Chapter 29: Credence
Chapter 30: Grindelwald
Chapter 31: Goodbye, Jacob
Chapter 32: Rest

Chapter 3: Charms and Potions

5.1K 137 72
By MaximoffScamander

Your P.O.V.

You were making your way down the halls of Hogwarts toward the Great Hall. Today, you will have your first lessons. You were very excited. When you reached The Great Hall you sat down at the end of the Ravenclaw table, away from everyone. As soon as you sat down, food imidiatly apeared in front of you. Toasts, eggs, bacon and pumpkin juice to be exact.

Silently you sat there eating and mentally preparing yourself for your first lesson at Hogwarts. Charms. You are going to learn how to do magic! You are going to use your wand for the first time in your life! And you and Newt have all of the lessons together.

You were so worried that after the Shorting Ceremony you and Newt won't be friends anymore. But for your surprise you became even closer. That was the closest friendship in your life. Pretty much the only one. Newt was a true friend. In those few days you were given to adjust to the environment, you and Newt spent so many time at the library, reading books about magical creatures.

You felt someone tap on your shoulder shaking you out of your thoughts. When you turned around you saw Newt standing behind you. A small smile apeared on your face.

"Hello, Newt."

"Hello, Y/n. Are you ready for our very first lesson?"

"Yes, absolutely! Are you?"

"Yes!"

You stood up from your seat and grabbed your stuff. Newt waited patiently for you and then both of you exited the Great Hall.

"Do you know were the classroom is?" You asked.

"It's Classroom 2E. I'm pretty sure it is not that far away." Newt said looking at you and then quickly turning away.

Newt was right. When you walked into the classroom, some students were already there. You and Newt sat down in the corner of the classroom and prepared everything you will need for the lesson. There already was a feather prepared for every student. You took out your wand and placed it on the table in front of you. It was a simple wand. Yet unique. You liked to know that there can't be to similar wands. With the corner of your eye you saw Newt's wand. It was very, very beautiful.

"Good morning, Class! My name is Professor Flitwick! I am here to teach you how to perform many charms and their variations. Today, we will start with a quick overview of all types of Levitation charms and the history of which they started. Then we will try a hand on Levitation of a feather. There are a number of lesser variations of the Levitation Charm.

1. Hover Charm
2. The Rocket Charm
3. Floating Charm

However, the Levitation Charm remains the best and most used. Now turn to page 3 in your Book of Spells. We will read aloud to page 6. Who volunteers to go first?"

A Griffindor girl in the front row raised her hand."May I?"

"Please." Professor gestured for her to start.

"The Levitation Charm is one of the first Spells learnt by any young witch or wizard. With the charm a witch or wizard can make things fly with the flick of a wand. The charm is an excellent test of your magical skills, wand control and above all, patience." -An excerpt in the Book of Spells.

Students one by one stared reading.

History of the Levitation Charm

On 16 July, 1544, Hobart invited a large crowd of wizards, among which was the Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, to witness his "maiden flight" -a public demonstration of his own revolutionary charm on himself. He climbed onto the roof of his local church and, after several speeches and a rousing performance of the national anthem ha leapt and, having cast the spell, was left hovering in mid-air. At first, he seemed to have succeeded but, after having spent nearly three minutes watching him hanging in mid-air, the crowd grew impatient to see him move somewhere, and booed him.

In response to the catcalls, Hobart tried to move in mid-air, and stared performing vigorous swimming movements, which produced no effect. Mistakenly believing that his clothes were making him heavier and impeding his movements, Hobart stripped thus making him fall ten feet onto the ground below, as it were the clothes that were holding him up in the air - they had been charmed by the Levitation Charm, not Hobart himself. He fell completely naked on the ground, breaking sixteen bones, and received a fine for "outrageous silliness" from the Chief Warlock.

Hobart returned home, humiliated, where he realised that his spell could make objects levitate for varying lengths of time, depending on the skill of the spellcaster and on the weight of the object. He also concluded that small animals or even children could be levitated, but that they had no control whatsoever of their movements once airborne. He thus made a second announcement, and an even larger crowd gathered to see his second demonstration of the spell (hoping for another laugh at his expence). Hobart's demonstration was, at first, by far more successful than the first one: he showed the onlooker how he could easily levitate objects ranging from small rocks to fallen trees. Hobart decided that, for a finale, he would levitate the Chief Warlock's hat - what he managed to levitate, however, was the Chief's wig, exposing his bald head to the gathering crowd. The Chief was not amused, and was determinate to duel Hobart, but the Warlock levitated Chiefs robes over his head, and ran for it.

The Levitation Charm appears to be an improvement on both the Levioso and Locomotor Spells and/or the Hower Charm, being able to lift objects high in to the air but also allowing one to magically move them through it as well. It also conveniently defies gravity by lifting objects heavier than a normal person would otherwise be able to carry.

Despite its strength, however, the Levitation Charm has one fatal flaw: it does not work on human beings. Though a human can be levitated using this charm, it is actually their clothing that is being affected. The charm is apparently not strong enough to allow a human to do anything more that float a few feet off the air using this method, and therefore does not allow the true flight afforded to most other objects.

In conclusion, almost anything can be lifted with this spell, although the object levitated depends on the skill of the caster and the weight of the object.

"Now, let's prepare with a swish and flick motion demonstrated here. Let's practice it together. Remember to swish to the right and flick your wand upward to lift the object."

For a few moments professor watched as everyone was practicing at waving their wands.

"Then we will say the spell, "Wingardium Leviosa!" Yes, it is a little difficult to say at first. It's Wing-gar-dium Levi-o-sa, make the 'gar' nice and long. Lastly, remember to concentrate very hard. Clear your mind and focus and visualize the feather in front of you levitating in front of you. Good luck!"

All students stared saying the spell and waving their wands but nothing really happened.

You sighed and looked at the feather in front of you. Newt, on your left, was trying but did not successed.

"Wingardium Leviosa." You said and waved your wand with a swish and flick.

Suddenly you felt this weird connection with the feather that slowly started rising into the air. Shock and joy mixed in you. You were doing magic!

"Exelent! Exelent, miss?" Professor Flitwick cheered.

"Y/l/n." You quietly answered.

"How did you do that?" Newt asked you.

He still couldn't do the spell.

"It is not as hard as you think. Just, relax and say the spell."

Newt looked at the feather and sighed.

"You can do this Newt. I believe in you." You said.

He gave you a small smile and tried again.

"Wingardium Leviosa." Newt said and flicked his wand.

Slowly his feather stared floating in the air.

"Thank you, Y/n!" He said smiling.

"For what?"

"For believing in me."

You gave Newt a small smile.

"Well done! Mr.?" Professor asked.

"Scamander, sir."

"Well, done Mr. Scamander. Now, for homework, yes, there is homework! I expect a small essays on the other three variations of the Levitation Spell. You should find your information in the library. Have a nice day."

You and Newt walked out of the class together.

"Do you remember which class we have next?" Newt asked you.

"Potions, I think. It is in the Dungeons, right?"

"I think so."

You both headed to the stairs.

When you reached the classroom the door was open so you walked in. You found yourself a table and sat down. As soon as you prepared your notebook, quill and ink the Professor walked in.

"Welcome to your first year of Potions. I'm professor Slughorn. Now, Potions may seem as one of the easier subjects as there is not much wand waving or bangs or noises, however if you don't know the correct procedures, it may end up as the one of the most dangerous ones. There are several Potions and Drafts that have been classified as 'Dangerous' or 'Illegal' by the Ministry. Just a look through the list will make you understand why though. Anyway, let's start by defining what Potions are. Does someone want to read out loud for us?"

A Slitherin boy stared reading.

What are Potions?

Potions are liquid that are produced by a number of different ingredients and with some magic. Muggles cannot make most of the Potions even if they have the ingredients because most Potions need a wave of your wand to finish it off.

Your ingredients are what make your Potion possible. It's essential, therefore, that you have a thorough understanding of the different techniques for handling your ingredients. A good knowlage of the magical herbs covered in your Herbology would also be helpful.

It's obvious that all of the ingredients that we are about to use can be easily and readily obtained. This means that most ingredients are not extremely dangerous to store and can be found in any basic Potion kit. Depending on their state, most ingredients can be shorted in simple glass bottles or boxes. Many ingredients are somewhat perishable, so it's important to follow any instructions given by the apothecary regarding expiration dates, storage temperature, recommended containers, etc.

While many measurements are done by weight, sometimes measurements of length or even simple counts can be used. The instruments used for these processes will be prescribed by your instructor. As always, it's important that things are done in a standard way. The Wizarding World weights in ounces, pounds and stones. We measure in inches and feet. If you have a firm grasp of Wizarding measurements, you should be able to work through any potion recipe that we may come across.

The right tools are essential to the success of a Potion. When not specifically stated in this book, it's preferred that you use silver daggers for your cutting and/or crushing needs. Your scales can be made of any number of materials; most will not cause negative effects on the desired Potion. Gloves (dragon-hide) are sometimes necessary for handling particularly nasty ingredients. Your cauldron should be made of either pewter or silver. Unless otherwise called for, glass or crystal vials will be suitable for most basic storage purposes. Your wand is neseccery for most, if not all, potion brewing so be sure to keep it readily available. A mortar and pestle can be used as well quite often.

"Now, we're going to go into a list of safety rules. The most important things when brewing a Potion is to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you. I suggest you follow these rules in my potion class."

You opened your notebook and started writing down the safety rules for Potions.

1. Whatever you do, do NOT randomly taste any potion, especially if it doesn't have a          label. Potions are not drinks, and should not be treated as such.

2. Use protection. Girls with long hair, please tie it back at the beginning of each class. Make sure to wear closed-toed shoes when brewing, because trust me, you'd much rather some of these Potions to hit your clothing than your skin first. Use dragon-hide gloves when handling dangerous ingredients. You are permitted to bring in goggles if you feel you need them.

3. Use common sense. Don't stick your hand in the Potion. Don't lean over your Potion to smell it or look at it. Always make sure the flame is turned off when not in use. Etc.

4. No horse playing. Potions can be dangerous if you don't give it your full attention and take it seriously. Meaning, don't play mad potioneer in here.

5. Follow instructions exactly as the book has written it as I have told you to do.

6. If your Potion came out either looking weird or smelling weird, please do not drink it or store it. Use the Vanishing Spell (Evanesco) to get rid of it to avoid other people using it or spreading the smell.

7. Use proper materials and ingredients.

8. Do not wear any low hanging neck-tie, or necklace. Remove all bracelets and any other accessory that could get caught on something before starting.

9. No food or drinks are allowed in the classroom.

10. Do not taste any of the ingredients.

11. Keep your workstation clean.

12. In the case of broken glass, do NOT pick the glass up with your fingers. Use the Vanishing Spell (Evanesco) to get rid of it.

13. If there is a spill, quickly move away from the spill and warn others around you loudly. Call for the Professor to help.

14. In case of a fire, use either the Extinguishing Spell, or the Water Spell (Aguamenti) to put the fire out.

15. In the case that you are injured during a lesson, please inform the Professor and get someone to escort you to the Hospital Wing.

"Of course, I do realize you are first years and this is your first potion class. Therefore, if something described above happens and you need a spell to fix it, please call for me and I will come over to assist you. Now, for our first lesson, we are going to create the cure for boils." Professor explained.

"Being an effective remedie against pustules, hives, boils and many other scrufulous conditions. This is a robust potion of powerful characters. Care should be taken when brewing. Prepared incorrectly this Potion has been known to cause boils rather than cure them..." -Zugmunt Budge, Book of Potions.

"The cure for boils (also known as simply Boil Cure) is a potion which cures boils, even these produced by the Pimple Jinx. It is an elementary potion and the recipe can be found in Magical Drafts and Potions and Book of Potions. If the Potion is made successfully, there will be pink smoke rising from the cauldron."

"It all doesn't sound easy at all." Newt whispered to you.

You nodded. He was right.

"Now open your book to page 15 for the recipe. Note that the book tells you to take the cauldron off the fire before added the porcupine quills. If you fail to do this, the potion could melt your cauldron and turn out to give you nasty boils if it does touch your skin rather than cure them. Remember safety comes first and to follow instructions exactly. If you need any help, please call me over." Professor Slughorn said and everyone started working.

You opened your Book of Potions on page 15 and started making your potion step by step.

Cure for Boils:

Stir the starting potion clockwise and heat cauldron until the mixture turns from blue to red.

Add 6 snake fangs to the mortar and crush into a fine powder using the pestle. Add 4 measures of the crushed fangs to your cauldron and stir. Heat the mixture to 250 for 10 seconds and then lower heat to 200. Mix crushed snake fangs until the potion turns pink.

Slice your Pungous Onions finely and place in cauldron, then heat the mixture at 250 until turns light green.

Add 3 dried nettles. Mix the dried nettles until it turns darker green.

Add Flobberworm Mucus until the potion turns pink and stir vigourously.

Add a sprinkle of powdered ginger root and stir vigourously again.
•Heat at 300 until it turns orange and then lower heat to 200. Wait for the potion to settle before continuing.

Add 2 pickled Shrake spines. Stir gently, so as not to overexite the Shrake spines. Heat again at 250 until it turns blue.

Wave your wand over the cauldron clockwise and leave to brew for 33 minutes.

Add 4 stewed horned slugs. It should turn turquoise.

Take the cauldron off the fire before adding the next ingredient.

Add 2 porcupine quills to your cauldron. Mix Porcupine quills until the potion turns orange. Stir 5 times, clockwise until the potion returns to red.

At last, heat the potion and let it simmer until it lightens into a pinkish colour.

Finally, wave your wand diagonally downward over the cauldron to finish the potion.

With the last wave of your wand your potion was ready. Newt finished his potion as well.

"Now, for homework, I want a 500 word essay on the importance of using the safety rules in the potion classroom. Also-" Professor Slughorn got interrupted by whining students.

"Stop complaining, 500 words isn't a lot. This is the real homework."

You heard someone groan. It made you giggle. But really, it's only your first day and you already have 2 essays to write.

"Also, I would like a short essay on different types of vials. Both of these are due on Friday. Class dismissed."

Great, 3 essays to write.

After Potions, you and Newt imidiatly went to library wanting to finish your essays as soon as possible.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30K 663 34
Welcome dear reader, you have reached a terrible demise. JK, welcome to the party! At your new job you meet a group of guys that change your life for...
58.1K 3K 55
𝔹𝕆𝕆𝕂 𝟙 | When an unforeseen attack from Grindelwald leaves Newt fighting for life, his five companions struggle to cope with the fact that the...
5.8K 206 14
Newt Scamander becomes infatuated with a woman he knows little about but what happens when they finally cross paths...
14.1K 454 32
You know it was wrong to fall in love in the world like this. This moment you could smile at them, tasting their lips as both of you ready to see the...