Dare You To Move

By peterprkerr

Friends with benefits is supposed to be just that. Friends with the benefits of fooling around and not having... More

Cast
Prologue
Chapter 1 - SOS Text
Chapter 2 - Snowfall
Chapter 3 - Tongue Tied
Chapter 4 - Confused Hangovers
Chapter 5 - Polaroids
Chapter 6 - Lego House
Chapter 7 - Frozen Bearings
Chapter 8 - Just Friends
Chapter 9 - Selfish
Chapter 10 - 5 words
Chapter 11 - How's This For Honesty
Chapter 12 - Wanted
Chapter 14 - Oxygen
Chapter 15 - Lifeline
Chapter 16 - Heartbreak
Chapter 17 - Photograph
Epilogue

Chapter 13 - It's Jenny

673 14 2
By peterprkerr

When Parker and Elli got back to their apartment, Parker gently woke Elli up and in her groggy state, Parker helped her up the stairs and into his room. She barely took her shoes off before climbing onto his bed and making herself comfortable, falling asleep within minutes once more. It only brought a smile to Parker's face with a rush of warmth before he changed himself and got into bed with her. And two slept through the night, allowing Christmas Eve to come.

That morning, everything proceeded as it normally did and there were parts of Parker that tinged with anxiety. He remembers telling her he's in love with her and there was a twisted part of him that hoped that maybe she wasn't really asleep and she heard him. But, the day went.

They had gone to Collyn's parents' house for dinner and Elli didn't say a word about it. It was normal between the three of them. Parker was a little disappointed but also relieved because what if she didn't feel the same way? It would have really ruined everyone's Christmas Eve with a pitiful mood. So, Parker enjoyed his first Christmas Eve with his two best friends and pushed the thoughts of the night before from his mind.

Christmas came and by then, Parker intentionally pushed telling her his feelings out of his mind. She didn't hear him and she was really asleep and it's not the right time. He'll tell her but not on Christmas. So, the two have their own gift exchange and prove once again that they know each other better than anyone.

Elli got him a new guitar strap, one he's been talking about every so often for the past six months. It's covered in Marvel characters, custom designed pattern by Elli just so his would be different from any other one. His name is even etched on the inside of the strap in the Spider-Man font. Of course, Parker was thrilled and surprised she put that much into it but also found it funny.

His present to her was a new camera strap. Elli had been wanting a custom one just to swap out every now and then instead of having the name brand Canon strap. This one though, it's all pictures she's taken at the Pier. Parker had snuck into her room and scanned them all while she was at a job. He picked more than enough and ones he knew Elli loved, like the ones where the Pier is covered in snow with minimal footprints, ones of the lake being frozen, and some of the Ferris wheel covered in snow. Her name is etched on inside in a pretty and elegant cursive font.

They had their own form of a thank you afterward, which lead to the two of them needing to shower.

They'd gotten ready and made their way to Elli's parents' house for dinner, Elli reminding Parker that they think she's dating Collyn and Parker hated it. He hated having to pretend it's true and he hated that Elli was so nonchalant about it but he gets it and he went with it and he had fun anyway. No one bothered them about if they were dating and that didn't sting. For the first time, it didn't sting. Instead, he got to have good conversations with her mom, dad, and sister. It was all in all, a perfect Christmas.

And it only got better when they got back to the apartment, Collyn stopping by for the night right after. They had their own gift exchange, the three of them getting all new mugs, a tradition they've had over the past five years. Elli got a Wonder Woman mug, Parker got a Miles Morales mug, and Collyn got a Riddler mug. The three of them spent the rest of the night washing their mugs and drinking hot chocolate from them while watching Christmas movies.

The next two weeks went by like normal. New Year's Eve was even pretty uneventful. Elli had a job she had to photograph, Collyn had plans with a few friends from a sculpting class he'd taken in college, and Parker had to work the radio. After new years, the next few weeks went by like normal. The three hung out regularly. The friends with benefits remained the same between Elli and Parker. Neither giving it up and both keeping it a tight-lipped secret. Everything was normal until Elli got a phone call the first week of February.

"Hello?" Elli asks, phone to her ear, one hand running through Parker's hair as he's laid on her lap reading an old comic book.

"Hey, is this Elli?" The feminine voice asks.

"Yeah, who's this?" Elli's question brings Parker's eyes up to her's.

"Hey, um, it's Jenny." Jenny says, the timidness reading through the few words.

Elli pauses, fingers still threaded through Parker's hair. "Uh....hi?"Elli says, unsure of what else to say.

"Um, I know this is random and totally out of the blue but...I'm in town." Jenny says in a quick ramble.

"Okay." Elli states, allowing her uncertainty to come through while Parker mouths a 'who is it?' to which Elli just shakes her head.

"Well, I was wondering if you wanted to meet up? Maybe today if you could? I just want to catch up and explain everything if that's okay. You can say no, I understand." Jenny rambles and Elli just sighs, looking down to Parker and she feels herself wanting to scream a no but Parker's big brown eyes are always so damn forgiving that Elli knows what the right thing to do is.

"Yeah, okay." Elli says after a few beats. "Starbucks on Madison and Clark?"

"Two hours?" Jenny offers.

"I'll be there." Elli agrees.

"Awesome." Jenny's voice lightens for a split second. "And....do you still live with Parker?"

"Yup." Elli answers flatly.

"Can I talk to him, please?"

Elli has half a mind to hang up but Parker's still looking at her with big puppy-like eyes and she can't withhold the call from him. So, she hands Parker the phone.

"Hello?" Parker asks.

"Hey, Parker." Jenny says, voice sweet but ringing sour in Parker's ears.

"Jenny?" Parker asks, breath nearly hitching in his throat as he stares wide-eyed at Elli, all color draining from his face.

"Yeah, um, hey."Jenny says.

"What do you want?" Parker's voice goes cold as he sits up.

"I just...I wanna meet up if that's okay with you. I owe you an apology."

"Yeah, you do." Parker states, no sympathy or empathy in his tone.

"Please? Give me an hour tomorrow." Jenny pleads.

"Hold on." Parker groans, putting her on hold. "What the fuck?"

He thought he'd never see her again. He didn't think he'd ever even hear her voice again and he's been more than okay with that. She hurt him, broke his heart. People don't just up and leave like nothing ever happened and then come back like this. Parker's heart aches with every beat, just staring at Elli, almost pleading for her to take the phone away. He doesn't like her. He's not in love with her but hearing Jenny's voice hurts.

"Yeah." Elli says with eyes just as wide as his. "What's she want?"

"To meet tomorrow." Parker mutters.

"Meeting up in two hours." Elli says, eyes soft.

"You're gonna meet with her? After everything?" Parker nearly yells, almost offended by it.

"She was my friend before she was your girlfriend, so yeah. I'm gonna see what she has to say."

Parker looks to the phone and Elli's heart aches for him. He's fighting a losing battle. "I should go then, right?"

Elli shrugs a shoulder with understanding eyes. "I...I mean....maybe?" Elli fumbles for words. "She hurt you but....it's been years."

Parker bites his lip, eyes back on the phone screen and watching the smaller timer keeping track of the call time. "Yeah....can always leave if it goes south."

"And hey, just plan it an hour before we're supposed to eat. Remember? We're goin' for pizza with Collyn."

Relief comes over Parker's face as his thumb hovers over the hold button. "Yeah, yeah, can do that." He sends Elli a small but thankful smile. "Yeah, okay." Parker says into the phone. "Hour tomorrow, 'bout three. Getting Georgio's with Elli and Collyn at four so we can meet at the Starbucks 'round the street." Parker says, his voice flat.

"Sounds good, I'll be there." Jenny says with her voice remaining sweet but relieved.

"Here." Parker hands the phone back to Elli without another word before he gets up and goes to the kitchen.

"So...I'll see in a few hours." Elli says once the phone is pressed back to her ear.

"Okay." Jenny agrees and the girls hang up the phones.

Elli makes her way to the kitchen, watching Parker grab a bottle of water from the fridge. He fiddles with the cap and she knows it's because now he's nervous about meeting her again. Sure, he said he wasn't in love with her and he just really liked her. But, that's the thing. He really liked her and then she broke his heart.

Elli remembers the details because she's never seen Parker like that after a breakup. He cried to her about it. He was just muttering that he didn't know what was going on or what went wrong. He thought they were fine but then Jenny just broke it off. But, that's not what hurt the most. She broke it off and left for Michigan the very next day. It wasn't so much that Jenny simply didn't want to be with Parker, it just seemed she didn't want anything to do with him at all. It was devastating looking at Parker for the first two days after the breakup.

"You alright, Parker?" Elli asks, walking in front of him.

Parker takes a deep breath, looking down at her with distant eyes. "Yeah...didn't think I'd see her again..."

"You don't have to go if you don't want to." Elli offers a hand for the water bottle.

Parker hands the plastic over. "If I don't, I'll regret it."

Elli unscrews the lid and keeps it so Parker won't be picking the plastic and hands the bottle back. "Yeah, probably but you just text me or call me and I'll come in to get you." Elli gives him a cornered but protective smile.

"Thanks, darlin'." Parker half smiles before taking a sip of his water.

"I always got you, you know that." Elli smiles as Parker wraps an arm around her and brings her in for a hug.

"Yeah," Parker huffs before kissing the top of her head. "Be lost without ya."

"Glad you can admit it." Elli jokes as she looks to him, wide grin on display.

"Fuck off." Parker groans with a laugh.

"I should get ready anyway." Elli moves out of his grasp with a soft laugh.

Elli leaves Parker to himself and goes off to shower. While she spends her time getting ready, she can feel the nerves building. It's not much, not enough to actually cause panic or even be in for-front of her mind but it is enough that Elli can feel her palms sweating.

Seeing someone who leaves without a trace after two years isn't what someone would normally call fun. The last time Elli saw Jenny, Jenny was fine. She was happy and smiling, laughing and talkative just as she always was. And then later that night, Elli's home alone until Parker comes home with red-rimmed eyes and tear-stained cheeks, muttering that Jenny and him had broken up. By the next day, Jenny was just gone. No calls, no texts, radio silence. The whole thing was weird so it's only right for Elli to be slightly nervous as she finishes getting ready.

Before Elli leaves, Parker wishes her luck and tells her to just text him if she needs him to bail her out. But after that, Elli is out the door and on her way to the agreed Starbucks. She chooses to walk, knowing the air will do her good and walking around the city has its own way of keeping Elli calm.

It's going to go one of two ways. Elli is either going to explode for Jenny leaving and not only hurting her but hurting Parker or Jenny will explain and things will be squashed. Elli tries to stay optimistic in her walk, hoping for the latter. They were friends for a reason and people fuck up, they do stupid shit, but people change. People can be remorseful and they can have forgiveness and redemption. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Elli reaches the Starbucks, seeing Jenny waiting outside. Jenny's smile widens as she sees Elli and Elli smiles back, a rush of happiness comes over her for those few seconds. She didn't realize how much she missed Jenny until she saw her there. She looks the exact same. Dark brown curly hair running naturally down to the middle of her back, round but thin glasses hang on the bridge of her nose, and her skin is clear as ever. She still looks perfect.

"Hey." Jenny greets as Elli closes the distance.

"Hey." Elli says back, a soft nod. "We should go inside, assume you're cold." Elli reaches for the door and holds it open for Jenny.

"Thank you." Jenny says and the girls leave the conversation for the moment, getting in line to order their coffees before finding a place to sit.

Chatter surrounds Elli and Jenny as the two are seated in their own silence by the window. Elli keeps her eyes either on her coffee out the window, watching traffics pass by the busy Chicago streets. Drops of water drip down to the pavement, melting snow and ice falling from the roof of the building. Jenny fiddles with her fingers, not expecting the air fall as awkward as it is between the two of them.

The girls were friends from a festival. They clicked, similar to how Elli clicked with the boys. Jenny became a fourth person to their group but she also had her own friends and she went to a different school to study law, so they only got together when Jenny wasn't swamped. Nevertheless, the four did get along quite well and the girls appreciated the friendship of more than just guys. But, that changed when Jenny left and now it's just awkward.

"So, how's the photography thing going?" Jenny asks, breaking the silence.

"Good, photographed a nice wedding at the Shedd aquarium before Christmas." Elli answers, sipping from her coffee. "How's school?"

"Good." Jenny smiles, softly. "Still have two more years left but it's good."

"That's good." Elli answers, eyes trained back to the window.

Jenny sighs, leaning forward. "Elli, look, I'm sorry I left and that was it."

"Can I say I told you so?" Elli quirks a brow back at her.

"Yeah," Jenny scoffs but a smile comes to her lips.

"I told you if you dated Parker and it ended, it would end on bad terms. Told you so."

"It's not like I wanted to leave." Jenny mutters.

"Then why did you? No one forced you."

"Because I was hurt and--"

Elli laughs, eyes widening. "You were hurt?" Elli leans back, scoffing with both hands wrapped around her cup as Jenny's brows furrow. "Yeah, you break Parker's heart and leave without a trace but you're hurt."

"Oh, here we go." Jenny huffs. "Protective Elli, always looking out for Parker." Jenny rolls her eyes. "You still in love with him or are you still living that lie?"

"I don't know, how's the lie you're living?" Elli's eyes are cold as she stares Jenny down.

"What lie?"

Elli licks her lips, shrugging. "You hate law school. It's why you hung out with us."

Jenny groans, moving the curly strands of hair from her face. "That's fair." She nods with a sigh. "I'm really sorry, okay? I am. I'm sorry for what I just said and for leaving without at least telling you why."

Elli nods, bringing the cup to her lips. "Okay," Her voice loosens the chilled tone. "Why didn't you just text me or call me? Or even Collyn? It just wasn't like you and you had us worried. Even your social media went dark for a month."

"Collyn really can keep a secret, damn." Jenny's brows raise as she takes a drink of her coffee. "I called Collyn back, granted, I told him to stop calling but I did call him back."

Elli gets it. She's hurt that Jenny was supposed to be her friend and up and left, leaving her to worry but Elli understands. Jenny needed to do what was best for her and if leaving was best, then so be it. So, Elli lets it go.

"Well," Elli lets out a breath. "You never told me your side. I forgive you for leaving but I do wanna know your side. You were my friend, too. Not just Parker."

"Okay, do you really wanna know what happened?" Jenny asks and Elli nods. "Parker, he's great, Elli and I will always love him but he was never in love with me. He's been in love with you." Jenny pauses and Elli just lets her take the time she needs. "I didn't care that he'd bail if you needed him because I know how much you guys mean to each other and I'd never come between that but....he.....he was different with you. We'd go out and people always assumed you two were together, not us. He never told me but he didn't have to do."

"Parker said you broke up because it just wasn't working." Elli states, keeping her voice level as to not show her annoyance with people telling her Parker's the one in love with her.

"Yeah," Jenny nods. "It wasn't. He didn't lie but it wasn't working because I wasn't going to be his..." Jenny pauses, trying to find the right way to phrase her words. "Backup."

"You're not a backup and he's really not in love with me. He was crushed when you ended it and left."

Jenny shakes her head. "Yeah, he is. Present tense and I know he was, I have no doubt he had feelings for me. I feel awful but he's fine." Elli rolls her eyes and Jenny notices her expression going annoyed. "I'm just saying. Have you guys ever talked about it?" Jenny asks calmly, knowing she's approaching shark waters with her next question. "Ya know, what you told him that night?"

"You're steering this away from you leaving." Elli chuckles.

"Yeah," Jenny laughs. "I'm sorry I left and didn't contact you because I was dumb, hurt, and selfish. I promise to keep in touch. Moving on."

"Well, what exactly are you talking about?" Elli asks with a nervous laugh, hoping it's not what she thinks.

Jenny just stares at her, eyes narrowing. "I listened to your voicemails. You're in love with him and you told him. He froze. Come on, continue."

Elli closes her eyes and sighs, putting her arms on the table and her head lays on her arms. She groans out and Jenny holds back a snicker. "You were ignoring me. Why'd you listen?" Elli's mumbled grumble causing Jenny just starts laughing.

"Just in case there was an emergency." Jenny says through a laugh, making Elli pick her head up and glare. "C'mon, what happened? And when did you even tell him? Your voicemail wasn't exactly detailed and it didn't sound like it was something new."

Elli picks her head all the way back up. "Listen, I was having a really bad day when I had called you. I had to deal with shitty people on the job and I needed a void and your voicemail was that voice and Collyn doesn't know and Parker doesn't know you know, obviously."

"I have no idea what we're talking about right now." Jenny jokes, gesturing for Elli to continue.

"I told him a few months before I dated Shawn...." Elli lets her voice trail off and Jenny's eyes nearly shoot out of her head.

"Wait, wait, wait." Jenny shakes her head, leaning an arm on the table. "You told him before Shawn? So before I dated him?"

"Uh-huh." Elli sips on her coffee, knowing Jenny is about to ask a ton of questions.

"So, you've been in love with him for like three years? And then you just.......didn't say anything to him or to me? Or Collyn? We're friends!"

"It was two years--"

Jenny narrows her eyes. "Math, Elli. That's like two and half years at least."

"Whatever, that's not really the point. Time is just a concept."

"Oh my gosh." Jenny groans. "Anyway, regardless, why didn't you tell me? I never would have dated him had I known? I had my suspicions, of course, but if I ever really thought it was something serious like that, I wouldn't have dated him."

Elli groans, running her hands over her face. "I dunno, alright? You both liked each other, I wanted you guys to be happy. I was with Shawn, I was over it by then. Look, I don't even know why I told him. Haven't you been in a situation where something and everything just feels right? Like, there's no reason, nothing different but there's this uncontrollable urge to just spit it out? Cause that's basically what happened."

Jenny quirks a brow and leans in, fully invested in the story. "Well, what were you guys even doing that caused you to say it? I'm not judging, it's just...ya know?"

Elli shakes her head and rolls her eyes. "We were just watching a movie and it slipped." Elli lies, not wanting to deal with the whole discussion that would come with the truth.

"And he just froze?" Jenny asks.

"Yeah....just....stared at me." Elli says, feeling her cheeks redden and her heart sinks with a horrible ache.

"And you guys just never talked about it?"

"No..." Elli says quietly. "Why bother? If he felt the same way, he would have said something but he didn't. He just...stared at me like, he was in a bit of shock but also terror. And then I moved on and dated Shawn and he dated you."

Jenny's heart aches for her reunited friend. "I'm really sorry."

"It's fine." Elli says. "It's been two years and a half years so I've moved on from it, ya know?"

"Well, like a year since you left a voicemail but..." Jenny counters.

Elli's face switches to distaste. "Whatever, I've moved on from it and I haven't even thought about it since." Elli lies again, trying to get it to be dropped and she makes a mental note that seemingly dead voicemails aren't actual voids.

Jenny nods, not fully believing her. "Are you sure?"

Elli nods. "Yeah, I'm sure. But can we not talk about it, please?"

"Yeah, sure." Jenny agrees. "

"Tell me about your love life." Elli lightens her tone with the wiggle of her brows and Jenny's face lights up.

"I have a girlfriend and she is the epitome of perfect." Jenny says with the brightest smile.

"Please give me every single detail." Elli urges, coffee cup held to her lips.

Jenny immediately starts gushing about her girlfriend of the past year and Elli hangs onto every word as if they didn't just have an argument and as if they hadn't gone two years without speaking. It was easy to fall back together. They got out what they needed to and now it's a fresh start, picking up where they left off. What started with a day of nerves, ended with Elli more than relieved and happy. The girls promise to keep in touch and Michigan isn't that far, an easy drive even so they'll figure it out, promising not just to drop off the face of the earth again.

By the time Elli gets home, Parker is sat in the living room, headphones over his head and his keyboard out in front of him. He's playing away, something new Elli hasn't heard before making him completely oblivious to her entry. She listens as she takes her shoes off and hangs up her coat before making her way into the living room, going to the floor beside him and scaring him.

"Why?" Parker seethes, eyes wide as he rips the headphones off.

Elli giggles as she leans against the couch. "You couldn't hear me anyway."

Parker glares at her before shaking his head and looking back to the keyboard. "How was it?"

"Good." Elli says. "We're fine now, talked it all out."

"Just like that?" Parker asks, not bothering to look back to her.

"Yeah...." Elli says. "She said she'll explain it to you tomorrow but I think you'll get it."

"Do you?" Parker scoffs, looking over his shoulder.

Elli's brows raise in offense. "Uh, yeah because you'd do the same thing."

Parker figures she's talking about leaving but he doesn't know for sure so he just stares at her as Elli shrugs. Elli knows him and if it were him, as much as she doesn't want to admit it, it wouldn't be beyond him to leave if something like that happened. He wouldn't just stop answering phone calls or texts but he would leave. He'd run and that's how Elli knows Parker will understand Jenny's reasoning. It'll be fine.

"Why's she back?" Parker moves onto another question, not wanting to ask about the previous statement.

"Her cousin's baby shower."

Parker nods a few times. "Ah."

Parker falls silent and Elli moves closer to him, a hand resting on his shoulder. "Look, you don't have to go if you don't want to. I wouldn't blame you and if you wanna just give her the finger and call it a day, I'll support you."

Parker chuckles, head shaking and loose curls falling onto his forehead as he looks to Elli. "Thanks." Parker says. "'M gonna go, you can hear her out, so can I." Parker sighs before resting his forehead against Elli's shoulder.

"I'm proud of you." Elli chuckles, hand fluffing his hair.

"Are you though?" He squints an eye, looking up to her and the corners of his mouth pull into a smirk.

"Always." Elli says in an almost mock tone but the smile on her lips is genuine. "What're you working on anyway?"

Parker picks his head up and leans over the keyboard for his notebook and pencil, the writing just chicken scratch. "Re-working a cover, makin' it different."

"What song?" Elli takes over the notebook, looking at the music notes written in the makeshift shafts and the small notes scribbled on the sides.

"My Thoughts On You." Parker answers, pushing a key.

"Nice, that's gonna be interesting to hear a keyboard version." Elli gives Parker an approving smile.

"If I can get it right." Parker groans with a hand running through his hair.

"You always figure it out." Elli hands the notebook back. "You always do." She leans in and presses a kiss to his cheek.

Parker blushes, a smile splitting his face before he bites his lip. He looks back to Elli, eyes gentle and loving. "Thanks." Parker says, voice a little quieter than he intended and all Elli can do is smile, a genuine and gleeful smile. Parker looks down, the blush still vibrant as ever. "I'ma keep working."

"Can I listen?" Elli asks and Parker's heart stops in his chest for a split second.

"'course." His hand comes up the back of her head, pulling her softly to him and he presses a kiss to her forehead before he moves back to the keyboard.

Elli leans back against the couch and reaches up to the small end table, grabbing her book. Parker unplugs his headphones, neatly resting them to the side and he starts where he left off. The two of them sit comfortably for the rest of the night. Just Parker playing away, stopping to change notes and rhythm, adjusting what needs to and Elli reading. No words are spoken, it's just the music and the book and the both of them couldn't be happier or more comfortable with each other.

The next day comes around and Parker finds himself at the Starbucks down the street from Georgio's. Elli wished him luck before he left, promising that she's a text away if he needs her to come in and save him. She reminded him what time they were to meet up and that she'd already be there with Collyn. But, Elli isn't the person at the front of his mind for the first time in months. It's Jenny. It's Jenny as she walks into the coffee shop, high waisted jeans and long leather jacket making her look exquisite. And Parker remembers everything he really liked about her.

Jenny gets her coffee before taking a seat in the small booth Parker had gotten, sitting opposite him. "Hey." Jenny greets, voice a little timid.

"Hey." Parker says flatly. "What'd you wanna talk about?" Parker asks right away, just trying to get it over with. He remembers what drew him in. She is the definition of everything beautiful but he remembers why he doesn't love her. So, he wants this over with.

"I just wanted to apologize for leaving." Jenny says and Parker nods, gesturing for her to continue. "I owed you more than that. We were dating but we were friends first."

"Yeah." Parker agrees, sipping his coffee.

"I'm really sorry, Parker. I know I hurt you and I just, I'm just really sorry." Jenny's face scrunches with sincerity and Parker can feel himself wanting to forgive her.

"You said I was in love with Elli and that's why you broke up with me." Parker states.

Jenny rolls her eyes. "Are you not in love with her? Honestly? Are you really not? Because no one believes it."

"You're missing the bloody point." Parker says through gritted teeth. "I'd never have dated you had there been a doubt about you. I'd never date someone being in love with another person."

Jenny sits back and he has a point. The question isn't if he was in love with Elli then, it's if he was denying it. He knew he had liked her, of course, he had wanted to ask her out. But, he didn't know he was in love with her and after she started dating Shawn, Parker threw himself so far into denial, he really didn't think he had feelings for Elli. His focus was on Jenny because that's who he was dating and he really did think he was in love with her. He's not lying and she should know that.

"I...yeah." Jenny nods. "That's fair. But, look, I think you've always been in love with her but I know that you're not that person. I think you were just in denial." Jenny says tentatively.

Parker leans back in his seat. "'m not in love with her, Jenny."

"Okay." Jenny says, clearly defeated. "She's in love with you though."

Parker completely freezes as he stares at her while she sips her drink. "She's what?" Parker asks, ready to hear whatever Jenny has to say no matter how long it takes.

------

As Collyn and Elli start to approach Georgio's Pizza, Elli feels her phone vibrate in her pocket. She pulls it out, clicking the lock button to illuminate the screen and sees Parker's name with a message displayed neatly across her background. A sigh escapes her lips as she reads the message and shoves the phone back in her pocket, pulling Collyn's attention away from what he was saying.

"All good?" He asks, looking down to her.

"Parker's gonna be late, he said. He's still with Jenny, I guess." Elli says with the shrug of her shoulders.

Collyn's eyes sadden slightly as he watches touches of disappoint fall over Elli's face. "Did he say how long?" Collyn asks.

"Nope, just said he'd be late and he'd text me when he was on the way."

"Well," Collyn sucks in a breath, looking over his shoulder. "Could be an hour for all we know so, you wanna hit up the Barnes N Noble 'round the block and he can meet us there instead?"

The disappointment in Elli's chest starts to fade with Collyn's offer and her lips pull into a gentle smile. "You sure?"

"Yeah," Collyn stops walking, jerking his head in the direction of the book store. "C'mon."

Elli turns with Collyn and the two make their way to the store and Elli takes her phone back out to let Parker know where to meet them. Her fingers glide quickly across the slick screen and Collyn glances as she types, his hands stuffed deep in his pockets and he knows by the look of disappointment she had what she's thinking and it looks like that that's killing him to keep the secret. But, it's Collyn and Collyn can keep a secret better than anyone. So, he looks in front of him and doesn't say a word. Not until Elli starts up.

"Think they might get back together?" Elli asks, looking up to Collyn and disregarding Jenny's words about her girlfriend.

Collyn chortles, shaking his head quickly. "Parker and Jenny? Fuck no."

"What?" Elli furrows her brows, the two of them coming to a stop at the crosswalk. "They were good together."

Collyn sighs, pulling a hand from his pocket to run it through his hair. "Yeah, but she hurt him, bad. You were there."

"Yeah," Elli widens her eyes. "But it's been two years."

"So?" Collyn challenges. "He might be willing to forgive her, that's Parker but he's not..." Collyn pauses, eyes lingering on Elli before moving ahead of him. "He's not into her anymore and I don't think he would be after one coffee."

Elli huffs, looking away from Collyn and following the few other people across the street and turning to the other corner. "How do you know?"

"Why does it matter?" Collyn counters.

"It doesn't..." Elli whispers.

"If it didn't, you wouldn't be askin'." Collyn chuckles softly as he nudges her with his shoulder.

"I don't want him to get hurt and if she did it before, she can do it again." Elli states.

It's the truth, it is. Jenny could leave Parker again and break his heart. She could still think Parker is in love with Elli and it could cause the exact same break up all over again. It's all true but it's been two years and people change. Elli might not want Parker to get hurt but she'd be lying if she said she wouldn't be the one hurt if Parker and Jenny got back together, even if just for a night.

"Doesn't Jenny have a girlfriend, anyway?" Collyn raises a brow.

Elli pauses before nodding just once. "Oh yeah, I forgot."

Collyn chuckles and slings an arm over her shoulders. "He's fine, okay? Let's get you a book so you can stop thinking."

"Thanks, Collyn." Elli leans into him with a quiet voice and Collyn just squeezes her closer.

The rest of the walk was quiet besides the bustling sounds of the city. It's a normal Saturday, sidewalks busy with people and cars every stop light. The weather is nicer today and everyone is trying to get out while they can. It's nice, it's nice not freezing and being able to get some fresh air without the air hurting their faces. In fact, it's so nice and refreshing, Elli almost groans when they reach Barnes And Noble. She'll be cooped up for the next few months because the weather isn't going to last like this so all she wants to do is stay out but, there's nothing else to do. So, Collyn holds the door open and the two walk inside.

Elli leads the way to the second floor of the building, Collyn following right behind her. They choose to go their separate ways, Collyn to the magazine section and Elli near the young adult books. They agree to just meet up whenever the other is done or whenever Parker texts them, whichever comes first.

While Elli walks through an aisle of shelving with plenty of books, music plays softly from above her. It's a popular Chicago station, not Parker's, but a popular one that plays all of the top hits that are currently on the charts. It's quiet though, barely even audible but still pleasant. Elli even finds it a bit calming as she looks through books and reads the backs, trying to figure out what her next choice will be.

Maybe it's the music or the calm atmosphere of the store, but Elli really could spend hours in here without a care in the world. Hours could pass and she wouldn't even know. She doesn't even have to read a book, all she needs to do is read description after description. Books will stack over in her arms but it's not until it's time to leave she'd even notice. There's just something about this store that can calm her, every worry. Maybe that's why Collyn offered.

"Hey," Collyn says, coming up to the side of Elli.

Elli jumps, spinning to face Collyn with a glare. "Scared the shit out of me."

Collyn chuckles with a shrug. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." Elli sighs with a smile. "You done already?" Elli raises a brow, seeing the magazines in Collyn's hand. Rolling Stone, an art magazine she can't make out, and another one smooshed between the two.

"Already?" Collyn questions gaining a teasing smirk. "It's been an hour."

"What?" Elli's eyes widen as she pulls her phone out to check the time. "Oops."

"Yeah," Collyn laughs. "Figured we could head down to the cafe and grab a coffee while we wait for Parker." Collyn sighs, expression growing annoyed.

Elli's face falls as she stares at her phone screen that's lacking the text from Parker. "Yeah, okay, um..." Elli looks at the books in her hands. "Lemme just..." She looks them over, trying to figure out which one she wants.

"Hey." Collyn's expression switches as he starts looking around. "Do you smell that?"

Elli pauses, looking to Collyn and then around like he's doing. Her heart sinks to her stomach and her palms grow ice cold. "Is that smoke?"

Collyn's eyes are just narrowed with concern. "I think so, we should go."

"Right behind you." Elli says, putting the misplaced books on the shelving and following Collyn through the row of books.

The two of them work on getting away from the back wall and to the stairs. Other people are already rushing down the stairs and people from the first floor are rushing out of the building. The scent of smoke starts to become clear and grey clouds filter through the air, finally triggering the fire alarms.

Collyn's hand reaches behind him, grabbing Elli's to make sure she's right behind him. And the two are just around to round the corner to get away from the wall, to the railing of the balcony, and to the stairs but then that's when it happens.

A loud rushing boom sounds through the entire store. The floor rumbles beneath the two and they're thrown off their feet in a quick motion. Smoke clouds their vision as the shelving starts to come down, everything happening at once giving neither of them any time to avoid the impact. of the blast or the shelving that's coming down onto them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

432 28 28
NOTHING absolutely nothing can beat best friends to lovers, the angst? unmatched. the longing? heart breaking. the history? the jealousy? it's always...
71 6 5
||~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|| HEAVILY INSPIRED BY AN MSA (MY STORY ANIMATED) VIDEO, I FELL IN LOVE WITH A BOY THAT I CAN NEVER HAVE. ||~~~~~~~...
182K 2.9K 20
Friends with benefits is supposed to be just that. Friends with the benefits of fooling around and not having anything more than platonic feelings. E...
860K 19.4K 31
It's official. I'm a High School graduate and a soon to be College Student! Finally going to get out of my parents house and off on my own. Well.. T...