Maybe Perfect

By emmaroseszalai

Sophie Campbell is a seventeen year old senior at Jackson High that also holds down a part-time job at the lo... More

1: Maybe Perfect
2: Maybe Perfect
3: Maybe Perfect
4: Maybe Perfect
5: Maybe Perfect
6: Maybe Perfect
7: Maybe Perfect
8: Maybe Perfect
9: Maybe Perfect
10: Maybe Perfect
11: Maybe Perfect
12: Maybe Perfect
13: Maybe Perfect
14: Maybe Perfect
15: Maybe Perfect
17: Maybe Perfect
18: Maybe Perfect
19: Maybe Perfect
20: Maybe Perfect
21: Maybe Perfect
22: Maybe Perfect
23: Maybe Perfect
24: Maybe Perfect
25: Maybe Perfect
26: Maybe Perfect
27: Maybe Perfect
28: Maybe Perfect
29: Maybe Perfect
30: Maybe Perfect
31: Maybe Perfect
32: Maybe Perfect
33: Maybe Perfect
34: Maybe Perfect
35: Maybe Perfect
36: Maybe Perfect
37: Maybe Perfect
38: Maybe Perfect
39: Maybe Perfect
40: Maybe Perfect
41: Maybe Perfect
42: Maybe Perfect
43: Maybe Perfect
44: Maybe Perfect
Epilogue: Maybe Perfect

16: Maybe Perfect

301K 5.7K 759
By emmaroseszalai

Chapter 16

Tonight was going to be fun, tonight I was going to listen Jett perform at the café and hang out with him and his friends afterwards. The only thing I had to do was get through the day… and of course, the day felt like it went on forever.

Before school Piper was gushing al about how Jay had went over to her house yesterday and apologized for ignoring her and letting her slip away, and he even asked her out on a real date, to which she graciously accepted.

Yea, I was happy for Piper, but I just wanted this school day to be over with so I could come home and relax before going out tonight. Also, Max’s girlfriend was coming over while I was in school so I was excited to come home and meet her.

However, fate had different plans…

Both of my morning teachers decided that they wouldn’t give us homework for the weekend as apparently, we had been working so hard for the last couple of weeks, we deserved a bit of a break. Great right? Wrong. Instead of giving us work to do both teachers stood at the front of the class and gave the class a lecture on a supposed ‘important lesson’. I was trying to copy the best notes I could but by the time each lecture was half way finished; I was zoning out just like the rest of the class.

At lunch Piper spent most of her time talking to Jay on the phone while Blake and I just sat there peacefully eating our lunches… well as peaceful as it could be with our other best friend talking her new boyfriend’s ear off.

Even English, which was usually not so boring as I had Jett there to keep me focused or entertain me, was boring as hell because we all had to work quietly on a surprise school board multiple choice test that took up most of the class.

I was currently slumped in my chair during last period, watching the clock until he bell rung. My anatomy teacher was currently talking about the importance of joints and what they do to help our bodies move but I couldn’t be bothered to listen to the end of his lecture as I was itching to get out of there since only 5 minutes of the school day remained.

Tick. Tick. Tick.

As I watched the clock it seemed to slow down; typical, just when you need time to speed up it slows down.

After an agonizing five minutes, the bell finally rang and everybody piled out of class. I was one fo the first ones to head out, having already packed up my things a couple of minutes ago and was on my way towards my locker.

Just like yesterday, as I was putting my books back into my locker, Jett came up beside me and leaned against the locker next to mine.

I closed my locker and turned towards him with an eyebrow raised. “Is this going to be a regular occurrence now a days?” I asked teasingly.

Jett just rolled his eyes at me. “I’m not here to beg for a ride again if that’s what you’re thinking.” he said in defence.

“Okay, then what do you need?” I asked curiously.

“I was just making sure we’re still on tonight, and if you didn’t mind, I was going to ask if you wanted me to pick you up around six and we could go to the café early to meet the guys and get something to eat.” he asked, looking a little worried, like I might say no.

I nodded. “Yea that’s sounds good. Besides that all I have to do tonight is go home and meet my brother’s girlfriend so six should be good.” I replied with a smile.

Jett smiled back at me. “Okay, well I’ll see you at six then. Bye.” Jett said, sending me one last smile before walking out the front doors of the school.

I turned back to my locker to lock it when Piper suddenly appeared. “So… you have a date tonight?” she asked suggestively, wiggling her eyebrows towards me.

I was about to reply to her when Blake appeared beside us. “Soph’s got a date tonight?” he asked, smirking in my direction.

In response I rolled my eyes and shoved Piper playfully. “No.” I replied in a stern voice. “I don’t have a date tonight but for your information, I’m going out to dinner with Jett and some of his friends before I go and watch him perform tonight.”

Piper pouted. “Well I was going to ask you to help me get ready for my date but I guess you’ll be too busy.” she said suggestively.

In turn I rolled my eyes again. “Yea I will, because Max’s girlfriend should be at my house by now and if you want to get ready instead of meet her then go for it.” I said, smirking slightly at her.

Piper’s eyes widened slightly, obviously because she forgot that Kara, my brothers supposed girlfriend, was coming to town for the weekend.

Before Piper could reply, Blake butted in. “Max has a girlfriend?” he asked and I nodded in reply. “Well than congratulate him for me as I have to head home whenever you get your sassy ass up and in your car.”

I childishly stuck my tongue out in his direction. “I’ll get you home,” I replied, “but if you guys aren’t busy tomorrow my aunt and uncle don’t mind if you guys sleepover tomorrow since we haven’t hung out in a while and I have nothing else to do.”

Piper and Blake nodded in confirmation before Piper started tugging us down the hallway. “Hurry up, Blake has to get home and I want to meet this mysterious Kara.” she said, finishing our conversation and successfully pulling us out the school doors.

I finally got my wrist free from Piper’s death grip when we were on the front steps of the school. “If you’d let go of me I’d be able to unlock the car.” I stated sarcastically as I looked through my bag and grabbed my car keys.

Piper just rolled her eyes and kept walking ahead of me with Blake. “Hurry up slow poke!” she yelled, scurrying her way to my car.

I rolled my eyes at my best friend’s odd behaviour and followed her towards my car.

After dropping off Blake at his house with a promise to see him tomorrow, I drove back to my house and parked in my driveway with an overexcited Piper in the passenger seat.

As soon as I cut the engine, Piper had already unbuckled her seatbelt and was scurrying up the driveway towards my house. I shook my head in amusement before getting out of the car myself.

Once inside my house I closed the door behind me, that an otherwise distracted Piper had forgotten to close, and dropped my bag at the doorway while taking off my shoes. My best guess was Piper had gone to check the basement for Max and his girlfriend and my suspicions were confirmed when she came up the stairs in a huff.

“Where is he?” she exclaimed, slightly angry.

Sometimes I didn’t understand her weirdness but I’ve learned to live with it because we’re so close.

“You know,” I said, suddenly coming up with an idea, “they could be in his room.” I finished suggestively.

Piper raised her eyebrow at me as a smirk appeared on her face. “As long as they aren’t banging I’m all up for crashing their one on one party.” she replied, nodding her head towards the set of stairs that led to the upstairs bedrooms.

I nodded my head in agreement and started up the stairs quietly with Piper right behind me. When we got to Max’s door, I didn’t hear any noise so I turned to Piper, signalling her to stay quiet and quickly opened the bedroom door.

Now, since Max had never had a girlfriend that I’ve known of before I wouldn’t think he would be the type of guy to be making out with his girlfriend when he was well aware that people could barge in at any moment, but there he was, laying on his bed above his girlfriend, shirtless, and they were making out like no tomorrow.

They obviously hadn’t noticed us yet because they were too wrapped up in each other, literally and Piper was staring at the pair with shock because she too knew how shy Max was when it came to girls.

“You know, you should really cover up.” I spoke aloud, alerting my brother and his girlfriend of our presence while throwing him one of the many t-shirts that were lying on his bedroom floor.

Max jumped up quickly, getting off the bed and looking slightly embarrassed to be caught making out with his girlfriend by his younger sister. Behind him, the girl I assumed to be Kara was full on embarrassed and her cheeks were beat red.

Max coughed to cover the awkward silence as he pulled on the shirt I had chucked his way. “Umm… hey Sophie, this is Kara, my girlfriend.” he said, helping Kara up from his bed and putting an arm around her waist.

When I thought of the kind of girls my brother would attract, Kara definitely didn’t fit the mark. The girl in front of me stood at about 5’5” with long dirty blonde hair that had a couple of bubble gum pink streaks in it but I always thought my brother liked nerdy brunettes.

“Hi.” Kara spoke quietly, obviously shy and still slightly embarrassed that we had walked on them.

I threw a slight smirk in my brother’s direction before smiling at Kara and introducing myself. “Hi, I’m Sophie and this,” I said, pointing towards a smiling Piper, “is my best friend Piper.”

At first glance, Kara didn’t seem like quite a shy person, with the pink highlights and the fashionable little nose stud she was sporting, but as she stood there leaning more towards Max as the seconds ticked by, I could tell that she was really nervous.

I looked at Piper, silently telling her with my eyes to go home because she could meet Kara again later and I didn’t Kara to think she was being judged.

“Well, I’m heading home. I just came over quickly to meet Max’s mystery girl so now that I’ve met you I might see you again this weekend, and if not, it was nice meeting you.” Piper announced, saying a quick goodbye to Kara, before backing out of the room and leaving the house.

I turned back to the couple in front of me. “You know, if you wanted to get it on or something, you should at least have the brains to lock the door before you start nimrod.” I said teasingly towards my brother.

Max just glared at me and shook his head. “Just shut up Soph.” he replied, giving Kara a quick kiss on her head before letting go of her waist and grabbing her hand. “Did you wanna go talk and get to know each other a bit more downstairs?” he asked, addressing both me and Kara.

Kara just shrugged and bit her lip while I spoke up and smiled at the couple. “Sure, I don’t mind. Plus, I want to get to know your first girlfriend.”

Before Max could say anything, I turned and walked out of the bedroom, took the stairs and ended up sitting on one of the recliners in the living room. I could hear footsteps coming down the stairs so I automatically assumed that they were following me. After a couple of seconds, Max and Kara appeared, hand in hand, and sat across from me on the couch. They were sitting close together and Max had his arm thrown over Kara’s shoulder, and now that I looked at them, they did look really cute together.

“So…” I started, “how did you two meet?”

Kara smiled, turning to look at Max before turning her attention back at me. “Umm… well we sit beside each other in our English lecture and one day the professor asked us to pair up and work on a presentation about a novel he chose. Since neither of us knew anybody else in the class we just paired up and became friends quick. I guess near the end of November Max took me out for dinner and surprisingly asked me to be his girlfriend. I knew that I was starting to feel more than friendship towards him so I agreed and, well, that’s that.” she replied quietly, obviously still shy but warming up to me slightly.

I smiled at her and nodded. “You do know that you’re the first girl he’s ever talked about or brought home right?” I asked her teasingly, trying to get another quick dose of embarrassment on my brother in front of his girlfriend.

Before Kara could reply, Max intercepted and glared at me. “Sophie, seriously, shut it.” he said, slightly angry and slightly embarrassed.

I opened my mouth to reply but was cut off by a giggle that didn’t come from my mouth. Both Max and I turned to see Kara laughing quietly at us. She turned to Max and smiled before turning back to me. “Yea, I know I’m his first girlfriend, after he asked me out I asked him if he was nervous to ask me out and he said yes because he hadn’t had a girlfriend before, which by the way, I thought was adorable.” she said, looking over at my brother with what looked like love in her eyes and planted a quick kiss on his lips.

“Aww..” I said quietly as I watched my brother look into her eyes lovingly and kiss her cheek before turning to me.

He rolled his eyes at my comment. “Don’t you have your own date to attend to?” he asked, trying to get rid of me.

I glared at him. “For the last time, it’s not a date. He is picking me up in an hour or two and we’re going to meet his friends to eat and hang out.” I replied.

He stuck his tongue out at me. “Well then, go get ready because we have a date of our own and Mary and Dennis said they’d stay out tonight so we could just hang around the house.” he said, referring to our aunt and uncle.

I wiggled my eyebrows at him. “Planning on getting lucky in an empty house?” I asked teasingly.

Kara burst out laughing at my comment while Max looked mortified. He took a pillow from behind his back and chucked it my way. “No, I wasn’t.” he replied, looking slightly pissed off.

I shrugged while getting up from my seat. “Whatever you say, just don’t get it on in my bedroom… oh, and use protection!” I yelled as I scurried up the stairs to my room.

I didn’t hear my brother’s reply but I did hear Kara’s laughter get slightly louder as I closed the door to my room.

The next two hours flew by, with me watching some television, taking a shower and getting ready, I was just finishing putting a bit of mascara on when the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it!” I yelled for Max’s benefit. I’d bet he would be to focused on his girlfriend that he would want to answer the door anyways.

I put my mascara back on my dresser, checking myself over in the mirror one last time before bolting down the stairs only to see Kara alone in the living room watching a movie; which meant that Max had answered the door.

“Well, just have her home by midnight.” I heard Max tell Jett as I walked up behind him.

I thumped my brother on the back of the head before pushing him to the side and smiling at Jett. “You ready to go?” I asked, excited to be hanging out with someone other than Piper or Blake on a Friday night for once.

Jett nodded but turned to my brother. “Don’t worry, I’ll have her home.” he said with a smile before turning to me and nodding outside where his bike was parked. “Are you ready?” he asked and I nodded.

Tonight was going to be a fun night.

***********************************************

So this is kind of a filler… not much but we get to meet Kara and there’s a little bit of comedy in here. The next chapter will for sure be them hanging out.

Next Update: by Thursday, school starts tomorrow so I won’t have as much time to write as I normally would.

Vote/Comment/Share/Fan :) ! xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.7K 330 15
Sophie's a freshman in high school and she's in love with her neighbor names Carson who just so happens to be a sophomore. Watch their rocky relation...
47.5K 1K 44
All the way throughout elementary school it was always Bella, Leo, Liz, Flynn, Nate, Elliot and Amelia. They were all long time friends.. In the sop...
12.1K 481 48
She puckered up for a high-school prank and sparked a battle of the gods... Sixteen-year-old Sophie has mastered the art of troublemaking. And her ne...
64 14 7
*SEQUEL TO And Yet I Smile * A kiss gave her all the reason she needed to smile, but can it keep the smile alive forever? Seventeen-year-old, Sophie...