Buzzkill: The Reckoning

Bởi NoraCampbell

Reunited after years of separation, Ruth Rogers and James Buchanan Barnes are caught in the snares of right a... Xem Thêm

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59

Chapter 34

2.3K 117 15
Bởi NoraCampbell

Something shifted within Ruth. It was a tilt toward who she once was, a leaning. The USB seemed to burn a hole in her pocket, the guilt for this kind of lie against Bucky still a new feeling. She knew something had to be done, that she would have to do something to make all this right, to make sure it doesn't happen again. Ruth knew what she had to do.

    Ruth and Bucky walked into the control room at the head of the carrier, light illuminating, filling the room from the windows making up the front end of the carrier, an agent Ruth had seen but not formally met stood at the controls.

    Standing on the lower deck, Natasha and Sam looked back to Bucky and Ruth, their mouthes in a tight line, arms crossed.

    "Look who's back," Sam remarked.

    "What's that supposed to mean?" Bucky asked, taking off his coat.

    "Ruth, I think you should go talk to Steve and Tony. They're in the lab," Natasha said before looking back out the windows.

    Ruth furrowed her brows, looking up to Bucky, wondering what the heck was going on.

    "Come on," He said to her, keeping a hesitant eye out for Sam and Nat, heading towards the lab.

    "Hey Steve," Ruth said as her and Bucky walked into the lab. "Is everything alright?" She walked over to the two of them as they stood beside Tony's main computer.

    "Sam and Nat seem to be a little off," Bucky added.

    Steve shared the same expression. Cold, distant. "Before Kal left, she named a file from Ruth's time at the facility." He looked to Ruth, "Do you recognize the date?"

    Ruth felt her stomach churn, what did they see? "No," she started, "Wasn't it sometime in June?"

    "June 23rd, 2011. Do you know the date? The mission?" Steve asked.

    Ruth thought for a moment. "I'm sorry, Steve. I don't. I'm sure if you told me the mission I would remember—"

    "Maybe this will jog your memory," Tony interrupted, typing away at his computer, bringing up a file that contained a video.

    Ruth's heart rate quickened as she turned her focus to the screen.

    On the video she saw herself sat at a table across from two people. Men. Their faces tough, worn down. Ruth recognized them as Russian intelligence officers that came by the facility every now and then.

    One of the Russian men spoke up first, "Why should we trust you with anything that we have miss, uh—"

    "Ruth," She finished.

    "Ruth. Why you? Why this facility?"

    "We've worked with you for quite sometime now Mr. Morozov. We've given you information, and you've returned the favor. You know we're reliable, and you know the power we have." Ruth spoke assuredly, her words smooth. "Why do you doubt us?"

    "What we have is..." He glanced to his partner next to him. "Invaluable."

    "The problem is, Morozov, you'll get nowhere without us, but we can get by just fine without you. Things will just get a little...messier. We prefer to work cleanly. If you don't give us the information we need now, we'll buy it from someone else." She gave the smallest smile, getting the men to soften up. "You don't want to give up on this opportunity."

    There was a pause, the apprehension in Morozov's eyes clear. He looked to his partner before speaking, "The exchange is still what we discussed?"

    "Of course. You don't think we're liars, do you?" Ruth's voice acted as a warning, the hint of a threat.

    "No, no. Just making sure." Morozov nodded to his partner who took out a small, steel briefcase, opening it and showing the contents to Ruth.

   The partner's voice was different than Morozov's, hesitant, unsure. "Here are the prototype blueprints for the serum you requested. This will change the way wars will be won. We've taken science decades old and turned it into something no one else can even fathom," The hesitancy faded away as a wonder filled his voice. "Each vial can be tailored to your specifications."

   Ruth looked through the first few pages, "This looks incomplete."

    "Like he said," the partner nodded to Morozov, "This is a prototype. We don't have the serum finished yet. There are many technical adjustments we'll have to make."

    "Yes," Morozov interjected, "And soon we'll be getting files of a serum that is being tested on orphans over in eastern Europe. They volunteered, of course. But so far, none have survived the experimentation process."

    Ruth cocked an eyebrow, "Then what makes you think we'll want a fatal serum?"

    "If—, when, they get this right, this serum can give these patients abilities. Powers more complex than you can ever imagine," Morozov said in awe.

    "I can imagine quite a bit," Ruth replied.

    "Mind manipulation," Morozov continued. "Superior strength, speed. The power of the gods."    

    Ruth let out a deep breath. "How long will this take for you to get these files?"

    "Not sure. It could be a couple years."

    Ruth let out a short laugh.

    "We need to wait until they've had a successful trial," Morozov explained, leaning forward. "Once they do, we'll get the files, and evaluate what can be added to our serum to enhance the capabilities."

    Ruth looked from one officer to the other, "And you're sure you'll be able to get these files easily?"

    "That's where we'll need your help," Morozov said nervously. "It's Hydra who has the files."

    Ruth cursed aloud, "We do not want Hydra involved in this."

    "Which is why we need one of your agents to take the files from them," Morozov continued.

    Ruth nodded. "Obviously this will add to your cost of our involvement. This mission will be a great risk for us."

    Morozov nodded quickly, "Yes, of course. We'll take the compensation out of our agreement. We'll keep in touch for any more updates."

   Ruth stood from her seat, extending her hand, "If any of this is leaked or found at any other facility, not only will our deal be off, but I would suggest you both take a long walk alone in the woods. It will be a lot less painful than if we got our hands on you."

    Morozov swallowed hard, standing, shaking Ruth's hand, "Yes, yes. Agreed."

    And with a smile more cunning than a cobra, Ruth spoke, "Always a pleasure doing business, Morozov."

    The video stopped, both Tony and Steve turning to look at Ruth. She could feel Bucky's eyes bearing down from beside her. Ruth's breath quickened, she couldn't take her eyes off the screen.

    "You knew about the serum?" Bucky asked breathlessly.

    Ruth winced at the betrayal in his voice. "I don't remember this."

    Tony let out a laugh, "Great, here comes the bullshit."

    "I'm serious," Ruth insisted. "I remember those officers, I remember the meeting, but I don't remember anything about a serum."

    "All that meeting was about was the serum!" Steve accused, his voice getting louder. "How are we supposed to believe a damn thing you say? How do we know you haven't known about the serum all along and are trying to use SHIELD, to use Bucky, as a scapegoat?"

    "I find it awfully odd how Kal didn't take you with her when Hydra invaded," Tony spoke up, "But now it's starting to become pretty clear."

    Ruth's eyes darted around to everyone's expressions. She couldn't believe this was happening.

    "Anything else you're hiding from us? Any lies you want to admit to before another one of your facility-pals tells us about your past?" Tony continued, sarcasm flowing through his words.

    The USB suddenly felt like a rock weighing down her coat. Ruth shook her head, "I don't know what else to tell you." She was speechless. This was Kal's plan all along. Kal knew she wasn't going to take Ruth out, SHIELD was going to eliminate her while Kal stood back and watched.

    "Buck, Tony, can you step out please?" Steve asked, his voice authoritative.

    Tony walked straight out of the room. Bucky lingered, looking to Ruth before turning away.

    Ruth didn't know what to expect. She didn't know if Steve would beat the crap out of her, kill her, throw her overboard; A thousand things ran through her mind.

    As soon as they were alone, Steve spoke up, "I asked you if you were using Bucky, and you told me no." His words cut like daggers. He took a couple steps closer to her, his stature seeming to tower above her, "If you lied to me, if you hurt him, no relation between us can keep me from sending you to a pit of an underground prison where not even Bucky can get you out."

    A shiver traveled bitterly down Ruth's spine. "I understand."

    "I suggest you go and get some sleep. I'm not sure what will happen tomorrow if Ross finds out about this," Steve commanded more than suggested.

    Ruth nodded.

    Steve motioned for the door, "That's all."

    Ruth turned, conflicted, and walked through the dark hallways to her room. Since the night they danced, Ruth bunked with Bucky in his room, keeping to the far edge of the bed to create distance. His presence had finally allowed her to sleep. She knew tonight would be different.

    As she walked into her room and turned the lights on, Ruth noticed the floor had been clean from all glass shards, the broken mirror taken out of the room. Her hand ached as she looked away, taking off her coat, holding firmly onto the envelope she took from within the pocket. Ruth looked around the corners of the room, searching for cameras. She tucked the envelope in her boots that sat at the end of the bed and walked to Bucky's room.

    She took a deep breath before knocking on the door.

    Only a moment later, Bucky's face emerged. Grief wove in his expression, eyes like the light inside had dimmed. His hair was tied back, ready to go to bed. Bucky opened the door wide for Ruth to walk in. It hurt Ruth's heart to see him still allow her to bunk with him.

    "Buck," Ruth started, her voice low. "I think it's best if I stayed in my room tonight." She didn't even try to reconcile with him, to tell him that she really didn't remember a thing from that meeting, that she would never want him to get hurt. Whatever it took.

    "Oh," His voice was frail, his posture softened. "Yeah, I understand."

    Ruth turned to go back, her hand on the door jam. Before walking away, she looked back to Bucky, her heart ached.

    With steps as careful as if she were walking on ice, Ruth stood in front of him and pressed her lips against his cheek, her soft kiss lingering for a moment before turning to leave.

    She just hoped one day he would understand what she needed to do.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

245K 7.2K 100
Warning BDSM content James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes Jr is doing better than he had been before. However, one day he ran into someone, a young woman...
348K 10.4K 82
COMPLETED What happens when you add a third to the dynamic duo of Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes? Y/n was best friends with Bucky and Steve until they...
26.4K 682 9
Star is only a child, and her entire life has been dictated by HYDRA, anything she did was what they wanted to do. She is confused and scared, but th...
128K 5.6K 42
It's been two years since Bucky Barnes showed up half dead on Willow Dariela's porch. They've grown close, and Barnes has joined the Avengers. All tr...