Into The Rift

By Renegade_Russkiy

Jerome is at the height of his career as a United Nations Operative, his noble job has his skills placed on t... More

Feeling Adrift (1)
Reinstated Purpose (2)
In Pursuit (3)
Faceless Vagrants (4)
New Eden (5)
New mission, Same goals (6)
Within Humanity (7)
Cradled in Uncertainty (8)
Rules Of Engagement (9)
Voice of Dissent (10)
Blind Reach (11)
Foreign Soil (12)
Air of Conflict (13)
Darkening Skies (14)
A One-Finger Salute (15)
A Helper Left Behind (Undergoing Revamp) (16)
Intelligence Updated (17)
Simply Misconceptions (18)
Return To Sender (19)
Communications Withdrawal (20)
In Our Nature (21)
Human Response (22)
Duty Is Universal (23)
Lights Out (24)
Whatever It Takes (25)
Cut From Humanity (27)
Combat Effective (28)
Interwoven Chaos (29)
On Our Own Accord (30)
Measured Reaction (31)
Damage Control (32)
Imminent Concern (33)
Possible Reprisal (34)
Mutual Losses (35)
Ghosting Memories (36)
History Falling Down (37)
Hope Against All Odds (38)
Mystery Held Within (39)
Direct Action (40)
Alarming Circumstances (41)
In The Name Of Her Majesty (42)
The Sovereign Islands (43)
Prelude To Conflict (44)
The Thread She Weaves (45)
Final Departure (46)
The Few, And Desperate (47)
Lethal Force Projection (48)
Paid In Blood(49)
Guilty As Charged (50)
Skeleton Crew (51)
Homerun (52)
Foreign Insights (53)
Neglected Stronghold (54)
Search & Destroy (55)
House Arrest (56)
In Mercy We Trust 57
Last Call (58)

Red Zone Recovery (26)

2.5K 89 20
By Renegade_Russkiy

Silence is heavily enforced as I follow Cooper's lead alongside my men, we keep up the stoic persona without words escaping our sealed lips. Various people slide pass my vision as I continue the walk towards this Reception Chamber.

Priority number one, ensure Daniel Cooper's safety at all costs. That thought was a constant echo, chiming in every now and then, it's significance amplified by the palpable tension.

There isn't really any sense of danger, despite my lack of familiarity with the surroundings. But the risks however minuscule, still have to be taken into consideration.

I trust my men to respond accordingly to any change in the situation. This section of the palace is an unknown to my men, this isn't the case for Cooper judging from his definitive strides. None of the guards seem to mind us prancing around, or even approach us to demand an explanation for our presence, which is unexpected.

The palace retainers to the rear still remain adamant on sticking to our tail, their shared curiosity is now more than a little concerning. I stop to glare at them, wordlessly telling them to back off. They seem to get the message.

"That's right...." I internally praise myself, adding a self affirming nod for good measure as I watch their retreating forms.

With the pursuers no longer in visual, I turn my sights back to the front.

This is the western wing, the hallway's colour scheme changes significantly, what was once awash with a royal golden tinge is now an alien purple.

With a careful set of eyes, I take notes on the details of this new hallway. There are no more cerulean windows to be seen, which means the outside world is isolated from us.

There is only the distinct echoing of footsteps to punctuate the silence, my ears registering the sharp drummings as hard military boots made contact with the marble flooring.

"This is it," Cooper remarks, climbing down a short flight of stairs,"I hope she isn't too busy...."

"We're with you sir," Douglas assures him with a calm tone, "don't think.... just do, it works for us."

At the base of the stairs, we come across a massive circular lounge. Tables and chairs pattern the place, as people went about with their respective routines.

Whispers fill the air as some of the guards take in our sudden presence, "The rumors about these warriors, they speak of their prowess in nightly battles..."

Another one of those heavily armored guards chipped in, "The truth in those rumors are fleeting at best, we mustn't show our respects until they have proven their mettle underneath daylight's embrace."

With the necklace on me and Cooper, we were privy to their not so subtle conversation. While I had my visor positioned to the front, my eyes are secretly glaring at them as they continue their remarks regarding my team.

The grip on my weapon intensifies as the number of people increase, an unfortunate side effect of being in the Reception Chamber.

At the very least there are fifteen people within ten meters of us, inciting my military instincts to flare up. This many people is a serious threat.

I look to the rest of my men, sensing their shared sentiments about our surroundings. Nothing much we can do right now.

Deciding to put aside those thoughts, I direct my attention to Cooper, "Are you sure this Princess would have the time to meet us?" The tone of my voice should help convey my doubts.

He spends a few seconds in deep thought, "Should be, what you did during their war certainly helped earn their good side."

My voice then takes on a questioning tone, "That op was an excuse to get those drones out to assess their military capabilities. It wasn't even an official mission from what they've told us, how did this become public knowledge?"

I mentally replay the conversations of those guards, maintaining my suspicious outlook with careful eyes.

Cooper releases a sigh in response, "Their military doesn't have any concept of classified information, I'll chalk it up to eyewitnesses and rumors."

"That makes sense," Robert mutters to my left, marking his entry into the conversation.

"In any case, let's keep this down for now. We've got our assignment so we best focus on that instead." Cooper replies as his legs direct him to a particular individual.

"Understood sir, " I give a nod in response, ignoring the attention my men are receiving.

As Cooper talks with this world's equivalent of a receptionist, I let my eyes wander, admiring the smooth designs favored by this faction.

The curvaceous architecture of this room, and by extension the palace, was a clear reflection of this nation's culture. It made it unique in the broad sense of the word.

A building is influenced by the society of those who built it.

There is a firm truth in that saying, Chinese culture was very different from the American way of life. And that was expressed through their more traditional buildings.

This concept applies here to a greater extent, there were even stark differences in the way these people conduct themselves.

It is then I realize what we're up against. All that remained in my mind at this point, was how oddly strange the emblem of this faction is.

There was one displayed in a prideful fashion, it radiates a powerful glint underneath the sun's humid glare, visible through an open balcony. That emblem was adorned to the top of a massive spire, and it looked right at home surrounded by the clear blue sky.

There is still much we don't know about this nation, or how they would react to the anomaly that acted as humanity's only gateway into their world. It was only a matter of time before their ground detachment reaches the mountains surrounding Tartarus, and discover the Rift.

Unbeknownst to my thoughts which are caught up in a vicious storm, a feminine voice takes a shot at my senses. It was soft and composed, but it had a melodic charm to it, serving to grind the mental imagery to a halt.

As an appropriate response, I train my eyes on the source of the sound. It is a young woman, but sparking in her eyes is a maturity well beyond her age. The soft glare, as well as that dignified posture speaks highly of her upbringing, solidifying my first impression of her.

This noble lady is clad in a highly decorative but modest red dress, with white trimmings patterning the entire thing. The design is an unknown to me, but I can easily tell this type of clothing isn't cheap by any means.

I put the pieces together, eventually coming up with the most logical answer.

This must be the Princess. A significant authoritarian figure, she was flanked by four guards on each side. Each of them carried a silvery staff, at their crystalline tips is a faint pulsating blue.

These people as armed, but rightfully so. My men watch on as Cooper relays our mission objective to this Princess. My eyes did the same, but with a small glint of confusion.

I still don't see a valid reason for meeting up with the Princess.

From a logical standpoint, contact should have been made with a military representative, and not a civilian like her. The researchers were attacked by their soldiers. My frown deepens as the feeling of confusion burrows under my skin.

Nonetheless, I keep in line with my team's objective. Through the next several minutes, I maintain my glare at the guards as they did the same.

Their eyes are hidden beneath the slits of their helmet, yet their curiosity remains evident. The tension between us isn't hostile, but it certainly wasn't friendly by any means.

"Very well, I shall make use of my authority to fulfill your request." The Princess finally concludes the conversation, Cooper responding with a curt nod.

"Thank you," he immediately turns toward my men, "you guys will be hitching a ride on one of their aerial mounts." That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

"Already aware sir, I've been listening in," I reply, not letting my cold persona break. At the corner of my eye, I notice the Princess giving me a rundown of my armor.

I was practically indistinguishable from the rest of my men aside from the small US flag on the right side of my helmet to denote my nationality. So for her to glare at my form for an extended period, it was something that brought up a slight tinge of suspicion.

That thought is soon pushed aside as she turns away, having finished her apparent investigation of my armor. Cooper keeps up with her sudden strides in a professional manner befitting of a representative from the United Nations.

We follow behind him, our counterparts did the same with their Princess. As a loose formation, we all maintain the ambient silence, allowing only our footsteps to punctuate that silence.

I spare a glance at the ceiling, wondering to myself what comes next.

======
-Drossal, Planning Chamber.

This terrible war still robs the lives of the many, such is the nature of battle itself. Yet there is a gleaming hope that it could be brought to a swift end. With each passing day as Lord General, my legacy in this war grows, but so does the blood that unwittingly stains my hands.

No matter how impeccable my strategies are, they still come at the cost of lives. I have long since come to accept these losses like I do leaves falling from a tree. A droplet of sorrow echoes across the living world upon each death, but in a conflict like this, the droplet was more akin to a cascade of despair.

The fallen shall never live to see an era of peace emerge from this chaos, but they will rest easy knowing the end of this war is soon to be within our grasp. The Euralian army has crushed the resolve of our foes with the strength of our formidable weapons. At the forefront of this righteous warpath lies the strongest of my warriors.

The greatest pride of the Kingdom, the order of the Black Hand. In times of peace they are but the unflinching hand. But should the shadows of war loom over the horizon, they become the indomitable fist of our sacred nation.

Their fury is second to none, and they have proven yet again why the Order is to be feared in battle. These reports from my commanders are filled with nothing but praise for their actions, however vicious it may be to our Yhunian enemies.

"The path of justice, carved through violence," A Silverwing flight leader comments, seeking clarity as she turns to me, "that is the creed the Black Hand live by is it not?"

With my eyes still reading these reports, I give the Flight leader my reply, "It is a lifelong oath, sworn by every knight and mage within the Order. But their loyalty to the Kingdom is to be respected, why such an inquiry?" Curiosity takes root as I shift my eyes up, meeting the uncertain expression of the veteran Silverwing Rider.

"I have flown across the battlefields of blood and struggles, and have seen the actions committed by the Black Hand. Yhunia is our enemy yes, but I must condemn our warriors for their.... violent ways, they do not adhere to our ancient code for battles written by the first Queen," She confidently voices her thoughts, remaining steadfast in tone.

The code for battles, honor and respect to the opponent. Such things are almost impossible to uphold in war, those who think otherwise are simply naive.

I speak out, deciding to entertain this blossoming argument, if only to pass the time, "Forsaking the code is a sacrifice that must be made if we are to continue the decisive push. The previous battles would have been longer otherwise. The ideals of the past have no place in times like this.

"The ends justify their brutal actions, that is the price these warriors are willing to pay for a swifter end to this war." While I do not disagree with her words, I will defend the actions of my best troops.

A cold silence envelops the room in the wake of my response, contrasting quite greatly with the prideful expressions of my commanders. They respectfully hold their tongues, instinctively knowing I have more to say. We have all grown closer as a result of this war, I cannot deny that.

With her opinion seemingly casted aside, the Flight Leader solemnly nods with a defeated look, shifting her helmet to better hide her eyes in the shadows.

"No disrespect intended Lord General, but I must stand against your opinion." The slight wavering of her tone speaks well of her unease. There are not many willing to speak out against me, either on tactics or arguments. I internally commend her audacity with a glint of surprise.

The unease on her posture grows, as if expecting to be reprimanded for her actions. It is best I cast her misplaced worries aside. "We may have differing views. But I do understand why you are to say such things." A gentle tone is used as I peer into her helmet, finding the eyes within the shadows.

A few tense moments pass before I am rewarded with a nod of acknowledgement, "I suppose that concludes our talk?"

I shift my eyes back to these reports strewn on the table, "I believe so..."

"Then I shall take my leave now," she crosses her hand over her chest as a parting sign of respect.

"Once your riders are well rested, I expect a report about the enemy's movements, it is sorely needed before the arrival of evening." I added, sparing a brief glance up.

The Flight Leader has already made the move to depart the Planning Chamber, but I place my faith upon her ears to heed my request. As she crosses the door, the normal bickering between my fellow commanders returned.

Back to the pressing matters of war I go, or so I thought. Heavy footsteps ring out from beyond the door, drawing the eyes of the more attentive commanders.

A person rushes through the entrance, caring not for subtlety or patience. Heavily clad in the most pristine of armor, is an honorable member of the Royal Guard.

With hands locked behind his back, the Paledorian Guard speaks, "I bring pressing news from Princess Luculia herself."

That voice, I heard of it often. The cold stoic disregarding tone, one that speaks highly of an unflinching soul.

"You are one of the guards posted to defend the Princess' quarters are you not?"

"I am, the Princess has sent me to inform you at once about the return of the Iceborn soldiers."

"And where is Luculia as of this moment?" I glare at the guard, who betrays not an expression.

"Meeting them under the entourage of eight of the palace's best guards. I assure you, she is in safe hands. I would not be here had I thought otherwise."

I contemplate about the unexpected news, standing up from the seat with a faint surge of urgency coursing through my legs.

"Word has it that these people specifically requested her presence, for reasons I have yet to comprehend," the guard continues on, taking the silence as the cue.

"Could they be perhaps charmed by the youngest Princess?" an intrigued expression rides across the face of the Archmage commander, "only the blind could ignore her beauty."

"What do you think Lord General, could that be their aim?"

"You clearly have not met these warriors in person. One would have a better chance charming a rock then they would these folk," I reply with a hint of amusement at my trusted friend, matters of war and tactics drifting away from my thoughts.

"No measure of beauty can sway them. They are as I would like to call them, immune to a siren's whisper." It is clear they have returned from their secretive home within the Fredgel Alps for an unknown purpose, and not for Princess Luculia as the Archmage has wrongfully stated.

Their sworn oath to uphold secrecy amongst their own kind is particularly concerning. In regards to these people, the more I see the more I realize how much remains hidden. They dare not even mention once about the portal that brought them to our existence.

What is there to hide about the frozen world they come from, if the words of my Yhunian prisoners are to be believed. The matters regarding these people make it clear my presence might be needed.

And so with a slight tinge of regret I leave the chamber, placing trust in my commanders to finalize the strategies that will be chosen for the battles of tomorrow and beyond.

Yet another reason to see this war to the end. To focus on the haunting mysteries these people are undoubtedly weaving onto this world.

======

-Drosal, Palace.
-Unspecified Room.

The passage of time went by swiftly, thanks to discussions with the Princess being coated in an undertone of urgency. I keep tabs on every word being exchanged, storing anything of note from the conversation for possible usage later.

Cooper was exceptionally well versed in his diplomatic approach, that I gotta admit. He applies just the right amount of force through his words, backing off once in a while for the Princess to interject her thoughts. The result was the Princess understanding exactly what we wanted in a span of less than ten minutes, including the reason and scope of our request.

The efficiency has to be commended, but now is not the time. The notion of retrieving the remains of the UN explorers still is the focus of my thoughts.

These men are officially classified as Missing In Action, but I know better than to believe that.

Their remains should be out there.... somewhere in the forest. The idiots on both sides of the conflict won't even attempt to bury the dead of their enemies.

After thinking about the possible outcomes if I were to interrupt, I decide to take the initiative, "Permission to speak?" The words aren't directed to a specific person, and for that reason I attracted the attention of everyone in the room, including the guards stationed on the opposite side of this room.

I focus my head on the Princess' general direction, using body language to fish out a response. She eventually recognizes the cue, pausing for a moment before giving her reply, "You may, what questions dwell in that dark mind of yours?" She seems genuinely relaxed, traces of curiosity coating her expressive face.

"More like a request, to be specific.." I correct the Princess, taking a firm step forward.

"Your people ultimately answer to you and the rest of your family, this authority should also apply to the army. Is that correct?"

My action riles up suspicion amongst her guards as the Princess gives her answer, "That is case for sure, what are your intentions warrior?"

"I want to skip the pleasantries right away, I'm aware that your culture places a high emphasis on tradition, but we do not share that sentiment."

Without giving her a chance to respond, I continue the assault of words. "Daniel Cooper can stay behind as a guest for that upcoming festival as intended, but my men need to fulfill our request as soon as possible. Please make the arrangements and get us a guide and transport to our destination."

"Right now?" As strange as the language necklace is, I find comfort in knowing all of my words are accurately translated.

I give her a cold tone, devoid of any emotion, "Yes, right now."

"The place you seek is still a war zone, is duty that precious that you would risk your life for it?"

I get the feeling she doesn't know much about this way of life, if any at all. I'll have to give her a short insight into this mindset.

The passion starts off strong in my voice, "It's everything to me, much like how you would risk anything for the one you love. That duty is my reason for living." I end the statement with a nod, subtly thanking the Princess for her attention.

Even if she doesn't fully agree, she has to at least respect it.

She goes into deep thought, placing a hand to her temple. While this was going on I keep my optimism from showing, however weak that may be.

I had a duty to fulfill when I was sent to Cygnus, the same went for my team. We all are under the same boat. Back then humanity knew so little about this world and its people, the knowledge we now have was protected by a thick curtain of hidden dangers.

Four certified researchers died trying to remove that veil, they were part of the first step and they payed dearly for it. Richard and Williams were the only survivors of that fatal step. Logic failed to steer their ill-fated team away from what was possibly a dangerous route.

But having said that, I will never blame them for being tempted into the unknown. It's in our inquisitive nature as a species to go where no one has gone before.

Now it's my job to bring the casualties back. As a man who prides himself in getting things done, I will stop at nothing to ensure a mission's successful conclusion. This potent mix of determination, commitment and sense of duty to my career is what keeps me going as the days pass by.

That is the simple yet overwhelming truth of my life. It was like a reassuring warmth, always coursing through my veins.

I doubt the Princess will ever understand this mindset, even as she agrees with that firm expression tugging on her face, "Very well, prepare your weapons and follow me, I suppose this will suffice as thanks for your help in our war." She stands up, dignified in her manner of movement. Her guards react accordingly, moving to a defensive position around her.

"But first," she pauses, getting the tension colder with her glare, "I will not hold myself responsible should you fall in battle to our enemies, chaos awaits you beyond the safety of Drossal."

I give a brief remark at her words, "Noted." This lack of faith in our combat capabilities is a good sign they don't know much of how we fight.

With everything concluded on my end, the tempo of the conversation swings back to Cooper, who finalizes the details of my request. Eventually, the time comes to part ways with our UN Ambassador.

"Good luck sir," I lower my voice to a whisper, "...remember to use the camera on those glasses. I'm sure In-Ops would appreciate any additional Intel you can find."

It's a big risk leaving Cooper alone, but I trust these people to be honorable hosts.

Following the lead of the Princess, my fireteam climbs up a long flight of stairs, passing under the gleaming archways that supported the ceiling. At the end of the stairs is a large open platform, surrounded by the sky on all sides with no signs of a safety railing.

A calm breeze tickles at my senses as I face the horizon. The open stretch of air did wonders to add a touch of serenity to the atmosphere. It was quite a view, innumerable buildings can be seen as I peer carefully over the edge.

"I have entrusted my best seeker to your command," a voice says, getting my attention away from the platform's edge.

A loud shrill blankets the air as a creature comes into view, having entered my vision as it soared above the platform's opposite side. It briefly circles overhead with a predatory glint, before landing gracefully with a final flap of its massive wings.

"Jesus Christ," Robert mildly exclaims, craning his head up. I was in no position to even add a remark, having evidently realized this must be the transport the Princess was talking about.

It was one of those larger aerial reptiles, three times larger than a banshee in length and double its wingspan. Intel has not given this particular species a name yet due to their exceptionally rare appearance in drone recon footage.

Its sudden entry causes some dread to pool in my gut. The rest of my team probably felt the same, possibly viewing the massive creature as a threat.

That is until we spot a rider at its back, apparently unarmed except for the small glint of a knife neatly secured to the waist section. The smooth curves of the armor gave away the rider's gender almost immediately.

"Is she our guide?" I inquired, directing the question at the Princess. She apparently was expecting that, having already cooked up an answer.

"Myandra Ludenvein, she indeed is your guide. You will find her skills as a seeker second to none."

"How will she assist us in finding our missing companions? I don't know what a seeker does." I can't bring myself to believe her words without further clarification.

"Life essence, it resides in all things. Even your own kind, though it has a very different feel to our own, it is one that is empty of magic. Such differences cannot be put into words. Only the gifted have the blessings to sense it," the Princess answers, looking into her own hands in reflection.

"I too have this gift, it is how I was able to sense the goodwill within your hearts," she continues on, stopping her eyes on each of my men, than finally to me,"...all of you."

"In death, the life essence of a person lingers on. I believe time is still on your side for now. So waste not a moment and take to the skies on the back of this Broadwing."

"I think we can trust our guide," Douglas steps toward the creature, now identified as a Broadwing, "step on it guys hurry the hell up."

"Alright then," I drive my legs forward, each step bringing me closer to the broadwing and its rider Myandra. Hopefully she kept that thing well fed, the mission will probably take two days tops. It would be quite saddening to end up in the jaws of an animal that doesn't exist back on Earth.

I climb up the riding gear, sending our guide a greeting, "Nice to meet you, Myandra Ludenvein." She spares a brief glance back, still lovingly caressing the head of her mount.

"Dark metal armor, interesting. I have never seen anything like it. Would you grace me with the name you go by?"

"Jerome Simmons." Myandra seems perplexed at that, though I can't be certain with her features covered.

"Odd name, but perhaps that is fitting for such an odd looking warrior like yourself." I give a curt nod in response, not offended in the slightest.

"Jerome, I'll tell our pilots to take off now." Robert informs me, attention trained on his communications gear.

"Go for it."

I hold on tight to both my weapon and safety handle as the broadwing flattens its wings in preparation to take off. Moments before that inevitable lift off, I send a look to the Princess and her guards as they did the same.

The Princess is a good person. No words were expressed during this last fleeting moment as our eyes met one final time, but I did send a grateful nod at her as thanks.

The broadwing takes a leap, and I turn my head back to the front without regret. With newfound excitement entering my thoughts, I stare up at the approaching sky as the wind pushes against my visor. Who would have thought I'd find myself in this moment.

"Desert team leader, please confirm that your team is on top the unidentified creature ninety meters to our left." My radio cuts in after a minute, the words inciting my eyes to spare a glance to the right.

Matching the speed and vector of the broadwing, is the reassuring form of a V-280 Valor. A prime example of human technological sophistication in this world. Carried within her cargo bay are four empty coffins, in the likely event we ever manage to recover the remains of Expedition Six.

"Affirmative, my team's on-board," I reply.

"Understood, will mark the target as friendly." The transmission ends and I turn my attention elsewhere.

"We're heading into the Red Zone, CSA still has a few drones buzzing around there, but besides that we're on our own," I remind my men, firmly with a strict tone. They each voice out their acknowledgements, having slight variations in their words.

Myandra kept silent, but I can tell she is listening in. She will only understand my words however due to the necklace I wore, but her curiosity remains highly visible to my trained eye.

Aside from that observation, everything was peaceful. The broadwing slices through the air in a manner that could be described as majestic. This manner of flight contrasted greatly with the Valor as it pushes on with its twin rotors, both her engines constantly filling the sky with a soft drone.

But despite that, they are in this together. Sharing a singular purpose that transcends their differences.

===End===

Let me experience life once more, as I plunge into the rolling meadows.

Where the wind blows a calming breeze, and the sun beams its warm gaze.

I look upon nature's creations, always a wonder to behold. Remembering to savour life's greatest moments, before I leave this world.

Remember me not by my mistakes, but for the deeds I have achieved. And do not forever grieve, for life is only fleeting.

-Princess Luculia, youngest daughter of her majesty Queen Ayleth.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26 0 23
Altmis, the top gaming company, recently develops a new way to game. By tapping into the unused portion of one's brain, they are able to immerse the...
21.8K 994 30
In 2048, the United States was moving toward a second frontier era, a second Manifest Destiny across the solar system. Then, one day, thanks to a str...
12.7K 1K 41
Obsession is the height of passion, but what does one do when they find themselves enthralled with their enemy. Talamayas Sol loses his mother when h...
493 98 17
To victory, we march, breaking oppression's chain, Till the dawn of shadows heralds our reign. **** Akeshia used to be a place where mages, hunters...