The Last of Us

By MidnightRage

The Last of Us is a story about a group of apocalypse survivors that band together not only to stay alive, bu... More

The Last of Us
Chapter 2: Knowledge is Dangerous
Chapter 3: Outbreak
Chapter 4: Sometimes Death is a Better Option
Chapter 6: This is the backup?
Chapter 7: Trust is Hard to Come By
Chapter 8: A Loss of Humanity
Chapter 9: Regrets May Somtimes be the End of Us
Chapter 10: Emotions are Overrated
Chapter 11: Merry Christmas
Chapter 12: It Didn't Last Long
Chapter 13: Light at The End of The Tunnel
Chapter 14: We're Not Alone

Chapter 5: I Owe You One

172 6 0
By MidnightRage

I've only heard the sound of a car crash once, and it was terrible. The tires screeching and the sound of the metal being distorted, mangled and torn apart by the impact made me cringe. Even the sound of the tiny shards of glass tapping against the road gave me the same feeling of nails scratching against a chalk board.

As I opened my eyes one last time, to take in the scene that seemed to have been taken right out of a horror movie, I watched as the large and clunky old truck came roaring and crashing into the base of the tree. The back door of the trunk caved in and the back window collapsed as it took out about 5 goons and then smacked into the tree. The tree shook violently and threatened to toss me out.

The powder white snow that sat on the large branches of the tree now fell softly down onto the roof of the truck and onto the bloodied undead flesh of those goons that laid under the terrific weight of the truck. I tucked the pitol into my belt and climbed down into the now opened trunk of the car. I crawled in safely and Samantha who sat in the passenger's seat turned around towards me. "Next time you want to off yourself, just do it. Dont wait and give my dad the chance to feel sorry for you and get all generous. You could've gotten us killed." She blurted out angrily. "I'm sorry." I said flatly, still trying to pull my wits together.

I turned away from her in shame, and the car began to move foward again, The goons continued in pursuit of us, but their slow paced limps had no shot at catching up to us. I looked behind the tree and saw that I had left the duffle bag behind. I felt along my back and noticed all I had managed to get away with was my camping back pack. I told myself that it was better than not getting away with anything. I clutched the seats behind me to make sure I didnt fall out of the trunk which was wide open after the crash.

Before we reached the paved road, the snow kept us from moving the truck quickly which gave me a chance to get a closer look at a horrific scene. The goon that had taken the front of the force of the crash was split in half completly. The spinal cord, along with it's intestines we're displayed across the snow as it's upper half continued to crawl after us, relentlessly as it left it's lower half behind.

I felt badly about calling this particular goon and "it" but at this point, I couldn't tell if this was male or female. It just looked like a gory mess, something out of movie or comic book, or anything that wasnt part of my reality until today. Even though I couldn't bare to look anymore, and I was on the brink of hurling, I couldn't keep my eyes away. It was as if I was almost hoping a director would call cut, and these goons would stand up straight and wipe their make up off.

Almost as if an angel came to quickly pry me away from the dangerous scene, Linda called me again. "Bobby, don't you dare do what I think you're going to do." She screamed into the phone. "Don't worry, a couple of friends helped me out. We're actually on our way into the mountains now. Where are you?" I asked. "I'm almost there, we're looking for a good cavern in the mountain to stay in. Actually we just found one now, its right off the road, i'll leave a pink ribbon on the tree outside so you know where we are." she replied. "Okay, i'll see you soon. Be safe." I said, "you too." and then she hung up.

"Guys, my friend and her parents found a hiding place up in the mountains, we can stay with them" I said outloud to Jack and Samantha. "Do you know where, kid?" Jack answered me. "Just follow the highway, she left a sign for us." I told him. "She? Your girlfriend?" Sam said, sounding slightly alarmed. "No, shes just a friend." I answered in a confused tone. "Oh... Okay whatever." Sam answered bluntly.

I unzipped my back pack and checked inside, forgetting what I had backed in here. It was mostly clothing, and other necessities like dried and canned food. Since it wasn't enough to sustain us for very long, I hoped desperately that Linda and her parents had brought along more supplies than we did.

The truck stayed cold the entire time because the trunk was wide open. I looked around for anything of use. I found some coins and lint, and I sighed. But then out of the corner of my eye, I saw something metallic and reached over to grab it. I pulled up a tin box that was slightly rusted at the lock.

I easily broke off the rusted lock and pried it open. Inside was a colt .45 revolver. I knew this instantly because it was just like my father's. I held back the tears that threatened to invade my eyes and quickly shoved the gun into my bag. It was fully loaded, but had no extra ammo in the tin box. I tossed the box aside and proceeded to shut my eyes and take a short nap.

I felt myself being shaken, and I awoke to see Samantha's face only inches from mine. My hands moved forward only to find that she was straddling my lap. I opened my eyes wider and cleared my throat awkwardly, she blushed slightly, "We're here." she said and then got off of me and got out of the car. "How do you know?" I said to her and followed her out of the car. She pointed towards the left of the truck and I saw Linda's father speaking with Jack.

I was relieved to find out that we had met up quickly and easily, with no interruptions or altercations with any goons. "BOBBY!" Linda said loudly as she skipped over to me and hugged me tightly. I hugged her back and she felt so soft and warm. I began to close my eyes and hold the hug when I saw Samantha walk by making a disgusted look towards Linda. I frowned and watched Sam walk into the small cavern that Linda's family had found.

Jack and Linda's father moved their cars into the cavern and I lugged my bag inside as I walked with Linda. "So thats Jack, but who is that girl? Does she go to our school?" Linda asked me. "I'm not sure, her name is Samantha, shes Jack's daughter." I answered her. "Is she your girlfriend?" Linda asked innocently. "No, why?" I asked back and flushed a deep shade of red. "Well, she was sitting on you in the car and it looked pretty... whats the word? ... frisky?" Linda said back and looked down at the ground awkwardly. "No, no. I don't know why she was on my lap but I was sleeping." I told her the truth, though it seemed like a stupid lie. "Right, well okay. Come inside it's getting cold."

I sighed deeply, I knew this wasn't the time to be trying to woo a girl, but either way I wasn't doing a very good job. The sun set and soon our safe haven was completely dark, aside from the small fire we had built in the middle behind the cars to protect it from the wind. We had set up a couple of tents and sleeping bags so everyone had their own space to sleep.

I sat up on top of my sleeping bag, unable to fall asleep. I watched as Linda finally fell asleep in hers, and she looked so peaceful. I realized that everyone was asleep except for me but I still couldn't bring myself to shut my eyes. I saw Samantha sit up in her tent, through the shadows that the fire was making through the thin fabric of the tent. "Sam, come here." I whispered quietly and she nodded and tip toed her way to me. "What?" she seemed annoyed. "Whats your deal? You were so angry with me this morning, then you're on top of me in the car, and then we get here and I see linda and you're mad again." I said in an agitated whisper.

"Ugh, boys are so stupid." she said out loud to herself. "What?" I said unsure, and before I could say something else she climbed onto my lap and pressed her lips to mine. I was taken by surprise and fell back onto my arms, but she pressed on, laying me back completely and tugging on the ends of my hair lightly that fell around my shoulders and back. My hands, almost instinctively, wrapped her waist as I pulled her closer. Her tongue swirled around my mouth as I gripped her thighs and wrapped them around my waist. She let out a low moan, but it was enough to wake me up from this slight trance I had gone into and I pulled away.

"Sam, what are you doing?" I asked her in a low voice. "Shut up" she answered and magnetized our lips together again. "Wait, Sam." I mumbled but couldnt resist her heated body as It pressed against mine. She pulled my shirt off and ran her fingers along my chest and abdomen. "Sam, we cant do this right now." I said a little awkwardly, though the bulge in my pants told her otherwise. "Why? I know you want me." she said and she moved side to side on my crotch.

I drew the pistol from the back of my belt loop, and I raised it this time with a hand as steady as stone. Her eyes widened with horror and she ducked quickly, I let off the final shot that was left in the chamber and it exploded the skull of a goon that had found its way into the cavern. I had only noticed it moments before I drew my gun. The brain matter and bits of skull splattered across the tents, and everyone came rushing out to see what was going on. Jack had his rifle out, as did Linda's father. Samantha sat on the ground next to me, completely bewildered as to what had just happened.

She leaned towards me and hugged me deeply and tightly. I was surprised by this action, given that she didn't show much affection when others were around, at least compared to the amount that she gave me when others were sleeping. Jack came over to us and helped Sam and I up from the ground. "You're a fucking life saver, kid. " Jack said and I smiled at him.

"Are you okay?" Linda came over to us and Sam and I both nodded. "Holy crap that was close. How did you know it was there?" she asked me. "I couldn't sleep, lucky me huh?" I said. "I'll say." she said and then went back to her mother's side. "Bobby, I owe you one." Sam said to me as she turned towards me. I pulled my shirt back on and smiled at her. "Well, we can just call it even now, deal?" She nodded and smiled at me.

She walked back to her Father's tent and before she went in, she turned back and winked at me. I shook my head, pretending to not have seen that. I thought about what had just almost happened between Samantha and I, and I chuckled at how many times I day dreamed about that happening between Linda and I. I was finally able to close my eyes and fall asleep, But I knew we wouldn't be able to stay long so I didn't make myself comfortable.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

566 63 23
The story of 4 best friends surviving the end of the world. They survive through great things that regular teenagers would die doing. Through the ent...
25 0 12
This is a story of survival in a post-apocalyptic world, where a group of diverse survivors band together to overcome numerous obstacles and threats...
The Undead Dead By Donny

Science Fiction

394 27 32
In the wake of the zombie apocalypse, survivors hold on to the hope of humanity by banding together to wage a fight for there own survival. It's the...
54 2 1
This started out as a shared iCloud note with my friends So there will be grammatical errors etc. The story is about a group of survivors ending up t...