Chapter 14: We're Not Alone

A faint beeping noise woke me up the following morning. It was my watch. I groaned and sat up, then looked down at my wrist. 9 am. I fell back onto the pillow and put an arm over my eyes, begging for just a few more minutes of sleep. I reached my arm over and felt nothing. My eyes shot open immediately as I jumped out of bed and reached for my gun that sat on the night table to my right.

"Linda?!" I said loudly, scanning over the room with my eyes peeled, searching for her. "Yeah?" I heard her answer in a gentle tone. I relaxed ever so slightly as I peered into the bathroom to find her standing at the mirror brushing her hair, wearing nothing but one of my t shirts, just big enough to cover her bottom. "Relax. I just wanted to do my hair. I was kinda hoping there would be some make-up in here too, but I guess we aren't that lucky." She mumbled, absently.

"Make-up? Jesus. Linda can you just tell me when you're leaving my sight, I freaked out." I said to her in an agitated voice. She smiled at me through the mirror and licked her lips. Only then did I have the sense to look down and realize that I was still completely naked. I looked back up at her and my cheeks flushed. "Mm mm mm" she said as she turned towards me with her bottom lip between her teeth.

I made an attempt to ignore her as I turned towards our bag to get some clothes for myself, but she had already pounced on me from behind. She wrestled me down to the floor, the shag carpet was surprisingly comfortable. "Oh no you don't!" She teased as she finally forced me down onto my back, as she straddled my waist. I gripped her hips tightly and held her as she sat on me, smiling down with her hands on my chest. I smiled up at her as she reached down and kissed me gently. Her pink lips tasted sweet, indicating to me that she must have hit up our candy stash while I was still asleep.

I was opening my mouth to scold her about that, and she was lifting her shirt off when we both heard what sounded like tires screeching on asphalt. We both froze as she let her shirt fall back down over her slender body. I didn't even release my grip on her waist to make sure I didn't make any noise. We both stayed exactly as we were, perfectly still and not make a single noise except for the faint noise of our breathing. I didn't want to risk looking out the window, so I waited for another sound from what must have been a car traveling by. Several minutes had passed, then finally we heard a car door slamming shut, and the soft crunch of boots walking through softly packed snow.

This was the alarm we were waiting for, and Linda was already on it. She quickly got dressed and began to pack whatever supplies we had up here in the room with us. Most of our supplies were still in the car out back, but we weren't sure if we would get the chance to escape to it in time before we met face to face with the person or people that had just gotten out of the car. I got dressed a little slower than she did, but as soon as I finished pulling my boots on, I had my gun holstered and our camping bag over my back.

Finally after the room looked as empty as it had when we first entered it, we chanced a look out the window. Outside the sky was grey as far as the eye could see. A very light grey, indicating that it had snowed, and would continue to snow for the foreseeable future. The tree line in the distance looked magnificent with the tops of ever-green trees sticking out against the pale white of the untouched snow fall from last night. At the moment, only a few snow flakes were making their way towards the earth from the clouds, and that gave us a visibility advantage.

Directly below us, our car seemed in decent condition. Snow was packed over it, but it seemed so light and fluffy that it would be easy to remove it from the windshield. My eyes scanned around the car, and the building around the cars immediate vicinity to be sure that the people we had heard were no where near it. It was quiet again, Linda sensed it too as she drew her gun next to me. I wouldn't have been alarmed but she packed our shoulders in together which was an unconscious move she made whenever she was nervous or felt threatened.