Chapter 12: It Didn't Last Long

The sun came up and burst through the shades in the bedroom window. The sunlight shimmered across my eyes, forcing them open and then into a harsh squint. I yawned and rubbed my eyes until the bedroom we slept in came back into focus. Linda still laid on my chest and began to fuss as she woke. She sat up and stretched her arms out as I rolled out of bed and quickly dressed myself.

She smiled at me as she got out of bed and handed me my boots. I smiled back as I began to put them on. She sat on the bed right behind me and began to rub my back. "What are we gonna do today?" She asked me quietly as I closed my eyes and relaxed to her massage.

"Well there is a car out near her shed, if we can take that and drive it down the highway. There should be another rest stop a few miles away where we can scavenge for supplies and hopefully fill up on gas. Okay?" I had tried to think this through as much as possible, and this was the best plan I could come up with.

She nodded and wrapped her arms around my neck and turned my face towards her. She pressed her lips against mine and it took my breath away. I started to turn my body towards her as she continued to kiss me.

A knock on the door made both our heads snap up and stare at it. "Yes?" Linda called out as she pulled away and quickly dressed herself. There was no answer. I stood up, alarmed and called out louder. "Carla?"

I moved towards the door and Linda followed behind me. I pressed my ear to the door gently, "Carla?" Again there was no answer, but another soft knock on the door. I motioned to Linda to get our back pack and the guns. She grabbed the bag and kept one gun as she handed me the other.

"Ready?" I asked her as I slowly turned the door knob. She nodded and I swung the door open to find Carla standing outside. Her skin was paler than I had remembered it being last night.

The blood smeared across her shoulder where a gaping wound was shown gave me all the information I needed. I looked into her eyes and watched as they scanned over me slowly and deliberately. They were glazed over and showed no sign of her former self.

I was only beginning to raise my gun when another gun shot went off. The bullet pierced her cheek and went out through the back of her skull. Ultimately it turned her head into some what of a pink mist.

I was taken aback, and was still in shock to turn and see Linda's gun pointed out and smoking. I almost felt as though a big smile would spread across my face when I remembered that we weren't alone in the house yet, because something had to have bitten Carla.

I knew the gun shot could have been heard from miles around the echo amplifying woods, so stealth tactics weren't needed at this point. I kicked Carla's body to the side and barged into the kitchen with a full head of steam. Linda was close on my heels as we came upon a large man in the kitchen.

His first notable feature was his pearly white, almost milk colored skin on the top of his bald head. He wore a worn out plaid shirt, and overalls. His entire left arm seemed to have been severed off, or in this case bitten off. The goon lunged at us and I took a quick side step and fired off a round into the back of his head. He dropped to the floor as some would say "like a sack of potatoes."

Linda grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the front door of the house. As we ran back through the hall I noticed a set of keys laying on the counter. I quickly grabbed them on the way out, hoping they would open and turn the car on for us.

"Where's the car?" Linda asked frantically. She turned her head back and forth, in rapid motions trying to scan the densely wooded area for a way out. "Behind the house, come on." I replied and this time it was my turn to pull her along.

We rushed around the house, and made our way to the shed in the back where I had killed Carla's husband last night. Though I hate to call it killing, considering the fact that they were already dead. The small, rusted, navy blue sedan was parked directly next to the shed.