Barely Engaged (ONC 2019)

By aulalei

Round 3 Long List for the Open Novella Contest Party planning doesn't have to be personal. If anyone knows th... More

Author's Note
The Dinner
The Crab Roll
The Meeting
The Confrontation
The Call
The Re-do
The Butcher
The Fairy Lights
The Set-Up
The Delivery Boy
The Move

The Breakfast

23 4 0
By aulalei

I wasn't sure if minutes passed, or seconds, but when I was manageable I lifted myself off of Will. I kept my hand in my face for a few moments.

"We need to take you to the hospital." When I didn't respond, Will continued, "You'll only last another fifteen minutes before you feel it again. Why didn't you tell Oliver you were allergic?"

I was still struggling to swallow when Will turned to Oliver, his brows furrowed and jaw tight, "And you didn't notice her avoid seafood throughout your entire relationship?" Yeah. Entire relationship in all of twenty four hours.

I glanced around, Abby, Madison, and James all stared at me- even a few strangers from other tables and some employees.

My fingernails itched the small warm bumps coming up on my neck. I frowned when Will grabbed my wrist, "Don't scratch." He stood, lifting me by my wrist. "I'll take her to the hospital."

Madison looked at Will, searching, "But I'm not done yet."

"I'll be right back- she just needs to go to the doctor."

"It's fine. I'll finish it later." She glanced at me and gave Will a tight smile.

The pressure in my chest didn't stop squeezing during their lover's quarrel. "Oliver'll take me." I coughed, turning to Oliver who already had his things in his hands. I could feel my skin burning up with every second that passed.

He nodded, grabbing my bag as well, "Let's go."

The drive to the hospital was fairly quick- all things considered. Oliver sped and never allowed a moment of silence, apologizing the whole ride there. He helped me through the emergency room, and spoke to the doctors for me. The doctors weren't too busy to take me in right away and give me some intravenous antihistamines and cortisone.

Oliver stayed with me while they ran the tests. I encouraged him to leave once the nurse told us I'd have to stay overnight, and he promised to be back in the morning.

*

I squinted at the caller ID on my phone- no name. "Hello?" My voice was raspy as I licked around my cotton mouth.

"Hey, it's Brandon." Bran-? Brandon! "Did I wake you up?"

"Yeah, but it's fine. What's up?" My voice was raspy, and I thanked heavens that it wasn't the first thing he questioned.

"I was wondering if I could take you out to brunch or something? My friend is a chef at a really great place downtown."

I coughed out a chuckle. "Unfortunately I already have reservations for my VIP breakfast at Baylor Medical Center at Uptown. I heard their grits are to die for." I smirked at my sarcasm.

"Isn't that a hospital?"

"Yeah, I've got VIP treatment too. They're bringing it up through room service. Granted, I couldn't get up anyway, but I'd still consider it special treatment."

"You're in the hospital? What happened?"

"Allergic reaction to shellfish."

"I remember. You threatened that you'd leave me if I  ordered the shrimp dish." He chuckled, "That's a relief, I thought I caused an aftershock on your body."

"Oh god. Three days later?" I laughed.

"You never know. So, are you allowed any visitors? I'd like to try this specialty breakfast your talking about."

"Sure. Room 405- but you're going to have to bring your own breakfast. Not sure if they give out lukewarm porridge to just anyone."

"Deal."

It took Brandon probably thirty minutes to get to me, and he didn't disappoint. He brought his own breakfast- pancakes, bacon, eggs, the works. He was even an angel when the nurse told me breakfast had stopped being served and if I wanted lunch I had to wait for noon. He split his breakfast in half for me, and I promised I'd buy him breakfast some other time.

"So what happened? Was it a martyr type of thing?" Brandon's lips turned up.

"No. Some guy gave me a crab roll." I frowned.

"You took a roll from a stranger?"

"He's not- let me explain." I explained the entire situation about having to pretend being Oliver's girlfriend to get a feel for Abby so James can propose. I told him how Will and I used to be best friends, but I didn't go into detail about our falling out, and I didn't mention how this job was impossible because I didn't believe in true love.

Well. Maybe that's not true. It is possible. I just have to figure out what will make Abby happy- and then this job won't be impossible.

Brandon was great- a good sport and a sweet guy- even when Oliver showed up.

"Hey." Oliver greeted, slowly entering the room, "I just thought I'd check up on you."

"Thanks. I'm doing better. The nurse is just charging my card and I should be out within the hour."

"I'm Brandon." Brandon stuck out his hand as Oliver neared us.

"I'm Oliver." Oliver nodded, giving a handshake.

"You're Oliver?" Brandon smiled.

"Yeah. I'm guessing she told you about my screw up?"

"Yeah. She's quick to snitch- I'd watch out for her." I rolled my eyes when Brandon shot me a wink.

"I just came by to see if you needed a ride home. I also have your painting in my car." Oliver shifted his weight from foot to foot, waiting for a dismissal.

"Yeah, actually, I better get going. I have to get to work." Brandon stood, giving me a smile and nodding to Oliver. "Feel better." He called, letting the door close softly behind him.

"I'm sorry."

"Please stop apologizing. You didn't know because I didn't tell you. I've honestly had dates worse than that, it's not a big deal." I shook my head.

"Worse than your date giving you a food you're allergic to?" He raised a brow.

"Worse than an honest mistake." I corrected.

"Let's hear it then." He tempted.

"There was one guy who even after I told him about my shellfish allergy he ordered lobster because he had a real hankering. And then he proceeded to try and kiss me after dropping me off."

"Geez." We both turned to the door as a nurse came in to detach the wires and release me.

*

"That's when I told her about the toilet paper on her shoe."

"Are you kidding me? You waited until you were in the middle of a crowd?"

Oliver laughed, swinging the beer bottles to his lips.

"I wouldn't go on a second date with you either." I laughed.

I glanced at Oliver's phone as it rang. I don't even know how long we'd been talking, but I did good in inviting him up after he dropped me off at my car. We had to know each other for Tuesday night at Abby's anyway.

Oliver picked up his phone, "What's up?" His eyes met mine. "Nothing much, just hanging out with Sam." He grinned at my dry look. It's Samantha.

"She's doing fine." My brows knit together as I narrowed my eyes. "It's Will. He wants to make sure you're alright."

My brows scrunched. "Tell him I'm fine."

Oliver moved the phone away from his ear and hit the mute button, "He wants to see you and make sure you're fine before he drops off Madison."

My face scrunched further- then I sighed. Will knew how severe my reactions got and I'd rather have Oliver here than face Will by myself- or at all. I shrugged.

"I'll send you my location." Oliver replied before hanging up. "They'll be here soon."

They. Right.

"What do you mean drop off Madison?"

"Drop off Madison at the airport. He took off this week to be here for Abby's proposal. He's crashing at James' place for now."

"They must be close for him to take a week off."

"Yeah. After he helped Abby's dad start his own landscaping company they became pretty close." I watched him as my mind wandered how close they might've gotten considering Will's rep.

"Will's in the landscaping business?"

"No. He's a business consultant- so taking off a week isn't probably a big deal for him. I thought you two were good friends?" Oliver raised a brow.

"Back in middle and high school." I replied, just as the apartment buzzer rang. I buzzed them up, and sat down again.

"You're pretty tense. You're not working, though."

"A whole other reason." I replied shortly before my mind flooded with thoughts of Abby.

The entire reason I went last night was to learn about Abby. I ran my hands over my face as I thought. What did I get? She bakes. She hosts. And James said she gardens. I need Pinterest.

A knock at the door came, and Oliver stood, "I'll get it."

I pinched the bridge of my nose before standing to greet them as they came in. Madison's eyes were glued to my paintings that framed the wall.

"This is beautiful." She breathed.

"Thanks. I did it a few years back." My eyes glanced over the oil painting, before meeting Will's.

"You painted this?" Madison asked, turning to me. I nodded and smiled.

"Hey. How are you doing?" Will asked quietly.

"Good." My jaw flexed as I resented the warm feelings on my body. We watched each other for a moment, before Madison turned to us, "Where's the bathroom?"

"Straight down the hall." I pointed her the way.

I watched Madison go, and Oliver clapped his hand over my shoulder, "So, now you can see for yourself that Sam's fine."

"Oliver." I stared at him.

"Fine. Samantha." He corrected and I nodded. He turned to Will, "Do you want a drink or something? Beer?"

I watched Oliver offer my beer to Will, and I didn't bother arguing. It would just make it seem like we weren't together.

"No, I've got to drive."

"Alright." Oliver shrugged, "So, what happened? You couldn't come up to see Sam alone?" He nodded towards the bathroom where Madison was.

"She wasn't sure if you were up here or if Sam was alone." Will's gaze remained on Oliver before glancing around. Madison didn't have to worry though. Nothing had happened between Will and I, much to his wishes.

Madison returned from the bathroom, glancing at my paintings again. "Well, we better get going. It's good to see you're doing better." She smiled, her eyes telling Will to say bye.

Oliver and I walked them to the door. "Thanks for stopping by. Have a safe flight."

I sighed once they left.

"So what was that about?"

"What?"

"What's up with you and Will? You two have some weird energy like you were a thing."

"We weren't."

"Are you sure?" Oliver teased with a smile.

"Positive."

We walked back to the couch as Oliver probed some more, "Are you sure you weren't in love?"

"Hm." I scoffed, "I don't believe in love."

"Yes you do. You've got to."

I watched him with a raised brow.

"Don't you love your parents? Or are you saying your parents don't love you?"

"That's not what I meant. I mean romantic love." I clarified.

"I still don't think that's what you mean."

"My parents divorced after fifteen years of marriage. Not because anyone cheated- but because they just fell out of love." Oliver didn't say anything so I continued, "If I were to believe in romantic unconditional love, I'd believe it's not something you could fall into or be in- because that mean there's an out. And everything everyone's selling is a forever type of love."

"You haven't had any boyfriends?"

"Nope. Not a single one. My life spiraled downward when I found out my parents were divorcing. So when I moved out on my own I made my own rules. I call it the two-thirds rule."

"What is it?" Oliver kicked up his feet, and cross his ankles on my coffee table.

"I only go on two real dates with a guy or three bar dates. I call it quits after that because that's usually the define the relationship line for the guys I go for. Everything gets serious after the third real date."

"Real date?"

"Dinner at restaurants and things like that."

"What about Brandon? He's got to be close to that two-thirds rule to have visited you in the hospital."

"One date actually- and I'm counting the breakfast he shared with me as half of a date."

Oliver watched me for a while as we sunk into the couch. His face turned serious. "Why were you hired to help James propose then?"

"Everyone else was booked, and I just got off of a birthday party."

He watched me seriously, "This is a big deal for Jake."

"I know, and I'm good at my job so I'm not going to give him a plan until I know it's going to make her happy."

Oliver watched me skeptically.

"I'm not a cynic. I like making people happy, that's why I got into this business in the first place."

"Why did you take the job?"

"It's more like I was handed the job. There's a promotion on the line." I could see it in his face. I was making this situation worse just by speaking. "Look, Oliver. You want the truth? I got into event planning because after my parents divorced birthdays were the only time I'd get them both back. No fighting, no arguments, everyone gathered together because of me. The only day I could unite my parents like that was my birthday." 

I took a deep breath, "I love that feeling. Everyone celebrating one thing. If you're worried I'm going to screw this up because I don't believe in true love, I'm not. My goal is to make Abby happy and that's what James came to us for."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.2K 625 29
Scarlett Jones moved to the city for a fresh start and got herself a successful boyfriend in the process. But why does it seem like something is miss...
4.5K 978 56
|Updates every Tuesdays| "Come with me." I laugh and wipe the beads of sweat off my forehead. "And why would you think I'd go anywhere with you?" I...
3K 478 22
When her parents die in an accident, 27-year-old party girl, Adelaide Becker, sets her sights on inheriting the family fortune. But when the will is...
368K 13.9K 46
Amelia was working in her dream job. Good job, good pay, and good boss! Then, something changes and life takes an unexpected turn. Welcome to the unp...