The Secret Manuscript (Comple...

By EdwardMullen

From the author of Prodigy and The Art of the Hustle comes the highly anticipated third novel from Edward Mul... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
A Special Note from the Author

Chapter Thirty-Three

5.7K 313 10
By EdwardMullen

Ben and Kyle waited until it was dark before they emerged from the storage shed where they had been hiding. Their foggy breath dissipated in the freezing air as they cautiously snuck through the backyards, retracing their steps until they eventually reached their house.  

"You see anything?" Kyle asked. 

"Nah, nothing, I think we're clear." 

Continuing past their house, they showed up at their neighbour's backdoor. Kyle gave a couple light knocks and then took a few steps back. Gladys answered promptly and opened the door with delight.  

"What are you two boys doing outside with just those flimsy sweaters? Please come inside before you two catch a cold." 

Ben and Kyle gratefully stepped inside. 

"Is there a problem with the front door?" Gladys asked. 

"It's a long story," Ben said through chattering teeth. 

"Let me fetch you boys some blankets, and put on a pot of tea. Are you hungry?" she asked. "I can heat up some leftovers."  

"That would be great, thanks." 

"What was all that commotion earlier? It sounded like someone setting off fireworks." 

"Actually they were gunshots," Ben said. 

"Gunshots?" she repeated. "Oh my, this neighbourhood just isn't what it used to be." 

"I think the neighbourhood is fine, Gladys. It wasn't gang related or anything like that. There were two men after us... well, after me." 

"Heavens, why were they after you?" 

"I'm not sure," Ben said. "Was Mr. Gringer involved with anything that would have two goons show up at his house?" 

"Charles? No, of course not. He was a kind man and as far as I know he wasn't involved with anything like that?" 

"Did he owe anyone any money or..." Ben stopped. 

"What is it?" Kyle asked. 

"Do you think those men were after his lotto winnings?" 

"I doubt it," Kyle responded. "If they thought you won the lottery, why would they want to kill you? It just doesn't make sense." 

"Whoever they were, it's a matter for the police," Gladys said as she got up to make a call. 

"Gladys," Ben called out. "I would prefer if you did not get the police involved. I... I just don't know if I can trust the police." 

"What on earth are you talking about? Of course you can trust the police." 

"The police are just people and people are corruptible. I think for now I'd like to just lay low for a while and figure out someplace safe we can go." 

"You boys are welcome to stay here as long as you like, that is if you don't mind sharing a bedroom with each other. There's a spare room upstairs, I'll put on some fresh linens and give you boys some towels." 

"Thank you, we really appreciate it." 

"If you need to do laundry, I can put a load on as well." 

Ben and Kyle stayed at the house and exchanged stories with their elderly neighbour until it was time for bed. She had lived a fascinating life and had a lot of wisdom to impart. To show their gratitude, they offered to do any chores that needed to be done. Eventually, Gladys showed the boys to their room and said a prayer with them. 

"Dear Lord, I ask you to bless these young boys in their journey through life. Please ensure they remain safe from the dangers of the world, strong when tested with temptation, and resilient when faced with adversity. Please remove the evil from within the hearts of anyone who wishes harm upon them. Thank you for blessing our lives and we hope in your grace you will continue to provide us with many more days to come. In Jesus's name we pray. Amen." 

"Amen." 

"Amen." 

Later that night when Gladys went to bed, the boys continued to stay up and talk in their room. 

"Do you think they're setting a trap for us?" Ben asked. "I bet they're waiting inside for us and the second we step through that door, they'll blow our heads off." 

"Who knows?" 

"That is of course if we entered through the front door." 

"What are you saying?" Kyle asked. 

"I'm saying that I need to get in the house, more specifically the secret room." 

"Let it go, bro. We don't want to take any unnecessary risks with these guys." 

"I need my manuscript and my wallet. Without them, I've got nothing." 

Kyle considered what Ben was saying for a moment. He realized they could not stay in Gladys's house forever. Ben had lots of money, which they could use to make a life somewhere else, but without a means to access it, it would not be of any help to them. 

"How do you suggest we get in?" Kyle asked. 

"I'm so glad you asked. Don't worry, I have a plan." 

Kyle followed Ben downstairs and into the kitchen. While trying to make as little noise as possible, Ben opened up several drawers until he found what he needed. Among the things he took were a multi-purpose tool, a flashlight, and a knife.  

"What are you doing?" Kyle whispered. "Put those back." 

"I will, I just need to borrow them for a bit," Ben said. 

"What's the knife for?" 

"Protection." 

"You're really going to bring a knife to a gun fight?" 

"Well, unless Gladys keeps a Glock next to the can opener, I think this is my best bet." 

Ben walked over to the back door and made sure it was unlocked before leading the way back upstairs. The next stop, oddly enough, was the bathroom. Just like in their house, the bathroom had a large window that could open wide enough to climb through. Getting from the bathroom window to the top of the house was a little scary, but definitely doable. Just below the bathroom window was a little ledge that conveniently wrapped around the side of the house. 

Ben lifted up the window and stuck his head outside. 

"It's just like ours," Ben confirmed.  

"So what are you waiting for?" Kyle asked. 

"I don't know, I was kind of hoping you'd want to go first." 

"No thanks, this was your idea so you should lead the way." 

"Fine," Ben said as he proceeded to climb out the window. With his bum resting on the window sill, his feet dangled two stories off the ground. He was still a little afraid of heights, but once again summoned the courage to momentarily set aside those fears. Once he found his footing, he completely exited the window. The crisp night air made his muscles tense up, but it was nothing too debilitating. He inched across the ledge slowly, making sure not to look down. Kyle watched him to see how it was done. When Ben was a good distance ahead, Kyle reluctantly followed after him.  

Kyle carefully climbed outside and shuffled along the side of the house in the direction of the backyard. Together they gripped the slopping roof for support until it was low enough to climb onto. With both hands planted firmly, Ben used his legs to pull himself on top of the roof. He was now laying belly down and had his head dangling over the edge, encouraging Kyle to continue. Kyle was close behind him and eventually climbed up as well.  

The ascent was steep, but Ben showed Kyle how to scale the roof by crouching low and walking up on all fours. Once at the top, they approached the crest and peered over. 

"Think you can make it across?" Kyle asked, being mindful not to speak too loudly. 

"I don't know, it's a pretty big gap," Ben said. "Should we roshambo to see who goes first?" 

"Man, I always lose those. Alright, whatever, let's do it." 

Silently, on top of the roof in the biting cold air Ben and Kyle played an important game of rock-paper-scissors. As usual Kyle lost. 

"Alright, move. I need to get a good run up." 

Kyle backed up all the way to the opposite end of the roof and stopped. He stared at the gap with an intense focus. After a few deep breaths, he felt prepared. At full speed, he sprinted past Ben and leapt off the edge. Once airborne, time seemed to slow down. His legs kicked in a manner that resembled riding an invisible bicycle. As the gap grew smaller, he knew he would make it. He hit the opposing roof with such velocity that he stumbled forward and tripped over himself. To brace for impact, he put his forearms down and skidded on his elbows for a bit before tumbling down the steep decline. He spread his arms and legs out to gain control. After some bumps and bruises, he stopped just before hurling over the edge.  

Ben watched on in horror. Whatever reservations he had before the jump were now amplified. Nevertheless, he had no choice. Following Kyle's example, he backed up to the far edge of the roof. He wanted to clear the distance, but did not want to overshoot it like Kyle had. After mumbling a few words of encouragement to himself, he took off and launched himself over the gap. In the middle of his jump, he realized he may have miscalculated. Ben undershot and hit the edge of the roof. The lower half of his body ploughed into side of the house creating a tremendous thud. His hands quickly clasped onto anything within reach that would prevent him from falling. He clamped down on the edge of the roof, but did not have the grip strength to sustain his bodyweight for long. His legs dangled precariously over the edge of the house, looking for a foothold. Just when he was about to lose his grip, Kyle grabbed him under the armpit and assisted him up.  

"Thanks, man," Ben said, taking a moment to regain his composure. 

"No problem," Kyle replied. 

Without wasting any more time, Ben and Kyle silently ascended the roof and got into position. Ben took out the flashlight and handed it to Kyle, while he used the multi-purpose tool to unscrew the chimney crown.  

"Can I get some light?" Ben asked. 

Kyle steadied the flashlight as Ben went to work. Fortunately, the bolts were already loose and came off with ease. The chimney crown was not heavy, but it was a bit awkward to manage with just one person. 

"Alright, I need you to help me with this thing," Ben said. "Can you grab the other side?" 

Together, they hoisted the rusted chimney crown from the top of the chimney and set it aside. Ben remained crouched to ensure it was stable and would not tumble down the roof. Kyle used the flashlight to look down the chimney chute. That's when he made an unexpected discovery.  

"Whoa, Ben, check this out," he said. "You're not going to believe this." 

Ben stood up and peered into the chimney. Attached to the inside of the chimney was a forty-foot rope coiled up. One end of the rope was connected to a steel ring, which was bolted into the brick. 

"What the heck. What are the odds?" 

"Based on the luck you're having, I'd say this fits right in." 

Ben unlatched the rope and gave it a few tugs. It was secure. He then tossed the loose end down into the chimney. 

"Okay, I'm going to lower myself down using this rope. Once I retrieve the goods, I'll signal you to pull me up." 

"Ben, I don't think I can pull you up," Kyle said. 

"You'll have to try or else I'll be stuck down there." 

Ben hopped up on the chimney and swung his legs inside. He wrapped the rope around his forearms and used his feet to pinch the rope. This way, he could lower himself down with a little more control. With a slow and steady descent, Ben allowed the rope to slip through his shoes and hands until he reached the bottom. Once at the base of the fireplace, he quickly activated the switch and darted through the small doorway.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 7.3K 53
2016 WATTY AWARD WINNER - HQ LOVE THE TERM SHEET is a fast-paced technothriller about entrepreneurship, startups, encryption, and the delicate balanc...
97.7K 6.3K 21
complete // They were like parallel lines. They had so much in common yet they've never met. What started as a forgotten notebook and an incomplete d...
7.4M 390K 49
WATTPAD ORIGINAL EDITION Seven letters, seven confessions, seven clues. Elliot Parker has what he needs to find out who killed his best friend... But...
7.3K 788 26
"Lips may be sealed, secrets can be kept, but none are safe from me." Vera Reinhart went from having a clean record to committing murder within ten...