Calista Lake (GirlXGirl)

By SkylarJapera

Calista never thought she would return to the dreadful town Black Oaks after her father committed suicide. Bu... More

Welcome Home
My Last Breath
Afraid
You Need Me, I Don't Need You
Enemies
Stop Looking, Start Seeing
Hearts A Mess
Another Day
Together
Awake
Bedroom Hymns
Rebellion
Glowing
Eyes
Lost Tree
In 4 the Kill
Say You Love Me
Fire

Scary Monsters & Evil Spirits

12.3K 472 45
By SkylarJapera

Chapter 3
Scary Monsters & Evil Spirits

Calista groans and buries her face deeper into whatever she was sleeping on. Around her she could hear birds chirping and cars. She hums and then shifts again trying to get back to her deep sleep. However, she stiffens when someone hand lies delicately on her back. 

Calista rubs her eyes and lifts up slowly mentally praying she didn't sleep with an stranger last night.

When she opens her eyes slowly she is surprised to see Eleanor sleeping peacefully. "What the hell." Calista mutter and then look around noticing she was in her room.

"Elle." She rolls off the girl chest and glance at her clock noticing it was six in the morning.

Eleanor rolls over mumbling something and this make Calista frown. "You really have to stop sneaking in here." The brown hair girl mutters annoyed shaking Eleanor awake. This time the black hair girl awake screaming in panic, "Calista." 

"Hey." Calista touches her shoulder. "I'm right here."

Eleanor rubs her eyes and then says her voice husky, "Sorry." She then smiles weakly and looks away blushing. Calista arches her eyebrow and then looks down noticing that she was half naked. Only in her panties. Calista quickly pulls the sheets up to cover her chest.

"I didn't see anything." Eleanor quickly defends her face still red.

"Elle." Calista hiss. "What the fuck are you doing here in my bed?"

Eleanor turns back towards Calista and asks, "You don't remember?"

Calista rubs her head because she now had the biggest headache. "Remember what? God don't tell me we slept together." She groans into her hands. 

Eleanor rolls her eyes but she still turns completely red. "No, something worse."

"What could be worse than that!" Calista practically screams.

Eleanor frowns offended but she is cut off by someone else voice. 

"Why is everything so loud?"

Calista eyes instantly goes to the floor. She moves towards the end of the bed to see the other three girls on her floor with blankets on top of them. 

"What the hell are you guys doing here?" Calista hisses.

Scarlet covers her ears while groaning, "Please stop your ranting."

Calista frowns and watches Luna pull the blanket over her head. Stella however leans up and looks around. "This is your room?"

"Wow, I didn't notice." Calista replies sarcastically.

"What's your problem?" Stella sneers.

"I have uninvited guests in my house that's my problem." Calista hisses.

"You guys really do not remember?" Eleanor questions.

All four pair of eyes stares her way. Eleanor shifts uncomfortable. 

"Remember what!" Stella screams touching her head and then hisses, "Ouch. Fuck." She looks at her hand and notice the blood. "Why the hell is there blood in my hair."

Calista leans over inspecting and then gasps, "You have a dry blood everywhere." Calista then pulls the blanket down off of Stella body noticing the blood on her neck and dress. Stella breathing becomes heavy and she stands running towards Calista wall mirror. "My hair!" She shreiks. 

Scarlet rolls her eyes but when she tries to stand she notice the pain in her thigh. She throws the sheets off off her and sees the gash in her thigh. "What the fuck!" She screams in anger.

Luna finally lifts up. "You scared me." She rubs her eyes and Calista gawks at her bruised face. Calista then feels pain in her side. She looks down and her eyes widen at the long deep scar.

"What the fuck happened last night?" Calista hisses towards Eleanor who was now backed up into the dresser. 

Eleanor looks at the four girls in front of her and noticed all of them were panicking and Luna was on the verge of crying as she looked at herself in the mirror. Finally she intakes a huge breath and says.

"You all died!"

"I knew you were fucking crazy." Stella stands. While Calista stares at her in shock.

"I'm not lying." Eleanor hisses towards Stella. She then looks towards Calista and repeats, "I'm not."

Calista rubs her temple because she was having the worse headache in years. Luna was crying and Scarlet was trying to soothe her while screaming at Eleanor. Stella was also contining to rant about her stupid hair. Calista stands ignoring them all and use one of the blankets to cover her bare chest. She grabs a t-shirt and puts it on. Black fur catches her attention and she looks to her left and notice the black cat. She cocks her head to the side vivid images of a cat purring and water filling her lungs. Calista shakes her head.

"She said we died. I'm a ghost." Luna continues to cry.

Scarlet fumes, "You better take that back before I take your leg." She screams towards Eleanor who couldn't form any words.

Luna wipes her eyes and Scarlet frowns and again tries to reassure Luna that Eleanor was a 'crazy bitch'.

"You hear me Luna. She's fucking nuts okay? Don't listen to her. Now come on, stop crying please. You know how much it annoys me and make me-

"Sick." Luna finishes Scarlet sentence. The little red head bites her lower lip and hiccups wiping her eyes. Stella continues to run her fingers through her bloody hair. "I need a shower."

Calista sits on the end of the bed and says, "Elle please tell me what really happened last night."

"I'm telling the truth Calista." Eleanor eyes were wide and she was pleading. 

"You sound crazy." Calista mutters towards Eleanor and Scarlet hisses after her, "You sound fucking nuts. Now tell us!"

"I told you all she was crazy and full of shit!" Stella rants on. 

"How about all of you shut the fuck up!" Calista screams towards Stella and Scarlet. She then looks back and Eleanor. "Tell me."

"I will show you." Eleanor says. "I will show all of you."

Eleanor opens her grandmother aincents book of spells and Calista rolls her eyes. Eleanor sits down and then begins to chant words the other four couldn't understand. The lights flickers and then five candles Calista had around her room explodes with fire.

Calista eyes widen and Eleanor begins to chant louder and the four girls scream in pain. Vivid images passes through all four of the girls head. The car, them falling off the cliff, and being sunk under the water. Then being dragged from under the water.

Once they are back Calista begins to cough up water. She clutches her chest because it felt as if she just died again.

"Don't ever fucking do that again!" She hisses trying to catch her breath.

Eleanor couldn't help the sly smirk on her face. "Now do you believe me." For some reason before all of this happened she could only do small spells no matter how much she practiced. But now she felt stronger than ever. The spell she just attempted needed great power to be perform.

Luna begins to cry again and Scarlet ask her voice low, "How are we here?"

"Midnight." She answers.

"Who?" The four say at the same time. Then they hear a cat purring and skipping towards Eleanor legs. "This is Midnight. She watches over you-" She looks at Calista. "You all." She clears her throat. "Last night I saw you guys fall of the cliff and I came to help. I became stronger and was able to drag you all from under water with my powers."

"How have you became this badass witch all of a sudden?" Stella answers vemon behind her voice. "How do we know you didn't just kill us."

"Why would I do that!" Eleanor says back.

"Jealously of course." Stella replies. "But you fucked up and killed the girl you lov-

"Shut the fuck up Stella!" Calista screams and Stella instantly shuts her mouth. Eleanor bites her lower lip and says whispering because she could see Scarlet and Luna thinking about what Stella just stated. "I didn't kill you all."

"How do we know it wasn't your insane ex." Scarlet pipes in moments later taking the attention off of Eleanor.

Everyone then turns towards Stella.

"He doesn't have the nuts." The blonde says but her voice betrayed her confidence.

"I believe we found the killer." Scarlet says.

"What happened after you dragged us out of the water." Luna finally speaks her voice low.

"Like I previous said emotion plays a huge role in magic." Scarlet snorts, Stella rolls her eyes, and Calista runs her hand through her hair in annoyance. All of this was crazy. Eleanor bites her lip and then says, "What is the point if you all not gonna take me seriously."

"Sorry." Scarlet tries not to laugh but all of this was bull shit to her. Finally after gathering themselves Eleanor continues. "I called for the spirts bring you back." She was now looking towards Calista. "But they refused."

"And?" Stella questions wanting answers.

"I don't know." Eleanor shrugs. "One moment I'm crying over your dead body." Eleanor says looking towards Calista. "And then next thing I know Calista is breathing and not to long after all of you are."

"I see." Calista says and then stands but she howls in pain because she forgot about her thigh. Stella and Eleanor shouts her name and then frown towards each other. "Let me." Eleanor says touching her thigh softly. It was a huge a huge gash. "I'm not a full healer but I can try."

Calista nods her head and Eleanor chants another spell and this time everyone pays close attention. Her palm glows lightly on top of the wound and Calista hisses slightly. They all watch amazed as the wound heals a little and then her palm stops.

Eleanor smiles sheeplishly.

"Bummer." Scarlet says.

"Not a badass witch anymore." Stella says.

Eleanor frowns, "I'm not a healer. My ancetors are not known for that."

"And what are you known for?" Stella eyes narrow towards Eleanor but the midnight hair witch doesn't answer but turns her head. Stella smirks and then looks for a first aid kit and when she comes back she grabs Calista thigh and wraps it.

"Thanks." Calista mutter towards both of them her thigh feeling better.

Hours later everyone was clean up and sitting on Calista bed waiting for someone to say something. They all jump when Scarlet alarm sounds.

"Shit, we have school."

"I don't think attending school is a good idea." Eleanor says.

Stella frowns, "Are you serious! It is the first day. We do not miss the first day."

"Someone out there thinks you all are dead." Eleanor explains slowly. "If they see you it is going to create problems."

"So what you want us to do?" Stella hisses. "Pretend to be dead."

"I can't do that to my dad." Scarlet announces.

Eleanor bites her lower lip in deep thought.

"We go to school." Calista says. "And we stay close."

Eleanor shifts again. She didn't belong with them. Calista would fit right in. She was beautiful her hazel nut skin and her beautiful light brown eyes scream beauiful. Also, she could hold her own and having Stella, Scarlet, and Luna as her friends who she has been with for two days now already put her at the top of the pyramid.

However, Eleanor was awkward and dark. She wore black clothes all the time and she had pale skin. Her eyes didn't shine as bright as the others. She would rather stay by herself.

The other four girls agree and everyone begins to get ready. Eleanor tries her best to heal the other girls to her best ability where people wouldn't question much but she could tell they were still a little sore.

"My car!" Stella finally whines. "I forgot we drove my baby to the party."

"My jeep is right outside." Calista says. "It came yesterday. So chill, we have a way to school."

"In that thing." Stella says looking out the front door. The jeep was all black with black rims but Stella wasn't a jeep type more of a Mercesdes or Audi. She pouts.

"Walk then." Calista grabs her bag and pen and everyone follows her to the jeep wrangler. This was her baby she had it for two years and was never giving it up. Everyone gets in the spacious vehicle  that smelled of lavender and headed to school.

Eleanor who was sitting in the front says, "Maybe you should drop me off right here." She whispers hoping the other three will continue on with their conversation.

"Non sense Elle. We stick together."

"But-I didn't die. It would be odd if I'm seen with you guys."

"No." Calista continues driving. Eleanor sighs and says, "It would help me figure out who did this if I'm not seen with you and them."

"She's right." Scarlet says. "She could help. Listen out."

Calista rolls her eyes and Eleanor says, "Stop the car."

Calista stops and grabs Eleanor wrist stopping her while saying. "When I text answer."

"Ok." Eleanor replies slamming the door walking the rest of the way.

The halls were filled with whispers when Calista walked through the doors of Black Oaks High. Everyone steps out of their way and Calista watches as the other three walked with grace and pride. Stella notice Hale and his other friends leaning on the locker talking to probably freshmans, Stella winks his way and continue down the hall. 

Calista runs her fingers through her hair wondering how she found herself in this situation. She walks towards her locker and throws her bag inside. She then heads to her first class. Once she enters the classroom she notice Stella and the other two in the back. Luna waves her way happily and Calista walks their way. "Please tell me I do not have all my classes with you all." Calista sits in her desk and groans. She was in pain and her head was beaming.

Scarlet scans the classroom and says, "We should all concentrate on finding who dared to murder us."

Stella and Calista agrees but trying to find the killer was harder than they all thought. By the time it was lunch Calista was ranting away, "Who says the killer is even in school." She frowns bawling her fist trying to calm her nerves. Scarlet leans on the wall and just roll her eyes. "Stop being dramatic."

"Stop being dramatic?" Calista hisses towards Scarlet in anger. "I wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for you three!"

Scarlet kicks off the wall in anger and Stella questions, "What's that suppose to mean?"

"I just got here." Calista says. "It is pretty obvious I was in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"So you think someone was trying to kill us." Luna asks innocently.

"Yes!" Calista runs her fingers through her hair. "Probably out of hate or envy. I don't know but why would anyone want to hurt me."

"Let's start with your attitude." Stella replies. "You're not the only one who died by the way."

Calista folds her arms over her chest and scans the lunchroom for Eleanor. She was so over this. "I should have listened to Eleanor."

"I see why Eleanor thinks you're an asshole." Stella says frowning. "How does she even deal with you. Are you always blaming others for your problems." The blonde girl walks away and the other two follows her. Calista frowns and kicks the nearest trashcan over.

Eleanor sits outside the caferteria with her Book of Spells open in her lap. She could feel tension in the air and she knew a storm was coming. However, she still was at lost of where her power had just come from. She scans through the book and tries a powerful spell. She closes her eyes and chants words others would not understand.

Everything around her becomes dark and when she opens her eyes her grandmother is sitting in front of her and shes in her grandmother house at the table.

"Grandmom." Eleanor says with hope and tears in her eyes. She watches her grandmother grab some suger and puts some in her tea. Everything around them was grey and dull. 

"Why have you summon me darling?" Her grandmother now was eyeing her and sipping on her drink. "The dead likes to stay dead Eleanor. I taught you better."

Eleanor swallows. "I apologize. Something has happened. I have great power now."

"You have always had great power sweetie." Her grandmother replies sipping slowly. She then places the tea cup down.

"I brought someone back to life."

Eleanor covers her ears when she hears shrieks around her. It was painful and loud. Her grandmother waves her hand and the noise instantly goes away. "You did what!" Her grandmother hisses.

"What was that?" Eleanor questions.

"Bad sprits." Her grandmother glances around the room. "We do not have much time. You do not mess with the dead Eleanor."

"I know but I didn't try to." Eleanor tries to explain quickly because her grandmother was fading away quickly. "They just came back."

"They?" Her grandmother asks very confused.

"Yes." Eleanor explains. "They all died in a accident. Murder. I tried to help and next thing I know they are breathing."

"How many?"

"Huh?"

"How many?" Her grandmother hollers. "How many did you bring back and what is their gender?"

"Um-four. Four females."

Her grandmother gasp while clutching her chest. "It can't be." Eleanor watches her grandmother begin to panic. However, everything begins to fade and Eleanor can hear someone calling her name and whoever it was were interrupting their connection.

The room begins to spin and Eleanor grandmother disappears from the table but she can still hear her. 

"Find the other book." She hears and she is rip out of her kitchen and back outside the cafeteria. She gasps for air and her heart beats rapidly.

"Sky?" Calista questions looking down at Eleanor who was trying to catch air. She bends down and rubs her back. "What were you doing?"

Eleanor stands almost knocking the brown skin girl over. She grabs her books stuffing them in bag and storming back into the school. Calista chases after her and questions, "What happened back there?"

"You interrupted the bond!" Eleanor spats frustrated. "I was speaking to my grandmother."

"Your dead grandma?"

"Yes."

Calista wanted to tell Eleanor to stop with her freakishness but she knew that everything Eleanor was saying now was true. She couldn't say anything but 'wow'.

"I need to go home." Eleanor says quickening her pace to the front door. Calista nods her head and mutters, "Skipping first day. Great way to start."

Before they reach the Jeep they could hear voices behind them. Calista turns around and notice it is the other three. She groans but Eleanor jumps in the passenger side of the Jeep and says, "We don't have time."

Calista gets into the Jeep and the other three hop in also. "Why are we skipping?" Scarlet questions. 

"I don't know why you guys are skipping." Calista replies stomping on the gas heading to Eleanor grandmother house as she order. "I'm helping Elle with something. How did you know we were leaving."

"A hunch." Scarlet replies. "A odd feeling."

Eleanor begins to bite on her fingers. What have she done?

It didn't take long before Eleanor had the entire house destroyed. Calista was behind her going through things trying to find a certain book. About two hours later the five girls were sitting on the floor. Scarlet opens her purse and pulls out nail polish and begins to paint her nails. "I skipped school for this." she says.

"No one ask you to." Calista hisses towards her making Scarlet grunt.

Stella stands and looks around the dark basement. Eleanor pulls her knees to her chest because she was afraid she was going to pay in the after life. Luna lays her head down and yawns into her hand. "I'm sleepy." 

Stella runs her fingers over the old and dusty book case and her fingers glow making the book case move to the left. She yelps and steps back running into Scarlet where she trips over and fall. Eleanor stands ignoring the two who was arguing and runs to the open hallway. "How did you do it?" She questions turning towards Stella.

"I don't know." Stella shrugs. "I just touched it."

Eleanor smiles and goes into the long dark hallway. Calista stands wiping her jeans off and says, "Coming." Everyone follows Eleanor down the hall and about two minutes later they are in another room. Once they step foot in candles around them lights the flames hitting the high ceiling above them.

Eleanor notice the couch to the left and a table full of portions and a few voodoo dolls.

"Is this the book?" Stella holds up a ancient book. "This shit is heavy." She places it back down on the table and Eleanor rushes to it. "It's another book of spells." She says flipping through the pages. Calista wipes her hand across another table full of portions and notice the dust. "Your grandmother was in a coven?" She questions.

"I do not know." Eleanor replies. "My grandmother told me that my ancestors were guardian witches."

Scarlet snorts, "What does that mean?"

"I do not know." Eleanor replies shame in her voice. "My grandmother start spilling things when she was on her death bed and the night she died she just gave me this book and told me to study it."

"Guardian means protection." Stella says. "I'm guessing your family is known for protecting something. But what?"

Eleanor shrugs and continue to look around. 

"As I said, she told me a few child hood stories but they were just stories."

"This is worse than that spell you put on me." Stella states eyeing her.

Eleanor rolls her eyes and Stella asks, "Was it true? I'm I going to be drag by the devil where I will burn for all eternity and return as a evil soul."

Calista turns around noticing the tension in the room. She watches as Stella folds her arms over her chest and Eleanor shifts from one foot to the other.

"It was a lie." Eleanor finally admits. "I was angry and knew it would get an reaction from you. I know you hate your white hair but your white hair symbolize purity and innocence."

Scarlet snorts again. "Now that's a lie."

Eleanor shrugs, "It does. When I find this book, I can tell you all about your ancestors."

"Whoa!" Scarlet stands waving her hand. "I don't need to know about my dead folks. They can stay dead. Plus," Scarlet continues to rant. "My grandmother moved over here as a immigrant with my papa and my father married my white mommy and I came. Nothing special. It's simple and I like it."

Calista cocks her head to the side. "You're not fully Spanish?"

"You're not fully black?" Scarlet retorts.

Calista laughs, "OK that was offensive my bad."

Scarlet rolls her eyes and blows her nails that still wasn't fully dry. Eleanor however arches her eyebrow and walks up on Scarlet making the Spanish girl back up. "What!" Scarlet hisses in annoyance. 

Eleanor steps back. "Nothing." 

"You bitches are weird!" Scarlet rants.

"What did I do to you to make you tell me something so evil." Stella says jumping back to the previous conversation.

Eleanor rolls her eyes, "The school tortures me for years and you're angry because of some fake spell and reading I told you."

"In front of the entire study body by the way." Stella screams back. "I had nightmares for months."

"You deserved it." Eleanor shrugs.

Stella storms towards Eleanor in anger but Calista holds her back and says, "This is really not the time to start killing each other."

"Look." Eleanor starts. "I'm not sorry. Like you're not sorry for helping your boyfriend put paint in my locker that destroyed my clothes, knocking my food out my hand, and burning my grandmother book."

Stella pulls her bottom lip between her teeth and Luna and Scarlet stares at her. "You did all that?" Luna questions innocently.

"Yes." Stella admits. "When Hale and I first start dating."

"You know we hated that bullying shit Stella." Scarlet hisses in anger. "We made a pact that we wouldn't become the football players."

"I know." Stella runs her hand over her face. "It was for Hale."

Luna steps away from Stella and says, "You're suppose to keep your promises Stella." The small red head then sits on the floor opening her sketch book.

They all sit in the room for another hour and Calista checks her watch noticing the time. "It's probably not here." She comments. 

Everything was pretty dull since the previous conversation they all had about Stella. It seem Luna was finishing up her art work and surprisingly she open the sketch book and showed everyone. "Wow." Calista comments noticing the perfect lines of her. "This is beautiful."

"I like drawing pretty things." Luna smiles widely and then blushes when she notice what she has just said. Calista nods her head and Luna closes her book and continues.

Stella clears her throat and say, "I agree with Calista, Eleanor. Maybe the book is not here."

"You guys can leave." Eleanor continues to pace back and forth. Scarlet was lying back on the couch with her eyes close and mutters, "School would have been so much better. I missed my music class."

Calista rolls her eyes and says, "I will be right back." She then wonders back down the hall and through the open book case. She looks around again in the kitchen and the living room. She then heads up the stairs and into the grandmother old room. It was still fully furnished but everything was all dusty and she coughs into her hands and then sneezes. She falls to her knees and the wood below her creeks. She arches her eyebrow and pulls back the woodpiece and she smiles. "Great hiding spot old lady." She reaches down and pull the book up cutting herself in the process. She hisses and pulls back putting her cut thumb into her mouth.

Everything becomes dark and the house begins to rumble. Calista holds on to the bed and then covers her ears when she hear shrieks in the air. She falls onto the floor in pain and her eyes glow.

Below Calista the other four were on their knees screaming in pain while covering their ears. One of the black evil shadow spirits flies above their head and then shrieks again so loudly that Eleanor pretty sure her ears are bleeding. She looks around and notice that the other three are slowly collapsing and there eyes are glowing brightly.

"You." One of the shadow spirits snarls behind her. She shakes in fear at the deadly voice. She has messed with the dead and this was her punishment. She tries to stand but one of the evil spirits pushes her into the nearby wall. Eleanor hisses in pain and cries, "I didn't try to." 

However, Eleanor continues to hear the spirits bash at her.

"You will pay." They say.

Eleanor eyes goes wide when they form into bodies, their wings sprouting from their backs. They body lean over in a odd and irregular angle. Eleanor gulps as one of them stalks towards her. "You broke the curse." He says and Eleanor notice it is a demon. She kicks herself back into the wall as the black demon gets closer to her. "I will enjoy you in hell." His voice drops lowly and Eleanor shakes in fear. What the hell did she do?

"But before I take you." He slurs. "I will eat them." Eleanor watches his long tongue come out his mouth and hangs very low pass his chin. Eleanor has never been so afraid in her life. She know she was shaking and then the demon tongue runs down her neck she almost collapse and die.

The demon roars in laughter and the house continues to shake and he crawls over to Luna body and leans over her smelling her hair. 

Upstairs Calista was levitating in the air. She couldn't move but notice the figure in front of her. The figure walks towards her and touches her chest making her scream in pain. 

"The dead supposed to stay dead."

"Kill...me..then..." Calista spats in pain.

The figure smirks evilly and Calista could tell that in that moment she was about to see death yet again. However, something stops the figure. She could see light shadows forming into bodies. Calista could barely make them out.

"You know the rules." A angelic voice says. 

"They were cursed." The figure hisses. "For a reason! The dead stays dead."

"And you cannot mess with with the powerful."

The figure snarls again and Calista can tell that it is angry even though she cannot make out its face.

"If they unite again. It is the end of everyone."

"If nature chooses to take that course then the dead cannot interfere. The dead stays dead and does not interfere with the living." Another angelic voice says and then raises her hand and Calista watches light surround all of them and she could hear the shrieks again throughout the house making her ears bleed. Once they disappear wind hits her body and slams her into the mirror behind her making her grunt and fall to the wooden floor.

Eleanor watches the demon suck the life out of Luna and she cannot do anything. She then watches the brightest light swirl around the dark shadows and demons engulfing them. She stares in shock before collapsing herself.

Please Comment :) What do you think so far? What do you think of the girls so far? Who is your favorite?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

314 2 24
A mother and her twin daughters have been through a tragedy and lost everything. Now a new town for a new beginning and one woman who can save them. ...
1.6K 303 66
Cara's family was taken from her as a teenager, and she spent the years after learning everything she could about the dark creatures responsible, try...
47.4K 3.2K 40
Roman, the powerful yet kind leader ~ Thalia, the beautiful yet ruthless flower. ~ Alyssa, the bold yet cold hearted summoner. ~ Allen, the loving y...
105 37 7
Gwen Hargraves, where do we start? When Gwen and her friends unleash a trapped soul seeking vengance on the Hargraves family. Can they put an end to...