Cross My Heart

By Joan0324

Edward has not had an easy life and it's not about to get any easier. After being involved in a gang shooting... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 22

533 39 14
By Joan0324

Bella's P.O.V

They kept us in separate rooms after we were arrested. At first, it was just me staring at the one-way mirror, expecting to see someone through it, but there was only myself. Not a single cop came to see me for hours. They kept me handcuffed to a table with a bottle of water that was just out of my reach by a fucking inch. It was cold as well and nothing I had on was enough to provide me some warmth. Maybe they forgot about me?

It felt as if the whole day had gone by when the first cop showed up in the room, followed by his partner. They shut the door behind them and the first one to walk in motions to my hands. His partner comes up to me with the keys to my handcuffs and takes the restraints off me. I rub my aching wrists as they settle in front of me and open a file. It's a file about me.

"Isabella, I'm detective Garret and this is my partner detective Embry. We're here to help you." The first cop, Garret, spoke softly, as if he was trying to win over the trust of a lost child.

"I want a lawyer."

"You're not going to need one."

"Then why am I still here?"

"We need to ask you some routine questions," detective Embry said. "We understand you've been through so much these past couple of months and you're ready to go home to your family. Your father has been notified and is on his way here as we speak."

"Where is Edward?" I ask, panic rising in me.

"He's being questioned as well, there is nothing you should worry about. He can't hurt you anymore."

"No, you don't understand," I say. "I'm not worried about him hurting me, I'm worried about him." Both detectives looked confused by my words. It's then when it hits me that they think Edward is the criminal here, that he kidnapped me from home and put me through so many traumatic situations. "I chose to leave with him. He never forced me to do anything I didn't want to do, I left with him because if I stayed in Forks then my life was in serious danger."

Detective Garret leaned over the table and asked, "How?"

And so I told them everything. From the moment Edward and I met in the diner to now, every single thing I could account. Elizabeth's confession about Edward's true father, what I talked about with Aro, my power ridden cousin and the massacre from this morning. And they listened. Not once did they ask a question or clarification. They simply listened. I was out of breath by the time I was done, so I chugged the bottle of water to the last drop and squeezed the bottle with one fist.

"He's innocent," I continued, looking down at the wrinkled bottle. "He wants nothing more than to take care of his daughter and look after his mother. You have to believe me."

"It's going to take more than one testimony to determine that," detective Embry said. "What evidence do you have to prove it?"

"The body found at the old Masen's home!" I snap. "Go to Aro's organization, ask the people that worked for him, you'll find everything there. Or maybe the fact that I win nothing by lying, but I can't leave Edward like this."

Detective Garret nods to himself. "Fine, we'll give you the benefit of the doubt. We'll run an investigation and until you're proven right, he'll remain under our custody. He still killed a man."

"He was trying to protect me," I correct him. "That man was going to kill me if Edward hadn't been there to stop him."

It was left at that after the interrogation. I stayed in the police station for the night with no possibility of seeing Edward until Charlie showed up to claim me. It was an emotional reunion the following morning. I never thought I'd be so happy to see my father in my life, but there he was, alive and well. As healthy as a horse. We hugged for what felt like hour in the police station until it became awkward.

"Come on, lets get you to the hotel so you can freshen up and get some rest." He wraps an arm over my shoulders and leads me out of the police department. "I've been so worried, Bells. I thought I lost you forever."

"I'm okay, dad. Trust me, I'm okay."

"I'm glad." He kisses the side of my head and sighs. "I'll book our flight back home for tomorrow."

"No." I stop on my tracks. "No, dad, I need to stay here."

"Bella..."

"He's innocent and I won't leave until I'm proven otherwise. I need to find Luke and Emma and Elizabeth, know if they're okay..."

"It's not your problem anymore, darling."

"It is!" I insist. "I love him, dad..."

To say that Charlie was happy about staying in Boston until Edward's innocence was proven, would be a lie. He was everything, but happy. But while I waited for the call from detective Garret and if I heard anything from Luke, I was caught up with everything that has happened at home since my absence. I broke down in tears when I learned what happen to Harry and there is no doubt in my mind that Jacob is the one responsible for hurting him. Dad says he's fully awake now and has been warning him about Jacob. I make a mental note to text that bit of information to detective Garret. Harry was there when Jacob told us his master plan and I'm pretty sure his attack was a way for him to insure Harry wouldn't speak a word.

Aside from that, the whole town has been worried about my whereabouts.

I finally hear from Luke a week after Charlie's arrival in Boston. He got my phone number from Garret and called me as soon as he could. We set to meet up, obviously Charlie included since he planned on me never leaving his sight for as long as he is alive.

The moment I see Luke walk through the Starbucks door with Emma is the moment I jump to my feet and run to them. Emma's eyes widen at the sight of me. She wiggles out of Luke's grasp and runs to me. I catch her and pull her in a tight hug, letting her wrap herself around me. I'm so lost in the moment with her that I almost don't notice the additional woman that walks in right behind Elizabeth. I'm a little taken aback when I see her. She's incredibly beautiful, with long strawberry blonde locks falling over her shoulders and piercing blue eyes...

"Bella, this is Tanya, Emma's mother," Luke says. Judging by the tone of his voice and the way Elizabeth doesn't look at her, I gather they are not happy about having her present. I'm not gonna lie, I want to punch her for abandoning Emma and Edward. "Tanya, this is Edward's Bella."

Edward's Bella?

Tanya forces a smile and extends her hand to me. "It's a pleasure, Bella."

I pretend I can't shake her hand with Emma in arms. "Pleasure. This is my father, Charlie. Dad, these are Luke, Elizabeth and Emma, Edward's family. And... Tanya apparently."

Dad shakes all their hands. "It's a pleasure."

"Lets all sit down," Luke says, motioning to a table. We all take a seat. Emma remains on my lap and even ignores the woman who gave birth to her when she tries to play with her and win her attention. Luke gives Tanya a slight shake of the head in a silent request. He turns to me. "Bella, what have you heard about Edward's case?"

"Not much. I was hoping you could enlighten me or something."

Luke nods. "I spoke with detective Garret the day I asked him for your number. He couldn't tell me much, but I have a feeling they are going to let him go."

I let go a sigh a relief. I look down at Emma. "Daddy will be coming home soon, Emma."

Emma looks at me with a smile, even when I know she can't hear what I'm saying and signs something. I look at Luke for translation.

"She said she missed you."

"Can you tell her I missed her too?"

Luke nods and signs what I said to Emma. She smiles again and lays her head on my shoulder, hugging her little arms around my waist. I kiss the top of her head and look at Tanya, who is watching her daughter with a bit of... regret.

"How do you fit in all this?" I ask her.

"I saw what happened in the news. I couldn't stay back and not know they were okay."

Elizabeth scoffs. "Now she cares. It didn't matter to her the last three years of doctor's appointments and treatments Emma has been in, but now she cares."

"Ma, please." Luke takes her hand in his and shakes his head.

"She's right, I'm a sorry excuse of a mother," Tanya says, looking at Emma. "I ran away when I shouldn't had, now my daughter doesn't recognize me. All because of those men..."

"You chose to leave," I remind her. "This falls on no one, but yourself."

"I made a terrible mistake." She looks at me. "But I want to redeem myself. I want to be a mother to my daughter, a partner to Edward."

"I'm sorry, what?" Did she just...?

"Tanya, we've talked about this. Edward has finally moved on after three years, you can't show up out of nowhere and demand for a fucking family. You were the one who left in the first place." Luke reminded her in a harsh tone. "Don't come with that bullshit now."

Tanya wants her family back? She wants Edward and Emma back for herself... The thought is like a punch in the gut. Would Edward want her back for Emma's sake? I hug Emma closer to me, suddenly scared of losing her just as much as losing Edward. I look at Dad. I know he is uncomfortable by being wrapped in all this, but even then, I can see in his expression. He may not know the full story, but from what he gathers, what this woman is asking for is ridiculous.

Luke's phone goes off. He picks it up and looks at it, a smile spreading through his lips.

"What is it?" Elizabeth asked.

"It's Edward," he said. "They let him go..."

Vote!

Comment!

~Joan0324

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 196 13
In the mist-shrouded town of Forks, Nancy Swan's life takes an unexpected turn when she relocates with her younger sister Bella. Amidst the perpetual...
60.2K 1.7K 12
This is a Twilight and a Percy Jackson crossover. It is after both of the series end, with of course a little twist end to the Percy Jackson series...
461K 11.5K 66
Melody and Bella are best friends, they have known each other since they were three years old. They have grown up being next door neighbours since th...
141K 6.5K 176
Isabella Swan, an up and coming graphic artist, lived in the heart of the Gold Coast in Chicago. She was comfortable in her brownstone, left to her b...