With You┃Dylan O'Brien ⓵

By PrincessNoamy

Anita Burns has just moved from rainy Washington to sunny California where everything is different. With grad... More

support my writing
Chapter One : Welcome to the Warmth
Chapter Two : Lockers Lunch & Learning
Chapter Three : For the First Time in Forever
Chapter Four : Getting Acquainted
Chapter Five : The Truth
Chapter Six : The Sun of the Beach
Chapter Seven : Day & Night
Chapter Eight : Finding the Right Words
Chapter Nine : Thanks to You
Chapter Ten : Go For It
Chapter Eleven : Remain Unspoken
Chapter Twelve : So Much About You
Chapter Thirteen : A Week to Remember
Chapter Fourteen : Nine, Ten, Eleven
Chapter Fifteen : Something to Smile About
Chapter Sixteen (Pt. 1) : How Unexpected
Chapter Sixteen (Pt. 2) : This is New
Chapter Seventeen : A Jealousy & A Conjecture
Chapter Eighteen : Lifeguards
Chapter Nineteen : Bad News Now Good News Later
Chapter Twenty : Fantasy
Chapter Twenty-One : Monica & Claus
Chapter Twenty-Two : W.T.A.F.
Chapter Twenty-Three : Happy(?) Holidays
Chapter Twenty-Five : Perfect Two
Chapter Twenty-Six : Christmas Day
Chapter Twenty-Seven : Another Christmas
Chapter Twenty-Eight : Hearts & Numbers
Chapter Twenty-Nine : That's Not True
Chapter Thirty : New Horizons
Chapter Thirty-One : Keep Going
TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE!
Chapter Thirty-Two : A Bad Start
Chapter Thirty-Three : Making the Most of the Worst
Chapter Thirty-Four : Blood Sweat and Tears
Chapter Thirty-Five : Trouble in Paradise
Chapter Thirty-Six : Never
Chapter Thirty-Seven : Don't Leave Me
Chapter Thirty-Eight : The Diagnosis
Chapter Thirty-Nine : Ever After
Epilogue
surprise!
A Preview of "Without You"

Chapter Twenty-Four : Castles & Kisses

11.2K 230 290
By PrincessNoamy

The last thing I want to do right now is go home. Unfortunately, I don't have much of a choice because Dylan is going to work promptly after he drops me off.

If I really had my way, I would sit in the kitchen with him while he cooked away. But whether I like it or not, we start heading down the wet roads towards my house.

It rained all night and though it's not raining right now, the sun isn't all too visible either. Not looking forward to getting home. At best, it'll be awkward silence or ignorance. At worst... well I'm not sure what the worst that could happen would be, but there's a lot of possible outcomes.

My aggressive dislike of the thought of getting home causes a constant frown to play on my face. My boyfriend tries to cheer me up by playing some of my favorite songs, but it doesn't really do much. I glance at the clock to see it's noon; maybe my parents won't be home! Here's for hoping.

Actually, I couldn't care less if my father will be home, I spoke to him last night for a while via text. We didn't speak much of the argument, I basically told him where I was and he said he was sorry.

I don't blame him much, though. Mostly it's my mother that I really don't want to have to deal with. But I have a feeling I won't have to, considering the fact that she's never home anyway.

"Anita," my companion calls in a sing-song voice. "Don't look so gloomy, it worries me."

"Sorry," I apologize. "I don't wanna go home."

"If I had my way, we'd both still be in my bed right now, but," he shrugs. "Plus I don't want to get on your parents' bad side for not bringing you home."

"I know, it's okay. I'm kind of just being a baby."

"Yeah. At least you're a cute baby."

Despite myself, I smile a little, "Stop trying to cheer me up."

"Why, is it working?", he glances over at me with an amused grin.

"I don't like you."

"Yes you do, you like all of me!"

"No, I don't."

"Yeah, ya do. You don't kiss a person the way you kiss me unless you really like them."

"You think you know everything, huh?"

"No, but I know a lot about you," he says, matter-of-factly. "For example, I know how hard it is for you to not be smiling right now."

Somehow, I laugh, "Shut up!"

"And now you've given in! Now I also know that you're not immune to my charm!"

"Well you should have known that already."

"What does that mean?"

I sigh, "If only you knew."

His mouth drops open, "What?!"

I simply shake my head.

"Anita, I will stop this car."

"Do it, I dare you."

"Waaiiit," Dylan suddenly says, knowingly. "I see what you're doing here. We can not postpone this car ride, okay? You have to get home, and I have to get to work."

I cross my arms over my chest, "It was worth a shot."

When I get home I find that my guess was right; mother is not here, but dad is. At least his car is. Inside the house, at first he is nowhere to be seen. Walking around a bit I call out for him, but get no reply at all.

Finally I find him sitting in a chair on the patio out back, a glass of scotch in his hand. I knock on the slightly ajar sliding glass door and he simply nods in response.

"Hey, dad," I say, walking out and crossing my arms in front of me.

"Hey."

"How are you?"

"Fine. Good as can be, given the circumstances, anyway," he sounds very tired and a bit agitated. "How are you holding up?"

"Alright," I sigh. "Pretty much got everything out last night, but I still feel strong emotions lingering inside of me."

Dad nods, "I know what you mean. Well, your mother is coming home at six, and all of us are supposed to have a sort of talk."

"Do I have to?", I ask. When he shoots me a stern look, I continue. "I'm not necessarily a fan of confrontation."

"I feel for you, but unfortunately there are things that need to be confronted, and I know you have things to say about it, whether you really want to or not."

Can't argue that. I nod in response and return inside where I shower and change into more comfortable clothes.

My mother strolls through the front door at 5:57 in the evening. It isn't raining anymore; in fact there's a bit of sun with spontaneous gusts of wind. She smiles warmly, carefully at me as she walks into the kitchen and I quickly flash a fake one in return.

Eventually, my parents and I sit around the table with plates of Italian Frittata set before us. Sitting at the dinner table, with food, with both of my parents, is a weird feeling. It's been so long since I've actually eaten dinner, especially with them.

Kind of sad when I think about it, considering this used to be the norm. I take small selective bites of my father's wonderful cooking, waiting for either my mother or father to speak first. Five minutes into the near-silent meal, mom does.

"I want to tell the two of you," she says quietly. "That I am sorry."

Neither my father nor myself reply at all, so mom continues.

"I'm sorry that my absences have been extensive and profuse. I didn't realize... I'm sorry I was so oblivious to how much it upset and bothered the two of you, but I guess last night was the revelation I needed. Scott, seeing you so furious and pained. And Anita, seeing you leave home without a wavering thought... It made me realize my mistakes. I'm sorry."

I can't bring myself to look up at her because I, for some reason, feel like I'll cry if I do. Rather, I nod and say "it's okay". I can't really stay mad at her after she's said all that, not to mention she is my mother and I love her. Even though I want so badly to know why she is always missing, I forget about it and move on.

My father grins at her, and I notice them join hands from across the table. I guess I have my family back.

~

I wake up on the morning of December twenty-fourth. It's December twenty-fourth. It's Christmas Eve! It's Disney day! I literally jump out of bed with the brightest of smiles on my face.

My playlist full of Disney songs plays at an adequate volume while I sing along and dance around. I can't remember the last time I was this excited!

Okay, well, I was almost equally excited when we were going on our first date to what turned out to be Santa Monica. But even that amount of excitement pales in comparison to how much is currently seeping through every part of my body. I should probably remember to keep it down, given the fact it's merely seven o'clock in the morning...

My boyfriend said the park opens at nine in the morning and closes a little early at eight o'clock tonight, as it is a Holiday. Apparently, it'll take us just over an hour to get there which is why we're planning to head out at eight in the morning.

Normally I resent waking up early, but how could anyone feel anything other than complete bliss with the knowledge they're going on a date to Disneyland!?

Stepping out onto my balcony, I stand idly for a moment and look around at the sky. A smile spreads across my face at the fact that it isn't raining, nor are there any rain clouds in sight. It's quite sunny today with a few small, white clouds and random breezes, but isn't very bad at all. Perfect.

I waste no time getting dressed and all ready to go. Packing all that I deem necessary into my large purse, I take the stairs two at a time until I reach the kitchen. I eat a hard-boiled egg, a slice of toast, and a few blueberries because I can imagine I'll be doing a lot of walking and standing today.

This time I'll be driving us to our destination, so I leave just before eight. When I get to Dylan's house, my insanely attractive boyfriend is already sitting outside, and wastes not a moment before climbing into my car.

"Good morning, Prince Charming," I greet him with a grin as he fastens his seat belt.

"Good morning... Cinderella?", he questions.

"Sure," I laugh. "You're looking cute as always."

"I was just about to say the same of you."

"Kisses!", I exclaim before pursing my lips.

He leans over the console and connects his lips to mine. The feeling I get from it makes me wonder how I ever lived without his touch before. When we pull away, he rubs his lips together and furrows his brow.

"You taste like blueberries," he says astutely.

"You and your insanely spot-on palette, mister chef," I shake my head as we start out on the road.

"I don't mind it. I like blueberries. And I like you."

"I would hope so, considering the fact that we're currently on our way to go on a date to Disneyland."

"True," he grins. "How's it feel to be the one driving for once?"

"A little different, but it's a nice change of pace. I'm just afraid you might fall asleep and I'll be sad and bored."

"Hey, that's a double standard!"

I glance at him briefly with my eyebrows raised, "What do you mean by that?!"

"You're almost always passing out when we drive places."

"Well, you're the one who always decides to take me to far-away places..."

"Aw, babe," he's smiling now. "In the end it's always worth it, right?"

"Always! I still can't believe we're actually going; I feel like I put the wrong place into the GPS."

"You put 'Disneyland' in, right?"

I nod.

"Then it's right."

"Dylan?"

"Yeah?"

"You are the best."

An hour of driving later, I still can't quite believe where it is that we're going. Even when we pull onto a road called "Disneyland Drive", I can't believe it. In fact, I don't believe it until we see a gigantic sign with a castle and flags on it that reads:

WELCOME TO DISNEYLAND

The Happiest Place On Earth

I suppose that makes it official. Mixed in with the grand amount of excitement and bliss is suddenly nervousness. Why am I nervous? Sometimes my emotions make zero sense to me. It's a problem.

There are so many people here, I know it'll take us quite some time to find a parking place. Somehow, though, we only have to circle the lot once when we find a rather great spot not too far from the entrance. We climb out of the car and I take his hand as we make our way towards... Disneyland.

"Why are you making that face?", Dylan asks after a few minutes of walking among lots of other excited people.

"What face?", I query.

"You're making the type of face a person makes when they're nervous about something."

"Fancy that."

He smirks vaguely, "You're not nervous, are you, babe?"

"I am!", I admit, finally.

"Why are you nervous?!", he laughs lightly. Meanie.

"I wish I knew! I'm, like, nervous excited if that makes any sense..."

Now he's full-on laughing, "You're cute."

~

My boyfriend hands the lady dressed in vibrant colors our park tickets. We pass through on to security where security checks my bag. No guns or weapons of any kind are allowed in the happiest place on Earth! People of all ages are all around us as we actually step into Disneyland. Disneyland.

The first thing I see is a gigantic fenced off little garden of sorts where colorful flowers are arranged to display Mickey Mouse's head. Tons of people are taking photos in front of it, and I can't blame them; it's pretty gorgeous.

"Are we actually here right now?", I ask, looking around.

"Yeah," Dylan nods with an adorable grin. "We're here."

I grip onto his hand more tightly as we walk past the garden and a train station. There's a little Town Hall on one side and a theater on the other. Joyous Disney music plays from various speakers and I can hardly take the feeling swelling up inside of me.

We continue walking until before us is a long line of shops called Main Street, with various shops on either side of the outstretched road in front of us.

At the end of the street swarmed with dozens and dozens of people, is the castle. You know, the Disney castle? Technically I think it's Sleeping Beauty's castle or something but either way, it's absolutely beautiful.

All the shops are decorated with Christmas decor and whatnot and most people are wearing Santa hats with Mickey Mouse ears on them. Christmas is evident and beautiful here, but this castle takes the cake.

It's massiveness is covered in beautiful blue and white lights that look like sparkling ice. A big green wreath and lots of garland cover it as well, and I can only imagine how even more beautiful it will look all lit up at night time. But even the sight right now, mixed with the crowds blissful chatter, and this FRICKIN happy Disney music blaring through the speakers is making me... overwhelmed.

"Oh my God!", Dylan exclaims, looking at my face. "Are you crying?"

"No!", I exclaim instantly. But I really am tearing up, which I never thought would have happened.

"Yes, you are!", he exclaims with a gigantic smile. Suddenly his phone is out and I can see the camera being opened promptly. "Selfie, Anita!"

He proceeds to take what I can imagine to be a dozen self-portraits where he, with the worlds largest smile (again looking like a human :D face), has his arm around me while I try to hide my face, but you can still kinda see it along with the tears. At least it'll make a great memory. He stows his phone back into his pocket and turns entirely toward me.

"I know I said I don't like to see you cry, because I don't," he says with his hands rubbing my arms. "But you're happy crying!"

"I'm sorry, I don't know what's gotten over me."

"Why are you always apologizing? Seriously this is like the best reaction I could've hoped for, you're crying tears of joy right now!", his priceless grin is still etched across his face.

I look around and then stare up at him, more tears falling for some freaking reason. "We're on a date at Disneyland," I blubber.

"Aw, babe," he chuckles, his eyebrows raised significantly. "You're really freaking out right now."

My boyfriend pulls me into him where I pull myself together and wipe my face off, the stupid tears finally ceasing.

"You better now?", he asks, as if I'm a child.

I nod.

"You wanna go find the pwincesses?", he speaks in a condescending tone.

Lightly hitting him in the stomach, I reply, "Shut up."

"Okay," Dylan laughs before kissing my forehead. "Let's get our Disney on!"

~

I could give you a play-by-play of every little thing we do in the park, but honestly, that would be repetitive and quite boring. Generally, we go on basically every ride, no matter how long the wait is. Even the ones meant for little kids make me smile and laugh.

I have to say that the Mad Hatter's spinning tea cups, Splash Mountain, and the scary Haunted Mansion are my favorites by far. The Haunted Mansion has been decorated and altered for Christmas which makes it a little less scary for me.

Dylan takes a liking to all the scarier the rides, the ones that give you a dangerous thrill. Basically, the ones that scare me the most; the Space Mountain roller coaster, Indiana Jones, and the Matterhorn are his favorites.

The Matterhorn terrifies me the most because a damn Yeti pops out at you at random moments. In the photo of us at the end of the ride, my boyfriend was laughing his head off while I looked on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Fun times at Disney.

We share a mutual love for the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. The two of us agree that part of it probably has to do with the fact that one of our earliest memories together was watching the movie. But also the ride is just really freaking cool. We go on it three times. It may also be worth noting I've taken about a thousand photos today.

My insanely (adorably) nerdy boyfriend demands we go to Tomorrowland, a part of Disneyland devoted to all things scientific and futuristic. A ride revolved around the world of Star Wars resides there, which he absolutely loves.

We go on a tour of a fake futuristic household which he finds absolutely fascinating. His reactions are insanely cute and attractive, if you ask me. In one room there's some game that multiple people can play where you have to answer scientific questions.

He plays against seven other people, and basically their attempts at winning were all futile by the time the first of three rounds was over. His prize is a free lightsaber that looks more legit than the ones you can buy in regular stores. To say he is happy and ecstatic about it is a major understatement. He carries it around the park with pride, my perfect, geeky little boyfriend.

At one point, we make our way back to Main Street where almost all of the souvenir shops are located. We enter the hat shop where we purchase our classic, signature, black Mickey Mouse Ear hats. Our names get sewn on the backs in yellow threaded cursive. Happiness consumes me.

When we're walking around Alice in Wonderland's part of town, I suddenly notice a random little boy who can't be more than three years old tagging along with Dylan and I. I don't know how long he's been following, and I only become aware of his presence because he suddenly grabs hold of my leg.

Stopping abruptly with a start, I let go of my boyfriend's hand and stare down to see the little guy. Dressed in a Peter Pan costume with chubby cheeks, the kid is absolutely adorable. And with the very wrong people. How he got hold of me and why, I have no idea.

When he looks up and sees that I am not who he thought I was, he gets the most depressing frown on his face. For some reason, though, he doesn't cry or yell out. He's just frowning profusely, looking on the verge of tears. I glance at Dylan who looks panicked as he searches around for his family.

I outstretch my arms to the little fella and he quickly jumps up to me. Kind of surprises me that he's so willing to trust a stranger, but I guess I'm not a very intimidating person... We bring him to the little Town Hall and the second we step in, a woman I presume to be his mother comes rushing towards us.

Little Peter Pan immediately scrambles from my hold on up to the lady who is crying. We've reunited the family! His parents thank the both of us profusely before leaving with the boy. Hopefully they don't lose him again.

The person running the Town Hall beckons my companion and I to her desk. The two of us receive pins that say "Honorary Citizen of Disneyland" on them. Apparently they give them out to people who do good deeds. I guess my boyfriend and I are pretty cool.

For lunch, we go to this really cute cafe that specializes in Mickey-shaped grilled cheese sandwiches and ice cream sundaes. This is what we eat and it's pretty delicious. While walking around, my amazing boyfriend buys me a pink balloon. Later I buy him a churro, then later a Mickey-shaped ice cream treat, then still later a basket of French Fries. This boy can really eat.

Disneyland really is a wonderfully amazing place unlike any other. Everyone looks so happy to be here! It's bright and cheerful, there's so many colors and joyous sounds, the upbeat Disney tunes playing through the speakers...

The smells of all the wondrous foods and the infinite amount of cheerful smiles and delightful laughs is euphoric. It's difficult to explain, but it feels literally impossible to be anything but happy at Disneyland.

Now I understand why it's referred to as the Happiest Place on Earth.

(I'd still say Dylan's bedroom runs a close second.)

Night finally falls upon us, and the pair of us seat in front of the giant, beautiful castle, waiting for the Christmas parade. The lights on the castle are now all lit up, and it's even more beautiful than I imagined it would be. I can't... Looking at it makes me want to cry again, ugh. How is that even possible? Guess this place really is magical.

"Baby," I say to my boyfriend, as I cuddle against him for warmth. "Look at the castle in all its splendor."

"It's really pretty, huh?", he agrees. "Reminds me of someone I know."

"Aw, Dyl," I kiss his cheek. "I feel like a little girl again; it makes me wish I was princess."

"You're gorgeous and kind enough to be a princess."

"Stop, you seriously are making me blush."

"So then you'll be even cuter than you already are."

"Dylan, your perfection is showing."

Then the Christmas parade starts. It takes it quite some time to reach us, but it's a really pretty thing to witness. All the floats are lit up and decorated beautifully. Mickey and Minnie mouse, the Disney princesses, and other Disney characters make appearances that make all the kids around us erupt in excitement.

Overall, it's an enjoyable parade. They end it with a literal bang, a remarkably dazzling display of fireworks popping behind the marvelous castle.

My boyfriend suddenly tilts my head up to him by my chin, and we lock eyes for a seemingly perfect moment before our lips meet. The fireworks exploding in the sky are weak compared to the ones I feel through every fiber in my being when his lips are on mine. I could stay like this forever. Everything feels perfect.

He pulls away from the kiss, then leans his forehead against mine. The fireworks, the cheering people, everything, all of Disneyland completely fades from my world, and all the wonders I've experienced are dimmed with what happens next. His words melt me like a Popsicle, and make me feel as if nothing else but him really matters anymore.

"I love you, Anita."

I close my eyes and relish in the words that escaped from his mouth. I bask in their meaning and the overwhelming amount of bliss and warmth I feel consume me. He loves me.

"I love you too, Dylan."

~

A/N:

Well, there it is. Bam. It happened. This chapter is very much on the shorter side, but I wanted it to end right where it did.

Hope y'all liked this chapter, it was fun to write. I didn't want to go too much into detail about it, I thought it might be a lil boring. I dunno. Feedback?

I start school on Wednesday, woo! For those of you who don't know, I'm sixteen & therefore still in high school. Tomorrow's gonna be my first day of Senior year, holla!

So some sad news, I'm gonna take a two-week hiatus to gather myself bc I've been super busy getting ready for school & the Dance season starting up again so tbh I'm way behind in the writing process. Don't worry though! The fourteen days I'll be gone will be spent catching up & writing more chapters for you guys to enjoy! :)

Sorry this is a pretty long author's note, btw. Props & thanks if you read the whole thing; it's kinda important. Best of luck if you've already started or are starting school again soon!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

417K 8.8K 59
EVERYTIME. ❝ why oh why does god keep bringing me back to you? ❞ in which noah can't keep it in his...
126K 2.5K 34
he was her bestfriend's twin brother and her very first kiss. nothing was different. right?
1M 17.6K 43
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
2.1M 110K 62
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...