Love & Loss

By cannoness

ATTENTION: This is the SECOND book of my Vampire's Pet series and cannot be read as a stand alone book. ~~~ ... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
What's to Come
Update
Physical Copies!!

Chapter 12

311K 13.7K 4.9K
By cannoness

Nico's POV:

I stared at the door, my head filling with hundreds of new ways that this night could go.

I think I knew exactly what this was going to be about.

I had hoped that since he hadn't brought it up ever since my arrival that maybe he wouldn't.

But I got too hopeful too soon.

I sucked in a long breath, straightening my stance and running my hands through my hair to regain my composure.

My arms fell loosely by my side.

I knew that this was coming, so I shouldn't act so surprised.

I've been expecting a little chat from my father about my expected wife ever since I made the decision to come here.

It's not even like this was going to be anything new.

Being a shameless disappointment to my father was something that I was good at, so I doubt the results of this conversation are going to be anything different.

There were just so many things that I would rather be doing.

I ran my tongue over my fangs, that small itching my gums and tingle in my throat staying steadfast.

I guess I'll have to take a raincheck on my scheduled hunting, that is if Khloe doesn't bring it up again.

God, I really hope she doesn't. I was partially happy that our conversation was interrupted since I knew she would insist on me drinking from her instead no matter what.

As much as I body craved that from her, especially now that she was mine, I still didn't want to hurt her like that.

And I really didn't like telling her no.

My head turned as the redhead gently grabbed my hand.

I didn't even hear her approaching...

She looked up at me with wide, worry-filled eyes.

"Do you know what he wants?" she asked.

I smiled softly at her, squeezing her hand lightly at her concern before intertwining our fingers.

"Yeah. I think so. I hope I'm wrong though," I muttered the last half.

I don't know what else this could possibly be about.

Every other problem he's had with me he usually just brought up during the family meals.

Which is why I rarely had Khloe join me during meals, which luckily wasn't too strange since Xander didn't usually bring Doe either.

But just what made this topic so special that he needed to drag me from my already limited free time?

I was planning to make the hunting trip as quick as possible so I could spend some time with Khloe before it got too late, but now only God knows how long this is going to take.

Knowing my father and knowing the probable topic, I had a feeling it was going to be a long night.

I hadn't even realized my grip was tightening on Khloe until I felt her thumb rubbing against my hand.

"What is it about ?" She questioned.

I didn't answer right away.

This topic wasn't really something that I wanted to bring up while I was with her. I knew she was already self-conscious about our relationship without the fact that I was expected to constantly seek out a wife being thrown at her.

But I didn't want to keep secrets from her either.

I could reassure her as much as needed after the fact.

Reassure her that she's the only one that my heart desired to be with.

Regardless of whatever words were going to come out of my mouth during this conversation...

"I'm guessing it's going to bo something to do with the fact that I'm still currently lacking a wife," I said.

I watched a sad expression cross her face for barely a moment.

"Oh," Is all she said as a response, her shoulders stiffening just enough to be noticeable.

I brought her hand up to my lips and placed a kiss on it, only pulling it away a little bit before speaking my next words

"It'll be fine. it's nothing that I haven't already been through," I spoke softly.

My gesture got her to relax a little.

"I know but-," she stopped, shaking her head before she started again, "Do you want me to go with you?"

Did I?

I knew that this was probably going to be a difficult topic for her to have to listen to, and my father doesn't exactly take things lightly...

Although, depending on how this conversation goes, it would probably be easier to clarify things if she was there for the conversation rather than me trying to explain the whole thing.

But part of me didn't really want her to witness this.

I had a very short fuse when it came down to my father, although, maybe having her there would calm me down.

Maybe.

"Do you want to come?" I asked, deciding that it would probably be better for her to make this decision.

She blinked in uncertainty.

"Is there any reason that I shouldn't?" She asked.

I shrugged lazily, kissing her hand again.

"Not unless you really don't want to watch my father scream at me."

A nervous and worried look crossed her face once again.

Sometimes I forget that not everyone has the same family life that I have.

Or maybe I forgot that it was considered strange that I was used to this sort of thing.

"I-I'll go." She finally said, not sounding confident by any means.

"Are you sure?" I asked, squeezing her hand.

She nodded, offering me a small smile.

"Alright," I sighed out, "Let's go."

~~~

I didn't even glance at the guards as they opened the ridiculously tall doors leading to my father's throne room.

His eyes lifted from his relaxed position upon it as I walked in, Khloe two steps behind me.

Luckily it was more common for royal pets not to have leashes. It's believed that royal pets are so well trained and behaved that there's no need for them.

Or in my case it's just less demeaning for Khloe.

Being admittedly curious, I let my eyes wander around the room.

I was interested in what my father might have done to the room that he so desperately tried to make me want before he realized that I wasn't going to give in anytime soon.

Surprisingly, it didn't look like he did a whole lot.

He still kept the curtains pulled back on the window that basically replaced the wall behind his throne and my mother's empty throne right beside him.

I guess I wasn't used to being in the presence of a Lord that wasn't a complete shut-in.

The fact that this room was well lit filled me with an odd sense of comfort.

I guess the fact that Lord Bronwyn kept his as dark as possible had to do with it.

I gazed at the two vampiric guards that stood on the corner of the stairs that led up to the throne, two human slaves standing on either side of the throne as well.

All of them stood staring straight ahead and completely still.

Turning my head, I saw that he still kept two slaves on either side of the entrance.

One of them this time being Marcus.

"Looking for an escape route son?" My father asked, straightening his posture and leaning forward.

I turned to look at him, seeing the content and nearly amused look in his eyes.

"Just getting my bearings, but I can't say the thought hadn't crossed my mind," I responded.

I wasn't trying to be funny, but my father's chuckle sounded quietly.

"You haven't changed, Nicolas," He stated.

I nearly rolled my eyes.

"I take it that's a bad thing?"

He shrugged placing his elbows on his knees.

"I guess time will tell."

The fact that he looked so relaxed sparked something within me, like he had already won and the topic of interest hadn't even been brought up yet.

If there was one thing I hated, it was losing.

He knew it too.

"Anyhow," he began again, tension already thick in the air, "I'm sure you can guess as to why I summoned you?"

Summoned he says. Like I'm just any typical citizen.

I just nodded, figuring that my guess was close enough.

His gaze seemed to intensify on me, his brows lowering.

"Good. I've avoided this topic for a week now since your mother suggested I let you get settled before I brought it up, but I believe I've given you enough time now, so..."

He finished up his words with expectancy in his voice, like we wanted me to answer the question that I already knew was coming.

But why would I give him that satisfaction?

Placing my hands in my pockets, I kept my mouth shut and he eventually got the hint.

"So, Nicolas, tell me. Any luck in completing the one task I gave you before you left?"

Ah yes. The one task he gave me before sending me away, to go off and find a lover.

Well, I guess I did in a sense.

Not that he would be pleased by any means to find out who it was.

I bearly heard Khloe's gulp from behind me.

Her nervousness was still plainly evident, especially since she knew she was the unknown topic of conversation.

At least between her and me.

And although lying to my father had been an art that I mastered long ago, I had been away for nearly a century, so I didn't want to risk him sensing my doubt by giving him a straight up 'no'.

"Don't kid yourself father, I feel like we both already know the answer to that," I answered with a proud smirk.

His eyes narrowed, a barely audible noise rumbling deep in his throat.

"That's too bad," He started, straightening his posture. My own eyes narrowed as he lifted up a folded piece of paper that had formerly been hidden from his lap, "I guess we'll have to move on to plan B then."

Plan B?

I rose a brow as he handed off the paper to the slave on his right, the boy making his way down the steps to me.

I was partially disappointed that my small victory had been caught short, but it seemed that my father had already predicted my lack of cooperation.

Which was understandable.

Lifting a hand from my pocket, I reached out as the slave approached, taking the paper from him before he bowed.

Unfolding it, I brought it closer to my eyes.

My confusion wasn't settled by the time I looked over it.

The paper held two columns, on one side was an abundance of female names. Across from them were dates and times, the first one reading the day after tomorrow at noon and the rest reading various days after.

"What the hell is this?" I asked.

He returned to his relaxed sitting position.

"That is you're next assignment, Nicolas. On the designated dates and times, you are to meet with those women. Spend time with them, get to know them. Date if you would."

My brows furrowed as I looked back over the list.

There had to be over forty names here.

Forty names that would be taking more of my precious limited free time away from me.

Time that I had better and more important people to spend with.

The fact that he was basically just handing me around to all these different women wasn't even my main concern. Although that fact did piss me off as well.

I tuned in to Khloe's racing heartbeat.

I didnt even have to look at her to know that this idea made her uneasy.

"I refuse," I stated, lowering the paper.

"I'm afraid you don't have that right, son."

Well, that was bullshit.

"As Prince of this city, I believe I do."

In fact, I was one of the only people alive in this city that could deny the will of the Lord, as long it was in everyone's best interest.

And this topic had little to do with the cities best interest.

My father's growl rang through the room, causing everyone else in here to stiffen.

"As Prince of this city and the only true heir to my throne, this should have been something that you took care of a century ago. I'm doing what must be done since you seem to be incapable or just not willing to do it yourself. As Prince of this city and my son I-"

"Oh cut it with the 'son' shit," I snarled, spitting the word out like venom, "You haven't treated me like anything except a person whos only purpose in life was to marry off and take your sorry ass' place on the throne since I hit my first century. Hell, dad, you summoned me as you would any other citizen in this castle and you honestly have the nerve to-"

My sudden outburst was cut short the moment my throat was forced shut, the all too familiar feeling of my father using his higher power to silence me and restrict my movements spreading through my body.

The power took its effect on my nervous system quickly, making my entire body believe that I was moments away from death.

My mind, however, has long since been used to this, despite the fact that I couldn't breathe.

I was more worried about the fact that I could hear Khloe's sudden panic.

I glared at my dick of a father to the best of my abilities, seeing his serpent-like pupils stare directly back at me.

His face showed nothing but a subtle hint of anger.

The attack on my body stopped a moment after his eyes returned to normal, finally allowing me to take in a breath.

I was about to say something snarky but quickly decided against it.

An angry Lord was something only a few vampires wanted to tamper with, even a prince.

And although that rarely stopped me, I decided it would best for me to keep quiet for now.

For Khloe's sake.

"Fine," My father said, rising from his place on the throne. Surprise filled the vampiric guard's eyes as he casually makes his way down the steps close to me.

I heard my joints on my fingers crack as I tightened my hands into fists, the hair on my neck rising and my nails threatening to sharpen

"You want me to treat you more like my son? Fine. Let's take this somewhere more family oriented."

A growl left my throat as he walked past me without a second glance.

I was already pissed and the fact that I was curently blood-thristy didnt exactly help.

Fine.

I turned my head back to the slaves by the entrance.

"Marcus," I called amidst my growl.

The already shaken boy stood straighter and took a step forward at my call.

"Take her back to my room, please," I said, gesturing to Khloe.

Khloe's eyes shot open wide as our as they met with mine.

"Of course, Prince Nicolas," Marcus responded, hastily walking past my father to get to her.

I sent Khloe a small hidden smile before Marcus reached her.

I turned towards my father as soon as he stood behind her, prepping myself for whatever hell was about to be unleashed on me for saying what I did.

And although I really couldn't care less what was going to happen, it was definitely going to be something that I didn't want Khloe to be present for.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 76 37
(( NOW AVAILABLE TO BUY ON AMAZON)) Vampire love story with lots of twists and turns, I hope you enjoy it!! Life wasn't too bad for Willow, she had j...
31.2K 821 25
* Vampire x Human au * THIS BOOK CONTAINS MATURE CONTENT LIKE SEXUAL LANGUAGE/ CONTENT AND VIOLENCE, RAPE, MENTION OF BLOOD In a world where vampires...
22.9K 1K 34
(Book 2 in the 'Blood Drops' series) Five drops for the vampires who drink it. Four for the creatures who relish in it. Three for the strong who take...
51.7M 2.1M 88
The world had gone to hell long ago, taken over by the vampire race. In order to keep some sort of peace in our land, the Vampire Lords made a consec...