Star's Crossing

By Madeleine_Graves

{WATTY'S 2020 WINNER & EDITOR'S PICK.} Hopeless romantic and aspiring writer Mare Atwood has fallen madly in... More

Dear Reader,
The First Letter
1: The Courting Season Begins
2. Girls in Storms Should Not Be Trusted
3: Books Make Fine Hostages (And Better Bribes)
4: Of Rumors and Roses
5: Lavish and Irreverent
6: A Farewell So Mysterious
7: Meant to be Broken
8: The Blood of Enemies
9: The Devils Are All Here
10: Wine is Thicker than Water
11: The Chase Begins
12: A Player Yet
13: Too Curious, Too Clever
14: Courageously Onward
15: The Truest Masks
No Chapter, Headed to CA Camp Fire. Please Read!
16: The Heart, Once Compromised
17: Our Doubts Are Traitors
18: The Girl and the Wolf
19: Champagne, Like Stars
20: Not Entirely Proper
21: No Decadent Vice
22: Of Our Own Making
23: A Sundial in the Shade
24: A Pitied Creature
25: Another Voice Silenced
26: This is the Game
27: Mysteries
28: The Fall
29: Something Wicked This Way Comes
30: In Which All is Fair
32: Unrequited
33: Thatcher House
34: The World a World Away
35: A Coward and a Selfish Man
36: Prey and a Fruitless Chase
37: Hers
38: The Girl She Was
39: No Map, No Compass
40: A More Dangerous Path
41: A Courter of Fate
42: Teach Me to Bite
43: This is Surrender
44: What a Man
45: Daring, Brave, and Beautiful
46: The Long Journey
47: All Inferno Requires
48: The Singular Lover of Remaining Alone
49: Atwoods, Drama, and Masks
50: Leave to Fall or Fly
51: Knives and Poison Over Tea
52: Only a Mystery
53: He Who Has Forsook His Throne
54: There is Time
55: A Stone in One's Path
56: Knights and Queens
57: A Quiet Dreamer
58: Long Wished; Long Awaited
59: Every Ocean She Had Not Crossed
60: This Life, or the Next
61: Possibility, Endless
62: More Things in Heaven and Earth
63: Like Stardust
64: A Good Small Thing
65: Not a Word
66: All of Them, Together
67: A Thing So Fragile
68: I Did, Once
69: Where it All Began
70: The Words
Partnership Bonus Chapter: PANIC
Epilogue 1: From Far-Away
Epilogue 2: Moments Not Spoken Of
Epilogue 3: For Crowds or Pages
Epilogue 4: A Page, a Portal
Epilogue 5: Every Word
Epilogue 6: In the Dark
Epilogue 7: The Dream
Epilogue 8: Fox, All Mischief
Epilogue 9: A Sky Falling
Epilogue 10: For One Forever
Epilogue 11: Ours
Epilogue 12: Mare

31: By Her Name

9.3K 1K 87
By Madeleine_Graves

"What did she say?"

Mare turned, securing her coat over her gown as Teddy descended the parlor stairway. He stopped several feet from her, as though proximity would prove damning to the unwelcome eye. Mare supposed it would.

"She will be all right," Mare said simply, "so long as you and I stay away from one another, that is." Mare looked him over, and was pleased to feel nothing in her blood but tiredness and a dwindling spark of regret. "Shouldn't be terribly difficult, should it?" She turned toward the door.

"Mare."

"Mr. Bridge." She looked back and he'd drawn closer, brow furrowed, lips pressed tight.

"It can be...difficult to discern...feelings." He shook his head, squeezed his eyes shut. When he opened them again, his cheeks were clearly rosy, even in the dim light of the foyer. "We are told what to want and what to do for so long...I don't think we know what to do with true feelings when we come across them."

Mare stared at him. He could not mean what she thought. He could not say what he meant. Mare was sober as a priest, but she felt weightless and unmoored at once, and her heart began to beat out of time. "You mean...your feelings for Lilith."

"Of course." Teddy looked stricken, then, as if she'd slapped him. "Yes, I mean Lilith. And I mean...you."

Now Mare's heart halted in her chest.

"And Camden! And...Geoffrey, I suppose." Teddy's cheeks brightened. "I would never. I could never—"

"Teddy," Mare laughed, relieved and only slightly stung, raising a hand to quiet him. "Please."

He gazed at her pensively, his eyes warmly lucid. "What happened was a result, I think, of the moment. And nothing more."

Mare felt the speed of her heart falter and the pleasure in the back of her mind dissolve. She realized it was unnecessary to remind him that both of them were spoken for, as he'd just declared there was nothing between them. Mare was inclined to believe this. After all, she'd never felt much more for Theodore Bridge than irritation or curiosity. Not when she'd met him on the road in the rain, or when he'd danced with her at the ball, or even when he'd stood by the white pavilion, drenched in sunlight and the sweet cloying scent of star jasmine, Shakespeare on his tongue.

Now Mare's cheeks warmed, as an alien and foolish thought rose in her mind. Staring at Theodore Bridge in the Renaissance light of the foyer, she forced it away. Teddy merely watched, his expression thoughtful.

She struck up the courage to speak, selecting her words carefully. "Camden and I are...well- matched, though it may not be obvious." She reminded herself of Teddy's black-eyed cousin, the blade of his wit, the darkness of his heart, and the depth of their letters. No matter what she thought or, foolishly, felt, Camden Doores was Mare's future as much as he was her past. "I think you will find we're quite happy."

"Of course." Teddy's brows rose. "I did not mean to imply otherwise."

"Certainly." Mare hugged her coat to herself, though the breeze drifting through the ajar front door was balmy and rich. "And you and Lilith are much the same. We will all be very happy."

"You nearly sound as though you are convincing yourself."

Mare stared hard at Theodore Bridge, and was almost relieved to discover that mischievous, sharp challenge had returned to him in posture and gaze, and watched in wait, daring Mare to answer.

But she could no longer play his games, and was disinterested in playing along with Camden's and Geoffrey's as well. Not if it would cost her her sanity, her dignity; her friends. And that's what Lilith was, after all, and Alison and Miss Cressida.

And no matter how tempting it was.

"I find I am quite convinced, Mr. Bridge." Mare pulled her coat tight, inclined her head, and turned toward the door. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight, Ms. Atwood."

And for once, Mare wished he'd called her by her name. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

246K 11.6K 35
[2021 WATTYS SHORTLIST] A year ago, Natasha packed her bags and hopped on the first train out of her hometown in Hampshire, England, leaving behind a...
142K 10K 26
[COMPLETED] Two centuries. Two love stories. One holiday season. 1 8 6 7 Every summer since she was eight years old, Nora leaves her home in New York...
31.8K 1.1K 43
ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ꜱɪɢɴ ᴀ ᴅᴇᴀʟ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟ ᴀɴᴅ ʙᴀᴄᴋ ᴏᴜᴛ, ɴᴏᴛ ɪꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ʟɪᴠᴇ. The Land Of Merthia - once a place full of serenity, now a place full of...
183K 9.1K 39
Sugar McKenzie and August Wakefield couldn't be more different - Sugar, a meticulous, caring, but lonely paramedic and August, a charming former real...