Tears Of Cinderella

By GenieRavago

Kings... Queens... Princes... Princesses... In the modern 21st century, monarchy only exists in various coun... More

Prologue: The Beginning
Chapter 1 - The Sinister Rogue Prince
Chapter 2 - The Royal Ball
Chapter 3 - The Runaway Cinderella
Chapter 4 - The Chevalier
Chapter 5 - Finding Cinderella
Chapter 6 - Finding Cinderella
Chapter 7 - Cinderella's Secret
Chapter 8 - The Bid of the Night
Chapter 9 - The First Date
Chapter 10 - Under the Stars
Chapter 11 - The Infamous Prince Tristan
Chapter 12 - The Flying Cinderella
Chapter 13 - Double Despair
Chapter 14 - Beautiful Trauma
Chapter 15 - Cinderella's Sweet Surrender
Chapter 16 - Contessa de Farmezza
Chapter 17 - The Royal Tragedy
Chapter 18 - The Teasing Game
Chapter 19 - The Royal Wedding
Chapter 20 - Tensions in the Palace
Chapter 21 - Mars Ultor
Chapter 22 - The Big Revelation
Chapter 23 - The Coldness of Asphodel
Chapter 24 - Sadness and Despair
Book 2: Chapter 25 - The Rogue Prince's Guilt
Chapter 26: Another Once Upon a Time...
Chapter 28 - The Winter Ball
Chapter 29 - Cinderella's Rebirth
Chapter 30 - The Offer
Chapter 31 - The Aftermath
Chapter 32 - Skeletons in the Closet
Chapter 33 - The Countess
Chapter 34 - Tears and Smiles
Chapter 35 - Together at Last
Chapter 36 - Shattered
Chapter 37 - The Aftermath
Chapter 38 - Royal Rumble
Chapter 39 - The Infamous Prince Tristan
Chapter 40 - The Final Trial
Epilogue - The Happy Ever After

Chapter 27 - Life goes on

10K 228 41
By GenieRavago

"Your Highness, you have a meeting today with the Duchy Council of Asphodel at 2:00 pm."

Mariing tinitigan ni Gareth ang kanyang Executive Secretary. "Who arranged that one?"

Napaurong ito sa tono ng pananalita niya. He had heard of the rumors before he took in this job. Apparently, the mayors and other local officials of Asphodel didn't know the word respect. Ang mga ito raw ang nagdidigta sa pinalitan niyang Viceroy kung paano patakbuhin ang lugar. And judging by the stats, they were not doing a good job.

The economic rate of the duchy had gone down in the past ten years. The only thing that this duchy was actually profiting from was their fisheries. Taon-taon may humigit kumulang dalawang milyong toneladang isda ang inaangkat nila sa mga karatig na duchy. This actually boiled down to a very serious case of mismanagement.

Recent study showed that Asphodel had many mineral resources like diatomite and sulphur. Isa ito sa mga una niyang pagtutuunan ng pansin. It was highly unusual for a very cold place like Asphodel to have enormous deposits of Sulphur. It will be only be possible if the whole duchy was sitting on highly viscous molten rocks. If his thoughts were right, then the duchy was actually looking forward tapping an enormous resource of geothermal energy which could potentially increase the renewable energy of the duchy. It looked like he had to dispatch an excavation team the soonest to prove his theory.

"Do I need to repeat myself? Who set this meeting?"

His Executive Secretary was now trembling. Ngunit nanatili pa rin itong tahimik.

"Then, I guess I have to find out myself."

Tumayo siya mula sa kinauupuan. Mabilis niyang tinahak ang meeting room.

He quickly opened the door only to be astonished by the scene in front of him.

The mayors from forty eight districts were already there. Apparently, the meeting had started without him.

Nagtagis ang kanyang bagang sa naabutan. There was an old man standing at the pedestal. He was presiding the meeting and talking about things that he knew were nothing more than bull shits.

Napansin nito ang kanyang presensysa.

"Ah... The young prince was already here. Have a seat your highness." Turan nito sa isang bakanteng upuan sa isang bakanteng upuan malapit sa unahan.

He didn't move. He just looked at the man intensely.

His defiance had caught the attention of the man.

"Is there something wrong?" he innocently said.

He sounded very polite but he saw through his façade. Alam niyang pagpapakitang respeto lamang ang ginagawa nito dahil sa status niya.

"Get. Out. Of. There." He silently said.

But despite the sounding whisper of his voice, his statement still flew all around the room.

"I beg your pardon, your highness. I didn't quite catch that one?"

"Are you deaf? I said get out of there," he stressed each word one at a time.

Mukhang namatanda ang lalaki. Nag-atubili muna ito but in the end he conceded. Ito na ang naupo sa upuang tinuran nito kanina.

Agad naman siyang tumayo sa Pedestal.

"Who arranged this meeting?" he dangerously said.

Namuo ang nakakabinging katahimikan sa bulwagan.

Minutes have passed ngunit wala pa ring nagsasalita. The eerie feeling of danger was surrounding the place.

"Do I have to repeat myself?"

Nagtaas ng kamay ang matandang kaninang nasa posisyon niya.

"Does it matter, your highness. Hindi ba't ang mahalaga ay nagpupulong tayo."

He earned nods from the other mayors there. Judging by the circumstances, he knew already who called the meeting.

"And you are?" tanong niya.

"My name is Jervis Hemmington, Count of Hemmington, Your highness. I am also the elected chief of the mayors here," he proudly said.

"Do you know who I am?" he coldly said.

Tumungo ito.

"Then if you know, can you tell them who I am?"

"You are the Viceroy of Asphodel."

"You forgot another title of mine Count," he reminded him.

Napalunok ito, "You are also the Third-in-line to the Throne of Pendragon, the Third Prince of the Kingdom."

"Mabuti naman at nagkakaintindihan tayo."

So much had changed in the last five years. He still thought that the royal family was just a nuisance in the government. But he now accepted that the Monarchy was here to stay. He learned to embrace his heritage to use it for his advantage. Ito rin ang dahilan kung bakit niya tinanggap ang maging Viceroy. He wanted to serve the people. Somehow, kahit papaano baka mabawasan ang guilt na kanyang nararamdaman.

"From now on, I will be your Viceroy. No one will by-pass my office. Every meeting and assembly should be first approved by me. Nagkakaintindihan ba tayo?"

Tahimik lang tumungo ang mga ito.

"Goin against me would mean insubordination to the King."

He needed to enforce order as early as now.

"The first meeting will be on the Friday of next week. I want every Mayor to provide my office your accomplishment report from every district. Pag-uusapan din natin doon ang mga proyektong nais kong isagawa."

Tahimik pa rin ang paligid.

"I presume that there are no questions. This meeting is adjourned."

And with his head held up high, agad niyang tinungo ang daan palabas.

Cold shivers immediately went down to Steffanie's spine as the plane touched down.

Hindi pa siya nakakababa pero ramdam na niya ang lamig. Asphodel was really a cold duchy.

Dumungaw siya sa bintana. Everything was covered in snow. How will she work under these conditions? Parang mas gugustuhin na lang niyang matulog sa hotel niya.

"Miss Steff, we have successfully landed."

She was flying 1st class in Pendragon Airs kaya mayroon silang private buttler.

"Thank you for your assistance."

He saw the young steward blush.

Kinuha naman niya mula sa kanyang compartment ang makakapal na jacket.

It's work time for me again.

She carefully put on her fur parka. Nagpunta muna siya sa loob ng banyo to ckeck herself. One thing that she learned as a model, she always needed to look beautiful. And besides, these days, airport fashion was such a hit.

Pinasadahan niya ng tingin ang sarili. She looked lovely.

Kinuha niya mula sa kanyang bag ang isang kwintas.

Tinitigan niya itong mabuti. It was a golden locket. Nasa loob noon ang picture ng ama at ng kanyang anak.

Naalala pa niya noong ibigay nito ng ama. The story behind this necklace made her cry.

The necklace belonged to her mother. When they were together, her mother worked so hard just to give him a gift. Alam niya ang buhay na meron ang ina. She knew that they were poor. But despite that, sinikap pa rin nitong bigyan ng regalo ang taong minamahal.

Isinuot niya ito. Walang iniwang kahit na ano sa kanya ang ina. This was her mother's memento and she wanted to at least feel her presence wherever she went.

She slowly disembarked on the plane. Pagkababa na pagkababa niya, she was immediately attacked by the freezing cold. Asphodel remained true to its record as the coldest place in the kingdom.

 Nanginig na siya sa lamig kaya nagmadali na siyang dumiretso sa shuttle na naghihitay sa kanila.

Agad naman niyang tinawagan ang kapatid.

"Hello, kuya," she called.

"Yep, princess?" sagot naman nito.

"I am here na in Asphodel. How's Kylie?"

"She's with His Grace. Alam mo namang giliw na giliw na ang Duke sa bata."

"Good thing. Salamat nga pala kuya," she said.

"For what?"

"For being there whenever we needed you."

"Ito naman. Para saan pa't naging kapatid mo ako. Kylie is also my niece, we're family," he said.

"Ikaw kasi kuya, mag-asawa ka na rin. Para may kalaro na rin si Kylie," biro niya dito.

He heard his laughter echoing over the phone.

"In time, princess. In time."

"I'm looking forward to that."

"But, princess." Sumeryoso ang tono nito.

"Yes, kuya?"

"Be careful."

"I will," she answered.

"Especially to that man."

"Especially with that man," she reaffirmed.

"Good to hear that."

"Oh siya kuya, I need to go. I'll call you once we're in the hotel."

Doon na niya tinapos ang tawag. Kailangan na kasi nilang bumaba. Naappreciate niya ang pag-aalala ng kanyang kuya. Hindi naman niya ito masisisi, dahil maging siya'y nag-aalala rin. What if bigla na lang magtagpo ang landas nila ni Gareth? Ano kaya ang sasabihin nito? And more importantly, ano ang sasabihin niya?

Agad niyang binura ang mga ito sa kanyang isipan. Gareth may be the Viceroy but Asphodel was a very large duchy. Napakaliit lamang ng posibilidad na muling magtatagpo ang kanilang landas.

Gareth had a goal. Alam na niya kung anong gagawin niya Asphodel. He had already set everything in motion.

Alam niyang makakatulong ng husto ang gusto niyang gawin para sa buong kaharian.

Iniligid niya ang paningin sa loob ng opisina. His eyes focused on the set of hanging frames on the wall. Those were the proof of his achievements.

At the age of twenty-eight, Gareth had attained what others thought was impossible. He graduated the University of Pendragon's Med school with the highest possible honor. And the thing was, he only finished all of his coursework within a span of two and a half years. He was now a certified Doctor of Medicine with specializations on Oncology, Cardio-thoracic Surgery and Optalmology. 

In a short span of time, he and his time had found cure to the diseases which were considered as incurable. He became a medical prodigy. Maging siya ay nagulat sa mga pangyayari. It was if his brain was operating in overdrive. It was as if ideas were just sprawling from his think tank. And just recently, before going to Asphodel, he received another recognition for finding a possible cure for cancer that does not compromise the healthy cells in the body. Ito ang pinagkaabalahan niya sa loob ng limang taon. He cannot afford to sleep nor slack off. If he did, his conscience will just haunt him.

"Your higness, nariyan na po sila," his Executive Secretary said.

Agad naman siyang tumayo sa kinauupuan saka sumunod dito.

Nagpunta sila sa isang bahagi ng Boreas Palace kung saan naroroon ang sariling clinic.

Sinalubong naman siya ng isang matandang babae. It was Nanay Carina.

"Kamahalan, kayo na po ang bahala sa asawa ko," mangiyak-ngiyak nitong sinabi sa kanya.

"Hindi ko na po kasi alam ang gagawin ko. Wala naman po kaming pera," mahigpit nitong hinawakan ang kanyang kasuotan.

Magiliw niyang tiningnan ito.

"Huwag po kayong mag-alala. Gagawin ko ang lahat ng makakaya ko."

"Marami pong salamat Prince Gareth, tanging asawa ko na lang ang meron ako, ayoko pong mawala pa siya sa akin," tuloy-tuloy lang ang pagdaloy ng luha nito.

Mula sa mahirap na pamilya ang mag-asawa ito. All of their children died in a plague forty years ago. Tanging ang dalawang ito na lamang ang magkasamang namumumuhay. They were living in the rural poor area in Gloucester. Nagsasaka ang mga ito sa lupa ng isang maharlika para lamang mairaos ang araw-araw. They lived their life in poverty. Isang kahig at isang tuka.

Nakilala niya ang mga ito nang minsang mapadalaw siya sa Gloucester. Isang kahabag-habag na tagpo ang nadatnan niya. Ayaw tanggapin ng mga ospital na naroroon ang mag-asawa dahil walang maipambabayad ang mga ito. They were just there in the streets, asking for help.

Agad namang naantig ang kanyang damdamin. He took them under his wing. He immediately examined the man in one of the hospitals there. Apparently, the old man, Tatay Silvino, was suffering in a very rare medical condition. May isang malubhang tumor siyang nakita sa puso nito and it was malignant. Upon further observation, he also had stage 2 cancer. Ang tumor na iyon ang nagdudulot ng cancer sa katawan nito.

Agad naman niyang inilipad ang mga ito sa Camelot. He immediately administered his recently discovered medical procedure to kill the cancer.

He observed him for months. He was under his care. Nais niyang siguruhing gagaling ito.

At ngayon nga ang araw na ooperahan na niya ito upang tanggalin ang tumor sa puso ng matanda.

"Nanay, may ipinahanda po akong kuwarto sa taas. Doon po muna kayo," he politely said.

Sisinghot-singhot pa ito, "Maraming salamat po, prince Gareth."

Umiling-iling siya. Hinawakan niya at marahang pinisil ang kamay ng matanda, "Nanay, hindi po ako Prinsipe ngayon. Ako ang doctor ng asawa ninyo." Masuyo niya itong nginitian.

"Salamat po talaga kamahalan."

Ipinahatid na niya ang matanda sa taas.

It's time for him to work. Nagpunta na siya sa loob ng silid. Agad siyang nagpalit ng damit. He needed to be completely clean. After sterilizing, he went to the operating room wearing his scrubs. Suot na rin niya ang kanyang scrub caps at full face mask.

"Doctor Malvin," he greeted his colleague.

"Doctor Pendragon," he greeted back.

There were six people in his team right now. He was the primary surgeon. Doctor Malvin was the second Surgeon. Doctor Gunther was their anaesthesiologist. The three others were all doctors from his team, they will act as surgical assistants.

"Vital stats?"

"All are stable Dr. Pendragon."

Good. Agad niyang tiningnan ang estado ng pasyente. He had been induced with general anaesthesia. Ilang sandali na lamang at sisimulan na niya ang operasyon.

Sa loob ng ilang buwan pamamalagi nito sa Camelot. Tatay Silvino had been positively responding to the meds. Unti-unting nabawasan ang cancer cells sa katawan nito. His only worry right now was the tumor in his heartand the fact that his arteries were clogged.

Napakabihira ng ganitong sakit. Only one in one hundred thousand people ang dinadapuan ang ganitong karamdaman.

His tumor was 3mm in diameter. It grew inside the left atrium at the atrial septum. Hindi ganoon kadaling tanggalin ito dahil sensitibong parte ng puso ang atrial septum. This tissue was the one who divided the upper left and right chamber. Isang kaunting pagkakamali lamang niya ay maaring magdulot ng agarang kamatayan nito. Also, several plaques have been building in the inner walls of his heart's arteries. He needed to perform a triple heart by-pass surgery; otherwise, a sudden heart attack may be imminent. So basically, he will perform two heart surgeries at the same time.

Alam niyang mahirap iyon, actually, it might be impossible. But he knew what to do.

Binigyan na siya ni Dr. Gunther ng hudyat. He was about to start the open heart surgery.

Hinwakan na niya ang kanyang scalpel. He was now in his own world. Walang kahit anong bumabagabag sa kanya. All that matters was the life that was in his hand, nothing more nothing less.

The heart-lung bypass machine was now running.

He made a 10 inch surgical cut right outside his sternum. He immediately created an opening directly to his heart. The aorta was now exposed.

He made a signal to Dr. Malvin. It was time to have the heart stop beating. Oras na para totoong simulan ang trabaho niya.

His hands worked like a miracle.  He immediately grafted the artery. Maayos niyang naisaayos ang lahat. All that was left was the tumor.

He made several more surgical cuts to reach the tumor. Once there, he used only little pressure to quickly remove the tumor.

The operation lasted for almost ten hours.  Wala namang kumplikasyong naganap.

May tuwang naramdaman ang kanyang puso. His team did it once more. Another feat in the medial world. But more importantly, another life was saved.

Nag-inat inat siya. His neck was stiff.

Agad naman siyang sianlubong ni Nanay Carina.

"Kumusta po, doctor."

This was the reason why he loved being the doctor. He loved to deliver the good news to those people who were patiently waiting for the results.

"Makakahinga na po kayo ng maluwag. Successful ang operation ni Tatay. Kailangan lamang niyang makapagpahinga ng ilang linggo dito."

Doon na bumuigay ang mga tuhod nito. Agad naman niyang inilalayan itong umupo. Tears were just free falling from her eyes.

This was what made this job fulfilling.

"Maraming salamat po. Utang naming sa inyo ang lahat."

"Wala po kayong utang. Ito langa ng trabaho ko."

"Siya nga pala. I've arranged everything for you here in Boreas Palace. Dito kayo mamalagi habang nagpapagaling si Tatay."

He wanted to see the happy face of people. He wanted to bring them a ray of hope to the people. This was the main reason he became the Viceroy of Asphodel. Under his leadership, he will this land of ice as the Kingdom's center of medical science.

It was just the third day for Steff. So far, so good. Everything was going well as planned. No speedbumps. And most of all, no unnecessary reunions from the ghost of her past.

 Agad siyang sumabak sa trabaho pagkadating na pagkadating pa lamang niya. She already posed for some local high-end fashion magazines. Ilang photoshoot na rin ang natapos niya. But all of that were just the preliminaries. Magsisimula ang tunay niyang trabaho pa nagsimula na ang Winter Fashion Week.

She will model for twelve designers, including her friend, Valerie. Sa katanuyan, nagtext na nga siya dito. Tinanong niya kung kalian ito darating.

Agad namang sumagot ito. She will be coming two days from now. She said that she'll never miss the Winter Solstice Festival.

Natuwa naman siya dahil matagal-tagal na rin silang hindi nagkikita ng kaibigan.

And speaking of the Winter Solstice Festival, natanggap na niya ang pribadong imbitasyon para sa Winter Ball. Since sinabi ni Valerie na pupunta ito sa event, she might as well join her friend.

Gareth was seating quietly on his office. A war council was on-going. He was live via video conferencing kasama ang iba pang mga Viceroy.

Si Halaena ang nagpe-preside ng pagpupulong na iyon.

"We discovered a movement within the northern boarders. May mga kahina-hinalang aktibidades sa dulong bahagi ng Asphodel. We suspect that it may be one of croons of Fei Long."

Si Halaena na kasi ang Chief-of-staff ng Imperial Military Force. And as of right now, a small friction was on-going between the Fei Long Empire at ng kanilang kahiraan.

She wanted to warn all the Viceroy, lalo na silang nasa boarder lines ng kaharian; ang Asphodel, Frontera, Olympus and Lyonese.

"To the boarders, expect a visit from the military these coming days. We'll reinforce your security there."

"Will it affect any of the citizens?" tanong ni Princess Bedevere. Ito ang Viceroy ng Frontera.

"Nope. Walang magbabago sa pang-araw-araw na pamumuhay ng mga tao. We are just going to check your existing forces."

"What about in case of attacks? Anong gagawin namin, kamahalan?" The question now came from the Viceroy from Olympus, Countess Gwendollyn Earnst.

"Ang ipapadala naming representative ng Military ang bahalang magpaliwanag sa inyo."

"Any other questions? What about you, Duke Ivan James Montecristo? Tanong nito sa Viceroy ng Lyonesse.

"Nope, your higness. I do not have any questions," sagot nito.

"What about the new Viceroy of Asphodel? Prince Gareth?"

"None, dear sister," he said without any emotions.

"Oh, by the way, Prince Gareth. Si Prince Tristan ang pupunta diyan sa iyo."

He couldn't careless kung sino man ang pupunta. It was not his concern right as of the moment. May mga mas importanteng bagay pa siyang dapat gawin.

"Lastly, ako ang personal na pupunta naman sa Lyonesse. Ito ang pinaka malapit na sa Fei Long. I need see if you can hold the enemy in case of an attack."

Wala nang sumabat pa rito.

"I guess, ito na ang lahat. War Council meeting adjourned."

That ended their conversation. Agad naman siyang tumayo. He guessed he should prepare for Tristan's arrival.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 54.2K 34
Broke and unemployed Jade Chimera hits the jackpot when she finds out her dead uncle left his mansion to her. One problem: her uncle's stepson, Kenji...