Stoneweaver

By GarethLewis

The world flooded, and only small peaks now rise above the water, with civilization confined to waterborne ci... More

Stoneweaver - Prologue
Stoneweaver - Chapter 1
Stoneweaver - Chapter 2
Stoneweaver - Chapter 3
Stoneweaver - Chapter 4
Stoneweaver - Chapter 5
Stoneweaver - Chapter 6
Stoneweaver - Chapter 7
Stoneweaver - Chapter 8
Stoneweaver - Chapter 9
Stoneweaver - Chapter 10
Stoneweaver - Chapter 11
Stoneweaver - Chapter 12
Stoneweaver - Chapter 13
Stoneweaver - Chapter 14
Stoneweaver - Chapter 15
Stoneweaver - Chapter 16
Stoneweaver - Chapter 17
Stoneweaver - Chapter 18
Stoneweaver - Chapter 19
Stoneweaver - Chapter 20
Stoneweaver - Chapter 21
Stoneweaver - Chapter 22
Stoneweaver - Chapter 23
Stoneweaver - Chapter 25
Stoneweaver - Chapter 26
Stoneweaver - Chapter 27
Stoneweaver - Chapter 28
Stoneweaver - Chapter 29
Stoneweaver - Chapter 30
Stoneweaver - Chapter 31
Stoneweaver - Chapter 32
Stoneweaver - Chapter 33
Stoneweaver - Chapter 34
Stoneweaver - Chapter 35
Stoneweaver - Chapter 36
Stoneweaver - Chapter 37
Stoneweaver - Chapter 38
Stoneweaver - Chapter 39
Stoneweaver - Chapter 40
Stoneweaver - Chapter 41
Stoneweaver - Chapter 42
Stoneweaver - Chapter 43
Stoneweaver - Chapter 44
Stoneweaver - Chapter 45

Stoneweaver - Chapter 24

33 0 0
By GarethLewis

Welden had been right about how easily she could return to Melmyrn. As soon as the island had started appearing, and Andira still had trouble coming to terms with the sight, the city had lost all interest in the Trident.

They'd sailed a short way away, and waited until the ship had sailed from the city to the island, then circled around to one of the rear docks. The island had become the focus of attention, so no one had paid them much attention, but she'd ordered her men to stand ready to sail should they be noticed, and to leave without her at the first sign of trouble. But she'd begun to accept Welden's read on how things would proceed. She certainly agreed on how Thortus would react.

The streets seemed alight with rumours of the apparition, although Thortus' men and the gangs had apparently crowded the best spots from which to see it, so many people took advantage of their absence on the streets.

She didn't risk some of them still being around, though, so chose her path with care, and moved as unassumingly as possible through the streets.

She reached Elder Durnam's street without incident, and after double-checking for observers, she approached his door.

It edged open a crack, quickly opening wide enough for her to slip in as the mildly shocked Durnam moved aside, manoeuvring his stick out of her way as the door took his weight. He shut it behind her, and ushered her into the main room. "You risked coming back this soon?"

"It doesn't appear to've been much of a risk," she hesitated as she entered the room, tensing briefly until her eyes adjusted to the gloom enough to recognise Boryan and Tengrys. She exchanged a firm nod with them.

Boryan, broad and sturdy, with a large bushy black beard, and little hair on top, worked the docks, and organised most of the dockworkers and sailors who formed part of the resistance. Tight-lipped and thoughtful, he tended to let the others lead the conversation.

Tengrys, conversely, barely reached Boryan's shoulder when standing, and barely half as wide. Working on the streets in a not entirely clear capacity, he had contacts among the poorest, and knew where to round up the most willing to fight within those communities. He tended to be more verbose, but she knew him well enough to know he'd never give secrets away, and would always learn more than he revealed. Questioning everything, he'd nevertheless have suggestions for any flaws he found. His twitchy movements seemed more animated than usual.

"Besides, Welden says our opportunity may come soon," Andira continued. "Within hours. How quickly can we get everyone organised?"

"Some are already being organised," Tengrys said with a bitter twist to his mouth. "Just not by us. Looks like Thorvus' men are trying to recruit temporary troops. W'think they're plannin' to invade."

Nodding, Andira sat as Durnam returned to his seat. "That's what Welden expected him to do," she said. "Why he wanted the city following us."

"And what," Durman asked, "does he expect that to gain us. Is he intending that Thortus and Narvon's forces wear each other out enough we can beat them?"

"To a degree. But there's more than that. For the moment I can't share it all." No one objected to this, since they all had secrets from the areas they covered, so they couldn't be compromised if one of them was forced to talk. She laid out as much as she could. "When they invade, they should be taking most of their men with them. We'll have to deal with those left, but it shouldn't be many. I'll need a force to accompany me, following the invasion force onto the island, while you get Melmyrn clear. The helmsmen will cooperate?" she asked Durnam.

He nodded. "I've spoken with the senior helmsmen. As long as we can promise victory, or a good chance thereof, they'll go along with us."

"Do we have to send men onto the island?" Tengrys asked. "Wouldn't it be better to keep them here where we can defend the place?"

"There are still slaves on that island. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not just looking to free one city. I see Melmyrn as my home too, but the problem isn't limited here, and if we don't face the bigger problem, we won't hold out no matter how many people we have. The tyrants have always seized control by using Stoneweavers as their weapons. Welden says Narvon has at least a dozen and a half of them."

"That many!?" Tengrys said.

"He apparently keeps the orphans he finds with the ability, although some must develop it later. Welden also says Narvon won't want word of his island getting out to the other cities, so he could well try and take Melmyrn for his own. And with that many Stoneweavers do you really think we'd hold out against him."

The concerned looks around the table answered her.

"If we've no chance to face them here," Boryan said, "what makes you think we'd do any good on th' island? Not that I'm against goin' to the aid of our brothers, y'understand."

"Welden's plan is to neutralise Narvon's power."

"So our people'd be a distraction?" Tengrys said.

"In a way," Andira admitted. "But so will Thortus' men. Unfortunately, if they're going to be made up of a lot of our people, then our best bet would be to go to their aid, so our greater numbers might give them a better chance. And at that point, Thortus' men shouldn't know we'll turn against them."

None of them felt the plan favoured them to a comforting degree, but all knew it would be the best opportunity they'd get soon, and with a Cleansing imminent, they had to take advantage of it with every resource at their disposal.

With plans made, they departed about their tasks, hoping they'd see each other alive again.

Andira strode towards the nearest docks, intending to make almost a circuit as she spoke to ship captains she could trust. In case the invasion, and Welden's plan, failed, they'd need a contingency to make Narvon less interested in them. If he came after them to keep knowledge of his island secret, then they'd need to get word of it to as many other cities as they could before he could act. He had a few ships, which could be nearby, but if she could get as many ships as possible sailing out at the same time, in all directions, then enough should reach the other cities to make sure his secret got out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

256 13 10
Spending my days in a shitty apartment, working in a dead end job where men think they can treat you anyway they want...sure why not if the price is...
976 51 15
After a nuclear war nearly in 2150 the whole Earth has become uninhabitable for humans. There are some major cities which are still running but have...
74 3 21
This book is is written in the far future were war is raging throughout the world permanently halting all innovations. Humanity wanting to finally br...
8.7K 315 14
This is gonna be my first story, so hope you like it . The story is gonna be about Feldway, not the Feldway we know, and hate. But when he was acqui...