Fragile Hearts (TID - Will He...

By rebourntrees

" 'Who is she?' Jessamine demands. 'She's my Friend,' Jem says calmly. 'My best friend, actually.' 'I th... More

Proluge
Chapter 1: CLOCKWORK ANGEL
Chapter 2: Introductions
Chapter 3: Dust and Shadows
Chapter 4: The Mystery
Chapter 5: Massive Charades Game
Chapter 6: De Quincey
Chapter 7: The Start Of The War
Chapter 8: The Binding Ring
Chapter 9: Not The London Hospital
Chapter 10: The Clockwork Creatures
Chapter 11: Nathaniel Gray
Chapter 12: Mortmain
Chapter 13: Mizpah
Chapter 14: Mrs Dark
Chapter 15: The Automatons
Chapter 16: The Revelations
Chapter 17: The Sanctuary
Chapter 18: Not Your Name
Chapter 19: CLOCKWORK PRINCE
Chapter 20: Hearing Screams
Chapter 21: The Curse
Chapter 22: The Nightmare
Chapter 23: Long Week
Chapter 24: The Periwinkle Demon
Chapter 25: I Know
Chapter 26: The Lightwoods
Chapter 27: Why?
Chapter 28: To Yorkshire
Chapter 29: At Yorkshire
Chapter 30: Ravenscar Manor
Chapter 31: Return Journey
Chapter 32: Ifrits Den
Chapter 33: Morning
Chapter 35: Masquerade
Chapter 36: Schlange
Chapter 37: German
Chapter 38: Life Source
Chapter 39: The Metal Explosion
Chapter 40: The Beginning of Hope
Chapter 41: 16 Cheyne Walk
Chapter 42: Confessions
Chapter 43: Demon Pox
Chapter 44: The Bridge and the Sky
Chapter 45: Dinner
Chapter 46: CLOCKWORK PRINCESS
Chapter 47: The Worm
Chapter 48: The Sister
Chapter 49: The Drug
Chapter 50: Woosley Scott
Chapter 51: Consul's Visit
Chapter 52: The Lightwood Brothers
Chapter 53: Burnt Hands
Chapter 54: Anything For Love
Chapter 55: Jessie's Return
Chapter 56: Tell Me
Chapter 57: That Is What It Means
Chapter 58: Not Dead Yet
Chapter 59: Goodbyes
Chapter 60: First Days of a Long Journey
Chapter 61: Parabatai
Chapter 62: The Fight With Werewolves
Chapter 63: The Knife and Blood
Chapter 64: The Small Welsh Town
Chapter 65: The Making Of The Plans
Chapter 66: The Worrying Process
Chapter 67: Take the Leader Out and his Pack is Yours
Chapter 68: The Aftermath of a Battle
Chapter 69: Waking Up
Chapter 70: Recovery From Tragedy
Chapter 71: Merry Christmas
Chapter 72: The Lovalaces
Chapter 73: Learn To Bear It
Chapter 74: The Christmas Gifts
Chapter 75: Back To Origins
Epilogue (Part 1)
Epilogue (Part 2)
๐Ÿค˜Author's Note๐Ÿ™ƒ

Chapter 34: The Actor

1.5K 60 15
By rebourntrees

CASPIAN'S POV
I am in the training room when they enter. Gideon and Gabriel Lightwood. I have never met them before, but I know that Ella holds them in high regard.

I tilt my head sideways at them, sweat beading down my neck.

"You must be Gideon and Gabriel Lightwood," I say casually, laying down my knife.

"That we are," Gabriel, the taller yet younger of the two says.

"And you are?" Gideon asks in an almost bored tone.

"Caspian."

I am used to acting. The only person who I can't act in front of is Ella. She knows me too well. We had trained together for about twelve years. We both knew what the other was going to do before we did it.

"We've never heard of you," Gabriel says, scowling.

  I'm amused, but I don't show it. I simply look confused.

  "I've been staying here for a while now," I say.

  Sophie enters the room, and I notice the way Gideon tracks her movements. Ella is right beside her of course, grinning as Sophie tells her something.

  Sophie falls silent when she realises that Gideon is looking at her, and Ella finally takes note of her surroundings. She tends to miss out on certain details at times.

  "Caspian? What are you doing here?" She asks. I can tell from her face that she's remembering what happened between us in the morning. I'm always the better one at hiding emotions.

  "I was training," I say innocently.

  "Is that why you weren't at breakfast?" Ella frowns.

  I smile. "You worry too much. I wasn't hungry."

  Ella rolls her eyes and goes over to the Lightwoods.

  "That's my Brother," She says simply.

  Gabriel's eyes widen, and Gideon raises an eyebrow.

  "Interesting," is all he says.

  Then Will and Tessa enter. I look over at Ella. As usual, it only takes one look for her to understand me.

  "We'll see you two later," Ella whispers to the Lightwoods, then heads to my side.

  "What are you two doing here?" Will asks us.

  His eyes linger on my sister. How blind she is, not realising that the boy in front of her and behind her both love her.

  "Just saying a quick greeting," Ella smiles at Tessa. "What are you doing here?"

  "I decided to watch them train," Will says, sneering.

  I blink, faking confusion.

  "Come on, Caspian," Ella says. "Let's leave them to their training."

  I shrug and follow Ella out.

  "I'm going to meet Jem," Ella says. "What are you going to do?"

  "Just walk around," I say casually, smirking. "I'll see you at night?"

  "You know I'll be there," Ella says, laughing.

  She has our mother's laugh. Pure, melodious and rich with love at times. Our Mother was a Starkweather. Aloysius Starkweather was her Grandfather. Even so, Ella and I usually dismiss the fact that we're related to the Starkweathers, as do they.

  We both take after our Father more. The Nightstorm family originated from Germany. That's where Ella got her blue-green eyes and where I got my blond hair from. My eyes are my mother's, and so is Ella's hair. But we are more similar to our Father.

  "If you say so," I laugh.

~

As I walk the streets of London, I'm reminded painfully of the last time I saw my Mother. The day I left. She saw me leaving, and she had smiled.

"Go," she whispered. "You'll come back eventually."

I push open the door to the old house. It's made of dark red bricks, and looks abandoned. To mundanes, it's a family manor. An abandoned one.

I run a hand through my hair as the door closes shut behind me without a sound.

I head up the red carpeted stairs, and then head into the dining area.

The long table has been set up, of course. Members of the Gericht are seated at their respective seats.

I take mine at the right of the head.

"Great. We're all here."

Father appears, smiling deviously, taking his seat at the head of the table.

Everyone else is silent.

"What are the reports?"

"Both of our Schlangen haven't reported anything," the Rabe says. "We have no new information."

"And no one is on the matter?" Father's voice is calm and yet his scowl is vicious. He turns to me. "What about your Sister?"

"If I understood correctly, she isn't a schlange anymore," I say harshly. "We had a deal, did we not?"

Father smiles maliciously. "That we did. You haven't fulfilled your bargain, though."

"Why do you even need the Herondale boy?" I ask. "What is he to you?"

"He is someone in the way of important plans," is all Father says. "Chamäleons, search for the schlangen. I want news. And Krähe, I want the Herondale boy."

I clench my fists, standing. "Then you shall get him. That is, if you break my sister's ring and return her her life source."

Father's eyes widen. "How do you know?"

"Communication, Father," I growl.

"I'm afraid I can't do what you have requested. She needs to do something for me as well," Father says. "You cannot do anything to blackmail me. You die and she dies."

I feel like I'm being stabbed in the chest repeatedly. She is my only weakness.

"And if I do it... you'll give me my life source back? You'll break the tie?" I finally manage to say, covering up my emotions.

Father smirks. "Now you're getting it. Yes, I will."

He is a liar. But he's the only one who can disable the connection and give us back our life source.

"Fine then."

  "And I want her there tonight. I already told her, though."

  I grit my teeth together.

~

I return to the Institute, the taste of wine still lingering.

I feel giddy. I stumble into my room.

I collapse onto my bed. And I shut my eyes.

  "She will pay for what you did."

  "No!" I shout, running forward. "FATHER, NO!"

  But it was too late. The blade drove its way into her chest, and I heard her cough, spluttering blood onto the ground. Blood soaking her white dress, her face paling. Her blue-green eyes seeming to be slowly losing their life.

  Father grinned maniacally. "Your turn."

  I run toward Ella, catching her before she falls to the ground, tears streaming down my face.

  Suddenly I feel searing pain. My chest feels like it's exploded. I look down, and gasp upon seeing the tip of a knife protruding from it.

  Ella somehow could scream as I slumped down next to her.

  Suddenly we were wrapped in each other's arms, dying together.

  I shoot up, eyes opening, blinking, my heart racing. The same nightmare. It's been the same one for a week now. I thought I'd at least have gotten used to it.

  "Caspian?"

  My door creaks slightly as it is opened.

  I blink and see Ella there. She's dressed in a black dress.

  I push my hair back, standing slowly.

  "I'll meet you at the gates," I say.

  Ella nods simply.

~

  I meet Ella and we both head out, undetected.

  Father's carriage is outside, hidden. We climb in and the driver takes off.

  Ella pulls out her stele, turning to me.

  "Turn away," She says.

  I turn my head away from her, and on my neck, she draws an Agility rune.

  I take the stele from her when she's done, the burn of the rune still stinging my neck. I draw a replica of the one she drew on her neck.

  "We address each other the way we're supposed to," I say. "Remember that. The Lightwoods will be there too."

Ella nods. "They know of our involvement. It's how I met with them in the first place. Krähe."

"Shlange," I address.

~

We step out when we arrive at the Lightwoods' house in Chiswick. The house looks awfully quiet, but then again, it's supposed to.

Ella and I both put on our masks, smirking at each other. In our Father's events, we're both different people. Merciless, vicious, powerful and sly. Exactly what our Father wants us to be.

Ella's mask is elaborate, silver, standing out against her auburn hair which is tied neatly in plaits, and her black dress. You can still see the blue-green of her eyes, though. My mask is silver like hers, and my black evening dress is expensive and we match each other.

"Let's go," Ella says.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

353K 10K 39
โhappiness can be found in the darkest of timesโ€š if one only remembers to turn on the lightโž - Albus Dumbledor...
287K 6.3K 33
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
93.6K 2.1K 28
[book two of two] Just like the title says, well... also with some sarcasm included. *read first book first, or else it will be confusing*
23.8K 763 16
๐“๐‡๐„ ๐‚๐‹๐Ž๐๐„ ๐–๐€๐‘๐’ ๐‡๐€๐•๐„ ๐„๐๐ƒ๐„๐ƒ. the jedi are being hunted and the clones have turned to the empire, well, most of them at least. the...