Dusk & Dawn

Von jessikawolfe

[Songs included 🖤] A fiercely ambitious university girl. A haunted, tattooed bad boy. And a whole lot of s... Mehr

Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Thank you

Chapter 1 & 2

68.5K 874 198
Von jessikawolfe

Spotify Playlist of all the song through the book can be found here:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7iM8RPGIihS0bjzimpuMKg?si=49155035be31492c

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heat encircled my throat, constricting like a vice. My desperate wheezes struggled to form a scream for help. The walls seemed to close in, and darkness crept along the edges of my vision. Not again. I can't survive another time.

My heart pounded in my chest, threatening to burst through my skin. His gaze lowers, eyes ablaze with anger, and as his lips part in a snarl...

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

"No..." I gasped.

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

"NO!!!" My voice erupted, sweat cascading down my face. My eyes snapped open in shock. As I gathered my surroundings, I realized where I was, and the incessant beeping was coming from a hidden alarm clock. Lexi must have snuck it into my room while I was sleeping.

That smart-ass, but damn, I loved her. Ever since we met in the guidance counselor's office on the final day of high school, she had been looking out for me. Since university orientation, the nightmares had resurfaced. Stress triggered them, just stress.

I mentally reminded myself to avoid creepy shows from then on. After knocking over my guitars and a stack of vitamins, my searching fingers finally located the annoying alarm clock, and I silenced it. Peace, at last. Thank the Lord tap-dancing Christ!

"Quinn?" Lexi tapped on the door.

"Are you up, or did you manage to turn off that fantastic alarm in your sleep?" I heard the faint smirk in her voice. Maybe if I pretended to still be asleep, she would leave without me.

"Quinn?" The door creaked open, and I lay still, my eyes squeezed shut, willing them not to betray me by twitching beneath my lids.

"Up and at 'em! We've got classes to attend and boys to ogle... I mean, seriously hot uni boys to meet." Her voice singsonged as she jumped onto my bed, her fingers finding my sides, tickling until I couldn't help but laugh.

"Okay, okay, Lex, I'm getting up." I sat up, and she took a seat at the edge of the bed, her hand close to mine.

She knew I wasn't fond of being touched, so she kept a slight distance. She didn't know everything about my past, but she knew more than most.

"Are you okay? Nervous about something?" I didn't want to worry her because her overprotective instincts would kick in, and she would smother me all day long. It was in her genes, being the oldest of three girls.

"Just a little bit. But I'll be fine, really." I put on a brave face as she squinted her eyes, trying to determine if I was bluffing.

"Seriously, Lex, I'm okay. First days are always nerve-racking, especially in a new state. I'll be relieved once I settle into the rhythm of things." I playfully punched her shoulder.

"And we have to check out the gym. I'm dying for some proper workout equipment. No offense, but your resistance bands and door handles aren't a great mix." I giggled, recalling how she used the bands over the summer, only to have them slip and smack her in the face. Her lip swelled for a few days. She scowled but quickly broke into a smile.

"You have a point there, girlie." She flipped her shoulder-length dark brown hair at me, leaving the room, shaking her head.

"Make sure you wear something cute. First impressions matter." She glanced back, winking, indicating I should dress well for the boys.

Ha, boys. They weren't on my radar this year. I wanted to focus on university and work my way into a well-paying job. I didn't have time for distractions.

"We have an hour. Let's get going, Quinnie."

Ah, Lex, always the maternal organizer.

After much debate, I threw on jeans and a hoodie along with my fingerless gloves.

I quickly brushed through my tangled mop of hair and applied my usual amount of eyeliner. I didn't want to attract any unwanted attention today. I was just like any other student here. I was invisible. This was my fresh start. I could handle it.

As I prepared my morning shake, Lexi strolled out of her bedroom in the most feminine outfit imaginable. She wore a bright pink sweater paired with a white floral skirt, white strappy heels adorned with gold jewellery, and her dark hair straightened to her shoulders.

"Ahhh, you looked adorable!" she squealed, twirling to give me the full effect.
"The guys won't know what hit them, Lex." I smiled.
"Yay!" She clapped, brimming with excitement.
"Ready to go? We better hurry, babe." Grinning, Lexi grabbed her car keys and headed toward the front door.
"Here we go," I muttered, tossing my cup in the sink, and followed her out of the dorm, clutching my dog tag nervously around my neck.

CHAPTER 2

I scanned the crowded hallway, unsure of where to look first. The sea of people was relentless, their movements jostling me, leaving me stumbling awkwardly. With every passing moment, it seemed another shoulder collided with my chest or a knee crashed into my thigh. It was as if I were invisible amidst the chaos.

In the movies, they always depicted the girl as graceful, her books tumbling to the ground, only to be rescued by a handsome stranger. A shared smile, a spark of romance, and their lives forever intertwined.

But reality was far from the silver screen. Clumsily, I crouched down, hastily gathering my fallen books from the filthy floor. Not a single handsome stranger offered to help, their gazes barely registering my existence. To be fair, I had intended to blend into the background that day. And in that regard, I had succeeded marvellously.

Carefully arranging my books in the order of my classes, I rose to my feet, feeling the weight of the bell's chime in the air. Couples broke apart from their passionate embraces, bidding each other farewell. Playful punches were exchanged among a group of guys before they parted ways. The girls with their shorts that barely covered their behinds exchanged air kisses and sashayed towards their classes, their voices a constant buzz of chatter.

Through the dissipating crowd, I finally spotted Lexi, who had gotten separated from me during the check-in process. Waving to catch her attention, I navigated my way towards her, deftly weaving through the sea of bodies.
"God, Lex, I was starting to freak out! Here's your class schedule," I said, handing her a meticulously highlighted and underlined A5 piece of paper.

"You're still as anal retentive as ever, Quinn," she chuckled, clearly amused.

"Haha, okay, bitch... We balance each other out," I teased, knowing full well that she found the nickname endearing. 

"Come on, we have English together first. Follow me," I led her towards the lecture room, relying on the map I had diligently printed out the night before.

Unfortunately, we arrived among the last few stragglers, finding all the seats taken except for the front rows. A pang of nerves fluttered in my stomach, aware that lecturers tended to target those sitting up front with questions. It was fine. I would simply listen extra attentively, determined not to embarrass myself. I took a deep breath, trying to calm my racing heart.

"Quinn Eden?" Mr. Robinson's voice called out. I snapped out of my reverie, suddenly aware that I was being addressed. Lexi nudged me and whispered, "It's roll call, dummy."

"Oh, um, yeah," I stammered, raising my hand briefly before pretending to scribble notes on the book in front of me. A girl from one of the middle rows giggled.

"Having trouble staying awake, Eden?" she sneered, popping her gum obnoxiously. I glanced back at her and recognized her as one of the "barbies" from the hallway. I brushed off her comment, turning my attention back to the lecture, determined not to let it distract me. In the midst of the lecture, Lexi was tapped on the shoulder and discreetly handed a note. It felt like we had been transported back to high school.

I was always the ugly duckling while Lexi flourished as the beautiful swan. Back then, we didn't interact much, mostly due to my introverted nature. I was the nerdy girl who spent her free periods engaging in intellectual discussions with the teachers about extra credit assignments. I had hoped that the days of passing notes werebehind us after high school, but judging by the gleam in Lexi's eyes, she was ecstatic to relive those moments. Smiling like an enraptured schoolgirl, it was hard not to feel joy for her. Lexi radiated an infectious enthusiasm that made it impossible not to love her. She nudged my arm and passed the note to me.

"Just wanted to tell you that you look gorgeous today. I saw you at orientation a few months back and never got a chance to introduce myself. I'm Zach =)"

I glanced at Lexi, grinning broadly. She reciprocated, her light brown eyes widening as she fanned herself with her worksheet, her cheeks flushed. I stifled a laugh, pretending to stretch as I discreetly peeked over her shoulder. Not bad—blonde crew-cut hair, captivating blue eyes, and a killer smile. I gave Lexi a subtle wink, silently approving her choice. She started writing back with fervor, her pen flying across the paper.

"She was going to fall for him hard, I just knew it."

Lexi was the kind of girl who easily placed her trust in others and fell in love at the mere mention of a compliment. It had become my duty to be the voice of reason, grilling her potential suitors to ensure they were worthy of her.

One summer break, while Lexi was getting ready in her bedroom, her date arrived early. Seizing the opportunity, I interrogated him, subjecting him to a barrage of questions.
"What were your intentions with my friend? Did you have protection? Did you have a girlfriend?" By the time Lexi and the poor guy left for their date, he seemed ready to flee the apartment. Lexi was furious with me, but it turned out he was a double-timing, two-faced scoundrel, so she forgave my overprotectiveness. Trust didn't come easily for me—it was both a blessing and a curse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! Thank you so much for reading the first 2 chapters🙏🏻

I wrote this in 2012 when I was a stay at home mum with my first born daughter :)
I decided to re-write them now (2023) that I've grown a little.

If you like it don't forget to VOTE
And COMMENT if you want <3

xxx

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

8.5M 290K 55
Nicholas Adams has lived a life of abuse from his alcoholic father and sex addict mother. So growing up was tough. He makes sure everyone fears him...
Fixing the Broken Von e

Jugendliteratur

3.2M 80.8K 44
Carter Miller is a 17 year old girl who started moving around with her mom when her dad died. They end up in her moms hometown for Carter to graduate...
291K 9.5K 43
She doesn't know why bad feels so good... What seems like out of nowhere, Hope Zigler's life has transformed: the normal Georgia life of an aspiring...
61K 1.5K 38
"Do you ever wonder what other people are doing currently, like someone could have won the lottery, someone could be having their last breath. It's m...