By the Sea (Howl x Reader)

By Reader_of_Anime

"Trust me." He spoke . "Why?" I inquired. "Trust me." He empathized. More

Chapter 1: The Letter
Chapter 2: The Festival
Chapter 4: The Walk
Chapter 5: The Dinner Party
Chapter 6: The Search
Chapter 7: The Castle
Chapter 8: Safety
Update babyyyy
Chapter 9: Complications
Not an Update: BUT PLS WATCH THIS
An Apology
Chapter 10: An Agreement

Chapter 3: The Incident

8.9K 357 909
By Reader_of_Anime

!Trigger Warning! This chapter contains scenes of sexual assault and harassment. If depictions of these may be triggering I will put a warning well before the scene so you may skip to a later part in the chapter, I will mark that as well. I am very sorry to not have put a warning sooner, as an author it is my job to do so, I will not make the same mistake in the future. I am sincerely sorry to those who read this chapter without the warning. Thank you to @caprishitxox for bringing this to my attention. I understand that labeling a story as mature doesn't always count as a trigger warning so I again am very sorry for the lack of warning previously.

Read on!

I left out the back of the patisserie and headed down the first alley I saw. Fascinated by all the old architecture I pulled a small notebook and pencil from in between my bodice and my body.

Like I'd go anywhere without these...

I thought as I smiled to myself, flipping to an empty page and beginning to sketch.

As I continued down the alley I came to a cross roads. Looking up from my book I noticed a soldier guarding some goods.

I sped up after making brief eye contact with the soldier.

I'm not unpatriotic, but our soldiers do not have the best reputation. They drink, they're loud, rude and call on every girl they see. And to be quite frank they are rather scary.

However since they're authority no one stops them and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Thankful for avoiding confrontation with the soldier I made it into another narrow alleyway, looking down at my book again.

Periodically I'd peer over my book to take in more of the eclectic alleyway architecture.

I went to flip onto a new page when I bumped into something. Stunned I took a step back to see what I'd bumped into. Once I'd realized what I'd just done all I could do was stand and stare with my mouth hung slightly open.

"I'm so sorry!" I apologized quickly, bowing my head, finally getting it though my head that I'd just bumped into a soldier, and an important looking one at that.

He simply smiled. But not necessarily a warm smile, it felt... off... somehow.

The way he stood, arm propped against the frame of the building looking down on me, made me shrink where I stood.

"What's a little robin like you doing wandering these alleyways?" He leaned in, smile not faltering.

TRIGGER WARNING

"U-um... I was just going to meet someone." I said quietly, not breaking eye contact with him, wanting badly to, but too scared to actually break away.

"Why don't you come inside, I can show you a good time. Before I get sent out I can have at least one good night." He smirked, reaching towards me.

I flinched as he grabbed my hand. I tried to pull away but he yanked me towards him, causing me to drop my book and pencil.

Right as I dropped my things a girl with her hat pulled down to cover her face and a teal dress on scurried past me and the soldier. I felt my heart skip a beat with fear.

No one is going to help me... are they...

"Come now little robin, don't be difficult." He whispered in my ear, seemingly indifferent to the fact that another girl had just passed him.

"Unhand me please!" I commanded with a shaky voice.

Before he could respond the door to the building opened and out came another soldier.

What have I gotten myself into... I'm so selfish I didn't want to go dress shopping and instead wanted go out on my own, but now I've gotten myself into a situation I can't possibly see ending well...

"My, my..." Cooed the second soldier.

He walked around me and took a hold of my left hand, almost playing with it, his hand so much larger in comparison to mine.

"Unmarried, untainted women like you are rare these days." He said sensually, placing a kiss on the top of my hand.

By now tears had welled up in my eyes and I shook my head 'no' vigorously, scared my voice wouldn't come out if I tried to use it.

"Aw come on, you made her cry." The first soldier said jokingly, elbowing his friend.

The second soldier leaned over me.

"I think she's cuter that way." He smiled at me and I wanted so badly to punch him and his friend and run, but I knew I could get in serious trouble with the authorities for harming soldiers.

All I could do was cry in the hands of these corrupt soldiers.

"Why don't we bring you inside and dry your tears." The first soldier came up behind me, whispering into my ear, placing his hands on the top of my hips.

I felt so violated and scared, I didn't know what to do. Too scared to do anything but agree, but not wanting to, I simply stood still in fear.

"Let's get you out of that dress and into something more comfortable." I felt the top button on my dress pop open as the first soldier gently pushed me towards the door of the building.

His friend opened the door, revealing a dimly lit room filled with men, soldiers and half dressed women drinking. I felt a lump form in my throat as I was ushered in and the light of the outside disappeared as the door shut.

It was so loud, the sound of people shouting and talking over the muted sound of a beat up jazz band playing somewhere in another room all at once attacked my ears. It made my head spin.

By this time the second soldier had already disappeared into the thick haze of smoke and crowd of people.

I prayed so badly that the other soldier had left me but I came to my senses when a second button was popped open and I could still feel the hands of the soldier on my hips, gently pushing me through the crowd off to who knows where.

I heard the creak of the door open and looked quickly behind myself, in hopes that someone saw me get forced in and was here to save me.

However, I was severely let down when I saw a group of soldiers and what seemed to be very tipsy women wrapped around the soldiers shoulders. One last person entered as well but once they did the door was shut and the light was gone.

All I could make out was the color of their hair. Blonde.

"This way little robin." I was slapped in the face with reality at the sound of the soldiers husky voice in my ear.

Now's the time to get serious, you have to get out of here!

Using all of the strength I could muster I ripped from the soldier's grip and tried to run, only to bump into another soldier, who simply turned around to see what'd happened before turning and going back to his drink.

Before I could think to even move the first soldier had caught up. He gripped my wrist harder this time, pulling it behind my back as he used his other hand to continue pushing me by my waist.

This is bad... this is really bad...

I looked around for any other possible way of escaping but it was too late. I'd ended up in an empty, poorly lit parlor. The man at the front desk looked at the solider and I before handing the soldier a key.

"Room 15 down the hall sir, enjoy your stay." The man at the front desk said with a smile.

I screamed with my eyes to the man at the desk, knowing if I actually called out I'd regret it later. The man did not seem to know what was going on, or did and purposefully did nothing to stop this from happening.

Why is no one helping me?!

While I was being dragged down a dingy looking hall I looked back in the direction of the parlor and bar from which we came through, hoping someone had seen me in distress, and alas I had some glimpse of hope.

A tall man with blonde hair, a white shirt, black pants and a brilliant pink jacket around his shoulders was walking in my direction.

Unfortunately I couldn't quite make out his face due to the dim lighting and the fact that he was looking slightly to the ground.

I mouthed 'help' to the man, hoping he could at least see me.

He lifted his head, showing me he noticed.

I could almost jump with joy but hearing the click of a door being unlocked cut my celebration short. I turned back to the soldier, seeing now that he'd opened the door to an unclean looking inn bedroom.

Before I could turn to look for the blonde man I felt someone come up behind me and place their hands on my shoulders, it was almost... comforting.

"I believe that this young woman would not like to follow you in there." Who I'm assuming was the blonde man, spoke. His voice was deep and smooth, like music to my ears.

The soldier turned to face the man behind me, his grip still locked on my wrist.

"What's it to you? Huh? I'm in the middle of something." The soldier spat.

"It's everything to me, she's my wife."

I stood there in shock.

Wife?! I get he needed a cover up but that might be a bit much!!

"But she don't got a ring, do she!" The soldier tried to protect his own argument.

"She's forgetful is all, here darling, you left this at home." Swiftly the man behind me used his left hand to pick up mine and his right arm had found its way under mine, picking up my left hand and slipping a beautiful ring on my finger. "Much better." He released my hand and placed his hands back on my shoulders.

The soldier stood in shock, unsure of what to say next.

"Why don't you go make love to something more consenting, a sock perhaps." The man said and I could practically hear  the smirk he had on his face while he spoke.

"Why you-" The soldier cut himself off by standing straight and marching into the room and turning to slam the door.

That's odd...

TRIGGER WARNING END

Out of my periphery I saw the man behind me's hand move while this happened.

Is my savior a wizard?! Thank gosh, he made that soldier go away!

Releasing me from his grip I heard the man take a step back. Before I could turn back around to face him I felt him touch the buttons on the back of my dress.

"Hey-!"

"Much better, there you are." I felt my dress tighten as the buttons were being fastened.

"Oh, thank you." I said in shock, turning to face my savior.

Sure enough it was the blonde man from the hall. His features were dulled in the poor lighting so I still couldn't see him very clearly.

"I can't thank you enough sir, had you not come when you did I think I'd be in some major trouble." I thanked the man, bowing my head slightly in gratitude.

"You still are in major trouble, until you get out of this whore house that is." The man spoke, swiftly walking round so he was next to me. With one motion he extended his elbow smoothly, slipping my hand onto it, making me take his arm.

The man walked forward, navigating back through the parlor, through the crowded bar and back outside into the alley. I hadn't noticed the smell of alcohol and sweat until I finally breathed the fresh air again.

I turned my head slightly up to finally see my hero in daylight. What I saw made my heart beat a little faster in my chest.

He had chin-length blonde hair, ears that were tastefully clad in earrings and jewels of sorts, a sharp jawline, smooth looking lips and wonderful piercing clear blue eyes. He was breathtaking, and quite frankly the first man to make me so infatuated by just looking  at him.

"I shall be your escort this afternoon, where to?" I heard the man ask as we strode down the alley.

"The downtown square please, I'm meeting my sister and friend there." I informed him, trying to keep my cool around such an attractive man.

I wonder if he comes from a wealthy family... I wonder if mother would approve of a wizard husband, that is if he is in fact a wizard. He seems kind and caring- wait...

What am I thinking?! I can't believe mother got into my head like that! I just met this man, I can't possibly think about the mere idea of marrying him!! That would be absurd!!

A silent war raged on in my head as we continued in silence, the man twisting down alleyways, leading me to my destination. Before we left the twisted alleys the man released me and faced me fully.

"I believe you dropped these." He held out my notebook and pencil and I felt a huge smile spread across my face.

"I almost forgot! Thank you again sir." I beamed, taking my things back.

As I grabbed my book and pencil I noticed I still had the man's ring on.

"Oh, silly me, here." I was about to take off the ring when the man took my hands in his, keeping me from removing the ring.

"Keep it." He said simply, a small smile gracing his face.

"Are you sure? It looks awfully precious." I responded, not wanting to take something of value from someone.

"It's already yours." He told me, releasing my hands.

"Well if you insist." I smiled back at him.

Just as I turned and was about to make my way back into the sea of people I heard the man call out to me.

"Do I get to know your name?"

"(y/n)! My name is (y/n)!" I waved and smiled back at him.

"I hope we meet again sometime soon (y/n)!" He waved in response.

"I hope so too!" I turned back to the crowd but once more I stopped.

This time around it was me who wanted to ask a question. I turned to address the man again, but once I did I noticed he was gone.

"What's your.... Oh..." I stood there for a minute before turning and this time, actually, going back into the crowd.

~~

"My feet hurt..." Margaret groaned as we walked back home.

The sun was beginning to set and most of the festivities had come to an end. After the man dropped me off at the town square I met up with Margaret and Ingrid. We danced for hours, ate dinner at a small restaurant and were now heading back.

I'd refrained from telling them both about my run in with the soldiers and the mysterious man, I wasn't sure how they were going to react.

Once we reached home father and Joseph had closed up the bakery and were cleaning up the shop. Margaret ran inside, taking her shoes off quickly and embracing her husband.

"I'm ever so tired." She mumbled into Joseph's shirt.

"Let's get you to bed, love." He told her, scooping her up and placing a kiss on her forehead.

Once they disappeared into the back my father walked around the counter to greet us. After giving me a hug he informed Ingrid that my mother was already asleep and she could go home for the night.

I gave Ingrid a goodbye hug and stood in the doorway of the bakery, waving to her until she disappeared down the cobble road of our street.

"So, how was the festival? Lively? Did you meet anyone?" My father asked, wrapping an arm lovingly around my shoulder as he lead me into the back kitchen.

He went to the counter and began kneading some dough while we spoke.

"It was lively indeed. And, although you may not believe it, I did meet someone. A rather unfortunate way of meeting, but I'm glad we met." I smiled, remembering earlier in the day.

I leaned on the counter behind me and picked up a berry from a bowl, popping the deep red fruit into my mouth. My father slapped my hand playfully and moved the bowl away from my hands. I laughed a little.

"So tell me, what was he like, would your mother approve?" My father asked, setting the dough he was kneading into a baking pan.

"Well, this has to be a secret between just you and I." I told him in a serious tone.

My father and I shared secrets about everything, he's never told one of  mine and I have never told one of his. We trust each other and I felt I owed it to him to tell him about today.

As I explained my story to him he slowly stopped what he was doing and was soon fully listening. I told him about how the soldiers brought me into the pub, the one soldier who didn't let go of me and was going to try and pursue me, and how the blonde man saved me by using magic.

"A wizard?" My father asked, fear and fascination intertwined in his words.

I nodded my head.

"I think so. He was so very handsome and gentlemanly, father. After all of that he brought me back outside and led me to where I was to meet back up with Ingrid and Margaret. He returned my book and pencil and let me keep this." I finished my story and held out my left hand.

"My... what a beautiful ring... you should keep it off that finger for tomorrow though. If your mother finds out that happened she'd freak out, and she has dinner planned with a potential suitor and his family." My father explained to me.

I felt my heart drop.

"You don't think mum is very serious about this one, do you?" I asked, genuinely nervous that I'd have to marry a man I didn't really know.

"Your mother has been talking to this family a lot, she and the suitor's mother go shopping whenever she's in town." My father told me.

Anxiously I began to play with the ring on my finger.

"In town? Where do they live?" I asked nervously.

"In central Kingsbury. The father is a Baron, the mother is a fashion designer who makes most of the clothes for the royal family," My father explained and anxiety began to rise up in my stomach.

They sound so elite... nothing like what I'm used to...

"And the son, your suitor, just graduated university at a young age and he's going to be studying old literature and hopes to become a professor." My father told me all of this and it was so much to take in.

"How does mum know these people?! Why are they all in town now?" I asked trying to piece the puzzle pieces together in my mind.

"Your mother is old friends with the suitor's mother. They reconnected a few days ago when the suitor's mother, I'll just tell you her name, Annabelle, told your mother that she and the whole family would be in town for their youngest daughters wedding." My father began to explain.

I had to brace myself against the counter in attempts to still my spinning head.

"The owner of that large, wonderful patisserie downtown proposed a few weeks ago to Annabelle's daughter and they plan on getting married after the festival is over." My father continued to explain the situation.

I stayed silent and let all of this process. I didn't ask another question for a while. Once I was ready I took a deep breath.

"Father please don't make me marry this man. I'm not ready." I pleaded.

"I'm sorry sweetheart but it's not up to me, your mom knows what she wants and she deeply wants for you to be happy, she thinks that this man could provide for you and make you happy."  My father said with a sad smile, bringing me into a hug.

All I could do was wrap my arms around him and stare blankly behind his shoulder out the window.

"Why don't we get you off to bed, Margaret and Joseph wanted to take James shopping for some new play trousers and they thought you might like to come along." My father parted from the hug and gave me a quick peck on the forehead before walking over to turn the kitchen light off.

The light faded and the moonlight dripped through the window, slightly illuminating the now dark kitchen. My father and I made our way upstairs, said our good nights and parted ways.

WOWIE! Our first Howl encounter! Also be sure you keep an eye out for small details that might be important later;) I really do hope you guys are enjoying the story this far, there is quite a lot more where this came from! I'm super stoked and still writing!! (The entire story right now, not including published chapters is 16,500 words!) I'll upload the next chapter as soon as I can! Toodles!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.8K 825 28
"I want to become stronger one day so I'm able to be worthy to you...!" -Hop For a long time now, Hop had always considered his friend (y/n), a child...
26 0 11
is it cool that i said all that? is it chill that you're in my head? 'cause i know that it's delicate.
5.7K 190 9
"Um, I like you..."
125 4 5
"Why didn't you unmask me? I mean, I was passed out. You could have done anything and I couldn't have resisted," Y/N's answer was immediate. "You wea...