Prisimpad: A Guide to Wattpad...

By Prisim

I will no longer be updating this guide. I'm leaving it up in case it will continue to be helpful to anyone i... More

Introduction
ON WATTPAD: Now What?
ON WATTPAD: To Read or Not to Read
ON WATTPAD: It's an Uploading Party
ON WATTPAD: Genres and Tag You're It
ON WATTPAD: Your Profile and You
ON WATTPAD: Creating the Perfect Profile
ON WATTPAD: Find your Stats
ON WATTPAD: Finding the Reader
ON WATTPAD: Welcome to the Community
ON WATTPAD: Oh my Wattys
ON WATTPAD: Let's go Clubbing
ON WATTPAD: Introducing the New Clubs
ON WATTPAD: New Clubs Settings
ON WATTPAD: New Clubs, Creating a Topic
ON WATTPAD: New Clubs, Replying and Navigating the Threads
ON WATTPAD: New clubs, likes and links and shares oh my!
ON WATTPAD: New Clubs, Search Bar and Other Things
ON WATTPAD: The Perfect Cover
ON WATTPAD: The Length of a Chapter
ON WATTPAD: Featured, Premium, Stars, Oh My
ON WATTPAD: The Ambassadors of your life
ON WATTPAD: Help, Report, and Everything else
ON WATTPAD: Writers Portal Update
ON WATTPAD: Rankings Updated
ON WATTPAD: Why It's Not a Fanfic - Plagiarism Post
ON WRITING: Attack of the Plot Bunnies
ON WRITING: That's So Cliche
ON WRITING: Give Birth to a Character
ON WRITING: A Brave New World...in the Real World
ON WRITING: A Brave New World...that's Made Up
ON WRITING: It's Titling Time
ON WRITING: The Point of the View
ON WRITING: First Drafts Suck
ON WRITING: Forget Grammar, Just Write
ON WRITING: Learn to Love Said
ON WRITING: Tag, Dialogue, You're it
ON WRITING: The Epic Showdown Vs Telldown
ON WRITING: Be Very, Very Quiet, I'm Hunting Adverbs
ON WRITING: Redundancy is Redundant
ON WRITING: Basic Grammar Tips
ON WRITING: To Prologue or not to Prologue
ON WRITING: Let's Go to the Info Dump
ON WRITING: Flashing the Backstory
ON WRITING: That Block Hurts
ON WRITING: The Most Important Chapter of Your Book
ON WRITING: Passive Voice
ON WHATEVER: Writing a Blurb
ON WHATEVER: Editing
ON WHATEVER: Traditional vs. Self Publishing
ON WHATEVER: Getting that Agent
ON WHATEVER: It's All In the Word . . . Count
ON WHATEVER: Publishing Scams and Vanity Presses
ON WHATEVER: Plagiarism and You
ON WHATEVER: NaNoWriMo
ON WHATEVER: Alpha Author and the Beta Reader
ON WHATEVER: Creative Partners
ON WHATEVER: ProWritingAid
ON WHATEVER: Pitch Parties all in a Twitter
ON WHATEVER: Creating and Protecting your Brand
ON GOODBYES: The End is Here

ON WRITING: Abusing Words

1.4K 47 13
By Prisim

Every writer has that one word, or more, they over use. Discovering your overused word isn't easy. Sometimes it takes somebody pointing it out to figure it out. In my case, it was Pro Writing Aid.

They have this section on their summary called overused words. On this list are common words people tend to over use. When I view this report, it tells me how many instances of these words I used and how many it suggests deleting. They give me these words usually have/had, feel/felt/feeling, it/there, knew/know, just/then, maybe, smell/taste, watch/notice/observe, and was/were. Like with any editor or editing software, it's up to the writer to determine how much of the suggestions to listen to.

Through this feature, I found I overuse "was" a lot. Which is probably a big chunk of the reason I struggle with passive voice. Now the word "was" is something that's hard to eliminate completely, but there are times when it's not needed. Studying those sentences led to me often finding a better way to say my intention. While reading through Freelander on my own is when I discovered my abuse of "actually", "only", and "just". Hell I've noticed my use of just a lot in this guide alone! For this guide, I don't care. I'm giving it to you straight and to do that means to not hold myself back.

Another friend discovered I also use "as" a lot. I'd write sentences like Abby jumped as she talked. Or something like Josh nibbled on his gummy bear as he watched TV. A few of those aren't a big deal, but when I use "as" 20 times in a single paragraph . . . it's a problem.

Sometimes I'll use the word "that" a lot. I started doing a habit that any time I came to the word "that," I read the sentence with it and without it. If it still made sense without it, I deleted it. Pay attention to your writing and find those words you abuse. You will have them. It's kind of inevitable.

The same can also be said for overused descriptions. A reader may very well notice the repetition and it might cause them to put the book down.

I wish I could remember what the phrase was, but when editing Freelander I found myself using the same phrase to describe something three times in the MS. I'd say three times isn't excessive, but it is something to be aware of.

When I was reading the Divergent books, I found Veronica Roth's catch phrase, at least one of them. I forget the exact wording, but whenever Tris was about to faint or was hit in the head, her vision darkened at the edges. I remember the first time I saw it in Divergent I thought it was great. It was a unique way of describing a person fainting. But by the time book three was done, I was bored of it. She used it too much for my liking.

Being bothered by something like that could very well just (there I go with just again) be me, but I still think it's something worth pointing out. If for no other reason than to make you aware of it in your own writing. Pay attention to your word choices and how often you use them. You don't want to abuse your thesaurus trying to replace them, but if you can write a sentence without that word, it might be worth doing it. If nothing else, it'll broaden your vocabulary and that's never a bad thing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

266 4 13
Dear Wattpad, This book is a sneak peak into how my brain works. Full disclosure: it does get a little weird up there sometimes and you may or may no...
9.2K 202 33
Do you find yourself writing he nodded, she shook her head, he shrugged, over and over again? It gets tedious, and doesn't help at all when it comes...
241K 17.4K 52
Highest Rank: #1 in Non-Fiction [14.08.16] I'm sure many of us have typed in 'How to get more reads' or 'How to get more votes' into Wattpad's search...
111K 2.8K 33
[Completed ↓] U N D E R E D I T I N G → Day in, day out I find myself struggling to write. Until I stumbled across some guides to help me...