Secret Route's keyword: Valky...

By FairoNeko

After experiencing the life as a girl who is blessed by God of Death... To then realise that's not all there... More

Living Death
Meeting Death
Knowing Death
Caring Death
Feeling Death
Walking Death
Shining Death
Exposing Death
Observing Death
Delaying Death
Apprehending Death
Viewing Death

Uniting Death

202 11 4
By FairoNeko

66.

I am sitting in the living room area of my guest room in God of Life's Church while sipping on tea. In front of me is the God of Life himself, possessing Lofty Quartz, my boyfriend's body.

It's been a month. It seems like he has finished his business in this Realm and is going to return to Gods' Realm soon, after a chat with me.

"How was it?" God of Life smiles, "Was it exciting?"

If it's the dreams I saw, a dream which spans for more than half a year that I dreamed in this past month, then I have to say, "I hope you really are taking care of Lofty properly,"

I do not ask for revenge or justice. I am just worried for Lofty who has gone through so much. Full possession is a heavy burden for him to bear, for a whole month, even!

Just...a brief moment of possession in the past already made him unconscious and exhausted for a week, at most. Now...

"No need to worry," God of Life looks really relaxed as he closes his eyes and leans back on the sofa, "I will not exhaust Lofty Quartz. This possession happens on mutual consent, after all,"

I eye God of Life with wariness. I can't help it! He is a God of Life...who does not shy away from works that can dirty his hands, I guess.

I had been staying in my room because I was reeling from the dreams of Lofty's life. I do not know how things have changed outside. To be honest, I am a little scared to know.

God of Life releases a chuckle, because he knows what I am thinking. Still smiling, God of Life asks me how I like this life.

I blink owlishly at him. Excuse me?

"I am the one who allowed you to live here, after all," God of Life says lightly, "In this Realm, if you haven't figured it out,"

I can only stare at God of Life, uncomprehendingly.

"Goddess of Spirit listened to God of Death's complaints about the troubles He got Himself into after choosing and picking the wrong mortals to give His Blessing to. Thus, Goddess of Soul proposed to have someone with better eyesight than God of Death to choose the mortal for Him. God of Death reluctantly agreed, because He didn't want to be more in the wrong by admitting He has bad eyesight. Then Goddess of Spirit went around asking for opinions or volunteers. I was involved because Somebody thought of inviting a Soul from outside of our Realms to be God of Death's Envoy. God of Death liked the idea very much, you understand. He nagged Me until I gave up and relented, allowing you to be born in this...world, so to say. Of course, We didn't just abduct you. You agreed to come, plus God of Death specifically went to choose you Himself, with Goddess of Spirit and that Somebody to make sure God of Death's bad eyesight didn't hinder this unexpected chance. We have the permission from your God at that time to take you too, in case you are wondering,"

Such...detailed explanation? "Who is that Somebody?"

God of Life remains smiling, "That Somebody wishes to remain anonymous,"

It sounds like I had met the Gods and Goddess before. I have no recollection of it though.

"Naturally. It's already bad enough that you remembered something relevant to this world, which...you shouldn't have remembered," God of Life's eyes narrow slightly at this, as He stares at me. I become nervous, thinking that maybe I should apologise? But God of Life smiles, "It's fine though, because you haven't done anything too damaging. It's also a great experience for Us to understand no more doing this, ever again. No matter Who whines,"

I know I look like God of Life has lost me somewhere. Should I thank Him for letting me live here or something? Oh, yeah. I dip my head in gratitude to God of Life, "Thank you, for... Umm..." it is slightly hard to believe, but it seems like that really happened. I had died, however briefly. To God of Life, I utter my gratitude quietly, "Thank you for reviving me,"

"You are welcome," God of Life is no longer smiling, "Know that this will not happen twice,"

I nod vigorously in understanding.

Then, letting a smile appears on His lips, God of Life says, "It was God of Death who actually revived you. I am just letting you live, again,"

"Is there...a difference?" I question hesitantly

"Of course," God of Life nods, "Your previous circumstance for half a year was the work of God of Death, only. By coming here, or having someone who is Blessed by Me on your side at that time, I could personally open the gate of life, so to say, for you to continue living,"

I furrow my eyebrows, feeling deep sadness, as I recall the hardships Lofty went through because of me.

"Both you, Lie Cogent, and Lofty Quartz, are unique mortals," God of Life says, eyeing me, "You two are more attuned with Us than people we personally Blessed," then, with a smile that I can't decipher, God of Life laughs, "As for Lofty Quartz, his affinity with Us is unbelievable!"

"I am attuned with You?" I don't think that is the case though

"Lofty Quartz is easy for Us to possess, but you understand Us more than you should be able to," God of Life seems amused, "Of course, with how disparaging you are of Us, some of Us aren't happy with it,"

Uuh... I really am chided by a God, of my treatment towards Gods and Goddesses. I think I tend to be the rudest to God of Death only though.

Speaking of which, "God of Life, can You tell me who possessed Lofty before?" I show a slight concern, because this is still a matter which hasn't been resolved, "If You know Who they were, do You know what They asked me too?"

God of Life becomes silent. After pausing for a long time, God of Life asks me, "Didn't you already ask God of Death to take care of Them?"

"I did," I give a nod, "But, there is no reply from God of Death, so I don't know how it goes..."

The corner of Lofty's lips, which God of Life possesses, twitches. The direction is down. Inhaling deeply, God of Life informs me, "It has been taken care of,"

I try not to, but I think I show a dubious look to God of Life's statement. Since He is not forthcoming on this matter, I ask something else in my mind, "Regarding Lady Colleen Zephyr, what should I do about her?"

God of Life raises an eyebrow, "Do you want to personally involve yourself with her matter?"

"No," I reply decisively, "But I will, to help my friends," a branch of this matter is, "How is the situation in Tempest Kingdom right now?"

It has been half a year. If there really is a war, it should have happened by now. I am hoping to be wrong though.

God of Life looks grim, but says nothing. I have a sinking feeling the situation is bad. God of Life shakes His head, informing me, "It depends on how you see the circumstance. To Me, the whole situation is distasteful,"

That explains nothing. I suppose I have to find out on my own... Returning to Tempest Kingdom as fast as possible is probably the quickest way to get detailed the information, straight from Crown Prince Credence Tycoon.

"...I will not dictate how you mortals shall live your lives and use Our Blessings," God of Life speaks as he stares at me while crossing his arms, "However..." narrowing his eyes, as I sit straighter to listen to God of Life's opinion diligently, He clicks His tongue, "For you, specifically, beware of your action,"

"Me?" I am a little dumbfounded to suddenly get another reprimand from God of Life

God of Life nods, "Your Blessing implicate lives, which is my domain," I become stiff as I realise the truth from God of Life's explanation, "I do not understand how your Blessing works the way it does, but I do not appreciate the workload you add on my plate,"

I bow my head and sincerely apologise, "I am sorry,"

God of Life lifts a hand to hold His chin in thought, "Apology accepted. I have rectified the blunders you made when I reform the state of this world," God of Life doesn't clarify when I look at Him in alarm, "Know that, you are not guilty of any...grave sins worthy to be punished by My followers,"

Seeing God of Life standing up, I also stand up in a hurry as I stare at God of Life with wide eyes. Ignoring how flustered I am, God of Life bows slightly to me.

He is formally apologising to me...

There is a glitter shower of /Black Heart/ covering God of Life as he straightens again. Brushing the /Black Heart/ glitters away from His person without changing his serious expression, God of Life sits down again. I follow suit, while still looking at Him in disbelief.

Miraculously, the glitters of /Black Heart/ do not disappear. They fall on the table and gather to form a sentence, aiming towards God of Life.

A Black Hearted God such as Yourself finally bows to My /Black Heart/

God of Life and I blink at the same time, reading that line. The /Black Heart/ glitters disappear soon after, once the message has been delivered. I do not dare to raise my head from the table to look at God of Life. I am glad God of Death did not use me to send the message.

"It seems like I have been gone for too long," God of Life says quietly, with barely a sigh lacing his words, "Well, then. Excuse me,"

I actually still have a lot to ask, but I do not dare to delay God of Life's departure.

67.

One pulsating of /Black Heart/ later...

I look up from the table to see Lofty sitting on the sofa with his head drops sideways. I observe his attire, no longer under God of Life's influence. His clothes are dirty and wrinkled. Seeing him like this, I am reminded of what he has experienced.

I raise from my seat and approach him slowly, silently. He seems to be sleeping right now... When will he wake up?

Nevertheless, it is a good idea to let him rest. He has worked hard.

I use all my strength to carry him up from the sofa and slowly walk to the bed. After laying him on it, also tucking him under the blanket, I go to the door and call for someone to prepare basin, a piece of fabric, and some clothes for Lofty to change.

Now is my turn to take care of Lofty, yeah!

68.

Lofty only sleeps for 1 night this time. He actually wakes up earlier than me, who sleeps on the sofa.

It does startle me quite a bit to wake up seeing him standing in front of me, staring at me.

I lift myself up and give him a sleepy smile. Lofty returns the smile, uncertainly. Rubbing the sleep out from my eyes, I gesture for him to come closer. Lofty complies, without hesitation.

I give him a hug! Our current position causes me to hug his midriff. It's not a problem though! This is considered a hug! A hug is important to let Lofty knows that I am okay and I am real! You can feel the heat I transmit like this, can't you~?

Lofty chuckles quietly as he pats my head. I bury my face on his body, squeezing tightly at the same time to convey my feelings.

I am truly grateful and happy to have Lofty here, with me.

We are interrupted when someone knocks on the door, requesting to enter.

I furrow my eyebrows at the door, while Lofty gives the permission, without detaching from each other. The female acolyte seems surprised to find us like this. Looking flustered, she informs us the breakfast has been prepared.

I don't have any thoughts in mind, but Lofty requests a change of cloth and a pair of cloaks to that female acolyte, who hurriedly excuses herself to do as Lofty requests.

"Do you mind leaving God of Life's Church immediately?" Lofty asks me, after we are left alone once again

"I don't mind," I reply honestly, "However, are you all right?"

"I am fine," Lofty assures me as he combs my hair, "I do not feel tired at all,"

God of Life possessed Lofty for a whole month and he doesn't feel tired?

"I think," Lofty chuckles lightly, "God of Life spares me a little strength when he left so I am fine now,"

"That is...wonderful?" I say, somewhat confusedly

Lofty laughs slightly as he nods, "It is. God of Life is very thoughtful,"

Reminded of what God of Life did, rectify my mistakes on the people I sentenced to 'death', I wholeheartedly agree. I am not sure what God of Life did, but I still have to keep his warning in mind. The way I use /Black Heart/, maybe I can try to change the sentence I give so it does not destroy their whole lives completely?

It has always been on my mind, the consequence of my Blessing. I am glad it's addressed properly by someone who does know how it works and gives me direction...

...If only God of Death didn't interrupt us, I could have asked God of Life for more advice!

Lofty takes a seat beside me as we wait for the female acolytes to come back with Lofty's change of cloth. Mine is already in the wardrobe of this room. Because we are staying in a Church, the clothes given to us to wear have the 'vibe' belonging to acolytes or clergymen.

Speaking of leaving, the people from God of Life's Church are making a fuss. It seems like they don't want us to go. I doubt we can stay here forever though.

Particularly, people are begging for Lofty to stay. It is because only Lofty has been possessed by God of Life for the past hundreds of years. Everyone prayed and offered their service to God of Life, yet God of Life himself has chosen Lofty to be the Oracle.

No way they will let Lofty leaves just like this!

Lofty himself does not even entertain the offers they propose to him. After calmly informing the people from God of Life's Church that he does not belong with them, Lofty quickly takes me away from God of Life's Church.

We enter the streets without anyone following us, supposedly. We also are wearing the cloaks prepared for us. The cloaks have God of Life's symbols sewed on the hoods, but Lofty says it's okay. These cloaks are usually given to travellers from faraway places who visited God of Life's Church too.

When we pass by the stage I was judged, I recall to not see even the silhouette of the Saint and the Head Priest. I do not miss them, but I do wonder what God of Life did when he reformed the world, as he put it.

We do not have anything on us, that I am aware of, so I have no idea how we can return to Tempest Kingdom. What does Lofty has in mind regarding this matter?

"I saw someone who can help us," Lofty tells me with a smile that I can see under his hood, "We will go find him now,"

"You saw him?" I cast a curious look at Lofty, "When did you have the time to see him?"

"Hmm, it's more like God of Life noticed him, and I took note of it," Lofty holds my hand as he guides me to somewhere

"You were conscious the whole time God of Life possessed you?!" I stifle the exclamation, all right, but I can't stop the shock from leaking out

"Not at all," Lofty shakes his head, "I only saw it in my dream,"

Oh. Dream. Seeing someone's life through a dream... It happened to me too. Does Lofty know God of Life could let me his life through dreams? I am not sure how I shall breach this subject.

Lofty guides me into an establishment. It is a restaurant. On one of the tables at the corner, someone wearing a hood is sitting alone. That person is not doing anything.

Lofty and I approach that person as Lofty greets, "Long time no see,"

That person is genuinely startled by Lofty's greeting. En? Is this meeting not arranged beforehand?

When that person looks back at us, I gasp loudly as I recognise him. Even with the hood up, there is no mistaking that face! I excitedly greet him with a wave, "Hi, Verity!"

Verity Cogent, my adopted Brother. His jaw drops as he stares at us unblinkingly. Then, as quickly as he jumps up from his chair, Verity gives me a tight hug. He also gives Lofty a hug too, saying, "Long time no see~! I am so glad that you two found me! I got lost looking for you two!!"

I laugh at what Verity says while Lofty takes out a chair for me to sit. He also takes out another chair to sit. Verity is already sitting and ordering our portions of lunches.

We still have our hoods up. From the outsiders' point of view, we might look suspicious. However, it seems that the crest on Lofty and my hoods, which we received from God of Life's Church, ward off evil and troublesome people.

Verity excitedly turns his head back and forth, to take in our appearances, or what he can see when we are covered like this. Releasing a sigh of relief, Verity tells us, "I am really glad to see you two looking well,"

Lofty nods slightly, "How much do you know?"

Verity puts his hands on the table and drums briefly before stopping, "Lady Bond received your letter," he means Lofty's letter, "So we knew you two were, at least, alive,"

I look down when Verity mentions that, but he doesn't seem to understand why. Lofty puts his hand on mine and gives me a squeeze. I squeeze back.

Continuing, Verity tells us, "We had no idea why you two didn't just come back," furrowing his eyebrows, Verity mumbles, "I guess you two have a story for that?"

"Most certainly," Lofty nods, although he doesn't tell Verity about it right away, "What else?"

Verity scratches his cheek while we wait for the waitress delivering our lunches to leave before saying, "It was a mess. Almost everyone blamed Colleen Zephyr for the tragedy, because they thought you two were dead when we didn't find you in the sea... Not even the 'corpses'. It's Credence's idea to hide your survivals from others, despite Sterling's disagreement,"

"What about Will?" I can't help but question to satiate my curiosity after knowing Credence's action and my Cousin, Sterling Regal's opinion. Will Anthem is someone who adores Lady Zephyr. How did he react when people blamed the person he likes one-sidedly?

"Aaah, Will," Verity nods seriously, "He defended Lady Zephyr. That's a good thing, I suppose, because Lady Zephyr couldn't really defend herself. The fact that she took the students'---Noble children's fortunes were brought to light,"

I feel my jaw drop from this story. Lofty questions quietly, "What about the person blackmailing Lady Zephyr?"

Verity stares at us with a crooked smile, "Mysteriously, that person didn't seem to exist. Everything which happened in College became something that Lady Zephyr orchestrated. Alone,"

"Is that what the population know?" Lofty questions while frowning

Verity nods, "Credence confirmed the hidden army camps which enlisted Lady Zephyr's Father. Credence also managed to interview that man, collaborating his story with the one Lady Zephyr told us beforehand,"

"So... Everything became Lady Zephyr's fault..." I narrow my eyes at this turn of event, "Did nobody think how a commoner could have done so much? As in, built a cabin on top of a cliff and the traps?"

"Nobody tried using their brains to think," Verity replies frankly, without a trace of amusement. It seems like he also thinks things were not favourable to Lady Zephyr, "For now, these past months, Lady Zephyr is residing in Anthem Mansion, guarded by Will,"

"The College?" Lofty seems to ask about the school

"Everyone is dismissed and College closed down," Verity informs us, "I also returned to Duke Cogent's Mansion,"

"Why are you here then?" I question curiously

Verity nods to himself, "It's because I am free, so I think of coming here to find you two. Sir Lofty mentioned you are coming here, after all,"

"What about others?" Lofty questions, seemingly with amusement after hearing Verity telling us how much free time he has on his hands

"Credence still have the problem of the army and impending war to solve. Sterling and Lady Mega are helping him," Verity counts on his fingers as he recounts, "Will is protecting Lady Zephyr... Madame Solid is helping Will..."

It seems like there is someone else Verity forgets to tell. However, since he can't remember, I just ask him, "How did you come here?"

From Lofty's memory, the journey is a long one. Verity, travelling all alone into this city... It's not like I am looking down on him, but Verity doesn't have the tenacity like Lofty to survive the wilds.

"I came with someone you know," Verity tells me, "We separated to find you two and agreed to meet up at the inn tonight. Since you two found me, it means we can go back to Tempest Kingdom soon!"

"With who?" I don't understand why Verity doesn't just reveal the identity of that person

"It's that person I forgot," Verity informs me sheepishly, "She is unlike her usual self, so it's a bit hard for me to get used to the current her,"

"That doesn't mean you could have forgotten about her name, when you have been travelling with her!" I am somewhat exasperated

Verity shrugs with guilt, "It just slips my mind..."

"It's fine," Lofty assures us with a chuckle, "Let's eat lunches first before we continue talking,"

Yes. Let's eat first!

69.

After eating, we decide to continue talking in Verity's rented room. It's quieter there. On our way to Verity's inn, someone from God of Life's Church stops us. In particular, this person is looking for me.

When that person drops the hood and reveals the face, I recognise her as the Saint! Just as I thought about it earlier, here she is!

To me, the Saint bows 90 degrees, "I am sorry!"

In front of the crowd, in front of all these people who recognise her, she bows and apologises to me. Hey, is this not the same as outing me??

"I apologise for my mistakes. I apologise for what I did. I apologise for blaming you something you don't deserve!" straightening to loudly proclaim her apology, the Saint bows again, "I am sorry!!"

I look at Lofty in panic, how should I handle this matter? But Lofty is only staring at the Saint impassively. Verity is confused by this turn of event, so he doesn't know what to do either. Lofty then turns to me, when I tug his hand, "Whether you forgive her or not, it is up to you,"

I see. I... I don't really blame her or anything. It's not like I am big-hearted. I just don't think she is at fault. At most, I blame the High Priest for refuting the sense I imparted on the Saint.

And since the Saint willingly apologise to me on her own accord, even though she could have done it at somewhere inconspicuous, I decide to reply, "Forgiven," to wrap things up quickly

The Saint bows again, "Thank you very much!"

She sounds rather energetic. I comment, "A Saint such as you, bowing and apologising to me in public, won't you get in trouble from the High Priest?"

The Saint winces. Then, shaking her head, inhaling deeply, the Saint informs me, "I am no longer a Saint. I have been demoted by God of Life to be a Nun. In fact, only selective people are not demoted by God of Life,"

Certainly, she doesn't wear anything extravagant like before. So, this is the attire of God of Life's Nun. Very different from the clergymen, acolytes, priestess, etc.

I can't help but compare the Churchs. That one, where I lived before, and this one, which people worshipped. A desolate forest versus a city. No contest.

God of Life's Nun is still here. What does she want now?

"I am Fair Ingenuous," the Nun says, to me and to Lofty, "Pleased to meet you,"

I glance at Lofty, who doesn't look like he wants to reply. I also stay silent. It causes the Nun to bravely inquire, "May I know your names?"

I nudge at Verity, so he will do the introduction for us. While giving us three weird looks, Verity introduces himself to the Nun, then he continues by saying my and Lofty's names.

I notice Lofty's eyes, particularly his /Pink Heart/, flit above the Nun's head briefly. Checking the name of her Love Interest?

Once she knows our names, the Nun informs us, "By God of Life's will, I will learn under your tutelage, Miss Lie Cogent, the one Blessed by God of Death,"

Thankfully, the Nun has turned down the volume of her voice. However, what she says. Excuse me?

Verity tilts his head, "Shouldn't you learned from someone who is Blessed by God of Life instead?"

"I know," the Nun nods emphatically, "However, I realise, as God of Life pointed out, it is someone who has faced 'death' who knows how to treasure lives,"

...I stare at Lofty, who turns to stare at me. Is this a trade-off? Allowing me to live to teach His protege?

What exactly can I teach her?

"Following you around only is fine too," the Nun, Fair Ingenuous, tells me with a bright smile, "I will observe you as you live. I am sure, this is what God of Life wills it too!"

70.

Lofty is not nice to Fair, as she insists I call her such, but he doesn't mind her existence around us much.

Verity is confused by whatever Fair says, none of what she says make sense to him, but he is pretty chill to have another companion who will go to Tempest Kingdom with us.

Verity's original companion, the person he forgot the name of... She is Grace the Witch!!

Long time no see~!

While I am happy to see her, Grace the Witch bawls at the sight of me. I am stunned.

Once she has calmed down, I have to calm her down, Grace keeps apologising to me. Apparently, she was the one who set up the traps. Granted, she had no idea I would be the one who got caught in her traps.

"It was supposed to be a job to catch a spy," Grace the Witch confesses and swears if she knew of the original purpose of that cabin, she would never accept that job

Grace the Witch has no idea who built the cabin, because she was hired by a third party. Grace the Witch was pretty distraught after she realised I got caught up on her trap and decided to come and find me herself, to apologise in person. Because she was staying at Duke Cogent's Mansion, when she made the decision to find me, Verity tags along too, since he knows where we are, based on Lofty's letter.

I feel slightly weird to have people apologising to me, for getting caught up in troubles they are only partially involved. I mean, I don't blame them. To see them blaming themselves like this, it feels like I have unknowingly sentenced them with my Blessing. It is an unpleasant comparison.

Grace the Witch promises Lofty and I that she will cover our expenses to return to Tempest Kingdom. Verity's expense is actually covered by Grace the Witch. As for Fair, additional member, she assures us she will cover her own expense with the money she earned beforehand.

How much does she get by working as a Saint? I really want to know, but I dare not to ask. What if God of Life takes offence? It's not like I am saying God of Life is a petty God, I am just wondering the 'what if', okay.

Continue Reading