Summer Doesn't Last Forever |...

By millie_

Seventeen year old McKenna Bryant isn't happy about being shipped to the small town of Vernon in California f... More

Chapter 1: It Never Rains in Southern California...Right
Chapter 2: Have You Always Been This Much of a Pervert?
Chapter 3: Sleep is for Suckers
Chapter 4: A Summer Job...Fun
Chapter 5: I Don't Want Your Pity, McKenna
Chapter 6: You're Not Very Smart Are You?
Chapter 7: At Least You Didn't Get Drunk
Chapter 8: What Have I Gotten Myself Into?
Chapter 9: I Wonder What Would Have Happened
Chapter 10: Why Are You Always Staring At Me?
Chapter 11: Complete And Utter Ridiculousness
Chapter 12: Ever Thought About Having A Kid?
Chapter 13: You're Still Just As Dense
Chapter 14: Okay, I Can Do This
Chapter 15: Call Me Crazy, But Yes
Chapter 16: You Have A Very Sarcastic Attitude
Chapter 17: Only If They Catch Us
Chapter 18: What The Hell Were You Thinking?
Chapter 20: It Won't Open...Like It Won't Open
Chapter 21: God Is Punishing Me
Chapter 22: I Don't Have To Worry Do I?
Chapter 23: I'd Rather Be Safe Than Sorry
Chapter 24: Done. Gone. Ended. Finished. Through.
Chapter 25: There's Nothing For Us To Talk About
Chapter 26: Am I Really That Bad?
Chapter 27: So What Exactly Happened?
Chapter 28: You Probably Hate Me
Chapter 29: Yeah, But You're My Idiot
Chapter 30: You've Been Served
Chapter 31: Then Let's Do This
Chapter 32: I Love You More Than Anything ♥
Chapter 33 - Pt 1: I Don't Want You To Leave
Chapter 33 - Pt 2: Summer Love
Epilogue: Back For You
Author's Final Note

Chapter 19: Monopoly Is A Stupid Game

69.7K 1.7K 211
By millie_

Author's Note: A week, that's how long it took me to update. Sorry! School just started for me on August 20th, and yes I've had homework every day since then. But today's Saturday, so I was free! So I hope you like this chapter! It's kinda like a filler, but I hope it's still good! Check out that song, maybe? I think it's fitting for Ryder and McKenna, or Ryna. Uh huh, that's there couple name I'm giving them. Well that or Mcder. Still undecided. And the picture, I just think it's cute. Hehe. Oh well, back to what you came here for!

          "Mickey." Ryder's voice says close to my ear.

I roll over, not ready to wake up, "Go away."

I feel his hand on my shoulder, shaking me lightly, "Wake up."

I groan and peak on eye open. I look towards the window and see that the sun is not up yet, therefore I shouldn't be either. "I want to sleep."

          "I'm not gonna stop trying." He warns me. I nod half hearing him and close my eyes again, letting sleep overcome me. "Mickey, Mickey, Mickey, Micke-"

          "What!?" I groan, failing at trying to block out his voice.

          "Get up!"

          "Ryder, what time is it?" I ask.

          "It's 3:04 a.m." He says, grabbing my hands and pulling me up.

          "Why the hell are you still awake?" I wonder, blinking my eyes open.

          "I'm hungry."

          "What?"

          "I'm hungry."

          "Well then go eat."

          "I want tacos."

          "Still not understanding why you woke me up out of my sleep to tell me you want tacos."

          "Let's go get some!" He says enthusiastically.

          "If you think I'm getting out of this bed and driving all the way to L.A. with you just because you want some tacos, you're insane." I mutter.

I feel the bed shift, and then I sense Ryder's presence. I open my eyes and see Ryder's face right above mine. He leans down, and kisses me softly. "I haven't even brushed my teeth." I mumble against his lips.

          "Well neither have I, so we're good." He retorts, not breaking the kiss. Ryder puts one hand at my waist, and the other is holding his weight off of me. He moves his lips to my neck, kissing it gently. Just as I'm really getting into it, Ryder pulls away. I open my eyes, and groan in protest. "Why'd you stop?"

          "I told you I want tacos."

          "But I don't want tacos. I want you."

          "Tacos first, kissing second." Ryder explains, getting off of the bed.

I roll my eyes, sitting up in the bed. "Fine, we'll go get your stupid tacos."

          "Not gonna be so stupid when you're eating them, now will they?"

          "Shut up." I say, heading towards the door to go to my room and put on more appropriate clothing than a spaghetti strapped shirt and a pair of shorts. Ryder catches my wrist, pulling me to his chest. "You said you wanted tacos, and when I try to get dressed to go get some, you don't let me. You're so weird Ryder." I tell him.

Ryder still holds my hand, and then pulls me to the closet. I wait there patiently, wondering what he's planning to do. He opens his closet, and takes something out. He holds them out of to me and I take them. "What should I do with this?"

          "You wear it."

          "Alrighty then." I say, stepping into his black sweatpants, pulling them over my shorts. Then I pull on the black shirt, and look over at Ryder. "They're way too big." I tell him.

          "I like you in my clothes though." He retorts, handing me my flip flops.

I shake my head, putting on the flip flops. "They're big, but comfortable." I say.

          "Yeah, now come on. I want tacos!"

With that, Ryder and I creep down the stairs-thankfully they're relatively new, thus not making any noises-and towards the front door. Ryder opens the door and we both go out. I don't know where the whole 'curfew' thing stands as of now. I mean, technically Ryder and I were here before 12 a.m., we're just sneaking back out. Or maybe the technically term would be just going out, because neither of us actually live at the house. He lives at his college dorm, and I live in Texas, so it's technically more like an extended stay if you will.

Ryder unlocks the door and we both get into his car. I pull on my seatbelt, letting out a yawn as I rest my head against the headrest. I pull my knees up in the seat, and prop my feet and shoes up on the dashboard. I push the button on the armrest, letting the window go down. The early morning air whips through my hair, and I look out of the window. Ryder turns the radio on, letting it stay at background music volume.

Twenty minutes later, we're sitting down inside of a Taco Bell. Ryder seems to be happy and content now that he's stuffing his face with the tacos. "So I don't understand why you suddenly had a hankering for tacos."

          "Tacos are good." He says, drinking from his soda.

          "But it's," I pause and look at my watch, "it's 3:21 in the morning. Were you just sitting up waiting for hunger to strike so you could wake me up and get tacos?"

          "Well, I came back up to the room about thirty minutes after you laid down, and you were asleep. So I went to sleep, and then I woke up at like 2 and I was starving. So here we are."

I cock my head to the side, looking at him. "Well isn't that nice." I say, picking apart my taco.

          "What are you doing?" Ryder asks, looking down at my dismantled taco.

          "I'm crushing the shell and eating the inside."

          "Why?"

          "Because, I don't know. I like it like that."

          "That's weird."

          "Yet we're sitting in a Taco Bell at three in the morning because of you."

          "This is true." He agrees.

----------------------

When we get back to the house, promptly at 3:41, Ryder quietly unlocks the door and we go up the stairs back to him room. It's nearly four in the morning, yet I'm wide awake thanks to stupid Ryder. He closes his door behind us, and I take off the shirt and sweatpants, dropping them on the floor. I plop down on the bed on my back, propping my knees up in the air.

          "Okay, so we got the tacos." I say, turning my head and looking over at where he's standing.

          "Indeed we did."

          "Right, and now we have to finish what we started before you so rudely stopped." I inform him, smiling slightly.

          "So you went out with tacos only so you could make out with me. That's really horrible, girlfriend."

          "Well boyfriend, I think you would have done the same thing." I retort.

Ryder pulls off his shoes, kicking them towards the closet. He walks over to the bed, and dips down beside me. Then I feel him shrug, "I dunno. I probably would have just pretended not to hear you."

          "I'm not even surprised."

          "But you still love me." He confirms, shifting to his side looking at me.

I nod, "And you still love me."

          "Till the day I die." Ryder replies, leaning down and kissing me.

          "Yeah, right." I mutter against his lips.

          "Seriously." He says, pulling away and looking down at me. "Do you even understand how happy I am to be able to call you my girl?"

          "I would hope very happy."

          "More than that." Ryder says, seemingly looking for a better word, "Exultant."

          "Stop using words you know I don't know the meaning of." I scowl.

          "It's like a better word for a happy." He tells me, smiling. "I love you."

          "Yeah? How much?" I wonder, even though I already know he loves me. Ryder sits up in the bed and spreads his arms out wide around him, "This much. But multiplied by like a trillion."

          "Aww, how cute." I tell him.

          "Uh huh, I know." Ryder replies.

          "Oh let's play a game!" I say, jumping up from his bed.

          "What do you wanna play?" He wonders.

I have the perfect game in mind, which is if even still has it. When we were kids; the other O'Connor's, Ryder, and I would always play this game for hours on end when were bored. Granted I always lost - if you can even lose at the game - I mean, it literally goes on forever and ever and ever and ev – well you get my point.

I go over to Ryder's closet, and pull it open. I step inside of it, and stand on my tip toes. I reach up to the top shelf, feeling around for the box. I don't feel it, and it could be because of my sad height. Damn you shortness. Not even kidding – I'm like 5' 4''. Too short. And Ryder here's a freaking giant, at like 6' 4''. I grab on to the bar and decide that it should be strong enough to hold my weight. I pull myself up on it, and peer over the top of the shelf. I see the box, and grab it with the hand not holding on to the bar. Smart me. I drop down, and nearly fall from the distance, but regain my balance.

          "I would have got it." Ryder says, stifling a smile.

          "Pish posh." I retort, sitting next to him on the bed.

He takes the box from me, inspecting it. "Monopoly. You wanna play Monopoly?"

          "Yes, I want to play Monopoly. I'm older then I was last time we played, therefore smarter, and I figure I can probably beat you at it this time."

          "Yeah, I doubt it." Ryder says, "I'm gonna be the car."

          "But you know I like being the car!" I whine.

          "Too bad, you can be the thimble."

          "No, I'm not gonna be the thimble. Gimme the moneybag."

          "Having it won't help you." Ryder warms, chuckling and handing me the little silver moneybag.

          "Okay, let's make this interesting." I retort, disregarding his comment.

          "How so?"

          "When I win you have to uhh," I pause, trying to think of something good. "You have to....well I'll think of something after I win."

          "Alright, but when I win you have to kiss me."

I scoff, "Kiss you? That's it? I'm your girlfriend; I can kiss you whenever I wanna."

          "I can give you something more difficult if that makes you happy."

I raise my eyebrows, as the thoughts of exactly what the crazy things Ryder would make me do, and I shake my head. "No, no, no. Kiss is fine."

          "Thought so." Ryder replies with a smile, "You wanna be the bank?"

          "Yes, because I don't trust you and I think you would steal money from the bank."

Ryder puts his hand over his head in mock hurt, "What a horrible thing to say."

          "Aww you big baby." I say, taking the money holder from him. I lie down across the floor on my stomach, and Ryder takes the board out. Ryder does the same, lying down on his stomach on the other side of the board though. He kicks his shoes off, and pulls the hoodie from UCLA that he wore to Taco Bell.

          "I'm gonna steal that." I warn him, gesturing my head to where it lays on the floor now.

          "What? My hoodie?"

I nod, "Yeah huh." I say, reaching over and grabbing it. I sit up and slide the blue hoodie with gold writing on over my tank top. The air is on in the house, and it actually is a little cold.

          "Whatever floats your boat." Ryder replies, grabbing the dice. He shakes them around in his hand and then throws them down on the board. "Seven." He reads. He takes the car and moves seven spots down the board, and buys the property.

Twenty minutes later, I groan as my stupid moneybag lands on one of Ryder's seventeen properties – and this one even has a freaking hotel. I give him the $1,000 and scowl at Ryder. "You suck."

          "I love you too." Ryder says smiling and taking my money.

I count up the properties I own on the board in my head and come up with six. And they're the crappy ones. You know the ones I'm talking about. Like the blue/purple ones, like Mediterranean Avenue. Stupid Ryder owns all those good ones. Boardwalk, and that other blue ones, and like everything else over there in the yellow and green area.

          "I have like $400." I tell him. Technically I should have lost like ten minutes ago, but I'm just gonna say it. I 'borrowed' $700 from the bank. And on my six properties, I have one hotel. Sad shame.

Ryder chuckles, "Well you know I would loan you some, but...actually no. I wouldn't."

I laugh, "Ryder you are such a jerk."

          "A very rich jerk." He says, flashing all of his paper money.

          "I'm gonna catch up, you better believe it." I tell him as I take the hoodie off and fold it neatly.

Ten minutes later, I lose it and flip the board over sending all of Ryder's red hotels flying. "Stupid game." Guess what? I didn't catch up.

Ryder sits up from the floor, pulling me over to him; his chest pressed against my back. "Now that wasn't very nice now was it?"

          "Monopoly is a stupid game." I mutter, throwing my head back, letting it rest on his shoulder.

          "Aww now, don't be a sore loser." Ryder says, kissing my forehead.

          "Easy to say when you win. I want a rematch before the end of the summer, and I'm gonna kick your ass."

          "If that's what your pretty little head needs to believe, then you do that." Ryder replies smiling.

I turn around in Ryder's arm, leaning into him. His lips brush mine, and my heart rate picks up. God I sound like a little girl. Ryder pulls me closer, without breaking the kiss. I lift my arms, and put them at the hem of Ryder's t-shirt. I pull it up over his head, and toss it to the floor. He does the same, taking my shirt off of me and dropping it down. He pushes me back, and my back hits the carpeted floor and Ryder hoovers over me, moving his lips to my neck. He puts his hands at the small of my back, tracing his fingers over the skin. I hitch my leg around his waist, pulling him down closer to me.

Suddenly a voice calls out, "Mother entering the room!" And Ryder hops up off of me. The door opens just as I'm sliding my shirt back on over my head. I look up at Sarah and see her raising her eyebrows at Ryder and me. Ryder retrieves his t-shirt and puts it back on then clears his throat, "What's up mom?"

          "Is there a certain reason why you two are awake so early? I heard you all the way downstairs."

          "Oh we were just playing monopoly." I tell her, gesturing towards the board which is still lying where I flipped it.

          "Right, well keep it down. And Ryder?"

          "Yeah mom?" Ryder replies, looking up at his mom.

          "Remember what I told you." And with that she leaves the room.

I turn towards Ryder, "What'd she tell you?"

          "Not to have sex with you here." Ryder says, his face turning red.

I burst out laughing, "You're so cute when you blush." I tell him, pinching his cheeks.

Ryder swats my hand away from his face, "Yeah yeah, I'm adorable." He mutters.

          "Yes, yes you really are." Then I pick up my phone from the floor, looking at the time. "It's already 5:04. I can't believe we played Monopoly at 4 in the morning."

          "It's what all the cool couples do." Ryder jokes.

          "Oh yeah, of course." I reply. "So I should probably get this up." I say, looking down at the Monopoly board.

          "Yeah, you should but since you lost so horribly to me, I'll take pity on you and I'll pick it up."

          "Why aren't you chivalrous?"

Ryder nods, picking up the piece, "I really am." I peck him on his lips, and then lie down at the foot of his bed and turning the TV on. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.4K 104 6
Idk its ny first eva writing thingz :3
16.6M 643K 63
Bitmiş nefesi, biraz kırılgan sesi, Mavilikleri buz tutmuş, Elleri nasırlı, Gözleri gözlerime kenetli; "İyi ki girdin hayatıma." Diyor. Ellerim eller...
245K 6.3K 31
Hannah goes with her two friends to a street fight. At the end of the fight she is hassled by a guy and one of the fighters comes to her rescue. In t...
219K 7.3K 31
" Across country? With you?" " admit it, you want to." -- Carter Grace didn't like her neighbor. She didn't like his love for old rock music...