Slave to Love

By Gumiho08

Melanie Bruckner has a major crush on Ryan Perry. The only problem is, Ryan Perry doesn't know she exists. Bu... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Seven

403 18 2
By Gumiho08

Chapter Seven

"Hello, I'm calling to ask about the cake I’ve ordered at your bakery. It's, um, a football shaped chocolate cake… My name is Melanie Bruckner."

I waited for the shop assistant to check my order status. I could hear some papers shuffling and then, "Yes, the cake is ready to be picked up. Should we arrange a courier for you?"

"No, no, I'll pick it up myself, around five today. Thank you for information. Goodbye." I hung up, a grin spreading on my face. Brian's birthday party is tomorrow and although he finally decided to go with the Avengers theme, I thought a football cake would be a great present. It hurt me to watch him give up something he wanted because of some stupid conviction that he had. Themes or no themes, you can have a cake and eat it too. Literally, in this case.

I left the girls' restroom and headed to the cafeteria. Our school wasn't super strict about the usage of cell phones, but I didn't want to push it by talking on the phone during lunch. Although, not everybody was so considerate.

I was just gearing up to dig into my burger when I was interrupted by a well-known electro tune: 

I got passion in my pants and I ain't afraid to show it, show it, show it, show it

I'm sexy and I know it

"You got to be kidding me," I groaned. "This is your ringtone?" I turned to Logan, who was pulling his phone out of his pocket. "It's not even the fact that this song is so 2011, which it is by the way, but… Really? Could you be any more conceited?"

"Hey, I don't comment on your fashion choices, so don't comment on my ringtone," he huffed, not even glancing away from the phone. He pressed 'Decline'.

"You WHAT?" I croaked.

Logan shrugged as he started texting vigorously. "Your clothes," he repeated. "They aren't very feminine, are they?"

He managed to offend me while writing a text at the same time. I was impressed.         

But, seriously, how dare he comment on my clothes? Okay, maybe I wasn't the sundress-and-flats kind of girl, but just because I was wearing a FC Barcelona jersey and a pair of Vans didn't mean I was vagina-less. I stole a quick glance at Ryan, wondering if he thought I was a tomboy and therefore incapable of inspiring romantic feelings.

Ryan was sitting with a petite brunette, whose name was Alexis, as I'd found out. Being the internet stalker I am, I found her on facebook and I learned she was a junior, of Greek origin and she played violin. Who the hell plays violin anyway?

"You seem to have a pretty good idea about what kind of clothes girls should be wearing," I said, still looking at Ryan and Alexis. There were laughing now about something he was showing her on his phone. I could feel my temper rising. "How do you feel about spandex? Cause guys think it's a girls' domain, but I'm not really sure." I paused, turning back to Logan, who was now eyeing me suspiciously, his phone forgotten. "But personally, when I hear spandex, I think superheroes and saving the world. You know what spandex is, don't you?" I asked because Logan was looking at me like I'd just grown a second head.

Before responding, he glanced swiftly at George and Justin, but they were deep in conversation with their own buddies and paid no attention to us. "I know what spandex is," he hissed.

"So you should know the world's greatest superheroes wore spandex suits. It's absolutely masculine." I could tell Logan was waiting for me to turn his own reckless words against him. And I did. Big time. "I think you would look great in spandex. And it so happens that by doing so, you would totally save my world. You wouldn't even need super powers."

"What is your point?" Logan practically growled at me. I responded with a sly smile.

You know those people who can never come up with a good retort when they're angry? Yeah, that's not me at all. In fact, when I get angry I have to stop myself from saying some really nasty things that come to my mind. My sister once said I don't respect the rules of bickering (apparently, there are some) by pulling out stuff that is completely irrelevant to the argument. She might have said that this one time when I borrowed her shorts without asking, and when she confronted me about it, I said I took them because she'd gained weight so they didn't fit her anyway. And I didn't even think that she got fatter! I just said so to defend myself but I ended up hurting Lena. She left my room crying and wouldn't talk to me for three straight hours (which for her is a record). I can't help it. It's like being mean is my default setting. When I want to make somebody suffer, my mind comes up with the most vicious ideas.

"My little brother's birthday party is tomorrow," I drawled, "And he's doing the Avengers theme. So I thought, it would be extremely cool if Captain America showed up, don't you think?"

"You want me to dress up as Captain America," Logan said flatly.

"Well, since you're volunteering…" I grinned.

"What if I say no?" he asked belligerently, as if there existed an actual possibility of me not getting my way.

"Well," I pondered, playing with my fingers, "Then I might mention to Brian that Captain America had better plans for the night than his party. And my dad hates seeing Brian upset. I mean, he's the only son in the family."

Logan grimaced and opened his mouth, but before he said anything I threatened, "Don't force me to play the slave card. I'm asking nicely right now."

He sighed. "Okay, I'll do it. But you're getting the costume."

I think at this point, we both understood that I had him wrapped around my finger and, unless he wanted to get in trouble with either my sister or my dad, he couldn't do anything about it.

"Great!" I clasped my hands. "The party starts at six but you should come half an hour earlier so you can get into your suit, Cap."

I rented the costume right before I got the cake from the bakery. I was surprised that they actually had an adult costume of Captain America at the rental. And it looked very professional too - it had the cap, shield, gloves and even the belt.

"This is an officially licensed Avengers costume," the clerk told me, wrapping it with so much reverence, one could think it was Steve Roger's authentic suit. And it was priced like one, too. Although, there wasn't a price I wouldn't pay for Brian's happiness. And Logan's humiliation.

➳♥

On Thursday evening, 6:30 sharp, there was a doorbell and I rushed to open the doors for Logan. His punctuality was admirable, although I suspected it was the result of the football trainings discipline. And it was the Coach's house after all.

"Oh my god! Are you Steve Rogers?" I chirped. "It's so nice to welcome you to my humble abode."

Logan winced like he was about to walk into the lion's den. "Hi, Melanie," he welcomed me, stepping over the threshold. Once in, he kept shooting nervous glances, as if he was expecting something evil to jump out of nowhere and go for his balls.

"Don't worry," I said. "Dad went to the shop. Not enough gummy bears or so I’ve heard." That calmed Logan down a bit. "Common, let's go upstairs. Your costume is in my room."

On our way, we had to make a stop at the kitchen where my mom and Lena were preparing party snacks.

"Mom, you know Logan Perry, right? He's helping me today with that surprise I have for Brian."

"Of course I know Logan," my mom smiled, putting away a pack of chips so she could squeeze his hand. "How are you, honey?"

"I'm good, Mrs. Bruckner," Logan said in his most polite tone. "Is there anything I could help you with?"

"Oh no, no, sweetie. We're handling it. Just go with Melanie and work on that top secret surprise she's been raving on about. But thank you for asking."

"Mom, do you know where is Brian right now?" I asked. "I want to smuggle Logan unnoticed to my room."

Now, if I had used this exact wording with my father, he would go ballistic. But my mom just smiled conspiratorially and answered, "He's been at his room for half an hour. A wardrobe crisis, apparently."

I nodded and I motioned for Logan to walk out of the kitchen. Before he did, he and Lena exchanged a weird look that I couldn't quite decipher.

Logan had been to my house a few times before. He was my dad's MVP, after all. But up till now, none of my dad's players had ever gone up to the second floor. I was too excited about the costume and how perfect it was, to actually stop and think about this milestone, or the fact that I didn't really prepare my room for male visitors.

As soon as I closed the door behind us, I dived under my bed, where I hid the costume, while Logan casually looked around my room. I'd just emerged with the plastic bag in my hand when I heard Logan chuckle.

"One Direction?" He turned to me, holding a copy of 'Up All Night' in his hand.

"No touching my things!" I hissed, trying to intercept the CD, but Logan quickly pulled away.

"I didn't know you were that type of girl." He smirked, his eyes sparkling playfully.

"What do you mean 'that type'?" I asked, still trying to get hold of the record. "I'm not a type. I'm me. Not some kind of result in a Cosmo Girl personality test. Listening to One Direction doesn't make me one dimensional."

"Whoa!" Logan lowered his arm and handed me the CD, which I snatched away angrily. "I was just joking. No need to get all worked up about it."

"Easy for you to say, cause the joke is not at your expense," I grunted.

Logan frowned. "Actually, it is. I was just teasing you, while this whole evening is going to be a huge joke at my expense."

As much as I hated to admit, he did have a point.

"Okay, I might have asked you−"

"Forced," he interjected.

I grimaced. "Persuaded you to do this out of spite, but that doesn't change the fact that Brian loves Captain America and you will make him the happiest Birthday Boy ever."

Logan pursed his lips. "Okay, give me that." He took the bag from me. "And get out! I need to change."

I grinned. "No problem, Steve. Take your time," I teased him one last time before leaving.

I decided it was a good time to check what Brian was up to. Just so, you know, he wouldn't have a run in with Captain America in our bathroom or something, because that would be awkward.

"Brian?" I tapped on his door. "Are you here?"

I heard a weak "Yeah", so I poked my head in. He was just buttoning up his shirt. There was a cannonball of clothes spilling from the closet, which was unusual. When it came to tidiness, Brian was a lot like Lena.

"I see your wardrobe crisis has been resolved," I said looking at his plaid shirt paired with khaki pants.

Brian turned towards me spreading his arms and looking down at his outfit. "What do you think?"

I gave him a thumbs up and whispered in my best Justin Bieber voice, "Swag, swag." Brian rolled his eyes, but couldn't suppress a smile that crept on his face. "You ready to go downstairs? Your guests will start showing up any minute now."

"Yeah, I'm ready. Are you coming down too?"

 I shook my head, my lips curling up against my will. "Not just yet, but I will be there in ten."

I made sure Brian went all the way down the stairs, I waited a minute, and knocked lightly at my bedroom door.

"I'm stark naked and in your bed!"

I snorted, twisting the knob. He thought he was being funny, but if only my dad was around…

I have to admit, when I saw Logan all geared up in Captain America's suit, it rendered me breathless for a few long seconds. He didn't have Chris Evans's impressive abs or bulging biceps, but he had wide shoulders and a smug smile that would give Chris a run for his money.

I cleared my throat. "Well, you do look convincingly enough."

Logan smirked. "Come on, you have to admit I look rather awesome."

"Not without the mask," I told him.

Logan grimaced. "Is it really necessary? It will ruin my hair."

"It's non-negotiable, so suck it up." I turned towards my closet to emphasize that the discussion was over. Also, I needed to change into something pretty for the party. I couldn't look worse than my little brother. I opted for a baseball top and a pair of denim shorts.

"Yuck!" I heard Logan's disgusted groan. When I spun around, I saw him lifting up my stinky running shorts with a pen he must have grabbed form the nightstand. "How can you keep something like that in your room?"

I shrugged. I really didn't care if he thought I was a slob.

"You're inviting a hot guy to your room and you don't spruce it up even a little bit?" Logan asked rising his brows.

I shot him my I-almost-gave-a-fuck glare. "Should I order you to clean it up?"

Immediately, he dropped the pants back on the pile of dirty clothes and a gigawatt grin split his face. "So what's the plan?"

"The plan is," I said, grabbing the clothes I'd chosen from the closet, "That you come in with the birthday cake when everybody is singing Happy Birthday. And you try not to get recognized by my father, who will burst out laughing once he realizes it's his precious QB wearing the outfit."

Logan frowned. "And how the hell am I supposed to do that?"

"You could wear the mask, for starters."

He sighed. "You always get your way, don't you?"

I just grinned in response.

* * * * *

Author's Note: It's been AGES since I've updated! I thought I would write a lot during summer, but it seems the more free time I have the lazier I get. 

I hope you've enjoyed reading this chapter. Personally, I like it a lot, but I might be biased so tell my what you think :P

XOXO

Gumiho

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.3K 1.5K 49
Lila and Sam. Sam and Lila. Ever since the Alvarez twins were born, that's how it always was. It was always Lila and Sam. Always Sam and Lila. Lila...
405K 9K 26
{Highest Ranking: #160 in Teen Fiction & #1 in Love at First Sight} Zac Logan thought he had everything. His parents were filthy rich. He was captain...
1.3K 1 73
After another lost season in the NFL, Scout Ranger is under a lot of pressure. He is tasked by his owner and general manager, who also happens to be...
2M 58.6K 77
Emma's life takes an exciting turn when she moves back to her hometown. Certain circumstances cause her to run into the schools most notorious footba...