The 6 Greatest Errors of All...

By Minna_A2

Welcome to the underground business. Where the tainted stay tainted and the pure turn stained. Where allies a... More

0. meet the errors
I. did you hear the news
II. there's a dead body
III. one of us is missing
IV. i can't trust you
V. someone isn't us
VI. illegal things
VII. errors' secret date
VIII. little troublemaker
IX. private message
X. don't be found
XI. trapped in a trance
XII. exposed identities
XIII. coffee or smoothie
XIV. code red arrived
XV. thirteen pm
a. t6 | hidden file
XVI. gas station duel
XVII. the control room
XVIII. apartment visitor
XX. pink as a rose
XXI. motors & masks
XXII. project pleiades
XXIII. ruby & gold
XXIV. queen's waltz
XXV. hide and seek
XXVI. kiss of death
XXVII. black death
XXVIII. crash the plane
XXIX. over my dead body
XXX. mother knows best
XXXI. angels don't exist
XXXII. raspberry shots
XXXIII. the storm
epilogue
a/n
BONUS | in the dark

XIX. a deal with beta

8K 622 415
By Minna_A2

"Palma de Mallorca," The man recited after her as his eyes gazed blindly into the distance in thought. She studied him curiously. She ruffled the fabric of his tie in her palm, beginning to loosen it from his neck.

Why the man was wearing such a stuffy formal attire, she had no idea. She thought she was doing him a favor by letting him breathe, but in a split second, her wrist was snatched firmly by his hands as he stopped her in mid-air.

"You're no fun," She slurred with a bored scowl, ripping her hand out of his hold.

He peered down at her questionably. "That's a city in Spain," He brought up, which startled her.

Her lips twisted into a proud smile as she leaned her body back to take a good look at the man before her. "Yes!" She praised him, "At least someone still remembers geography class."

"Yeah? You say that yet I doubt you could point it out on a map if I asked."

That unexpected counterattack took her off guard and her breath hitched uncomfortably. Her head snapped back at him in disbelief as he gave her a cool-headed look, as if mocking her.

What a strange man. What a strange relationship he must have had with that woman.

"So tell me again what the hell you were going on about how I caused you pain?" The man deadpanned as his brows twitched subtly. "Should I compose a list of your wrongdoings and we both surprise each other for Christmas?"

Did he not... remember?

"What a surprise, so you can talk," She brushed off his remark as she poked him straight in the chest. "I was beginning to think I stunned you so much with my looks that you became paralyzed earlier."

Her eyes widened when the man before her broke into a soft and low sinister laugh. Before she knew it, she had unconsciously retreated back on the couch for her safety.

What the hell was with him? Why was it that even though she knew him inside and out in the past, he still caught her off guard?

She snapped out of her thoughts when he spoke up again. "Have you forgotten," He started, his lip curling slyly in the corners of his mouth as he walked closer. Her expression darkened as she felt herself being cornered.

"—That I have seen you in your cutest state? This," He gestured his hand towards her appearance with a stoic face. "Is nothing new. Hit me with some pigtails and I might laugh sincerely. You look a mess."

Her body tensed up as her blood boiled. She pulled her legs closer to her body and wrapped her arms around her chest unconsciously. Her eyes narrowed in distaste.

Yes, how could she have forgotten? In the past, she was always a little unsure of this man. He made her feel wronged. Like she was selfish. Like she was insane. His teammates, on the other hand, were a lot easier to deal with. The way he talked now was not how he talked before. He had changed.

Which meant he no longer resembled her lover. And she could not predict him.

"Who are you?" The man suddenly dropped the question on her. "Five seconds. Five, four, three, one—"

"—What the fuck happened to two??" Her eyes dilated in disbelief.

"Oh, at least this one knows math. I was beginning to think you only paid attention during Sex Ed."

She gaped.

He ignored her and began unraveling his tie, unfazed, as he returned her stunned look with arched brows. "Are we still not talking? Should I get a little physical with you? The woman I knew from yesterday could handle a little blow to the head. Let's see if that'll wake you up—"

"—Leigh." She blurted out, backing away from him on the couch just in case his threats were true. She was beginning to think he wasn't bluffing. "Are you happy now? I'm Leigh."

"Happy?" The man tested the word on his lips. He carelessly tossed his tie on the couch's backrest before unbuttoning his suit jacket just as she came back to her senses.

"I'm the one who should be in control," She gave him a detested look. "Why are you suddenly so difficult?"

His head angled back to meet her eyes as he let out a dark chuckle. "I've always been difficult. All of a sudden you're becoming so easy. Now tell me, Risa, what games are you really playing?"

Her face darkened immediately.

That name. That despicable name.

The man observed her sudden facial changes closely while he slid off the last sleeve of his suit jacket and slung it at the end of the couch.

"I'm not Risa."

"Could've fooled me." He dismissed it without second thought. His hand unbuttoned the last button of his collar before he breathed out in relief, having finally relieved himself of his congested uniform.

Her jaw clenched in frustration and her eyes narrowed. He was taking her existence as a joke. She could be troublesome if he wanted. Two could play this game.

Her nails scratched the couch's skin as she balled up her fist. "I'm not Risa." She raised her voice in her second attempt to remain calm.

"Sure. Suddenly disowning your name doesn't change who you are. All of a sudden I have to explain that to you?"

"—I'm not RISA," She suddenly bursted into a screech, standing up. "I said I'm not! Stop calling me that. Risa Risa Risa Risa. Is that all you people can say?? I have a name!"

"'You people,'" The man continued as if she hadn't just shouted for the whole neighborhood to hear. "Who exactly are you referring to?"

Her mouth parted as she groaned at her misfortune. Her body was shaking with anger. Flirting didn't work on him, nor did anger and seemingly psychotic behaviors... so what exactly worked on him?

On second thought, how on heaven's earth did that woman handle him?

And was that woman even his weakness? Judging on how he had been treating her with his level of hospitality, they definitely didn't have a good relationship.

Then... what if they could help each other out..? It was possible that what worked for him was his work. Negotiations. Keeping a professional setting. Deals. And a whole lot of secrets.

Yes, she was sure now. Pierce wasn't always a hacker. He should be familiar with what she was planning next.

She began sitting properly as her character shifted to match his. She took in a deep breath to cure the shock she had been through in the last few minutes. "Commander." She finally got his attention as she addressed him like she did in the past.

His eyes narrowed at lightning speed. "Why are you blurting out title after title? First Beta, then Commander."

She smirked. "Are you uncomfortable because I don't call you Pierce?"

"That's not it. You're just out of character, that's all."

She angled her head and gazed at him intently. "Then I'll repeat. I'm not that woman. I'm Leigh. That woman is asleep. She won't be coming back out, at least not anytime soon. I can't let go of this body when I just got it."

"... Dissociative Identity Disorder," The man stated under his breath as he finally gave her his full attention.

She nodded with raised brows. "I see you can recall the right facts, but you're still missing something important. Your memories."

He carefully considered her words. "What do you know about it?"

"The most recent things, and my own memories," She answered, crossing her legs effortlessly as she leaned on them. "I know your past. I know her past. And I know your team's past."

"Then tel—"

She shot up and wiggled a playful finger in his face, feeling her dominance rise. "That'd be too easy, Commander. Actually, me not telling you is safest right now. You're not with your team. Tell me, have you forgotten them, or have you pests stopped caring about each other once and for all?"

He remained silent as he gave her a hard look. She forced a patient smile. "Fine, don't tell me then. You're a man with little words, after all. Then how about we do a little secret deal?"

"I'm not promising an alter anything, no thank you." The man scoffed, turning his head away as he picked up his umbrella to go put away at the front door.

"Hold your horses, damn," She laughed. "Watch out. You could be missing out on a good deal."

"If you really know who I am like you claim, then you better watch your mouth from here on out and show some fucking discipline." The umbrella landed on the ground with a loud smack and she held herself back from flinching at the sudden loud noise.  "Don't get comfortable with me just yet," The man warned dangerously under his breath.

"Discipline?" She dared to retort as he began walking back. "What are your conditions?"

"If Risa really has DID, then you're sharing her body. Don't get any sudden stupid ideas that you can live her life and turn it around to your favor."

A low laugh erupted from her. At least one thing didn't change about the man since four years ago. He was always protective of his team. The man caught on fast. And he acted fast.

Yet now she realized, he still didn't know that woman's biggest secret. What if... she was the one to spill that woman's identity..? Oh, how much fun it would be to witness her dealing with Pierce. He would destroy her and she'd never want to come out again. Priceless!

"Shut up."

She blinked twice in confusion as she snapped back to reality and stared up at him. "I didn't say anything."

"I know. Your face looked stupid and that gave it away." He scoffed with raised eyebrows.

"You've got to be kidding me," She broke character for one moment as she rolled her eyes as far back as humanly possible. "You're unbelievable. All those hackers that I could've woken up to first, yet it just had to be this asshole—"

"Way to break character."

"Shut it, I'm recovering. Give me a minute."

The man eyed her curiously as he ran a hand through his hair. "You know, Risa would've done a finer job retorting back at me. Maybe it's time to flip back if you're not going to say anything useful."

She eyed him irritably. "I can't just 'flip back.' It doesn't work like that."

"Alright, I can arrange something." He shrugged, suddenly walking back to the front door as her eyes widened. "Say, you feeling the umbrella or my shoe? Shoe's a little wet, but I'm sure that'll blend with whatever else trickles down your head so you won't notice. Actually, you wouldn't notice anything after that. Sounds like a plan."

She shot up and stumbled forward as she exclaimed, "Stop! I'll talk, I'll talk—
goddammit, I hate him so much."

He scoffed and dropped his left shoe lazily before coming back to the living room where she was. He then leaned against the wall, his arms were folded across his chest, and his eyes locked her in place.

She sighed out in irritation. Maybe she would go back to sleep after all, after she said what she had to say. She absolutely loathed this man.

"Here's my offer. You take me to m—" She stopped herself mid-way. Instead of saying it was her lover, why not have fun with his emotions and say it was that woman's lover?

"Find that woman's lover." She said instead as she finally caught the man visibly displaying a slight frown on his face before it vanished.

He shifted against the wall as he asked, "Risa had a lover?"

"Oh, she had tons darling, but we'll dismiss the others off for another time and focus on the main one," She lied with a small sigh for effect. "This man has your answers. However," She got his attention before she continued. "I have to speak to him first. Don't discuss anything with him once you find him, I'm warning you."

"Are we really throwing random threats around when one of us here barely has a body to function in?"

Her brows twitched. "Listen here, Commander. I'm being extra civil tonight. Don't push my buttons. You may have a way with words but I have a way with action. This body is also mine to freely use. What, will you protect her forever?"

She let out an amused chuckle when he stayed quiet. "As I thought, you men and your lousy testosterone. Sure, protect her when it's light out. But you can't always be by her side. I'll wake up when I want, and that woman can't fight it so long as her memories are coming back as well. She's unstable. It's my perfect opportunity!"

His jaws tensed for the first time and she felt positively enlightened. Yes! This was the expression she wanted. She was in control.

"If you hurt her, you'll only end up hurting yourself," The man confronted.

She cocked her head with a smug smile. "There are ways to hurt just one of us. Trust me. I've experienced my own pain when she thrived. Now it's her turn."

"Her turn?" He growled. "Stop speaking nonsense."

She grinned and nodded her head rapidly at him. "Aw. Are you angry? How delightful! You're more effective when you're dumb. Now, you can have a say, I'm giving that authority to you because it's fun."

"Fun." He scoffed. "You sure sound intimidating with your big vocabulary."

"Oh, sometimes big vocabulary isn't needed to mask the darker truth." She winked as he narrowed his eyes at her. "So do I have you on board or not?"

"What even is this deal? Explain it fully."

"One, find that woman's lover, " She counted off on her fingers. "Two, keep your mouth shut on everything you've heard from me today. Three, wake me up when you've found him and made sure it's him."

"If you really want him you could start by telling me what you know about him. I won't randomly know who he is."

"No. You two currently don't have a connection. It'd be suspicious for you to suddenly locate him out. But don't worry, that woman will eventually remember him. Because she has me inside her."

"And what do I get in return?" The man countered.

She smiled. "Your beloved team. Your memories. And your long-awaited revenge on the ones that wronged you."

"Revenge?" He repeated in confusion. "What exactly happened in your past?"

"Our past," She fixed her shirt. "Too much happened for you to miss out. Time is ticking. The more often I come out and see no results, the angrier I'll become. And bad things will keep happening to your team. You love them, don't you? And you're only sticking around that woman for your team, right? Well I'm offering an alternative that will resolve all of our misfortunes faster."

Seeing his unenthusiastic response, she frowned and decided to spell it out for the man. "Forget about Risa. She can't help you. That woman was the cause of you and your team's current state. So my last request for you, Commander, is to distance yourself from Risa. She's only getting in the way."

The man's face had darkened immensely. "You don't make any fucking sense."

Of course she didn't. She didn't need to. Because if he stayed away from that woman, his team would never be complete. He'll never get the answers. Like hell she would help him after finding her lover.

Naive Beta. Naive Venus.

... Venus.

Her face scrunched up at the title she hadn't heard in a while. Ah, that's right. He gave it to her, that title. That utter idiot.

The man before her snapped her back from her drowsy state as he stated, "How do I wake you up?"

For the first time, she heard a hint of hesitation in his tone. It surprised her. Sure, this was exactly what she wanted and how she imagined the talk with him would go, but she wasn't prepared for such an easy acceptance to her offer.

Then let's make it... fun.

She pondered for a moment. Though she bluffed about waking back up, it actually wasn't that easy. In some systems, alters and the host were mutuals and they talk things out. Compromise.

In that woman's headspace, however, there was darkness. Pitch-blackness and total silence. It felt like being in a vacuum. You slowly lose a sense of time and sanity the longer you were there. She and that woman didn't communicate. However, she was sure that woman envisioned a different setting for herself. One with light, sounds, and colors. That woman could feel and she could see.

Meanwhile, her alter was a prisoner.

So what, exactly, would trigger the both of them?

And then she got it.

She snapped back out, this time still a bit dazed, as she prepared to present her preposition to him. The man waited with a set frown as she rose from the couch, stepped over the lad's body, and came right up to him.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, feeling his warm skin touch her icy flesh. Intertwining her fingers, and leaning her body gently against his, she tilted her head up to meet his eyes and her mouth curled into a smirk.

"Hey, don't be like that," She whispered up at him. "Her body doesn't make you feel anything? Nothing?"

She knew he would keep that mouth of his shut even if she asked. "What a bummer," She whined, lying her head on his chest. "But you have to try harder than that."

She glanced up at him once more before her eyes teasingly traveled down to his lips. She knew he got the hint when his eyes narrowed.

"Kiss her."

Sweet laughter rose out of her throat as her finger glazed across his lips. Yes, this man could be quite romantic if he tried.

"And not just any kiss," She leaned back. "The more real the experience is for Risa, the faster I'll take over and come out. Or I might tease you a bit and drag it out if y'all would lik—"

"I'm not forcing myself on her." He cut her off sternly as he reached back, grabbed her wrist, and forcefully separated her fingers from his neck. "That's not our relationship."

She raised her eyebrows amusedly. "Oh? Well you better make arrangements, because our little sunshine is dreaming quite often about you. Oh, did she want to tell you that herself? My bad." She batted her eyes innocently before she backed away from his body.

"Don't tell that woman about me," She quickly warned him with a menacing demeanor. "You know what I'll do already. If you think I can't, then just watch me."

"You're sick."

"Where has your vocabulary gone?" She clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth with a sinister smile. "Cat got your tongue?"

The man cleared his throat and his expression was set firm again. She watched him cautiously. A change in his facial expressions never meant anything good.

"So you say I have to kiss you?" He asked with raised brows.

She blinked and squinted her eyes carefully.

"I'd like a demonstration," He suddenly declared. "What exactly do you consider a good, fake kiss? Go on, come here and try it on me."

She blinked again. "Commander, that isn't necessary. How the hell should I know?"

"I may have been surprised but I don't have amnesia," He tested her patience. "You had no problem using Risa's lips on that boy earlier. Why am I any different?"

"Well because—" She started, appalled at the accusation, "You're different."

"How?"

"You just are! I can feel that woman in my head even if she's not awake. Every time I get close to you it makes my veins tense and my flesh burn. That woman knows," She confessed. "She won't remember but she knows when I get close to you. And she's restricting."

Just like how she knows when that woman gets close to her lover.

"Your body was just on me." He stated matter-of-factly.

"That was different," She snapped, "I was trying to prove a point."

"So now prove that a kiss would trigger you. I don't believe you and I won't help you find that man. I'm already close to finding my own answers. In due time, you'd be useless to me."

Her brows twitched. He was getting on her last nerves.

"Fine." She scoffed in disbelief. "You want a demonstration? I can give you one." Irritated, she walked back up to him, determined to end their conversation.

What she had forgotten was that he was also a man of action. That he had plans up his sleeves. That her coming in for that kiss was a trap. She should have remembered. His team was made up of some of the best of the best in the world. And Beta was the best Agent in the underground business.

Sure they were all forced to be hackers, but there was only one true hacker on that team.

But that's a secret for another day.

The man, out of nowhere, grabbed her arms swiftly and wrapped it behind her body as if he was going in for a hug, yet his true intentions was to restrain her movements. He leaned in.

Her eyes widened in confusion.

And he did the despicable. Somehow, that man remembered what Risa's trigger was.

A soft kiss on the head.

Beta: Alright Risa, who's your lover?

Venus: That's the best joke I've heard all year, Commander.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

RAYNA By Ira

Adventure

1.6K 121 17
●"Don't ever think of me as a weakling I can make your life living hell if I want to."● ...
2.9M 130K 45
Highest Rank #1 in Action 14/6/16 Chevron Raynes 'accidentally' hacks into her college mainframe and finds blueprints to a billion dollar satellite b...
2.5M 112K 50
❝ A sniper doesn't always need a partner, they just need someone to give the signal. ❞ Going solo gave you a lot to ponder on, especially given a mis...
171 5 9
The Murderer...The Liar...The Cheater...The Queen. Four high school students with a major secret to hide...and now someone with threatening white not...