The Light of Elysium

By MayaR-31

Book 1 (complete) - Veterinary student Elle wants to travel, but she doesn't plan on getting pulled into a ma... More

Author's note
Prologue
1 - Dreams
2 - The Journey Begins
3 - Not in Kansas anymore
4 - Kingdom under the Mountains
5 - No way home
6 - A New Partnership
7 - A dark encounter
8 - Did someone yell for a hero
9 - Down by the lake
10 - Dance of the sun and the moon
11 - The Rainbow Isles
12 - Queen's Conquest
13 - Lammas Festival
14 - Lord of the Emerald Isle
15 - Ill met by Moonlight
16 - Agape
17 - Amongst the trees
18 - Equinox
19 - Capture
20 - Lord Nero
21 - Glimmer in the dark
22 - My sweet
#31CreepyWords
23 - Leap of Faith
24 - Flight
25 - White Water
26 - Fearful symmetry
27 - Company of wolves
28 - Falling
29 - Arcadia
30 - A new dawn
31 - Mr Sullen, Mr Mischief & Mr Silent
32 - Green does not become you
33 - Battlelines
34 - Storm
35 - The wild hunt
36 - Temptation
37 - Whiplash
38 - The Chase
39 - The white knight
40 - Mid-Winter Ball
41 - Promises
42 - The Prophecy
43 - The element of air
44 - Home is where the heart is
45 - Destiny calling
46 - Icarus
47 - Journey by night
48 - A face from the past
49 - Aldebaran
50 - Trial of the White Queen
51 - Sleep, perchance to dream
52 - Lair of the Dark King
53 - Dark dreams
54 - Dark games
55 - Winter's embrace
56 - The Ice Queen and the King of Sin
57 - Politics
58 - A truth uncovered
60 - Muse
61 - Quandary
62 - Night under the stars
63 - Bound in blood
64 - A rolling stone
65 - Waiting for a hero
66 - Pride and Prejudice
67 - Sensibility
68 - Bedouin Night
69 - Flashpoint
70 - Reunion
71 - Denial
72 - Dreams
73 - A fire kindled
74 - Touched by a Goddess
75 - Ostara
76 - The fire within
77 - Options
78 - An inescapable fate
79 - Point of no return
80 - Bereft
81 - Journey's end
Characters/Cast List
The Queen of Elysium - sneak peek

59 - Back from the edge

3.2K 263 65
By MayaR-31

(Elissa's PoV)

I am floating, insubstantial as smoke and submerged in utter darkness. Am I dead?

"Come back to me." I vaguely recognise the masculine voice, but cannot place it.

"Come back, my rose." The commanding words resound through my being, demanding attention and pulling me back to consciousness.

Gasping, I jolt awake and my eyes flash open, where they are met by stormy silver eyes staring down at me. It takes me a moment to recall who and where I am, then the memory of the vision rushes over me like floodwaters and I choke.

It is all too much; the knowledge that Isabella was my mother but that she perished in flames to save me. Then mum and dad suffered the same fate. I cannot help but wonder if I am cursed somehow.

Morpheus pulls me upright into his lap and wordlessly enfolds me in strong arms. Trembling, I bury my face in his shirt and cling onto him as if he could stop me getting swept away. His magic wraps around me like a comforting blanket.

I can tell that I'm recovering from the shock when I ponder how I am a lamb lying with the lion. Yet, I have to admit rarely have I felt as safe as I do right now.

Morpheus eases his hold and, embarrassed by my moment of weakness, I take the opportunity to slide from his lap and take a seat beside him. His fingers gently brush against the back of my hand before clenching into a fist.

"Cosmos should not have allowed you to travel in his mind in a vision of his own demise. For a moment I thought that I was going to lose you."

The intensity of his gaze is too strong, so I glance away and take in the visage of my father, who is slumped on the floor with his head bowed, eye glazed and lost in the past. Meanwhile, Celestia is pacing, her skirts swishing like the flick of an angry cat's tail.

Guilt rips through me and tears sting my eyes to see my father so broken. If not for me he would still have his wife. "I'm so sorry father. This is all my fault. Can you ever forgive me?"

Aldebaran picks himself up and kneels before me, taking both of my hands in his. "My dearest daughter, no blame lies with you. You are truly a blessing. I thank the gods that fate brought you to me."

Pulling me to my feet, he hugs me and surrounds me with his love. The mournful notes of a cello wind around us, uniting us in sorrow, while the bright tinkling notes of a harp sing of happier days to come.

Celestia shakes her head. "Such a tragedy and all down to the egos of men."

From thin air, Morpheus conjures a decanter and four crystal goblets on a silver tray. The decanter rises of its own accord and pours golden liquid into the goblets which then glide across the room into our hands.

I nurse my drink, the fumes alone enough to make me a little light headed, and try to process the information whirling around my head. If Isabella is my mother, then I was born eighty years ago, but I have only lived for twenty.

"I am only twenty, how can that be?"

Morpheus shrugs. "I never imagined that there could be a realm without magic, much less that one could travel there. Perhaps the feat required that you be sent through both time and space, or maybe time just flows differently between our realms."

His logic makes sense, but also emphasises how unlikely I am to ever see my old home or friends again.

"What I would like to understand is what Cosmos did with the Light of Elysium." Though the queen's face remains a picture of serenity, it is evident from the ice crystals in her voice that she is deeply upset.

The hairs on the back of my neck prickle and my gaze drifts to the large, gilded mirror on the wall. I shake my head and ask, "Are you worried about such a powerful weapon falling into the wrong hands?"

"Weapon!" A slight wrinkle appears on Celestia's forehead. "My mother poured nearly all of herself into creating the Light of Elysium as a force for good. It protected and nurtured Elysium for hundreds of solars. When it disappeared the realm started losing its vitality. Our race in particular has suffered. Alas, dear Altair is the only light elven child to be born since it was lost to us."

I stare at my hands. I had no idea of just how important this Light is. I guess it makes sense that I was tasked with finding it, what with my great grandmother creating it and my mother's family being responsible for guarding it. I'm doing a pretty lousy job.

The feeling of being watched once more nibbles at my consciousness and my gaze is drawn back to the mirror. It is like the sensation I got that time at Corinth.

Without thinking, I rise and cross over to stand before it. It looks just like a normal mirror, yet I can feel something beyond the glass. I reach out a hand, hovering an inch from the glass and the surface liquifies, rippling as colours mix into the silver.

An image forms and the golden-yellow eyes of the man from my vision stare back at me. He does not appear to have aged a day. Cosmos's emotions of his love for his son still linger and mix with my own more acrimonious feelings.

"Princess Elissa, it is a pleasure to finally meet you." He gives a regal bow. "I am King Lucifer."

I recall the echo of screams; my mother's screams and the hold over my emotions, already fragile, breaks allowing anger to surface. My hair ripples around me as if caught in a wind. Blue electricity crackles down my arms, sparking from my fingertips and shorting out on the ground.

"You! You killed my mother."

Suddenly Celestia steps in front of me while simultaneously Morpheus pulls me back against his chest.

"Regulus, I was not expecting you to drop in unannounced." Celestia's exterior remains as calm as ever, however, there is a steely edge to her voice, as sharp as a blade.

"Mother, it has been too long since we last conversed. What a charming niece I have. I look forward to welcoming Elissa to Avalon. I am certain she will make a perfect addition to my court.

"I think not Regulus. I am afraid she is still too young, so will remain here at Alfheimr."

"We will see." Lucifer's lip curls into a half smile and the mirror goes flat.

In a surprising fit of pique, Celestia smashes her fist against the mirror. It fractures and a spider web of cracks radiates out from the impact crater. She waves a hand and the glass softens and anneals, before solidifying once more into an intact mirrored surface.

"How was Regulus able to spy on me like that? Someone must have betrayed me." There is such fierceness to her bearing that I'm not sure whether to be terrified or awed. I certainly wouldn't want to mess with her.

"Elissa, do not fear. We will see to your safety." Celestia looks to Morpheus for confirmation.

He nods in agreement. "No one will threaten my princess."

......

Father and I are back home in the music room and he is playing piano. I am still reeling from the earlier events, but the music is helping to sooth my soul. His fingers falter on the keys as the queen glides into the room.

Aldebaran rises from the piano stool to greet her, a flicker of surprised in his tone. "Mother!"

"Son, upon reflection I think it safer if Elissa resides in the White Palace. She can have a suite close to mine."

I really don't want to move to the main palace. I like it here with my father and Darish. I need not fret just yet, for father proves that he has my back and challenges the queen.

"I beg to disagree. She is my daughter to protect."

A calm battle of wills ensues. While no voices are raised, the tension is palpable and I rub the goosebumps on my arms. Eventually the queen concedes to her son's intransigence.

"I agree on the condition that she has a personal guard." Without waiting for a response, Celestia clicks her fingers.

An intimidating figure dressed in white leather armour steps into the room. I nervously eye the silent newcomer who is nearly a head taller than me. He has an athletic body, androgynous features and shortly cropped white blond hair.

"Alex will also see to the princess's training," Celestia announces and Alex nods without displaying any sign of emotion.

Alex remains still and silent as a statue until father instructs Darish to find him a room. Celestia rises and bids us farewell until dinner. I guess another meal at the high table is in order. Yay.

"So, he's my guard?" I ask, not quite sure how to feel.

"Yes." Father quirks a smile. "Or more accurately she. All of mother's inner guards are female. They have sworn complete fealty to her. You can be assured that Alex will forfeit her life to defend you, should it be required."

I sigh. Alfheimr is a place of refined elegance and culture, however, it rather lacks soul. I yearn for the wild beauty of nature. Still I would rather have an austere guard like Alex than lose further freedom by being incarcerated in the palace.

..........
AN - the song is Other side by Ruelle.

Elissa understands a bit more about the importance of the Light of Elysium.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

105K 1.3K 12
Only the first 10 chapters are open.. NOW ON AMAZON! PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK IT OUT AND SHOW ME SOME LOVE! COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT EACH AND EVE...
132K 7K 92
Josh dreams of dragons. He thinks it's just a welcome escape from everyday life. Until one morning, he wakes up with scales, wings, and a tail. Josh...
1K 309 23
UPDATIONS: Completed NOTE: Story is in journal format "And by prophecy shall it be revealed... Two made by the bond of the halfling's blood... Shall...
320 45 24
Amantha is not ready to be anything other than a wild, tomboy princess, but when tragedy strikes this unlikely royal is called upon to rule a kingdom...