Fragile Hearts (TID - Will He...

By rebourntrees

" 'Who is she?' Jessamine demands. 'She's my Friend,' Jem says calmly. 'My best friend, actually.' 'I th... More

Proluge
Chapter 1: CLOCKWORK ANGEL
Chapter 2: Introductions
Chapter 3: Dust and Shadows
Chapter 5: Massive Charades Game
Chapter 6: De Quincey
Chapter 7: The Start Of The War
Chapter 8: The Binding Ring
Chapter 9: Not The London Hospital
Chapter 10: The Clockwork Creatures
Chapter 11: Nathaniel Gray
Chapter 12: Mortmain
Chapter 13: Mizpah
Chapter 14: Mrs Dark
Chapter 15: The Automatons
Chapter 16: The Revelations
Chapter 17: The Sanctuary
Chapter 18: Not Your Name
Chapter 19: CLOCKWORK PRINCE
Chapter 20: Hearing Screams
Chapter 21: The Curse
Chapter 22: The Nightmare
Chapter 23: Long Week
Chapter 24: The Periwinkle Demon
Chapter 25: I Know
Chapter 26: The Lightwoods
Chapter 27: Why?
Chapter 28: To Yorkshire
Chapter 29: At Yorkshire
Chapter 30: Ravenscar Manor
Chapter 31: Return Journey
Chapter 32: Ifrits Den
Chapter 33: Morning
Chapter 34: The Actor
Chapter 35: Masquerade
Chapter 36: Schlange
Chapter 37: German
Chapter 38: Life Source
Chapter 39: The Metal Explosion
Chapter 40: The Beginning of Hope
Chapter 41: 16 Cheyne Walk
Chapter 42: Confessions
Chapter 43: Demon Pox
Chapter 44: The Bridge and the Sky
Chapter 45: Dinner
Chapter 46: CLOCKWORK PRINCESS
Chapter 47: The Worm
Chapter 48: The Sister
Chapter 49: The Drug
Chapter 50: Woosley Scott
Chapter 51: Consul's Visit
Chapter 52: The Lightwood Brothers
Chapter 53: Burnt Hands
Chapter 54: Anything For Love
Chapter 55: Jessie's Return
Chapter 56: Tell Me
Chapter 57: That Is What It Means
Chapter 58: Not Dead Yet
Chapter 59: Goodbyes
Chapter 60: First Days of a Long Journey
Chapter 61: Parabatai
Chapter 62: The Fight With Werewolves
Chapter 63: The Knife and Blood
Chapter 64: The Small Welsh Town
Chapter 65: The Making Of The Plans
Chapter 66: The Worrying Process
Chapter 67: Take the Leader Out and his Pack is Yours
Chapter 68: The Aftermath of a Battle
Chapter 69: Waking Up
Chapter 70: Recovery From Tragedy
Chapter 71: Merry Christmas
Chapter 72: The Lovalaces
Chapter 73: Learn To Bear It
Chapter 74: The Christmas Gifts
Chapter 75: Back To Origins
Epilogue (Part 1)
Epilogue (Part 2)
🤘Author's Note🙃

Chapter 4: The Mystery

2.6K 93 28
By rebourntrees

Will didn't like how much Eleanora intrigued him. She was a mystery in a mystery. And he wanted the mystery solved.

He hated her for her stupid name. Everyone—especially Jem—started calling her Ella. It brought painful memories, and it hurt to look at her. She reminded him a bit of his Ella. Determined and caring both at the same time. She was only like that to Jem, though.

  She was barely interested when Tessa had changed, even less when she transformed back to herself.

  Now, at night, he silently opened his room door, only to see Eleanora open her's from across him.

  She looked at Will. Why was she awake? It was midnight now.

  "Of all the people," She muttered.

  "What are you doing up at this hour?" Will demanded.

  "I could ask the same of you," Eleanora said. "Are you going out to get drunk? Have a night with some women? Jem told me that was the excuse."

  "No," Will said carefully. "Neither of that."

  Eleanora studied him. Then she said, "you're going for Jem. To get yin fen."

  "You know about his addiction."

  "Of course I do. I'm going with you."

  "No. It's a far walk. I can't have your little legs giving out halfway. I will not carry you back to the Institute. Trust me, many ladies have tried that trick on me and failed to charm me," Will said, shaking his head.

  "You can't stop me from going," Eleanora said stubbornly. "I'll prove to you that I can make the walk. If my 'little legs give out halfway', you can leave me on the road. Deal?"

  Will narrowed his eyes at this girl. She was only at his eyebrows, her green blue eyes shining with determination and annoyance.

  She was honestly a sight to behold, with her bold crown of auburn hair flowing around her face, her back straight, a knife hidden at her boot. She wore a plain white dress which touched the ground. Like an angel, except that she had an expensive looking velvet red cloak that was clasped at her neck with a green emerald. It flowed to her feet, and the hood wasn't drawn up.

  "Fine," Will said, voice hard. "Come along now."

  The two both went downstairs. Will tried to outmatch her walking pace but she was relentless. Silently, they both headed out of the Institute.

  "You know, Jem spoke highly of you," Eleanora said. "He said that though you're harsh to everyone, he believes you're a better person on the inside."

  Will tensed. "Jem believes there's good in everyone."

  "No he doesn't," Eleanora said defensively. "Either way, Herondale, I think you're hiding something."

  Will scowled. "I'm hiding a lot of things."

  Eleanora looked up at him. "I see how you act around Jem. You're absolutely different around him." She then grinned. Will averted his eyes. "And to everyone else. . . it's like you're a sarcastic annoying brick of ice."

Will shrugged. "I've been called worse."

"Is it because he is dying?"

A muscle in Will's jaw twitched. He gritted his teeth. She was more observant than she let on.

"Stop asking me questions," Will said.

Eleanora eyed him suspiciously. Will consciously didn't look her way.

"Either way, Liam, I think you have a secret. I'm going to find out."

~

They reached the ifrits den. Will was surprised that Eleanora managed to walk the whole way.

"You know what I want, Miss," Will said, winking at the lady.

The lady grin. "Back again so soon, William? Nonetheless. Give me five minutes."

"Cozy place here," Eleanora muttered, shivering. Because of the cold or because of the sight before her, Will didn't know.

"Scared?" Will teased.

Eleanora scowled. "No."

There was a fire about this girl who could look directly in his eyes and not blush that made Will even more intrigued.

  Even so, he hated her. Was jealous of her, even. He wanted to push her as far away from him as possible. Just because she could unveil him piece by piece.

They stood in silence for a while, waiting for the lady to return. When she finally did, she was holding a bag of yin fin, enough to last Jem three months or so.

Will snatched at it, handing her the cash. "Let's go."

Will grabbed at Eleanora's arm roughly, shoving her out of the den. Eleanora scowled up at Will. She seemed to only scowl at him.

  "Talk about bipolar," She muttered when the door had slammed shut.

  "Here you can carry this bag," Will said, and he promptly tossed the bag of yin fen at Eleanora.

  Eleanora managed to catch it with ease. Will had to admit he was impressed. Remember the curse.

  "How gentlemanly," said Eleanora.

~

  When they arrived back at the Institute, Eleanora handed the bag to Will.

  "Look at that, Herondale. My little legs didn't give out halfway. Neither did my arms," She said snidely.

  Then she ran into the Institute.

  Will, sure that no one was watching, grinned.

  He slowly made his way up to Jem's room. The door was slightly ajar, and when he pushed it open, he realised that Jem and Eleanora were inside, talking quietly. They both immediately fell silent when Will entered.

  He felt a spur of jealousy in him which he stamped done. Jem was his parabatai. Will always came first.

  "Will," Jem smiled. "What are you doing up so late?"

  Will held up the bag of yin fen. "For you."

  He set it down near Jem's silver box.

  "I, for one, think it's a great idea," Eleanora whispered.

  "Ella, no. It's too dangerous," Jem said.

  "What are you two talking about?" Will demanded.

  Eleanora looked at Will with her beautiful eyes. Her eyes always seemed to contain determination and mischief in them. Enough of both to make them so attractive.

  "Camille's plan, of course," Eleanora said. "I told Jem we didn't require your assistance."

  "Of course you do. Everyone always requires my assistance," said Will.

  Eleanora looked at Jem. "Honestly, dear Jem, how do you put up with such a nuisance?"

  Will scoffed. "I'm hardly a nuisance. Everyone loves me."

  Eleanora's eyes narrowed. "Really, Liam? I thought it was rather on the contrary. You seem to be set on making everyone hate you."

  Will scowled. If he wasn't careful, this girl could spill all his secrets.

  "Maybe I just really don't like you," snapped Will.

  "Will," Jem said, "please don't be rude."

  "Either way, Jem, I will talk to you tomorrow," Eleanora said, then frowned. "Actually, Jem, I may head out tomorrow. My Friend wanted to meet me at the house to offer condolences."

"Your Friend?" Will couldn't help but blurt out, curiosity getting the better of him.

Eleanora smirked. "You'll start to find, Herondale, that I have many interesting friends. This particular Friend that I am meeting may intrigue you."

"I don't know. Not many people intrigue me," said Will.

"Trust me, if you met this one, you will be intrigued," Eleanora said. Then she headed out.

Will looked at Jem. "I'm starting to question your taste in friends."

Jem smiled. "She's always like that. She loves to keep people guessing. You'll get used to it."

"I'd rather solve the mystery, James."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

262K 16.8K 81
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
222K 5.8K 25
Clover Ackerley. Hufflepuff. Kind. Shy. Timid. Of half-blood descent. Has a knack for quill drawing, but nobody's taken the time to know. Newt Scama...
288K 6.3K 33
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
233K 5.7K 33
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc