The Way We Feel

By laura_writes

The SEQUEL to Out of the Ordinary and A Love Like Ours We shouldn't have met. That much was obvious right f... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
THANK YOU

Chapter 33

5.5K 282 51
By laura_writes

"Excuse me," I said, a bit more loudly this time. But the man standing at the top of the stairs leading out of the subway still didn't move. So I was forced to cut someone off on the other side of the stairs, stopping the steady stream on that side for a brief moment, but I still heard the person behind me huff their annoyance.

So I sent a dirty look at the man who had held me up in the first place, and rolled my eyes when it was apparent he hadn't even noticed.

Maybe something was wrong, a small voice whispered in the back of my mind. He seemed older, maybe he couldn't hear. Or maybe he didn't understand English.

That voice begged me to be sympathetic as I reached the sidewalk, annoyed that I was running late and that he'd just held me up a few seconds more—it begged me to think about all the other possibilities other than the one my mind kept returning to:

He was just an asshole.

But today, I liked that particular explanation. It satisfied the seemingly endless frustration I'd woken up with this morning. I'd been irritated from the second I opened my eyes, feeling like I hadn't slept a wink. Irritated because I could really use a cup of coffee, but I'd been really good about not having coffee throughout the pregnancy, and I was annoyed by how badly I wanted some.

I'd done my research. I knew that there was conflicting evidence about the effect of coffee on pregnancy. I knew that most of it came to one conclusion—the more you drank, the more likely it was that you might suffer a miscarriage. But from what I'd read, that was only relevant to the very early stages, and I was about twenty weeks along. Still, I'd cut coffee out of my life at the start of this pregnancy, fearful of doing anything that might harm the baby, and I was still fearful.

But this morning... I figured one cup wouldn't hurt.

And then I was annoyed with myself for giving in.

The frustrated, irritated, exhausted feelings followed me all the way to work, all the way through class. At one point, I'd snapped at a student to put their phone away with a tone I didn't normally use, and I could tell that I'd surprised the other students—their wide eyes and glances toward each other told me as much—but I couldn't find it in me to care.

It was rude, and he deserved it.

Then of course, I handed back their graded papers, and everyone had a question about some of my comments. I told them I had to leave, that I had an appointment to get to, but they should email me, and I'd answer when I could.

Which didn't stop two of them from following me out of the classroom, with "just a quick question" about something I'd written—which I didn't even remember writing because I'd graded those papers three days ago in a state of complete exhaustion.

Which wasn't fair to them, I'll admit it. But I was pregnant, and happily so, but I also got tired pretty easily, too.

Still, days like today were not the norm. Especially considering I was well within my second trimester, and happy to be here. Today just—today was just one of those days.

My phone buzzed in my hand as I stomped down the street, practically groaning thanks to the sweltering heat of this July day, and I knew who it was before looking.

Mom.

Where are you?

I didn't bother texting her back, just hurried up even, grateful for the "walk" sign as I rushed across the street. I'd be there in two minutes if nothing else went wrong.

And there she was standing outside the building, looking at her phone through glasses perched low on her nose, her bag dangling from the crook of her arm.

"Oh, there you are," she said when she heard me and looked up.

I kissed her on the cheek and hoped she wouldn't say anything more after I said, "I know I'm late."

"I was worried. You weren't answering your phone," she was saying as I headed inside, holding the door open for her, "And I didn't know if I should go in, or if I should wait. But then I couldn't remember your doctor's name anyway, so I couldn't tell what floor she's on."

I pressed the button for the elevator, breathing heavily, sweating more than I wanted to be from the heat, and her voice was already grating on my nerves.

"I figured you weren't answering because you were on the subway, but of course, my mind went to worse things, too. Like you were hurt or lying somewhere in a ditch or—"

"I just got stuck at school, Mom. And the subway took a little longer than expected," I said, trying not to sound exasperated as the elevator doors finally opened on our floor.

"I thought that might've happened, too," she said, following me onto the elevator, still talking as I pressed the button for the third floor. "But then I thought that since you scheduled the appointment, surely you would've given yourself enough time between finishing up work and arriving on time. But I suppose as much as we try, some things you can't plan for."

When she finally stopped talking, I didn't bother responding.

I was afraid to set her off again.

"So, how exciting is this, hm?" she said then, as the elevator came to a soft stop on the third floor.

The doors opened as I tried to summon my excitement. "So exciting."

We walked down the hallway, and all of my focus was on finally getting into the office when Mom said, "Well, you could sound a little more excited, Madelyn. It's not every day you find out the sex of your first child."

I sighed and stopped just outside the door, knowing she was right, as much as that annoyed me.

"I'm sorry," I said, squeezing my eyes shut for a moment. I was still breathless from rushing here, my insides felt like they were all twisted up in irritation, and I was hot and sticky from my short, but hurried walk over here from the subway.

Not to mention Harry wasn't here.

As much as I was grateful to my mom for stepping in, I really wished he was.

"I'm just... It's been a rough day, that's all."

Mom's brows nudged together in sympathy. "Are you missing Harry?"

"No, I—I mean, yes, but it—it's not—"

"I understand, honey. I'm sure you'd much rather he was here with you than me."

"No, that's not it, I—"

Of course I missed Harry. I always missed him when he was away. Even if it was only for a few days like it was this time. He was in L.A. for a couple meetings, and he'd only left two days ago.

"But he's coming back tonight, right?"

"He is," I said, feeling like I was running a race on a treadmill. "But my missing him doesn't mean I'm not happy to have you with me. I'm just—I'm just weirdly annoyed by everything today."

"Oh, so it's not just me annoying you? That's a nice change of pace."

Her smirk made me smile.

Laugh a little. "Sorry."

"It's okay," she said, then shrugged. "I'm used to the hostility."

"Love being known for that," I quipped as I opened the door to my doctor's office.

"Oh wow, we came at a good time," Mom said from behind me, and I scanned the empty office. "No one's here."

I bit my tongue, telling myself not to give her a sarcastic response, and instead, strode toward the receptionist, Delilah, and smiled when her brows rose, when her smile grew.

"Hey there," she said, looking from me to the computer. "I was wondering where you were."

"Sorry, I know I'm late."

"Dr. Rodriguez is running late too, so no worries. Just have a seat, and she'll be with you in the next few minutes."

"Perfect," Mom muttered from behind me. "See? This works out perfectly."

I didn't answer her, just took a seat and tried to stop sweating.

"Oh look, they have People magazine. You like People, don't you?" Mom asked. I glanced from the magazine to her, and tried to rein in my annoyance.

"I used to," I said.

Before I started showing up in it.

She started flipping through it without saying anything more, so I sat there, taking slow, deep breaths, trying to drum up some excitement. Trying to remember what today would mean. How things would change.

I would know a little bit more about this baby today. My baby. Harry's baby. We were going to find out if it was a boy or a girl.

Things had steadily been getting more and more real since we'd told our families about the pregnancy. Since we'd gotten through my first trimester without incident, since we'd made it past the fourteen-week mark that had frightened me after the twelve-week mark. It was when I'd had my first miscarriage after all—after everyone told me that I was in the clear, that things would be perfect from then on out.

It annoyed me now just thinking about it. How wrong everyone had been. How sure they'd been anyway.

How much the result had killed me.

But that wasn't what I wanted to think about now. I only wanted to think about this baby. Only wanted to feel excitement and joy over what I was going to find out today.

Without Harry by my side.

He'd been so upset when he realized that I had an appointment he wouldn't make. He'd even talked about canceling his trip out to L.A.—which he really couldn't do because it was the only work trip he had scheduled for the last few months, and the few months ahead of us. I knew that Jeff would freak out on him if he tried to back out of it now, but I also knew he'd regret it later if he didn't go. And it wasn't like he hadn't been to all my other appointments, and I'd told him as much the other night when we talked about it.

"Yeah, but this one's a really important one, isn't it?" he'd said then, his forkful of salad halfway between his plate and his mouth. "This is the one every parent looks forward to."

"I don't have to find out at this one, Harry. We can wait until the next one."

He thought about that for a second as I continued eating my chicken. He'd made dinner that night, and it was delicious. And I was starving.

I'd always been a hungry girl—I'd always loved to eat.

But I hadn't known hunger before second trimester pregnancy.

Hungry was now one of my ever-present moods.

"But I don't want to wait any longer to know either," he said, laughing a little bit at himself.

I smiled and swallowed my mouthful of chicken. "You're impossible."

He was still chuckling adorably at himself. Which had me laughing along with him.

"So I'll find out by myself then?"

He sighed, sobering enough to say, "Can't you have someone go with you? Your mum or Emily? Or Jenny maybe?"

"I can ask."

"Yeah. I'd feel better if someone was there with you."

I had to smile. I'd been going to the gynecologist by myself for years, but now that I was pregnant—it was cute that he was concerned about me going alone. "I'm sure one of them will be able to come."

"Okay," Harry said with a nod of his head, finally eating the bite of salad that had been hanging out on his fork for the last few minutes.

I stabbed a few pieces of lettuce myself, hearing him crunch beside me, and thought about not saying it, but then, "You know... we could just—not find out."

We'd toyed with the idea several times. And I kept going back and forth about it in my head. It wasn't like whether it was a boy or a girl changed anything for us. We'd talked about it, and we were both thrilled either way. And it wasn't like we wanted to know so that we could decorate the baby's room—neither of us bought into that "blue is for boys, pink is for girls" crap.

No. We didn't want to find out for any other reason than we couldn't wait to know.

But maybe that wasn't a good enough reason. Especially if we weren't going to be able to find out together.

Harry bounced in his chair a bit, still chewing. Then, he swallowed. "I know, but... I really want to know."

I laughed again, my heart fluttering a bit as my hand went down to my stomach.

My very distinct round bump.

Harry's hand covered mine a moment later.

"Okay," I'd said, holding my baby in the palm of my hand, staring at the love of my life—my baby's father—as he smiled right back at me. "I'll ask Mom and Em."

"How does JLo never age?" Mom asked, pulling me out of my thoughts. She was holding up the magazine for me to see a photo of Jennifer Lopez on the red carpet at some event, looking as beautiful as ever.

That was one thing I wasn't feeling these days—beautiful. Or even just pretty. Cute. Attractive.

I was feeling large and in charge.

And hungry. Always hungry.

And today, annoyed at everything up to and including how fucking good JLo looked in that photo. How good she looked all the time.

I didn't have time to work through my annoyance to answer before the door to the offices opened and one of the nurses called, "Madelyn?"

I tried to smile as I stood, but I was still a bit sticky, and Mom was already muttering breathlessly about how fast they were taking us in considering we were late, and she was already introducing herself to the nurse—whose name was Jennifer—and saying how much she loved her hair color.

"Thank you," Jennifer said, running the hand that wasn't holding my chart down her long, auburn hair.

"Is that your natural color?" Mom asked as Jennifer led us into a room.

"Oh, no," Jennifer said with a laugh. "I'm actually blonde, but I've had the red for a while now."

"Oh, well it suits you," Mom said, smiling as she sat down in a chair just across from the examination table. Or chair. Whatever the hell it was called.

"Thank you!" Jennifer said, already removing the blood pressure cuff from it's place on the wall and turning her attention to me. "So, Madelyn, how have you been feeling?"

"Hungry," I said, realizing it had been hours since I'd had a meal, and the granola bar I'd shoved down my throat on the subway had done next to nothing to curb my appetite. Jennifer and my mother laughed.

"Well, that's pretty normal, but any pain or bleeding to report?" She circled the blood pressure cuff around my arm.

"Nope," I said, a bit anxious at the suggestion of any pain or bleeding.

Which was ridiculous.

"Good," she said as the blood pressure cuff tightened on my arm. She watched the monitor as it squeezed, and when it finally let go, she said, "Blood pressure's good. Let's check your weight, okay?"

I tried not to groan aloud as I stood up and got myself on the scale after removing my shoes. But Jennifer didn't comment on my weight as she scribbled it down on my chart.

"The doctor's been busy today, huh?" Mom asked then.

And Jennifer smiled as she replied, "Yeah. She delivered a baby this morning, so things got a little backed up."

"Well, it worked in our favor. Madelyn was a little late anyway."

I sat on the examination table/chair thing again and tried not to roll my eyes.

"It's always nice when things work out, right?" Jennifer scribbled a few more things in my chart.

I tried to smile when she grinned up at me while Mom answered, "Oh definitely!"

Jennifer was still smiling as she said, "The doctor will be in shortly, okay?"

She was already heading out the door as I said, "Okay, thank you."

It wasn't until she was gone that Mom felt the need to say, "Well, you certainly are in a mood, aren't you?"

I sighed. "I'm pregnant."

"Being pregnant doesn't give you the right to be rude."

"I wasn't rude!"

"You were cold."

"I'm not trying to be. And cold is different than rude."

Mom huffed.

Her arms were crossed and she was just finishing up rolling her eyes when I glared at her. "Today's just not a great day, okay? I told you, I woke up in a funk. Your passive aggressiveness is not helping."

"Well..." Mom started to say, in that way that told me she was offended, but she wasn't going to let me know it. "Let's hope seeing your baby will snap you out of it."

It was my turn to roll my eyes. But she wasn't wrong.

I hoped it would snap me out of it, too.

We were quiet then as we waited for the doctor to come in. And I did my best to feel better. Because even though I was hungry, and today had already been tiring and annoying, and even though I'd spent the last two nights alone in bed missing Harry, it was automatically a good day because of this appointment.

Even though I hated doctors. Even though coming here still scared me to some extent.

Because in some ways, I still felt like I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Each month, each week, each day that passed without incident was both a relief and a whole new source of anxiety.

And maybe that was finally starting to take its toll.

Maybe I needed this appointment in more ways than one.

A couple knocks sounded at the door not long later, and my heart lurched as the doctor strolled in.

Doctor Charles was a young woman—maybe in her late thirties. She smiled brightly at me, her glasses framing her brown eyes, her braids tied back away from her face, her brown skin smooth and as warm as her smile. "Hi Madelyn. How we doing today?"

"I'm doing well." She glanced at my mom. "This is my mom, Michelle."

"Nice to meet you, doctor," Mom said.

"Nice to meet you, too," Dr. Charles said, letting go of Mom's hand after shaking it.

"I'm very excited to see the baby," Mom said. "It'll be my first time seeing it!"

She looked and sounded so genuinely excited—sitting there all smiley with her back completely straight—I felt awful for being so short with her this whole time.

"Well, pull up your chair so that you can get a good look," Dr. Charles said, grinning from ear to ear. It was part of what I loved about her. She was always smiling. Then she looked at me. "So, how are you doing?"

I took a deep breath as Mom pulled her chair up beside me, suddenly feeling a little breathless. My heart was pounding. "Pretty good," I said with an attempt at a smile. "Pretty excited to see the baby. I've been feeling a little out of sorts today, but physically I'm doing well. "

"Good, glad to hear that." She looked at my chart. "Unfortunately, pregnancy comes with a lot of emotional ups and downs. Your blood pressure and weight look great though. And no pain or bleeding to report?"

"Nope."

"Wonderful." She set my chart aside again. "Well, today we're going to do your twenty-week ultrasound. We're just gonna check out the baby's general growth, and we'll even be able to tell the baby's sex if that's something you'd like to do."

"It is, but since Harry's not here, could you not tell us and just write it down?"

"What?!" Mom practically screeched.

I looked at her where she sat next to me—her eyes wide and on me, her mouth ajar—and almost laughed. "I don't want to know before he does."

"We could just call him," Mom said, smiling and attempting to be pleasant again, and not lash out like a crazy person in front of my doctor.

"That would still mean knowing before he does. And I don't want him to find out over the phone anyway."

"You still have time to decide. That can be the last thing we discuss, if you'd like," Dr. Charles said, looking between me and my mother with some amusement in her eyes.

Mom stayed quiet, and Dr. Charles came up beside me on my other side, where the ultrasound machine was all set up. "Just lie back for now, Madelyn, and lift your shirt up so we can get to your belly."

I did as I was told.

It was probably the longest ultrasound I'd had so far, and not just because Mom was beside me the whole time trying to convince me to find out now. But it was still wonderful—to be able to hear the heartbeat again, stronger than it was before, to be able to stare at the baby again, that distinct, moving shape in my womb.

I'd been able to feel it a few times—the baby's movement. And every time it happened, I was almost sure it didn't. Because so far, I'd only felt a little blip, and then nothing at all right after. Harry still hadn't been able to feel it. The first time it happened I was at work, luckily between classes—because I froze completely, marveling at the feeling. Then started crying when I realized what it was, and had kept my hands on a belly for a few minutes afterwards, begging the baby to move some more.

I told Harry about it, and he was so disappointed he hadn't been there. And the few times it had happened afterwards, he was either not there, or there, but not quick enough to feel it.

It would happen again, I told him. Hoping with everything in me that it was true.

Mom cried before the appointment was over. Actually before the ultrasound had really started. As soon as she heard the heartbeat, there were tears in her eyes and she was clutching my hand. And the longer the doctor went on about how everything looked good—it's height, it's heart, the size of its head—the more emotional she became.

She wasn't the only one. As soon as she started crying, so did I. Then it was just the two of us crying in there, and Dr. Charles being as calm and understanding as she always had been.

I think Mom understood when, by the end of the appointment, I had Dr. Charles write down the baby's sex and fold it up for me. I think that after seeing the baby, after finally getting to experience just how real all of this was, she felt she could wait a little longer to know whether it was a boy or girl.

She didn't say that, but when she only wiped her tears and smiled, saying how beautiful it was, how much she loved me, she didn't need to.

We left smiling, my horrible mood completely gone, just as I'd hoped, and Mom was still smiling when she dropped me off at home before heading home herself. I promised to tell her the baby's sex as soon as Harry knew.

And I busied myself cleaning until it was time to get dinner ready. It was too tempting to look at what Dr. Charles had written down, so I stuck the folded piece of paper in an envelope and sealed it as a way to hold myself accountable.

I couldn't break the seal.

That was for when Harry got here.

Which would be soon, I kept reminding myself.

Our families had asked us if we'd considered doing a gender reveal party. And while neither of us were particularly against it, we also weren't exactly enamored with the idea. Not only because we didn't buy into the whole "blue is for boys, pink is for girls" nonsense, but mostly because we felt it was something that we should celebrate first, together... alone.

Not to mention, so much of our lives was shared with the world, just by virtue of who Harry was. Everyone knew I was pregnant just because I'd been photographed with a bump, and those photographs had been sold to media outlets all over the world.

This—whether our baby was a boy or girl—we wanted to keep to ourselves. Especially our initial reactions. Our families and close friends would know soon enough.

But thinking that far ahead was driving me crazy while I waited for Harry to get here, because I had the information right here, and I couldn't even look.

By the time I heard the front door open hours later, I couldn't stop myself from racing to greet him.

Harry's eyes widened as I hurtled into the foyer. And his smile was quick to follow.

"Miss me that much, did you?"

I didn't even have the energy to joke with him. All I said was, "I haven't looked yet and it's killing me."

"Hm," Harry said, sunglasses pushed into his hair as he set his bag down after dropping his keys into the bowl on the table. "I missed you too."

"Sorry," I said as he reached for me, and I grabbed onto his forearms before his hands could reach my waist. "I missed you too, and I've had a weird day emotionally, and you'll have to forgive me because right now all I care about is that envelope because I've spent hours alone with it and I've been really good about not opening it, and now you're home and I don't think I can last much longer."

Harry was looking at me in that way that he had the day we met—when I babbled on for too long and thought I'd made a fool of myself. His cheeks dimpled as his lips pressed together in a smile, his eyes went kind of soft and sharp all at once, focusing in on me with affection swimming in the green, amusement a prick of light in his pupils.

Then his lips came forward and met mine, and...

Oh my.

I'd missed him.

My arms went around his neck as his tongue touched mine, and my body came alive with such force, I was on my tiptoes pressing myself into him, feeling his strong hands on my waist, his body warm and hard against mine, the strength of his shoulders beneath this thin, soft white t-shirt, his hair between my fingers, the smell of his cologne...

I was dizzy when he pulled away, only far enough that his lips detached from mine.

Dizzy and aroused.

"Hi," he said, his fingers pressed against my ribs, his eyes gazing into mine.

I couldn't look away, and I smiled like I had the day we met—like a giddy teenager. "Hi."

His hands came around to my stomach then, putting space between our bodies until I was forced to let go. "How's our little one?"

I realized I hadn't even bothered to tell him that everything had gone well at the doctor. Which wasn't all that crazy considering he'd just walked in, and I'd bombarded him. "Good. Everything looks great." My hands came to my belly as well, covering his. "We have a healthy baby cooking in there."

"And we're about to find out if it's a boy or girl," Harry said, some of that excitement I'd been counting on finally presenting itself.

I gripped his hand and started pulling him towards the kitchen. "I'm starving, and I know you probably are too after your flight, but seriously, I can't wait any longer so I hope you don't mind doing this now."

"There's nothing else I'd rather do," Harry said as I pulled him into the kitchen and set him down in a seat.

Then I pulled out the step-stool and set it down in front of the fridge.

"What are you doing?" he asked.

I stood on it and reached up into the cabinet. "I put the—"

"You didn't put it in there..." Harry was laughing, his face incredulous.

I slid the envelope out from between a bunch of bowls we rarely used, and was too anxious to even feel a shade of embarrassment. "I was afraid if I didn't put a bunch of roadblocks in my way, I'd give into temptation before you could get here."

He was really laughing now, but still came around the counter to hold my hand as I stepped down from the step-stool. "You..." he kissed my cheek, "are delightful."

"Why does that sound like another word for 'crazy' in this instance?"

He laughed some more. "This baby better be just like you."

I smiled now, unable to help myself, and held the envelope out to him. "You do it."

"Me?" He took the envelope.

"I'm too excited and anxious to do it myself," I said, backing away from him as my hands went to my stomach, then came up to cover my mouth.

"You mean after all those hours waiting, you don't want to rip this envelope open?"

I shook my head. "I want you to do it."

I wanted to know as badly as I had earlier—all day. But I wanted to see his reaction first. Before I knew myself, I wanted to see his face as this next little truth about our baby was revealed to him.

"Okay," he said over a quick breath, his smile turning somewhat anxious now. He angled toward the stools at the counter again, then thought better of it and stood right where he was, looking at me. "I don't know if I want to be sitting down or standing."

"Standing for me. I don't think I can sit."

"I don't think I can either." The excitement was palpable in his voice, visible in his whole body. His long legs, clad in jeans despite the heat, his narrow waist, his broad shoulders—holy Jesus, my mouth was watering again.

I had to refocus myself. Pregnancy was weird that way.

Harry's fingers slid beneath the flap and he started ripping it open.

I was bouncing on my toes and trying to keep breathing. "Oh God. Okay. Okay."

He pulled the paper out and licked his lips as his eyes fixed on it. He set the envelope down on the counter.

I shook my hands out, not knowing what else to do with my anticipation. It was buzzing through me, straining my lungs and causing my heart to pound against my ribs.

"Okay, okay," I repeated to myself as he started unfolding it.

Then stopped.

"Holy shit, we're about to find out if it's a boy or a girl!" All the words came out on one breath.

"Just open it!" I practically shouted, almost laughing I was so breathless.

Slowly—so slowly I almost ripped it out of his hands—he did just that.

My hands were over my mouth as I watched his eyes find the words, as I watched them shift over those words. And I felt myself whimper, tears burning my eyes, as those words registered on his face, as his brows pulled together, as his smile widened, as his hand came up to cover it, as tears filled his eyes.

"What is—"

"It's a girl," he said, his watery eyes, his bright, dimpled smile, so beautiful, it almost hurt to look at him as he looked at me. He blew out a breath of laughter as a tear trickled down his cheek. "We're having a baby girl."

I gasped, and the paper crinkled as I tore it from his hands, as I read the words Dr. Charles had written: Congratulations, it's a girl!

Harry's hands were over his mouth again, covering his nose, too. And I looked from the paper to him and back again before looking into his eyes once more. "It's a girl?"

"It's a girl," he confirmed. "We're having a—"

I threw myself into his arms as he said "girl" one more time, and he lifted me off my feet, leaving me barely able to breathe as tears streamed down my face. I could feel him shaking against me with his own tears, but felt like I couldn't speak. Felt like I couldn't do anything but cry.

And smile.

I didn't think I'd ever stop smiling.

Harry set me down, pulled back, and took my face in his hands, brushed my hair back with his fingers, then kissed me. Not in the way he had before, like he had all the time in the world.

But in a way that told me he needed to. Just as much as I needed the kiss from him.

"It's a girl," I whispered when he pressed his forehead against mine. He laughed unabashedly then, making me laugh along with him, even as tears continued to stream down our cheeks. "We're having a little girl."

He was still laughing when he said, "I love you so much."

And I was still laughing as I kissed him again, and said against his lips, "I love you."

His hands cupped my belly then, and he plopped down on his knees to kiss it, to wrap his arms around me and press his cheek against it.

And when the baby—our daughter—kicked in that moment, when his eyes widened as he looked from my stomach to me and back again, when his hands moved over my belly waiting for another kick that actually came, we laughed until we couldn't breathe, and I knew, without a shade of doubt, it was the happiest moment of my life.

___ 

Author's Note:

I hope this one finds you well, babes! I didn't have time to do my usual edits on it, so please forgive any errors you may find. I hope it brought a smile to your face regardless! It certainly made me smile while writing--I just love that we get to see this moment for them :) Can't wait to hear what you make of it!!!!

(and maybe I'll answer comments some time this century, idk, i'm sorry i suck)

This note's gonna be a short one tonight, so before I sign off here, I just want to wish you all a wonderful holiday season, and all the best for a happy & healthy new year! (Can you believe it's going to be 2019???? Cause I still can't wrap my mind around it.) And since this year is winding down,  I also want to THANK YOU for another AMAZING year on Wattpad! You guys have truly made my experience on this website so wonderful, and to think that I've written 2 complete books and another nearly complete book on here is just insane to me. What's crazier is that you guys LIKE THEM, so thank you SO much for another year of your incredible support and friendship! My life is so much better because of it <3

Love, love, LOVE YOU!!!! Meet'cha back here in 2019. xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83 9 2
"You're a brilliant guy, Harry, I'm not denying anything, and even though you sometimes did act like a total coward, which I don't deny either," she...
564K 22.6K 48
The SEQUEL to Out of the Ordinary She was extraordinary, and she didn't even know it. But I did. I'd known it from that very first day. From the mome...
118K 6K 77
THE SECOND BOOK OF THE INFINITE SERIES. UNDER EDITING. warning: i wrote this book when i was twelve years old. there are grammar errors along with a...
4K 70 41
It all started at a meet and greet, When Emily gives Liam her phone to take a picture of the two of them. When he has it in his hands, he takes the o...