Ranger Of The South ||2||

By mss_fantasy5

BOOK TWO OF THE RANGER OF THE SOUTH TRILOGY Keira is devastated after Thorin's death. Fortunately, she has he... More

↠ The beginning of something new
↠The tree warriors
↠Names, names and even more names
↠Return of an old friend
↠Games are fun, you should try it sometimes
↠Birth
↠Final decision
↠Funeral
↠Aragorn
↠The month is almost over
↠The truth
↠Back on the road
↠Back again
↠5 years later
↠15 years later
↠ The feast
↠ Urgent news
↠ Being Strong
↠ Cutting The Cord
↠ Epilogue
Thank you
Last book is up!

↠ Defending the North

1.2K 56 18
By mss_fantasy5

I cried while going with my hands to my face, pain was overtaking my body. I went with my hand through my hair and let the tears go. I sobbed and buried my head into the body.

Was it all worth it?

Five hours earlier

The orcs had arrived first.

We had ridden days and nights and they had still managed to arrive first.

They were with fewer than I expected, but still with many. The Dunédain had closed their gate and I could see men standing on the wall, firing arrows. It was then that the orcs broke through the gate and were storming into the village.

I leaded my dwarves into the village, Thengel following us. Women ran with their children inside their house while being hunted by orcs. I gritted my teeth and beheaded an orc who was about to kill a girl.

"Quickly, go home," I said while trying to defend her from the incoming orcs. I made my way towards the village while slashing through orcs until I saw a certain dark haired Ranger fighting.

"Hello there!" I greeted him. "Remember me?"

His grey eyes snapped up and I could see him sigh in relief. "Keira! Thank the Valar."

I dismounted my horse and let him go. I then turned to Aragorn and gave him a short hug.

"It's good to see you still in one piece." I quietly said. Before he could reply, I threw my knife into an orc who tried to attack him from behind. I grabbed my knife and looked over my shoulder at Aragorn.

"I'll see you when all of this is over."

I didn't wait for his reply but ran towards Farin.

"Farin!" I called out. "How many?"

He slashed down an orc with his axe before answering. "None yet, your grace, but we'll need the extra dwarves soon."

I nodded and glanced at the hill.

They still weren't here.

I looked back at Farin. "They'll come."

"I know they will."

I nodded and looked around, trying to find Tauriel. I saw her fighting with five orcs and made my way over to her.

"Need some help?" I asked while beheading one and piercing the second one with my sword.

Tauriel rolled her eyes while dealing with the other three. "I was doing just fine and you know it! You were just stealing my prey."

I looked around. "I think there are plenty orcs enough for the both of us."

She grinned. "Last one to fifty loses and has to pay for drinks?" She suggested.

I grinned and grabbed my bow to shoot an incoming orc. "That's sixteen, try to keep up, will ya."

She laughed and the two of us made our way towards my brothers.

"Twenty-two!" She yelled.

I cursed. "I'm on twenty!"

"Are you playing a game while fighting?" Daylor asked.

I chuckled. "We have to entertain ourselves."

"Ladies and gentlemen," Faelar began, "Queen Keira of Erebor!"

I let out a laughter while slitting the neck of an orc.

Farin ran towards me. "Keira!" He exclaimed. "They are here! And they brought Dwalin!"

My eyes landed on the bold dwarf who was slashing orcs, he seemed to enjoy himself. I made my way towards him and greeted him with a smile.

"Lass! It's good to see you again!" He exclaimed happily.

"I'm happy that you have found some time in your busy schedule to help me out," I laughed.

"Anything for my Queen."

I rolled my eyes and shot an orc who was chasing a woman.

"I'll see you later," I said while chasing another orc who seemed to be in charge.

He climbed onto the roof.

What was he going to do?

I followed him and saw him grabbing his bow and he pointed an arrow at Aragorn who was busy fighting under us.

I leaped towards the orc and pushed him but the arrow had already been fired. Fortunately, Aragorn dodged to avoid a sword and the arrow flew past him into the orc that he was fighting.

He looked confused up at the roof and our eyes met. Before I could yell something, the orc stood back up and turned towards me. He unsheathed his sword and steadied himself.

"Queen Keira," he spotted, "last time I saw you, it was on the battlefield."

I narrowed my eyes and he continued.

"You killed many of my brothers and you will pay for it, after I have finished off the last heir of Isildur." His eyes flying to Aragorn who was fighting for his life.

I leaped towards him but he dodged my attack and hit my sword with a force that almost knocked me off the roof. Almost.

I steadied myself and ducked to avoid his next attack. I took a couple of steps back and noticed I was on the very edge of the roof.

I narrowed my eyes at the orc. Who does he think he is?

I slashed and sliced and was able to gain some space. It was he now who stood on the edge of the roof. I was so focused on not falling off the roof myself that I had not seen the knife that he had carried on his waist. I jumped back and turned my face away partly but he managed to get me from my cheek to my chin.

I cried out from the pain and my first instinct was to go with my hand to my face to scan the damage. But, I didn't do that, instead I said;
"Say hi to Azog for me," and pushed him over the edge.

I watched him fall and sighed form exhaustion. My hand went to my face and I noticed it was actually quite deep. I looked around and saw Daylor and Faelar fighting back to back.

They would be fine.

I then saw Farin and Dwalin fighting off some orcs and noticed that they could handle it just fine.

My eyes fell on Tauriel who was fighting on her own and though she was an Elf, I could see the exhaustion on her face. I slide from the roof and ran towards her, ignoring the pain that came from my face.

An orc came up behind her and my eyes widened.

"Tauriel! Watch out!"

Only a couple of meters left, come on Keira!

The red haired elleth turned around and finished the orc.

I slashed through the orcs, trying to get to her. Her eyes widened when she saw me.

"Keira! What happened to your face?"

"Long story," I replied while beheading another orc. "I'm alright though."

I finished my part of the orcs and turned to Tauriel to see how she was holding up. She smashed the last orc down and smiled down at me.

"I think I forgot to count," she admitted.

I laughed. "Yeah, me too."

The smile disappeared from her face in less than a second. "Keira! Behind you!" I turned around and everything seemed to go in slow motion. The orc who fired his arrow, Tauriel who jumped in front of me and got hit with the arrow, I who grabbed my bow and an arrow before finishing it off. Tauriel fell to the ground and I kneeled next to her.

"Oh god, why did you do it? Why? Oh in Durin's name," my voice and hands were trembling while I tried to stop the bleeding.

"It's not your fault," Tauriel said in a shocking voice while gasping for air. "It was my decision."

"Why did you do it?" I asked.

She smiled. "Because I couldn't let you die, Thrain, Lúthien, Daylor and Faelar would be devastating. I don't even want to imagine what Carden will be if you had died."

Tears streamed down my face while I sobbed. Tauriel took my hands. "It's alright, I guess something in me knew that my time had come."

She looked at me. "Promise me. You won't forget our laughs. Our jokes. Our smiles. Our conversations. Our plans. Our tears. Our memories. Our experiences. And above all our friendship. Don't go hiding in the dark, Keira. You can miss us, but you have to let us go."

Her breath stocked and I bowed over her. "Please," I begged her, "don't go."

"It's not a goodbye," she told me while coughing, "it's more of a see you later."

I looked into her green eyes and saw the life leaving her body.

I cried while going with my hands to my face, pain was overtaking my body. I went with my hand through my hair and let the tears go. I sobbed and buried my head into the body.

Was it all worth it?

————————-

I'm sorry.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.3K 1.5K 55
All Rurìn has of her fathers is a rune engraved in a pendant. She knows nothing of him except he was a Dwarven warrior who was running from his grief...
2.1K 62 19
~Year 3435 of the Second Age, a brisk winter's morning, that was when I was born. Year 3441 of the Second Age, I lost everything and I was hidden in...
9.7K 293 5
You, a Ranger of the North, are invited by Gandalf to join the Company on the Quest for Erebor. You quickly wow them with your fighting skills and in...
22.5K 552 22
Dahlia Ironfoot, daughter of Dain, was Prince Thorin's betrothed. But that was all before Smaug the dragon attacked the Dwarven kingdom of Erebor an...