Inferno Legacy: Valor of the...

By InfernoFrost

(#12 in Necromancer)Cody has heard all the stories, read all the myths, and knows everything about his world... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
A/N
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
End of Book One
Editing Plans?

Chapter 41

758 73 5
By InfernoFrost

Chapter 41

            Cody stood still for several moments, gazing out at his old town, his old home. He saw someone pass between a couple of houses without noticing him and his companions. Recognizing the woman, he realized just how hard it would be for him to return for such a short time, and lie about everywhere he had been and everything he had been doing the entire time.

            “Where are we going first?” Pippi whispered in his ear.

            “Falcon’s house,” Cody replied confidently, taking a step forward.

            Mora then asked confusedly, “I thought we had eliminated her as a suspect?”

            “We did,” Cody began, “But I still have doubts that the other three could be Flamidar. We’re going to her because she is one of the most social people in the town. If anyone knows about everyone’s nicknames, she will.”

            Cody turned to see everyone nod in agreement, though Larson and Pippi seemed reluctant. Cody shivered before he continued forward, into the town. He recalled from deep within his memory that Falcon lived with her family near the heart of town. Of course, there was no way Cody could get that far without being noticed. He was beginning to wonder whether he would want to be secretive or not, when someone noticed him from about ten yards away.

            “Hello!” The man shouted in greeting. “What brings you to-”

            The man stopped dead in his tracks a few feet away as he seemed to recognize Cody. In an instant, the rider had already recognized the man, who lived alone at the very edge of the town and hunted for a living.

            “It can’t be…”

            “I assure you it is,” Cody said as he stuck out his hand, trying to be the man he had been before he discovered Inferno’s egg.

            “Cody!” The man grasped his hand and shook it enthusiastically.

            “It’s good to see you Feysal!” Cody said, instantly realizing that there was no way this man could have been his enemy’s servant.

            Feysal’s calls drew people towards them from the streets and even from nearby houses. Gasps filled the air as people recognized Cody. Some people seemed to be shocked at his clothing, and yet others were beginning to notice that his companions were different. Five people stepped forward and gave Cody a firm handshake like Feysal had done, while one other gave him a tight hug. After a minute or two of greetings, people began asking every question Cody and his companions had covered.

            “Where Are Avalsmokes and Autumn?”

            “What happened to our blacksmith?”

            “Who are these people?”

            “How did you get the money to pay for that outfit?”

            “Where did you go?”

            “Why do you look so different?”

            Cody sighed and answered as best as he could, “We just went to a nearby town called Starling. Aval, Autumn, and Omen decided to stay there for a while. Pippi, Larson, and Mora here decided to accompany me back because I had to come speak to Falcon about something. The blacksmith there lent me this armor for the dangerous way home.

            “How long will you be staying? Where are your horses?” A woman asked from the back.

            Cody had completely forgotten about the horses, since Inferno had been his only source of travel for a long time. Quickly he did his best to reply, “I can’t stay long before I have to go back to Starling, but the other three took the horses because they had to go to a city called Morgran to get some supplies.”

            A man stepped forward and asked, “We heard stories that a dragon and rider had visited Morgran, is this true?”

            Cody felt his heart sink as Larson hissed in his ear, “How did they find out about that!?”

            The rider allowed himself to whisper back, “Flamidar or Faltanar must have managed to carry the news back.”

            To the others he asked, “Where did you hear that?”

            A chorus of voices responded, “Faltanar” or “The Storyteller”.

            Cody laughed and answered, “I haven’t been to Morgran myself, but you rest assured that there is no such thing! The riders, if they ever even existed, have long been extinct. The storyteller was just feeding you exaggerated stories.”

            Disappointed voices sounded around him, but he quickly responded by saying, “Do you mind if I got to Falcon’s home to get what I need?”

            Instantly the crowd parted and Cody easily made his way to the heart of the town. He stood and looked around to make sure that they were completely alone and sighed with relief before looking at the house he remembered to be Falcon’s.

            “That was both easier and harder than expected,” Cody announced to the others.

            “I know, I half-expected that crowd to attack you at any moment. For close neighbors, they sure were inquisitive about your journey,” Larson said.

            “Indeed they were,” Cody agreed as he stepped up to Falcon’s house. “You all ready to find out who we need?”

            “What will we do once we find him?” Mora asked worriedly.

            “It depends on who it is. We could have to kidnap him, or maybe he will just come right with us. We’ll have to see.”

            With that, Cody knocked on the door. Within a few moments Falcon herself answered the door. It was obvious that she had had her baby already, and she looked thin, pale, and tired. Fortunately, as soon as she saw that it was Cody who had knocked on her door, she beamed with absolute joy.

            “Cody! I’m so glad you’re back!” The woman practically shouted as she pulled him tight into her arms. “The whole town has been lost without you and the others. Everything has been too boring around her, although I suppose it all started when you grew up.”

            She obviously noticed that Cody had different companions, but she didn’t seem to care too much. Just as Cody was about to answer her, a baby started crying from somewhere in the house and cut him off.

            Falcon sighed before telling the group, “You four can come in and make yourselves comfortable; I’ll be back in just a moment.”

            Cody dipped his head to acknowledge her words and slowly followed her into the small house. Lars, Pippi, and Mora followed close behind and shut the door. Falcon led them into a room with three chairs before disappearing into the kitchen and down a hallway from there. Gradually they heard the noise die down and the mother returned shortly after, carrying two more chairs into the room. She set one right behind Cody before going to the opposite end of the room and sitting in the second chair she had brought. The rider settled into his own seat and urged the others to do the same.

            As they all sat, Falcon leaned forward and asked excitedly, “Now, what brings you back, without the others? And why have you come to my house?”

            Cody straightened himself a bit before explaining their lie, “Autumn, Omen, and Aval had to go to a town called Morgran for some supplies for Starling, the town we’ve been staying in. I had to come back to ask you something rather important, and these three were eager to come along. The villagers already asked about the stories of a dragon and rider appearing in Morgran, and I told them that Faltanar was probably just telling stories like he always does.”

            Cody thought he had sounded too convenient, but Falcon rolled her eyes and said, “That’s what I told everyone. How would that old man know such stories anyways? Now what is it you wanted to ask me that was so important?”

            The rider looked at his companions before clearing his throat and saying hesitantly, “Well, the people in Starling kept asking me to come back and get a man that they think would be helpful. Unfortunately, I don’t know exactly who they were talking about. Do you think you could help?”

            “I’m sure you know as many nicknames around here as I do, if that’s what you’re talking about. But, I will do my best to help anyways. Who is this mystery man?” Falcon asked.

            Cody squirmed uncomfortably as he answered, “Flamidar, they said.”

            Instantly Falcon burst out laughing, tears practically streaming from her eyes as she stomped on the floor. Cody exchanged nervous glances with his companions. Obviously Falcon knew who they were talking about, and based on her reaction he didn’t seem to be much a threat.

            “Wait, you’re serious?” Falcon asked.

            Cody looked at the others again, showing her that they were indeed serious. Somehow he found himself dreading what she was going to say. She suddenly smiled at him as she seemed to realize something.

            “I forgot, of course he wouldn’t have told you.”

            “Who wouldn’t have told me what?” Cody asked, feeling his heart pound in his chest in anticipation.

            Falcon quickly answered with a grin, “Your father, silly. His name is Flamidar.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.6K 805 6
The Wulvers Series Book 4 (Can be read as standalone) I followed the call of the wild to find freedom, but maybe it was the call of fate all along...
150K 8.2K 53
Under the rule of a Dragon Riders and Magicians, young 14 year old Thea finds herself pulled into the Dragon Riders world. After her brother dies she...
12K 966 32
Spoilers ahead, don't read unless you've read the other two books! ************************************************************************* Seeryath...
113K 6.9K 53
BOOK THREE. Lucy's parents are hiding something..Something so dangerous it can end the world of the Dragon Riders. Lucy has a dragon. A Crys...