Jalebis and Chillies [COMPLET...

By TheFirstRays

Arnav Singh Raizada and Khushi Kumari Gupta have known each other for a long time. One is as flirty as the Ja... More

Foreword
O... for Ouch!
T... for Treading!
T... for Tamasha?!
F... for Fun Begins!
F... for Fishy!
S... for Secret Revelations!
S... for Sugar & Spice!
E... for Euphoria!
N... for Nautanki!
T... for Tu Tu Main Main!
E... for Electrifying!
A Note
T... for Twists!
T... for The 'K'!
F... for Firsts!
S... for Sudden Letter!
S... for Sealed!
Afterword

F... for Fool's Trap!

4.3K 273 112
By TheFirstRays

Chapter 14: F... for Fool's Trap!

"A!!! Hmmm... And then she goes about telling that she doesn't like Bhai, there is nothing going on between her and Bhai!" Avni lifted her eyebrow, her eyes twinkling with mischief.

Do all the Raizadas lift the eyebrows in the exactly similar manner? Of course Jalebi was not concerned about Avni but about the other Raizada because of whom she was in this awkward situation.

It was Akash Singh Raizada's mehendi ceremony. A few hours ago, Arnav had called her. The lady who was about to apply mehendi had asked Khushi the name she wished to write in her mehendi. Seeing "Arnav Calling" on her phone she had blurted out, "Arnav? Why is he calling me now?"

The call wasn't important, at least, not for our Jalebi. In fact, she had not even bothered to take the call. However, that had not stopped the lady from assuming that our Jalebi wanted Arnav's name to be written on her hands. And that is how the letter 'A' had been imprinted on her left palm. Unfortunately, the person who had discovered it (even before Khushi) was none other than the smart and witty Avni Singh Raizada.

"Avni... you are getting me all wrong. A is for my favourite actor, Akshay Kumar!" She tried to put on the sweetest face trying to convince Avni.

"Really Khushi? From when did Akshay Kumar become your favourite actor? As far as I know, your favourite actor is Ranbir Kapoor. Everyone knows that. The way you go on gushing and fangirling about him."

"Arrey! Can't a girl have more than one favourite actor?"

"Yes, she can, definitely but not when the actor becomes her favourite all of a sudden."

Damn! Another trait of these Raizadas. Why did they have to be so smart? "Avni, this is not fair. You too didn't tell me about your relation with Aman." She tried changing the topic.

"So you are admitting that you are in a relation with Bhai. Am I right?"

"Ah. Yes. We are in a relation", she paused and then added with a solemn look on her face, "We share a relation that an employer and an employee share. You know I am now working full-time at RHF. Happy?"

"Yeah, very happy. Just like Aman is just Bhai's childhood friend, you are just working under Bhai. I get it."

With that she grinned like a chesire cat and Khushi was left speechless yet another time.

Ever since the discovery of their "kiss", Avni, Anjali, Aman and Payal had left no stone unturned to find reasons to tease them. It was difficult to understand whose marriage was happening and who were getting teased.

~0~
"

"So, I was right. You actually want to be Shashi Sir's ghar jamai?"

Arnav just rolled his eyes at Aman's comment.

"Come on. Just rolling your eyes won't let you off the hook, buddy. You and Khushi never got along well. How did this happen?"

This thought had been bothering Chilli too. How indeed did this happen!

While these two avoided being smeared by haldi, the rest were not.

"Khushi, no. You are not going to apply so much haldi on me."

"Avni ki bachchi, did you listen to me when I asked you not to apply?"

After applying haldi to Akash, Avni had playfully applied haldi on Khushi. Well, our Jalebi was not the one to sit quietly. She too was running behind Avni to apply haldi on her.

Khushi ran up the stairs following Avni, not caring the people on the stairs and definitely not Chilli. Had she been a bit more careful, she could have avoided the situation that followed.

Arnav was speaking to Aman when he saw Avni trying to hide behind him. "Bhai, save me please."

Before he could gauge the situation he found himself being smacked by a bowl, a sticky paste applied on him. "What the!" He wanted to shout but it came out as some mumbling. When he opened his eyes, ready to give a sound lashing to the person, he found Jalebi staring at his face wide eyed, the lips forming a perfect "O".

Those lips! How he wished to taste them! Damn it! What is he even thinking? Aren't those lips the reason enough for all the teasing?

Aman's loud cough brought him out of his dreamland.

"Ma, when I wanted to apply haldi on Arnav, did you see how he avoided that? Looks like he had some other plans", Anjali said making everyone burst into laughter leaving Arnav and Khushi blushing.

~0~

The rest of the marriage ceremony passed with similar teasing going on. Pari Singh Raizada had also the bandwagon of his already crazy siblings in their teasing. It was at the reception that Arnav realised that the teases had been actually considered seriously.

"You know, Arnav, after Khushi started working as an intern under you, I have seen so many changes in her. She is a lot more focused now. I know all this is because of you. When Ajay told me about you two being in a relation, my happiness reached a new level."

Arnav didn't know how to reply to Shashi Gupta's words.

That is when his father broke the most shocking news of his life.

"We were thinking of getting you two engaged."

"Papa! What is the hurry? Akash Bhai just got married. Also, Khushi has just started her career. Don't you think it is too early?"

"See, I knew Khushi is going to be in safe hands. Beta, we are not asking you to get married. Just get engaged. Also, Payal is leaving for States in a few months." Shashi replied.

Arnav looked sceptical.

"I know what you are thinking. Don't worry. It will be a quiet affair. Only our families will know. No one in RHF will know. I will see to it." Ajay said.

"So is it a yes?"

Engagement with Khushi! Arnav's head was spinning.

~0~

Finally! She had finally escaped from the hullabaloo and could eat peacefully. She looked at the plate of sweet assortments. Jalebis! Gulab jamuns! Rasgullas! She could not wait to dig in.

As she took the first bite of a jalebi, she found Smita sitting beside her. "Hi Aunty!" She said

"Beta, I wanted to ask something."

"Ask na, Aunty. Why are you being so formal?"

She picked the gulab jamun and stuffed into her mouth.

"Are you ready to get engaged to Arnav?"

Ah! The outer crust was perfectly fried and the soft inside melted in her mouth. Whoever made these should already be declared as the Master Chef! She nodded. Albeit without paying attention to whatever Smita had asked.

The moment she nodded her head, Smita's smile widened. She was not sure if Khsuhi was ready to get engaged so soon. Though she could feel the chemistry between her son and Khushi, she needed the confirmation. She hugged Khushi instantly.

"Oh! Khushi! You made me so happy today. Since Arnav has already agreed, I guess we will fix a date sometime soon. Garima is going to be so happy!"

Smita detached herself and went excitedly to announce the good news.

Khushi stuffed the rasgulla when she let the news sink in.

Engagement with Arnav Singh Raizada! What The!

~0~

"Khushi, Khushi, pick up the damn phone." Arnav almost screamed out in frustration.

"Hell..."

"Hello Khushi. Shashi uncle and Papa just now asked me to get engaged to you. I had no option but to tell yes. But you have a choice. Tell them no, whoever asks. Okay? You understood na?"

"Kya? You too told yes?"

"What do you mean by you 'too'?"

"I told yes too. In my defense, Aunty asked me while I was eating Gulab Jamun."

"You mean while you were stuffing that goddamn sweet?"

"Don't swear at sweets."

"I don't even know what to tell. Do you even realise where your sweet has led us to?"

"Right into the fool's trap."

"Right. God help me."

"Likewise. Bye." She retorted.

"Will there be any 'oh I love you Arnav'?" Wondered Khushi's phone.

"I don't think so." Replied Arnav's.

And with that two mobile phones felt bad about their existence, for the first time. Gone were all those mushy, lovey-dovey talks.

~0~

A week later,

"Eat na, Arnav Ji. This is sugar free halwa made especially for you." Khushi said batting her eyelashes a few times.

Arnav Ji! What was this girl up to? Why was she behaving so sweet! And why was she feeding him so much! Arnav thought. Nevertheless he continued eating.

The Raizadas were invited for dinner by the Guptas. Khushi Kumari Gupta was behaving as the perfect host, which meant stuffing Arnav with lots and lots of food and of course addressing Arnav as Arnav Ji. When Arnav had choked listening to "Arnav Ji" for the first time, Khushi had been beside him with a glass of water rubbing his back, a concerned look on her face. Well, he was her would-be fiancé now and she decided to treat him as one. Of course, the great actress that she was, everyone was convinced with the shy glances and blushes.

However, Arnav knew better. That brain of hers was surely cooking some devious plan.

When Arnav found the right opportunity, he said, "Uh... Khushi. Is the presentation for tomorrow's meeting ready?"

"Bhai, don't tell me you are going to discuss work, now?"

"Ah! Yes. I was thinking of actually going through the details and helping Khushi with the preparations for the presentation. You know she is new. Chalein Khushi?"

He said rising from the sofa. Well, two could play a game. If Khushi was hell bent on continuing with the drama, he should play along too, right?

As the families shared knowing smiles about the blooming love between these two and thinking how their decision of getting them engaged is indeed the right one, Arnav smirked.

As soon as they reached Khushi's room, locking the door, Khushi said, "What was that, Arnav? How could you come up with the lame excuse? Work? Seriously? Do you even know what our families might be thinking right now?"

Arnav leaned against the bed post and folded his arms. "Look who is complaining, now. I thought you were enjoying this."

"What do you mean?"

"Few minutes ago, you were addressing me as "Arnav Ji" making my name sound as some Uncle. Oh yes, you were going on feeding me and showing your concern, acting all shy and coy like the bahus of those goddamn TV serials. Now when I play along as the lovey-dovey couple, you have a problem."

"You had started this act."

Arnav was gobsmacked. "What did I do?"

"So Arnav Singh Raizada does not have that sharp a memory that he claims. Remember, two days ago, at the office, you were acting all concerned for me. Asking me if I had lunch or not."

"That was because Papa was watching us."

"Well, today we had both our families watching." Khsuhi shrugged. "We are in this situation because of you. Who asked you to agree for the engagement?"

The accusations began again.

"God! Khushi! I explained the reason to you hundreds of times. The way Shashi uncle and Papa requested me, I had no other option but say yes. But what did you do? You were so busy gobbling sweets that you didn't even hear the question. Why are you blaming me?"

Will this girl ever admit her mistake? Chilli wondered.

"Arrey at least I was trying to rescue us from this unwanted situation. But you didn't even let me find out about the person who had clicked our pictures in Singapore."

"Really, Khushi? You were about to ask NK directly if he had clicked pictures. What were you even thinking? He would answer you correctly if he had done so? If we followed your brilliant strategies, by now the whole of RHF would have known about our "kissing adventure" in Singapore. Anyway, our families had been convinced that we were in a relation. Your little stunts during Akash Bhai's marriage were enough."

"What are you talking about?"

"Who asked you to write "A" on your palm? And the haldi smearing incindent?"

"All those were your fault only. You had called me during mehendi. You came in my way when I was trying to apply haldi on Avni." Khushi complained with a pout.

"Yeah, right. Everything is my fault alone."

Before Chilli and Jalebi could continue, they heard a knock.

"Umm... Bhai, Khushi. Are you fighting again? Gosh! You have not been engaged yet and you already fight like some old married couple", Avni giggled. "Achcha, listen. Whatever work that you were discussing, can you finish it quickly? We have to go home. You know you cannot spend the night in Khushi's room now even though you want it, Bhai."

Arnav ran a frustrated palm through his hair.

"Just a moment, Avni. I am coming. Can you please go now?"

"Uh, sure. I am not going to interrupt your "kiss and make up" scene after the fight." Avni chuckled and went away.

When he was sure that Avni had left, he said, "Khushi, we both know that whatever situation we are in right now is all because of circumstances. Neither of us had planned this. We have two options. One, we go on bickering and accusing each other trying to find out whose fault it was. I don't think it is going to lead us anywhere. Second, we give this situation, I mean, us, a chance. We do have something between us..."

Khushi opened her mouth to speak when Arnav spoke again, "No... Don't you try to deny it. You just don't randomly confess you have a crush on someone and kiss him the next day. I don't go around kissing girls either. Any excuse we put forth now will only be discarded by our families and we will only be pushed to get engaged sooner. So why not try and see if this relation really works for us? If things don't work out we can tell our families and call off the engagement. As it is, we are not going to get married anytime soon. You have got a career to build and neither am I ready to marry now. Think about it, Khushi. Let me know what you decide."

"What?"

Khushi was shocked to say the least. A relation with Arnav Singh Raizada! That actually didn't sound so bad!

"Are you deaf?"

"Imagine that I am."

"Khushi we are back at it again." He sighed.

"Give me some time. You cannot suddenly speak sensibly and expect me to accept it. I need some time to process whatever you said right now and then decide." She huffed.

"Fine. See you tomorrow at the office. Bye." Arnav said as he opened the door, "By the way, I always speak sense, unlike you. Nice to know that you too think the same."

~0~

The shrill ringing of the phone awakened Arnav. He checked the time.

2:30 AM.

Who the hell was calling him at such an ungodly hour? He muttered curses while reaching for the phone. Khushi? Why was she calling him now?

He recalled his last conversation before he had left the Gupta House. Was she calling him to discuss about their status of relationship now? Well, when it came to Jalebi, expect the unexpected.

As he swiped right to receive the call, Khushi started speaking.

"I think you will wrap up your work by 6 tomorrow. Anyway, I will check with your PA tomorrow if you have any meeting. So, we leave by 6:30. Italian is my favourite cuisine and oh, I love red roses!"

What the hell was this girl blabbering?

"Can you please speak in English or Hindi? I don't understand the language you spoke just now."

"Do you always sound this husky when you wake up from your sleep?"

"What?"

"Uh. Nothing. I figured since we are trying this thing called being a couple, we should know each other. So I mentioned my favourite cuisine and favourite flowers so that you can take me on our first date tomorrow. Good night, Arnav Jiii."

And the phone went dead.

She called me asking me to take her out on a date? Didn't she ask me for some time?

*****

Hello everyone,

Remember me? Yes, I am the author who has vanished from here. *smiles sheepishly*

Last two months flew by very fast with festivities, examinations and project submissions! Phew!
But here I am with a new chapter. There are only a few chapters left and I promise to update soon this time.

So, what do you think of the trap Jalebi and Chilli have found themselves in?

Please vote and let me know your thoughts in comments.

To all the new readers, welcome aboard! Thanking you all for giving this story a chance. 🤗

Love,
Arunima

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

590K 30.2K 67
Khushi Kumari Gupta is a small-town girl who is content with her life and happy finding the small joys life has to offer her. A chance encounter with...
278K 16.7K 29
A story of Arnav Singh Raizada and his REPLACED BRIDE Khushi Gupta. Will he accept her as his Wife? Will his family accept her? Why was she repla...
108K 6.4K 25
Khushi is a mad girl who behaves like a small child. Lost her memory when she was 19. Arnav is a busy tycoon. A workaholic who doesn't have time for...
191K 7.4K 25
Khushi has spent her whole life wanting to love and wanting to be loved. She may love Arnav with her whole heart, but does Arnav love her back? Join...