To Be A Killer

By GravityWillFall01

Book 3 in the in To Be A Runner series. If you have not read books 1 and 2, I seriously suggest you do that b... More

Chapter 1: Break Your Heart
Chapter 2: Safety Dance
Chapter 3: Rescue Me
Chapter 4: Last Kiss
Chapter 5: Left To My Own Devices
Chapter 6: I Would
Chapter 7: Walk Of Life
Chapter 8: Young And Beautiful
Chapter 9: Career Day
Chapter 10: Courtesy Call
Chapter 11: Life's A Happy Song
Chapter 12: The Negative
Chapter 13: Believe
Chapter 14: Give Me Your Eyes
Chapter 15: I Don't Want To Get Over You
Chapter 16: The Man Who Sold The World
Chapter 17: Nicotine
Chapter 18: Stray Cat Strut
Chapter 19: Halo
Chapter 20: Ready To Start
Chapter 21: Autopilot
Chapter 22: Keeper Of Secrets
Chapter 23: Veronica
Chapter 24: Battle Scars
Chapter 25: Battle Born
Chapter 26: Carry Me Home
Chapter 27: Blackout
Chapter 28: I've Got A Theory
Chapter 29: Descent
Chapter 30: Full Disclosure
Chapter 31: Only Love Can Break Your Heart
Chapter 32: Sin In My Heart
Chapter 33: Your Cheatin' Heart
Chapter 34: I'm With Stupid
Chapter 35: The Moment I Knew
Chapter 36: Return To The Forbidden Planet
Chapter 37: Congratulations
Chapter 38: The Road Goes Ever On And On
Chapter 39: You're Not Sorry
Chapter 40: Brand New Start
Chapter 41: Light Up The Sky
Chapter 42: Blue
Chapter 43: Burn
Chapter 44: A Little Night Music
Chaptet 45: All The Right Moves
Chapter 46: Where's Your Head At
Chapter 47: Submission
Chapter 48: Scream And Shout
Chapter 49: Dynamite
Chapter 50: Upside Down
Chapter 51: Seventeen
Chapter 52: I Crush Everything
Chapter 53: Leave My Brain Alone
Chapter 54: If Today Was Your Last Day
Chapter 55: Old World
Chapter 56: Back In Your Head
Chapter 57: My Demons
Chapter 58: We're Needed
Chapter 59: Colors
Chapter 60: It's Raining Again
Chapter 61: Addicted To Love
Chapter 62: Interiors
Chapter 63: Insane In The Brain
Chapter 64: Human
Chapter 65: Love Is A Stranger
Chapter 66: Satisfied
Chapter 67: Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Chapter 68: Aquarius
Chapter 69: Shoot The Runner
Chapter 70: Comfortably Numb
Chapter 71: Reunion Tour
Chapter 72: Control
Chapter 73: Things I'll Never Say
Chapter 74: Sowing Season
Chapter 75: Lifeboat
Chapter 76: Listen All You People
Chapter 77: Bad Moon Rising (Part 1)
Chapter 78: Bad Moon Rising (Part 2)
Chapter 80: There Is Power In A Union
Chapter 81: Milkman of Human Kindness
Chapter 82: I've Got A Dream
Chapter 83: Into The Light
Chapter 84: Natural Anthem
Chapter 85: Rollercoasters
Chapter 86: War Of Hearts
Chapter 87: Up
Chapter 88: Mombo No. 5
Chapter 89: Sacrifice
Book 4 Announcement

Chapter 79: Shiver Me Timbers

142 16 9
By GravityWillFall01

"Okay, Doc, Five, keep following that road south along the coast. That should take you to the last known location, where they sent the message from."

I groan, every muscle in my body aching as the sun sets low on the horizon. It's only five o'clock, but I haven't gotten to rest at all today. I've been running since this morning when I went on that mission with Owen and Jody, and while I know this is important, I'm running out of juice. I'm not sure how much longer I can go on before I collapse completely.

"But we don't know where they're going," Maxine says.

"No, which isn't exactly ideal, given that the van they're driving contains vital intel on the exact time we need to be using the ZRD in Comansys Tower." Sam sighs stressfully. "When Amelia was using the Radio Cable guys as unwilling... intel mules? Is that a thing? Anyway, she got them to meet up with a former Comansys employee she's done some shady deal with. Everything he knew about the ZRD in exchange for who-knows-what.

"She told Eugene he was an art collector, handing them some valuable statue for safe keeping, only it wasn't valuable; It was hollow, and the intel's hidden inside, and we need it urgently. We need to know when to plug that device in and use it to block Moonchild's control forever."

"Which is why Five and I are on a man hunter duty."

"Exactly."

"Without any idea where the Radio Cable guys are heading."

"Exactly."

"There are no clues in the message they sent?"

"None."

"Uh, guys," I interrupt, "I know this is a really bad situation and time is valuable, but can we please just take a break for like, five minutes? I've been running ever since this morning and I don't think I can keep going like this."

"I know, Five. And I'm sorry, but you can't stop, not just yet. If we don't find the Radio Cable guys soon then we'll probably never get that intel. Just drink some more water a-and hopefully you'll get to rest soon."

I sigh, closing my eyes for a moment and taking in a deep breath of the freezing air. It stings, but it distracts me from the pain in the rest of my body. With gloved hands I wipe away the sweat from my forehead and keep going.

"Maybe Five can pick up on something you guys missed, with her being such an avid listener. You still have it, right?" Maxine asks.

"Oh, really?" He whines. "Don't make me play it again, please."

"Come on, Sam. It's important."

"Fine. Here we go."

I hear a click as the recording begins.

"This is a message for Sam Yao, Janine De Luca, Runner Five and all those at Abel Township," Jack says, his voice trembling. "This is-this is a goodbye message to Abel from me and the rest of us-Phil, Eugene and Zoe. We're... we're leaving... I-I don't..." His voice cracks. "I-I'm sorry. I can't..."

"It's okay. It's okay," Zoe says. "Let me."

"It's okay, Jack. We're here," Phil says.

"We heard the news about what happened in the early hours of this morning-that New Canton citizens had been subjected to mind control and attacked Abel Township. We understand that returning home isn't an option for us anymore, that coming home wouldn't be safe. So we've decided. We're leaving. We don't know where we're going, but we won't be coming back. So this is a goodbye."

Click.

"Anything stick out to you, Five?" Maxine asks.

"Other than the fact that my pretend fiancé and his friends are literally running away from the problems Abel is facing instead of coming back to help, no."

"Are you trying to say they're being, like, cowards?" Sam asks defensively.

"Well, yeah. No offense." I pause. "Actually, no, I take it back. Full offense. They're running away because they think it's unsafe, and yes, it is. But they lived in Abel. It's their home and they're not even going to fight for it. I mean, I know Phil and Zoe are New Cantoners, but Jack and Eugene-"

"Hey, I don't like it either, but there's no need to be rude about it."

"I'm not being rude. I'm telling the truth. They are grown adults. It's pretty sad my thirteen-year-old kid is more willing to fight for Abel than they are."

"Enough," Maxine says, silencing the both of us. "It doesn't matter how we view their choices right now. What matters is finding them and getting that intel. Come on, Five. Let's keep moving."

I bite the inside of my cheek, shaking my head as I force myself to think of something else. I shouldn't be arguing with Sam, not now, not when I told him I loved him only hours ago.

I do love him, but that doesn't mean I agree with him on the fact that what the Radio Cable crew are cowardice. Jack, Eugene. Zoe and Phil are all my friends. I care about them all very deeply, but they're running away. That's not something I think is fine and dandy, especially with the terrible mood I'm in right now.

I mean, why do they get to run away? Why do they think it's okay for them to just leave when the entire world is unsafe? Why do they get to run off while the other people in Abel-the elderly, the sick, the children-have to stay in Abel and worry about Moonchild coming to attack them at any time now? What makes them so special? What gives them the right?

My foot hits a rock buried in the snow, and I fall forward. I throw out my hands to brace myself, but still I hiss at the impact, the wet snow soaking through my gloves and long sleeves.

"Are you alright?" Maxine asks, stopping and placing her hand on my shoulder. I can only nod, my breathing too erratic to give an audible reply. I pull myself I back to my feet, gritting my teeth in annoyance.

'I'm fine,' I sign.

"Sam, do you think we could stop just for a few minutes?" She asks. "We both could use a break."

"You should have already reached the location where their last message was sent. The Radio Cable posse should be somewhere around here."

"There's no one here," I reply, glancing around. My chest rises and falls with each stabbing breath I take. I scan the surrounding area. There's nothing but white snow filled with footprints and tire tracks. "Are you... sure this is the right place?"

"Dead certain," Sam says. "Well, mostly dead certain. Sort of 'in the ambulance, but the paramedics have given up on CRP,' certain."

I deadpan. "I want to laugh, truly, but I don't have the energy."

"When did the message come through?" Maxine questions.

"Not long ago. About two hours. We sent you two towards them as soon as we heard it."

"So these tire tracks could be theirs."

"Yeah. Yeah. Let me have a look."

I flip on my head cam, eyeing where they lead. "Well?"

"It's our best shot. Follow those tracks, Runners."

"Your wish is my command," I mumble, smiling slightly when he lets out a chuckle.

"I'll keep that in mind when I need something from you."

"Such as?"

"Uh... well, I'm not sure just yet. I'll think of something."

"It better be good. If I'm going to be offering you my services for free, I expect you to use it to its full potential," I say slyly, grinning when he doesn't respond right away.

"I... well, uh... what do your services include exactly?"

I open my mouth to reply, but Maxine cuts me off before I can even begin. "Hey, I hate to interrupt, but I just thought of something. If they're still in the van, they might still be broadcasting." She laughs. "I mean, they're not exactly great at turning off their equipment. Remember that time we had to listen to five hours of Jack having dreams about scoring a century of life because he won a bet against a wizard?"

"Maxine. Maxine, Maxine, you are a genius! A wonderful, wonderful genius!" I hear static, and Sam hums something to himself. "Signal's been all over the place while they've been on the road."

"How much longer is it supposed to be anyway?" Phil asks, his voice staticky but still very distinct.

"She says she moored at the docks," Zoe replies. "Shouldn't be too much further."

"I can't believe we're actually going to meet Rachel P. Denis," Eugene squeals, which earns a chuckle from Phil.

"I can't believe you're a fan of her stuff. Laments of the World. Ha! More like laments of sex and fighting and overtly long descriptions of food."

"They're popular books, Phil, and she's a fan of ours. I'm excited to meet her," Zoe says.

"Do you think she'll tell us whether Bran Firebane ends up revenging the murder of his wife and father?" Eugene asks. "Oh, do you think she'll tell us who Lea Truesong's real mother is? No, wait-"

"'Gene, you do realize we're going to broadcasting the entire final book, right? That's the reason we're going to meet her," Jack says, and Phil scoffs.

"Not the only reason. Fresh start. New horizons."

"No, no. I know," Eugene says. "I'm just-I'm so excited! I never imagined I'd get to know how it ended. The apocalypse happened  just a few months before she was due to deliver the final manuscript, but now-now... I can't believe we're in our way to meet her, and get the final book!"

Eugene continues to gush about these books he likes so much, but Sam turns the sound down. "Sounds like they're heading for the docks, and it sounds like they're not planning to come back from the docks. Head through that forest. The road winds all over the place getting down to sea level, but you can cut straight down that way. It'll cut off, like, an hour of the journey. There's some zoms in the tress, but they're well clear of the path you'll take. Just be careful."

"Got it," Maxine says. "Come on, Five. We'd better catch up to them before Eugene explodes of excitement."

We pick up the pace, and I grab at my backpack strap as we reach the woods. The trees are dead and the leaves gone, but the branches are covered in white and the air cloaked in silence. It would almost seem peaceful if everything wasn't at stake.

I push myself to go faster, farther. Maxine does the same. The sound of the snow crunching under our feet is barely heard. We've been hearing it for hours. It's gotten to the point that it doesn't effect me.

But the cold still does. It stings at my neck and face the few other places of exposed skin. My lips are chapped and dry and tears run down my face from the watery eyes. But my nose isn't running. I guess that's the pro of Van Ark's treatments-not being able to get sick, super strength...

Thankfully that's all that the treatments did to me.

The trees pass in a brown and white blur, and within twenty or so minutes we've reached the end of the woods. Through the last few tress I see something moving along the curving road. I find myself laughing in joy when I recognize the dark green peeling paint of the van. It keeps moving, curving off the road and parking by the canal near the docks. There's an expensive looking boat on the other side of the canal.

"I'm guessing the super yacht belongs to the author," I pant.

"Yeah, that's where they're heading," Sam says. "Janine was listening to the show a few days ago, and she said Rachel P. Denis called in herself. Apparently she's a huge fan of the show, and wants them to broadcast the final book of Laments of The World, so everyone can know how it ends."

"Count me out," Maxine says, scrunching up her nose. "I was never a fan of that series. If I wanted to read something that goes on too long with a confusingly large cast of characters, I'd just pick up Rajit's latest instead."

"Oh, God. I know," Sam groans. "Right. Keep moving. I'll patch you back into their broadcast, see if we can figure out why they've just... stopped at that canal."

There's a bit of static before Phil's voice comes through.

"Can't we just leave the van here and walk around?"

"You want to carry the mics and mixing desk and transmitter and generator all the way around this canal?" Jack asks in reply.

"Alright, fine. What's the plan then?"

"What about that bridge?"

"If you haven't noticed, it's currently in the 'up' position."

"Yeah, but can't we just use the controls in that shack there and lower it?"

"Jackie boy, you genius!" Eugene says, and he starts to say something else, but he leaves the van. I see him and Jack heading towards the shack, then go inside after picking the lock. A few moments later the bridge starts to go down, beeping loudly as it does so-so loudly neither of the two men walking back to the van hear me or Maxine as we call out to them.

Damn it.

There's a moan that comes from behind me, followed by multiple more.

Double damn it.

"Damn it!" Sam curses. "Zombies coming out of the woods behind you. The sound of that bridge lowering must be attracting them. Run!"

"Those zoms are hot on your heels," Sam says worriedly. I have to stop myself from telling him that we are very aware how close the zombies are to us. "Keep going. You're nearly at the docks."

"We need to lose these zoms soon or they'll run us right into the ocean!" Maxine exclaims.

"Okay. Okay. Uh, just uh, wait... yes! Okay. Get yourselves across that bridge-the same one the guys took their van over. You're nearly there. If you can put on a burst of speed, you should be able to cross it and get to the shack on the other side. Thank God there's one on both sides of the canal. Raise the bridge, and you should be safe."

I sprint to the bridge, speeding past Maxine and crossing the bridge to get to the control shack. Adrenalin pumps through my veins as I reach the shack. There's no time to try to pick the lock-and I'm sure it is locked since the one Jack and Eugene went into was. I hit the door as hard as I can, the lock breaking. I rush inside and head to the controls. I blindly flip a few buttons, and grab the lever that says 'bridge', which is fortunate for me.

"Is Maxine across?" I pant.

"Not yet. Come on, Doc. She can't raise it until you're both across. Come on! Come on!"

My hand starts shaking.

"Max, hurry! Please!" I yell.

"I'm clear, Five! Raise the bridge!"

I pull the lever as soon as she says that, sinking to the ground and sighing in relief as Sam whoops in joy.

"Yes! They're falling right into the water!"

After taking a short breather, I stand up and stagger out of the shack, still a tiny bit breathless as Maxine jogs over to me.

"Nice work, Five. You really saved our butts."

"All in a day's work," I reply.

"Alright, keep moving," Sam says. "You're not far from the yacht now. Let's see what that lot have got to..."

"Well, don't just sit there gawking. Open the door and say hello," Zoe scolds.

"Miss Denis, it's a pleasure to meet you," Phil says, and a foreign voice laughs.

"Mr. Cheeseman, I presume. The pleasure's all mine. This is where the magic happens, is it? I'm impressed. It's smaller than I imagined."

"We do with what we can," Jack says nonchalantly.

"You do a very fine job. Now let's see. You're Jack, and here's Zoe, and this must be Eugene Woods in the flesh."

Silence.

"'Gene?" Jack says. "Eugene, say hello to the nice lady."

"Hi! I'm a big fan and I've read all your books, and I can't tell you what it means to me that you made one of your characters bisexual, and I'm really excited to find out how it all ends, and you're really talented."

The words come out in a quick, jumbled mess, but Rachel must've understood it because she simply laughs.

"Thank you, Eugene. So, shall I bring the manuscript out to you, or would you like some tea first?"

"Actually, Rachel, we have a question we'd like to ask you first," Zoe says. "We'd like, well, we'd like to get away from it all-to go with you on your boat, wherever it is you're going."

"Oh, I see..."

"Can't you raise them?" Maxine asks frantically as static cuts off the transmission once more. "Tell them to stop! This is the future of the human race we're talking about!"

"They haven't been answering the radio since this morning! I think they're just too upset. And to be fair, they've got no reason to think they'd be important to the future of the world. You have to catch up with them. Run!"

My legs start to burn once more, my lungs start to sting again, but I keep pushing, desperation keeping me going. If we don't stop them now then we'll never get that intel. Everything will be a waste and we'll have no choice but to destroy the ZRD and leave everyone who's been put under Moonchild's helpless with no way out.

"Damn it!" Sam curses, static coming through my headset. "If they'd just answer me when I try to patch into the radio!"

Why do they have to be so freaking dramatic?

I have to fight the urge to rip my hair out.

"You'd have to work for your passage, of course," Rachel says, and I feel my stomach sink. I push myself to run faster, trying, desperately trying to reach the yacht. The van is parked close by, but it's empty. They're already on the yacht. Within a matter of minutes they've gotten everything off and are ready to go. We have minutes left to save the fate of the entire human race!

"Oh, of course," Jack says quickly. "Eugene's an excellent cook. Uh, Phil's very handy, so any repairs you might need-"

"No, no. Don't be silly," She interrupts. "I mean I fully expect you to continue to broadcast for the duration of our voyage."

"Oh. Well-"

"Yes!" Phil exclaims.

"Rachel, we'd love to," Zoe says, prompting a chuckle from the woman.

"It's decided then. Make sure you have everything onboard. These winds won't be favorable for long."

"You don't have much time, Runners," Sam says urgently. "If they leave in that boat with Amelia's intel, we'll have no idea when to use Moonchild's device on Comansys Tower."

"Yes, Sam, thank you for pointing out the obvious!" I exclaim, panic and frustration boiling within my blood.

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.

"There has to be some way to contact them," Maxine says.

"No, they don't have headsets or anything." Suddenly he gasps. "Wait! Runners, if you get close enough and tune your headsets to send on their frequency, we might get some cross talk into their equipment. They might be able to hear us."

"You heard the man, Five. Move."

I send her a hard glare, and she flinches. Still I keep running. Snow and ice make the ground slippery, but I don't care about a simple fall at the moment. I can feel my heart pounding in my chest, my blood roaring in my ears as my thoughts just keeping echoing one simple word...

Run! Run! Run!

"Run."

That last command sounded like Moonchild.

I shake my head. No, I won't let her get in the way of this. I won't let her get in my head, not this time.

"I don't know how much longer... I can do this," I pant, my feet beginning to stumble as exhaustion hits me like a brick wall.

"Just a little bit further, Five," Sam urges. The desperation in his voice keeps me going. It hurts. It hurts to push myself like this, but I keep doing it. I have to.

I have to for Abel and for my friends and family and for... everyone basically.

"I'm trying, but..."

"There!" Sam yells. "The boat's only a few hundred yards away. That should be close enough for our signal to interrupt theirs. Maxine, Runner Five, retune your headsets now. I'll uh..."

High pitched static floods my ears once more, and I hear Rachel let out a surprised scoff.

"You set up your equipment quickly enough."

"Oh, we've had loads of practice," Jack says, "what with all those interviews on the road, talking to different people in different places..."

"Ah, yes. It was so nice to hear how different everyone lives nowadays. Your piece with the people in New-"

"Jack! Jack, come in!" I yell, a stabbing pain spiking in my chest as I speak.

"Five?" Phil gasps. "What the hell?"

"Oh, Phil... thank God. Listen to me. You can't... you can't leave yet!" I gasp.

"What? Did you come to say goodbye to your fake fiancé?"

"Fake fiancé?" Rachel repeats. "You mean the two of you aren't really engaged?"

He laughs. "No. Five's in love with S..." He drags out the 's' for a long moment, having realized who must be listening in, "someone else."

I roll my eyes. Nice save.

"Look, we've made our decision, Five," Jack says. "We're leaving."

"No!" Maxine yells. "I mean, just wait. Just a few minutes. There's something we need from you first, and then you can leave."

"Dr. Meyers, this is Zoe. What do you need?"

"Zoe! Amelia-she was-"

"Using our van to secretly broadcast state secrets to her crows in the field? Yeah, we know," Phil interrupts.

"Well, yeah, but-"

"We were also sending back secret reports-"

"Phil, for God's sake. Will you just let the woman speak?" Zoe snaps. "It's obviously important."

"Thanks," Maxine says. "Amelia hid some very important information in your van. It's uh, part of uh, Henry Moore miniature sculpture that a fan gave you? Once we have that, you can leave, I promise."

"Dr. Meyers, this is Rachel Dennis here. I'm afraid we're already under way. If we don't leave now, we might have to wait days for the right conditions."

"What?" I gasp, nearly tripping over my feet as I see the yacht start to leave. "No! You can't! Don't you understand how important this is? We have to-"

"Five, Maxine, don't worry," Eugene says. "We left the sculpture in the van. I mean, we love our fans, but we didn't want to bring a twenty pound statue with us."

"Fantastic!" The tall woman exclaims. "Eugene, you literally are a lifesaver... of literally everyone!"

"Oh..." Jack says, and I tense.

"What is it, Jack?" Zoe asks.

"Well, I-I locked the van."

There's a moment on silence. "What?"

"I mean.. I didn't want it to get stolen!"

"I'm not sure cat theft is a particular risk in an apocalypse, Jack," Eugene says with a laugh.

"I-It's fine," I say, slowing down. "We'll just have to break a window."

"No... the statue's locked in a safe in the back."

My face falls. "Jack, I'm going to kill you."

"What? The guy said it was really valuable."

"Can't you just cut through my metal?" Phil asks.

"With what?" Maxine replies. "The handy blow torch that Runner Five brought? We don't have time for this! We think Moonchild's broadcasting her mind control signal within a few weeks, maybe even days! And we have to get to London. Jack, where are the keys?"

"Right here with me."

"Okay, get onto the top deck of that yacht and wait for my signal. Runner Five, you're going to make it to the end of that pier before that yacht passes. You're faster than I am so I know you can make it. Jack is going to throw you the keys. Go. Run!"

"Keep moving, Five! You have to be level with the boat before it leaves the harbor!" Maxine yells.

"I'm trying! You try sprinting after having ran for hours on end!" I scream back, my voice hoarse as tears run down my face. I try my best to blink them away, the cold stinging my brown eyes terribly.

"You think he can make that throw?" Phil asks.

"Of course he can," Zoe replies. "It's Jack."

"I don't know. You saw him in that cricket match."

"Well, if he misses, and they end up in the water, I'm jumping in myself to get them."

He scoffs. "I thought you weren't the action hero type, Zo."

"If it'll help free everyone at home from that monster, I'd jump into a thousand harbors, no matter how cold it is outside."

"Yeah... I hope they're alright. I-I hate leaving them like this."

"Run, Five!" Maxine yells, and I push myself to go faster. My legs feel like they're going to buckle under my weight any second. "You're almost level with the boat!"

I see Jack on the top deck. The redhead waves his hands frantically at me. "Five! Runner Five, up here!"

"I see you!" I yell back. "Hurry! I don't think I can keep running for much-much longer!"

"Jack, now!" Maxine commands, and he tosses the keys with a grunt. They fly through the air and I run, reaching my hand out.

Time slows down, and I am suddenly aware of the wind, the moving water, my own frantic breathing... I throw myself forward, the keys touching my gloved fingers. The push forward gives me enough momentum to grab them, and I hold to them tightly as I hit the cold wood of the docks. Pain explodes in my body, but I don't let the keys go.

"Jack, you wonder! You beautiful man! What a throw! What a catch! Yes! Sam, did you see that?" She pauses when she doesn't get an answer. "Sam?"

"Sorry! Sorry!" He says, coming in. "When you retuned your headset it made it made the signal here cut in and out. What happened? Please, please tell me it's good news."

So he didn't here that near confession from Phil. Thank God.

"The USB stick's still in the van, and we just got the keys from Jack. It's all good."

"Oh. And they're..."

"They're leaving," I pant, finally pushing myself up from the docks. I let out a small whine in pain, but still I stand and wipe away the tears. "They're on the yacht with Miss Dennis."

"Right. Right. Okay... y-yeah," He says, his voice wavering, and I sigh.

"I know. I'll miss them too... but they have their equipment. They're going to be broadcasting from the boat. It'll be like they never left."

"Yeah. Yeah. Alright, well, I was there for their first broadcast from Abel. You can be damned sure I'm not going to miss their first broadcast from a boat. You guys run back and get that hard drive. I'm going to-"

"While money means nothing now in the apocalypse, as the saying goes, you could literally not pay me to run right now," I interrupt as I walk back to Maxine, and Sam lets out a chuckle.

"Well, what if I payed you with something other than money?"

"What do you have in mind?" I tiredly joke back.

"Nothing at the moment, but I'll think of something."

"Well, don't keep me waiting too long."

"I'd never," He replies smoothly.

"Good, 'cuz you know how impatient I can get."

"That I do."

"Are you two finished?" Maxine asks with an exaggerated sigh, and I hear a small choking noise over my headset, as if he forgot Maxine was here.

"Uh, right. Sorry. Just let me, um..."

"Listeners, welcome!" Phil says enthusiastically. "You're joining us today as we set sail on a new adventure."

"Yes, welcome," Zoe says. "We're now broadcasting from the Belafonte, home of the famous author, Rachel P. Dennis. She's been kind enough to offer us passage to the island of Alderney, where we plan to settle down together, at least for awhile."

"But don't worry. We're pleased to say that we'll be continuing to transmit for a good time yet."

"We're also pleased to announce that we'll be broadcasting the entirety of the as yet unreleased final volume in the Laments of The World Saga. So all of you fans of Lea Truesong out there, be sure to tune in nightly from eight P.M. to catch the latest installment," Eugene says excitedly.

"And if you're not really into never-ending fantasy novels with uh, too many characters, not enough pictures, we'll still be bringing you our usual brand of radio entertainment," Jack says.

"But first, we'd like to give a big shoutout to everyone listening at Abel Township. Abel was our home for a long time, and we have many memories there. There were hard times, sure. Sad times, definitely. But that's not how we'll look back at it. Instead we'll remember Maxine's laughter, Janine's determination-"

"Five's sass," Phil interrupts.

"Sam's terrible jokes," Jack inputs.

"Most of which you told him," Eugene says.

"Yeah.. alright, uh, Abel, we love you. We'll miss you. We hope that after all this is over, when the world's safe again, you'll raise those old gates and we can come back home again. But until then..."

"Stay safe out there!" They all say.

A/N: Here you go, guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please be sure to vote and comment! Thank you and have a blessed day!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

106 34 17
I will kill him. I will mutilate him. I will make him hurt. And he'd never want to be alive again. After Luna was almost murdered by the doppelgänger...
To Be A Champion By Gravity

Mystery / Thriller

1.5K 183 50
Book 8 of the To Be A Runner Series A dying leader, a runaway madman, skeptical locals, and a piece of the book that could contain the secrets to eve...
435K 17.3K 43
Highest ranked- #10 in action 2/16/2017 A promotion. That's all I wanted. I didn't want to run for my life. I didn't want to be kidnapped...
72.5K 1.4K 28
Book 2 of where I belong series - It's been a year now since Y/n found out that she was the Great Alpha and it's been great She and Wyatt have an am...