Reckless Fearless Careless | ✓

By myreadingaddictions

"What are you doing here?" I ask but it comes out as a sob. I don't want him, or anyone for that matter, to s... More

Author's note
Character Aesthetics
1-Who Names Their Kid After A Gargoyle?
2-Sorry Sir, Girl Problems
3-It's Disney Time Bitches
4-Don't Call Me Maxi
5-Are You On Drugs Woman?
6-People Do Stupid Things Whilst Drunk
7-It's Not A Wall, It's A Person
8-Green Eyes Is Feisty
9-When Did You Meet That Idiot?
10-I Used My Friend's Green Crayon Without Telling Her
11-I Hope Max And Mason Have Planned My Funeral
12-I Painted Hugo's Room Hot Pink
13-The Big Bad Boy Needs A Nanny
14-I Completely Wrecked Mum's Car
15-Is He Half Robot Or Something?
16-Covered In Popcorn, Butter And Coke
17-Doing More Than Tutoring
18-Disney Is Life
19-The Tutor Code
20-You Only Won Because Of That Stupid Door
21-I'm Everyone's Type
22-Three Girls In One Night
23-A Royal Pain In The Arse
Character list
24-What The Hell Are You Doing In My Room?
25-You Think You Can Take Me?
26-Overly Thorough Directions
27-Dragged Through The Pits Of Hell
28-I Think I'm Going To Puke
29-Threatened By Random Year Eleven Girls
30-Did He Just Ask Me Out?
31-What's The Worst That Could Happen?
32-Why Am I Thinking Of Him?
33-Get Your Hands Off My Boyfriend
34-Cocky Bastards
35-I Love A Bad Girl
36-You're A Coward
37-Mystery Girl
38-I Dare You To Kiss Me
39-A Lingering Kiss
40-Walking Aimlessly In The Middle Of Nowhere
41-Sleeping With The Headmistress
42-Tearing Off Her Dress
43-How Much Did I Drink?
44-Zucchini Is A Made Up Vegetable
45-I Was His Everything
46-A Disapproving Look
47-I Just Care Too Damn Much
48-He Just Cares Too Damn Much
50-A Toddler On Crack
51-Strawberry Ice Cream
52-Terrible In Bed
53-I Like You
Epilogue
Bonus #1: The Walls Are Soundproof
Bonus #2: Your Bedsheets Are Funny
New Book

49-Save Her

11.7K 371 43
By myreadingaddictions

Play Believer by Imagine Dragons for this chapter
~*~*~

(Please read the authors note at the end — thank you)

Chapter 49: Save Her

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I groan inwardly at the annoying noise that doesn't seem to want to shut off. Begrudgingly, I go to lift the sheets to find the source of the disturbance but I can't. I almost scream in agony when I try to move my right arm, my limb violently protesting against me.

Huh?

I try to open my eyes to at least gauge where I am but they won't move, I'm stuck in this dark, blank space.

What's going on?

I can hear noises around me but they're faint and quiet, the previous beeping noise becoming more distant by the second. I'm begging my eyes to open, my fingers to twitch, my toes to wiggle but they won't. I'm stuck as this lifeless board, drifting from reality.

I don't know how long I lay there, fighting against this unknown force, desperately gripping to any hope of freedom but it was no use. Time just dragged on and on and on. Painfully. And slowly.

As the darkness consumes me, ready to swallow me whole, I know it's over. There's no way to fight this. My body is bound by invisible chains, my mouth and eyes sewn shut, making escape futile.

I stop my useless attempts to thrash about to loosen the binds, instead relaxing my body into a state of tranquility, ready for my struggle to finally end.

I can feel my life force being sucked away drop by drop, numbing the awareness to my nonexistent surroundings. I can no longer hear the thrum of voices or even the incessant beeping sound that was grating against my eardrums.

Everything is quiet.

Everything is still.

I welcome the peace with open arms, knowing this lonesome suffering is almost at a close. Soon I'll be free and away from this secluded limbo. Just a few more moments. My heart begins to slow, it's previous loud thumping now undetectable as each pump becomes further and further apart.

My mind begins to shut down, all thoughts escaping my brain, forgotten and unwanted as they're no longer of any use. It's over.

The veil of darkness is finally dropping to fully cover me when I suddenly feel a warmth spark at my fingertips, jolting my entire body, everything rushing back, and forcing it away.

I yearn for it to return, to envelop me once more but instead the chains which trap me choose to tighten and tighten to the point where it's excruciating, my body writhing in pain, a meek, pointless attempt at willing the binds to slacken somewhat.

Tighter.

Tighter.

Tighter.

I wish the darkness had come sooner. Anything is better than this. The numbness of my body is different to before. Instead of a comforting emptiness, harrowing, gruelling spasms rush up my spine, my entire being numb to everything except that antagonising feeling.

If I could move, I'm sure it would look like I'm having a seizure of some sort, my body jerking with unpredictable and aggressive movements. The thoughts pounding in my mind were full of distress and torment, further pushing me into a downward spiral of eternal affliction.

Would this ever end?

As if on cue, I stopped, all movement halted as I lay there motionless, surrounded by a euphoric silence, no longer hearing a white noise as blood pounded in my ears.

However, the serenity which I yearned for only lasted moments. Before long, I started to heat up, the chains now seeming to brand my skin and I could only imagine the menacing glow of them in my mind as if they really were there.

The temperature scorched me, heating me to my core. I felt as if I was on fire, invisible flames torching my flesh. It must have been a figment of my imagination though because I didn't smell cooked meat but it certainly felt like I was a spit roast.

I would've let go in that moment but something was stopping me. I could still feel the tingles in my left hand. They danced along my skin, licking at the flames to cool me. Whatever that feeling was, it was anchoring me, being my final tether before there really was no return.

I concentrated solely on it, trying my hardest to block my mind from the sheer agony my body was facing. It worked but only partially, the pain was still prominent but I'd managed to reduce it from vicious stabs to relentless throbs.

Hours passed and the pain wouldn't dull. I was still focusing on the tingles in my left hand but my energy was wearing thin, my willpower close to its tipping point.

I was done. It was over.

The darkness started to return once again but then the tingles in my left hand increased so they were rushing up my whole arm, pulling me back to reality — or whatever the hell this was.

They traveled through my body and loosened the binds as they went, not much but now I could wiggle around, giving me the smallest inkling of hope.

The movement sparked my body but in a warm and comforting way. Once it reached my ears, I could hear murmurs around me, soft and quiet but nevertheless, they were there. I strained to pick up what was being said but only managed to decipher a few words.

"...hold on..."

"...I need..."

"...please..."

"...crap..."

"...stop this..."

"...shit..."

"...fuck..."

"...save her..."

Words were starting to muddle together the more I tried to concentrate so I gave up but something about that voice made my mind race in wonder. I recognised it.

Despite the clear worry in the voice, it was deep, smooth and inviting. I wanted to open my eyes and see the person so I would know who it was but I couldn't.

No matter how much I tried, they wouldn't budge.

"...Aurora..."

Wyatt?

I've never heard him sound so desperate, so vulnerable. I want to hug and comfort him, tell him everything is alright but I'm not even sure what's wrong.

What could possibly cause him such distress? It doesn't matter. He's in trouble.

He needs me.

Instead of trying to open my eyes, I attempt to move my fingers instead, ignoring the torturous pain that relentlessly shoots through my body.

I have to do this, for Wyatt.

I want to scream and cry and give up all at the same time but I bite back everything I feel and concentrate on wiggling my fingertips.

Come on, Ari. You can do this.

After what feels like a lifetime, I manage the slightest twitch of my fingers. Using all my strength, I concentrate on my hand and try harder, this time to move my whole hand.

Slowly but surely I can regain some control of it and as I do I can feel the binds loosening further. I'm almost free. I've nearly done it. Just a little more.

Using my complete concentration, I focus on each limb one at a time, willing them to move. The movements are stiff and small but it's enough. The chains snap and I can finally open my eyes.

Carefully and slowly I do so, adjusting to the harsh, bright, artificial lighting. Everything is clean and white but it's too difficult to keep my eyes open fully for long so I choose to squint instead.

My ears prick at a familiar beeping noise, finding a strange comfort in the sound. I release a ragged breath as I try to fix my breathing, only now noticing that there's something covering my mouth and nose: a mask of some sort.

Where am I?

I go to move the mask slowly, as I can only move my left arm but as I reach for it a large hand wraps around my own, stopping me.

My eyes dart to the owner of the for mentioned hand and I release a breath I didn't know I was holding. Wyatt looks down at me, a look of utter relief on his face, his eyes shining with unshed tears. As he looks at me a few slip down his cheeks, dripping onto his top.

Watching him in confusion, I realise that this is the first time I've ever seen him cry.

~*~*~

Hey guys, how was that?

She's awake! I was lowkey tempted to kill her at one point (sorry) but it didn't fit my plan so she's safe...

And guys I know I don't do descriptive writing often because masses of it wouldn't fit the story but hopefully I managed to convey to you what Ari was going through and how she felt.

IMPORTANT

Also, I sort of mentioned this before but would you guys like to see a spin off book or a completely new one that has no relation at all? I've kinda got an idea for both so I'd love your feedback cause I keep going back and forth.

It's either an action (completely new which involves government agencies, spies and the mafia) or a (kinda) chicklit spin-off that can be read as a stand alone.

I'm sooooo torn cause I'd love to write both.

Well, that's all for now, until next time, byeeeeee xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 344 36
"What's your problem?" He asks darkly. "What's your problem?" I spit back. "Why do you keep following me?" He hisses. "I don't follow you!" I shout...
282K 4.4K 24
"Come on Austin. Please delete the video!" "No way." He smirks, "That'll be too easy." "What do you want from me?" "I need you to be my fake girlfr...
797 49 19
I could feel his whiskey eyes on me. Felt him stabbing me with his staring. "Can you stop?" I finally pointed it out after being too.. nervous? "St...
76.5K 1.9K 46
[Completed] Rated Mature 36 Chapters A teen bad boy (Ed) proposes a nerdy girl (El) he has been crushing on since junior school. They fall in love...