Belated Blessings

By idreamofme

Elise Riley-Tate moves through life in search of her happily ever after. After suffering a devastating loss... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 1: Honeybun
Chapter 2: First Things First
Chapter 3: Who's the Doctor?
Chapter 4: Hopeful
Chapter 5: Memories
Chapter 6: Peaceful Slumber
Chapter 7: All White Everything
Chapter 8: Slowly but Surely
Chapter 9: Feelings
Chapter 10: Where were you?
Chapter 11: Realizations
Chapter 12: Back To You
Chapter 13: A Deal is a Deal
Chapter 14: Sunny Skies and Thighs
Chapter 15: As The World Turns
Chapter 16: Change of Plans
Chapter 17: A Day to be Thankful
Chapter 18: The Lies We Tell; The Secrets We Keep
Chapter 19: Twinkle Twinkle
Chapter 20: Sharing is Caring
Chapter 21: Daddy's Blues
Chapter 22: Birthday Wishes
Chapter 23: Let's Straighten It Out
Chapter 24: Enough is Enough
Chapter 25: Preventative Measures
Chapter 26: Birthday Woes
Chapter 27: Cuts and Bruised Egos Pt. 1
Chapter 28: Cuts and Bruised Egos Part 2
Lets Talk
Chapter 29: Heartbreak Hotel
Chapter 30: Talking Tables
Chapter 31: New Year, New Possibilities
Chapter 32: Tate v. Simmons
Chapter 33: Aftershock
Chapter 35: These Are My Confessions
Chapter 34: Cake Cake Cake
Author's Note
Chapter 36: Just Spit it Out
Chapter 37: On Sight
Chapter 38: Taming the Beast
Chapter 39: New Adventures
Chapter 40: Game Changer
Chapter 41: Roads Less Traveled
Chapter 43: Champagne in my Chalice
Cherry Soliloquy
50K!!!
Chapter 44: I'll be Here
Chapter 45: Someone Please Call 9-1-1
Chapter 46: A Dangerous Woman
Chapter 47: I Was Here
OVOS AWARDS
Chapter 48: I Understand
Chapter 49: Rise Up
Prayers
Hmmm...
Sneak Peek: Peace from Pieces

Epilogue

3.9K 265 184
By idreamofme

December 25, 2016 ( 9 months later)

"One day when the glory comes

It will be ours, it will be ours

Oh one day when the war is won

We will be sure, we will be sure

Oh glory"

"Zach! Get the door," Elise yelled from upstairs.

"I got it," Zykese responded as he drug his house slipper-clad feet across the smooth hardwood floor. Zykese pulled the plastic step stool from underneath the console table near the doorway and positioned it so that he could stand on it and look through the peephole. Once identifying the visitor, he returned the stool and went back to open the door.

"Who is it," Zack queried as he made his presence known in the foyer while carrying a sleeping Aria Joy in his arms.

" It's mommy," Zykese answered.

"Let her in. I'm about to take your sister and lay her down," Zach said turning on his heels to take Aria to the nursery. Zach moved smoothly up the stairs, careful not to disturb his peacefully sleeping baby girl. He entered the nursery to see Elise coddling a fussy Amare Oshun.

To the surprise of everyone, including Dr. Anneise, Elise had given birth to a set of fraternal twins. Amare was never picked up on the ultrasound with him and his sister's syncopated heartbeats. Dr. Anneise was under the impression that Elise had formed another tumor. After pushing out a seven pound and five ounces baby girl, Elise complained of lingering contractions. Thirty minutes later a four pound even Amare made his debut. An overwhelmed Elise fainted after hearing the news of a second baby but was filled with an overwhelming sense of fulfillment after holding him in her arms. Although Amare played the background during Elise's pregnancy, he stole the spotlight upon his entrance into the world.

Aria Joy was a calm baby who whined more than cried and was easy to soothe, especially in the arms of her father and brother. Amare Oshun however, had the lungs of a toddler and wasn't afraid to use them. Surprisingly, his calm was his big sister Zakiya. She would rock him and hum songs that only she knew which caused the loud newborn to settle instantly.

"Mare, hush all that fuss," Zakiya fussed from the doorway with her hand on her hip, making her presence in the door known. She then walked over to the rocking chair in the far left of the room, had a seat, and stretched her arms out for her baby brother.

"Let me see him, Mama. He making all that noise for nothing. He spoiled," Zakiya ranted.

"I got him baby. You go ahead downstairs so you can open your gifts," Elise assured.

"And your mommy is downstairs," Zach interjected.

"I know. I gave her and Carmen a hug and a million kisses and told her I would be right back, " Zakiya answered confidently. Zach looked at his baby girl in amazement. She was wise beyond any nine years old he knew. Zakiya basically ran her siblings, Alauna included. Elise, not in the mood to go back and forth, gently placed Amare in her arms. Zakiya rocked back and forth humming her tune as Amare stared up at her wide-eyed.

"What's that song," Elise queried. She wasn't sure if she needed to download it or record Zakiya humming it, but either way, she needed it.

"It's Mare's song. Ari has one too," Zakiyah answered coolly. "I made it up for them. Luna is going to write some words, but I told her it didn't make sense because they don't understand it anyway."

"Kiya, you know her name is not Luna," Elise laughed lightly careful not to wake Aria.

"Don't fight it El. Just let it happen," Zach stated, and Elise shook her head in disappointment. Zach refused to call Alauna by her name and now has everyone calling her that and her answering to it.

"Ma, Dad, everybody is downstairs waiting on yall," Zykese yelled from the hallway.

"Shh boy! You better not wake up these babies," Zakiya hissed still rocking a now calm Amare as he fought sleep. Elise giggled under her breath at the fiery nine-year-old.

" Let's go downstairs and open gifts so everyone can eat, dooda. Mare will be okay," Elise said gently while scooping Amare from her arms. Zakiya sucked her teeth at the nickname she couldn't escape while her dad lifted an eyebrow silencing the pre-teen.

The five of them trodded gleefully down the stairs where their family awaited their arrival. Mama Ava took Amare and began humming " Amare's song." Elise looked on in disbelief. Her mother had a beautiful singing voice. Meanwhile, Elise couldn't catch a tune if you handed it to her. Mama Vivian and her now fiance, Kingston emerged from the kitchen. She glided over to Zach taking a sleeping Aria from his arms.

Elise and Zach sat beside the tree, while the grandmother's sat on the love seat with their youngest grandchildren. Gianna sat on the floor to the right of her mother. Jhene sat on the far left of the sofa with Zakiya and Zykese on the floor on both sides of her legs with a wiggling Carmen between them. Papa Tate and Mrs. Janice sat beside Jhene. Destiny sat on the ottoman while Jayme lay back between her legs with his massive arms draped over her thighs.

Elise and Zach began to distribute the gifts. Alauna's presents were moved to the back of the tree as she was in Iowa with her aunt and brother. Zykese and Zakiya were both immersed in their iPads, the clothes and shoes they'd received long forgotten.

"Elise," Jhene called grabbing her attention, "this is for you," she continued handing Elise a rectangular box with a card attached.

" Who is this from," Elise queried accepting the gift.

"Me and the kids," Jhene responded with a bright smile. Elise opened the card first and read its contents. Crocodile tears dropped singularly from her eyes as she finally lifted her head to catch Jhene's hesitant stare. Elise got up from the floor never uttering a word as she approached Jhene. Everyone froze and watched the scene before them with wide eyes wondering what was going on. There had been no drama between the two, and they'd hoped it would stay that way.

Elise stopped directly in front of Jhene and leaned down to embrace her in a tight hug. They rocked back and forth as they both began to cry. Carmen who was stuck in the middle patted both their legs making them separate with a slight laugh. Elise bent even further placing a sweet kiss on Carmen's forehead which caused the happy baby to reach up and wrap her arms around Elise's neck.

Elise wrapped her arms around Carmen's neck lifting her from the floor. She leaned back a little to gaze at Carmen. "Of course I'll be your Godmother, sweet girl," Elise cooed to her birthday twin and namesake. Gasps and sniffles were heard across the room. Elise made her way back to the tree with a bubbly Carmen still attached. Once taking her seat, she went to open the gift. Inside was a charm bracelet with each child's birthstone and initial.

(Not exactly the bracelet but you get the idea)

Elise fawned over the bracelet as she held out her wrist so that Zakiya could snap it on for her.

"Not to ruin the mood or anything but am I the only one that noticed that El's bracelet says "Azz," Destiny confessed and then leaned back on the ottoman in a fit of laughter. Luckily, Jayme's arms had some weight to it. Otherwise, she would have toppled over.

"Only you Dee, only you," Zach mumbled while shaking his head.

"Auntie Destiny, " Zakiya called holding her palms out making Destiny's mouth drop.

" Uh uh, don't make that face. You said a bad word I, and you said it in front Mare and Ria. Run me my money," Zakiya sassed tapping her open palm with her other hand. The room exploded with laughter as Zakiya stood there with a straight face and Destiny still in shock. Destiny looked to Elise for help, and she dropped her gaze to a busy Carmen who found joy in Elise's bracelet.

"Don't look at me sis, you created that monster," Elise spoke never looking Destiny's way.

"You got Paypal," Destiny questioned Zakiya knowing the nine-year-old didn't.

"No, but my daddy do. Now run," clap," me, "clap, "my," clap," money," Zakiya clipped.

"Check yo phone daddy," Zakiya said whipping her head in her daddy's direction.

"It's upstairs baby, but we gon' make sure you get your money," Zach instigated.

"Mmmhm," Zakiya hummed side-eyeing Destiny as she reclaimed her seat.

"Jhene, this is for you," Elise said handing her an evergreen colored envelope.

"You didn't have to do this. You all have already done enough," Jhene said softly. Gianna grabbed the envelope from Elise placed it on Jhene's lap.

"Girl, you're family. Cut that out. The past is the past. Now moving onward," Gianna said dismissively waving her off then gesturing towards the envelope. Jhene hesitantly opened it and revealed a spa package from Ross Bridge. It included the works, massage, facial, manicure and pedicure, dinner, and a suite for the night.

"I know that last semester of school is going to be stressful, so I wanted to offer you a way to de-stress before the madness began," Elise cooed offering her a warm smile.

"Thank you so much," Jhene blushed unable to hide her smile. Her eyes roamed the room, and her body took in all the love and positive vibrations her unconventional family offered her. This was all so surreal. After giving birth to Carmen, she and her mom gained quite the distance between the two. Jhene refused to follow the bitter baby mama trek her mom had been traveling. She wanted more for herself and her children, and she couldn't obtain that holding on to hurt that was over a decade old.

"There should be one more gift over there," Jayme called out. "Babe," Jayme spoke turning to face Destiny, " look over there and see if you see that gift I wrapped for my mama. I gotta piss right quick." Destiny popped him on his arm for his choice of words but made her way over in search of Mama Vivian's gift.

"I found love in you. And I've learned to love me too. Never have I felt that I could be all that you see. It's like our hearts have intertwined into the perfect harmony," Mama Ava began to singing making everyone look at her.

"This is why I love you," she continued as everyone saw Jayme reenter the room and drop to one knee. Destiny continued to fumble through gifts despite the real show that was happening behind her back.

"Destiny," Jayme called to her.

"Hold on Jay. I'm trying to find this damn gift. I think we left it at home. "

"Language Auntie," Zakiya sassed holding her hand out. Destiny whipped her head in her niece's direction but was stopped in her tracks at the sight of Jayme.

"No, No, No, No, No," she mumbled turning back towards the tree burying her face in her palms — masses of water of streaming from her eyes as the levees broke. Her diminishing vision allowed her ears to tune in to the words Mama Ava sang.

"I found love in you. And no other love will do — every moment that you smile chases all of the pain away. Forever and a while in my heart is where you'll stay," Mama Ava sang, and Destiny found the courage to turn on her knees and face the man she proclaimed to be the love of her life. She stared at him as the floods sloshed at her cheeks. She walked over towards him on her knees and paused a few feet away from him.

They stared at each other intently — their eyes telling stories of a love so pure and raw that it seemed unimaginable to others. A lone tear escaped Jayme's eyes, and he didn't care to wipe it away. He felt safe showing his emotions, kneeling before the first and only woman that he for sure loved unconditionally. As Mama Ava finished the song, Jayme cleared his throat.

"Baby, I think you're supposed to stand," Jayme joked finally finding his voice.

" I-I don't think I can," Destiny said sheepishly as she sunk her teeth into her trembling bottom lip. Her eyes shifted behind Jayme, where she noticed her mother and brothers standing. Her breath got caught in her throat, and Jayme made his way over to her and coached her to breathe.

"Breathe baby," Jayme cooed while wrapping his arms around her. Destiny burrowed her head in his chest while taking deep breaths to calm her racing heart. Sniffles and the cooes of babies could be heard in the distance. Jayme separated from her and scooted back so that he could look her in her eyes.

" When I first met you I couldn't stand," Jayme joked earning laughs from everyone and a glare from Destiny, " you were loud and confrontational. You turned my niece and nephew on me. I was no longer the cool uncle because they had an even cooler aunt. But, you were also loving, accepting, and loyal. You loved even when it hurt. You were confident in who you were and never wavered on your beliefs. Before I met you, I was certain that I would be a bachelor for life. Love had never found me until I found you," Jayme paused as Destiny reached up and wiped the tears from his face.

"You are love. You are my love in human form. You are indeed the blessing from God that I never knew I needed. You allowed me to be me and loved me for all my flaws. You allowed me to express my emotions without feeling weak or less of a man. You allowed me to be a man and lead us on this journey and it's time I bring us to the next level the God has for us." Jayme stood to his feet and grabbed Destiny's hands in his and assisted her off of the floor. Once he saw that she was stable, he dropped to one knee, still holding her left hand in his as her brother placed the ring in his right hand.

"Destiny Lenae Waters, will you bless my life by becoming my wife," Jayme choked out.

"Yes," Destiny whispered. "Yes, yes, yes, a million times yes," she screamed as he slipped the 14k Rose Gold Pave Infinity Diamond ring on her finger. Destiny cupped Jayme's face in her palms and kissed him passionately.

There wasn't a dry eye in the room. Elise had made her way over to Zach and was cradled in his arms crying like she was the one getting engaged. Destiny's old brother held her mother as she cried tears of joy for her baby and only girl.

" Aight yall can save that for the privacy of your own home, " Destiny's brother called out causing the couple to separate and the onlookers to laugh.

As Destiny received congratulations from her mother and brothers and Jayme spoke with his dad, Elise and Zach were nestled in their own little world reminiscing on their engagement and the love they shared.

Elise looked around at all her family and reveled in how far they'd come. " He may not always come when you want Him," Elise whispered.

"But He's always on time," Zach responded kissing her forehead.

Well, my loves! We've finally made it. It was hard writing this final chapter. I kept writing and deleting trying to make peace with my separation from my first baby. This book has been healing and entertaining for me. When I decided to write this story, I wanted it to be something real. Regular people, with regular jobs, going through real problems.  Some people didn't care for it and that's okay. Those that were meant to read it, read it. Thank you all for the love you have shown me over the course of this journey. For those have been with me since late April, you're the real OG's. That doesn't discredit my new readers because I love and appreciate you all too.

For my readers that also have books of your own, I've been trying to return the same love and energy you have given me. If I haven't let me know. Anywho, I love you all. 

Until  Next TIme

Kay

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28 0 13
Elise is a simple, young, handicapped patient who lives a normal life with her grandmother. On a surprising morning, she finds herself connected with...
7.7K 105 24
kar·ma /ˈkärmə/ (n)-fate ; destiny. It is always said that karma is a bitch. Danny falls in love with his best friend's sister. He has promised to R...
486 7 22
Hayley has lost everything. Her world fell apart in seconds and now she has to find a way to put herself back together. Full of grief and hopelessnes...
77.4K 4.1K 31
After dealing with a public affair and taking her husband Carlos back. Jewel struggles to find her new normal and how she fits into it all. With the...