A Half Step Towards Victory

By Writuu

Long ago, around a conquered era, stood the Twelve superiority seals. The strongest in the martial world, eac... More

❝Wake up❞
❝Dazzling Sky❞
❝Supreme Master❞
❝Desirable Freedom❞
❝Zongse Of The East❞
❝The Will To Fight❞
❝Kind hearted❞
❝A Worthy Opponent❞
❝Friend or Foe?❞
❝Beyond The Mountain❞
❝Troubled❞
❝Shining Novice❞
❝A Man On A Mission❞
❝Serpents Attack❞
❝Critical Situation❞
❝Rush To The Top❞
❝Aftermath❞
❝Solution❞

❝immanence❞

49 2 0
By Writuu

Chapter 16

".... Sniff"
The cold wind began to blow, flowing freely like a calm river on the surface of the earth.
Silence spread around the area, the silent village became inactive, the lights became too dim. Giving the spotlight to the moon to shine with it's beautiful luster in a long night.

"Rise. . ."

The ill-looking boy rose his head off the floor when a certain memory crossed his dull and empty mind. A heart which was filled with sorrow yet inability to feel or cry any further. His eyes moved across the dark and dusty room, towards a dim light coming from a gap between the door.

Suddenly someone started knocking on the door.

*Knock knock knock*

The poor boy had narrowed his eyes, trying to look across the window, however it was a bit too hard to see from that distance and also because his sight has become too weak to even take a glimpse of who could be outside.

He had no expression to put on his face, a lifeless face to be said.

A speech broke through the deep silence, a familiar voice which belonged to the man who the young boy was working with, at the farming site. The man spoke in a sad tone.

"I hope you are holding up well kid. . . I know it's all been hard especially after your mother's-. . ."

The man paused through his speech for a moment, before resuming again as he noticed how hard was it for him to say such a thing.

"Whatever now. . . i brought you something to eat, please help yourself"

The man placed a small basket, wrapped in a piece of cloth on the rocky ground before the door of the house, before leaving silently back to where he came from.
The basket which contained food for the boy.

". . . . ."

The boy's body wasn't helping him pretty well, it has become too weak to stand up, he struggled until he managed to crawl on the floor while placing his hand on the wall as he moved from a spot to another, it was too dark to even move freely.

Until he arrived into an old room in the house, he sat down while laying his back on the cracked wall behind him, then he dug his hand into a piece of cloth nearby him while searching for something.

He pulled out something similar to a piece of bread, it was too tough and hard to eat.

By digging his teeth into the hard piece of bread and cracking it with a dry mouth he continued to chew on it for a long time before swallowing it. Hoping that a tiny bit of saliva would make it easier for him to swallow.

"Sniff. . . I told you I won't be late."

His swollen eyes began to tear up again, a few tears ran down on his dry cheeks. Yet he continued struggling against this hard piece of bread and against his sadness, trying to remain tranquil was not that easy for him. But he couldn't stop himself from falling apart.

". . .I'm sorry"

He cried, suffering from the pain of his mother's death. Being separated from his beloved mother in an instant left him with so much pain that ended up with a broken heart and a weak body struggling against such hard feelings.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. . .!"

Not too long, until the boy had fallen asleep in the middle of a dark empty room in a cold presence.

The next morning.

Activity was all over the village again, the sun's luminous light gave life to the village once again, everyone but a certain individual.

One of the villagers was walking by the boy's house and noticed the small basket of food placed before the door outside. He sneaked towards it, snatching it and running away with such manners of a thief, even though he did not care for who it belonged to.

Someone else noticed the man running away headed from the boy's house, a man who wore a bamboo hat with a mysterious figure. Walked towards the door of the house, standing there in silence, all he did was staring at the door in silence.
Two women were passing by, their conversion was overheard by the man, which caught his attention sharply.

"Look. . . it's another dangerous looking murderer, did he come to slaughter the boy too just like how his mother was?"

"Shhh. . . we better not give this any attention, the boy might as well be dead by now."

They said before walking away quickly.

The man gritted on his teeth, clenching his fist tightly in anger, he rose his hand slowly towards the door, intending to knock it, however, something stopped him from doing so. He fixed his bamboo hat above his head, before walking away with no words to speak.

Later at the farming site. . .

"Excuse me."

The mysterious man stood before a man who was cultivating the land beneath him, stabilizing the soil with a specific tool of a long handle with a flat blade fixed perpendicular to it at the end, used for digging.

"Yes? How can I help yo-. . ."

The man was shocked when he saw the mysterious man standing before him as if he had recognized him.

"Aren't you that one person who has business with the owner Dulong hee?"

The man asked while whipped his sweat off his forehead.

"Yes. . . how rude of me, I should have introduced myself"

He moved the bamboo hat to the back slightly, to expose his face to the man standing before him. Before bowing politely he gave the man a warm smile which was full of kindness, a smile that shone like the clear sun.

"I'm Liang, I had something to ask and I thought you might help me out," said Liang.

"Good heavens, how can an old man like myself help you son?" said the man, surprised of Liang's manners towards him.

"I was looking for a certain someone, and I think you may know him, he is a boy this tall and he used to work here whenever I came here for. . . business with Dulong Hee."

Liang said before returning the bamboo hat to its original position above his head.

"Oh. . . you mean stubborn jingo"

Said the man.

"What a name-. . . yes, I want to know a few things about hi-"

The man quickly interrupted Liang's speech with a sharp gaze, grasping the farming hoe nearby him.

Liang quickly bent his upper body down before the man in a respectful manner.

"I mean no harm. . . . all I wanted to know about him didn't contain any harm and I am aware of what happened, that's why-"

"Raise your head young one you are good, I will answer your questions..."

Their conversation was interrupted by a man shouting from a distance, not too far from them.

"Tian Ju! What the hell are you doing?! I don't pay you to talk to strangers and slack off!"

Liang rose his hand towards the man which appeared to be Dulong Hee, the owner of the farm. Dulong Hee became silenced once Liang has moved his hand.

"Sir Dulong Hee. . . if you may, I need to have a talk with this man privately you don't mind do you?"

Liang asked with a sharp gaze towards Dulong Hee.

"Damn. . . whatever" Dulong Hee turned around, walking away without saying much.

"Good god, no one has ever managed to silence this bastard's yelling before. You have got your ways son, i give you that"

Said Tian Ju with a sneaky smirk on his face, with his eyes directed at Liang.

Liang laughed nervously before moving to the main course.

"Well. . . i guess it's time for me to ask what I got?"

Both of Liang and Tian Ju walked along the field continuing their conversation.

"Ever since that day he stopped coming outside of the house, he stopped coming to work and rumors keep spreading here and there about him being dead as well. . . . but i have seen him a couple of times at the village's cemetery before his mother's grave during the cold night"

Said the man as he continued walking.

"He has no other relatives?"
Liang asked with a serious expression on his face.

"I'm afraid not, ever since I knew the kid. . . . all he did was work to support his ill mother, he knows nothing about his own father nor he had ever seen him"

Tian Ju stopped midway and said.

"I'm afraid to even I can't help him overcome such pain, he seems to be struggling against it because she was the only one who took care of him and she was the only one whom he truly treasured"

The soft wind started to blow softly around the land. While Liang stood there witnessing the hurtful truth.

It stroke Liang's heart to know and feel the true suffering that the boy has been going through.

----------------

"I apologize, son, I must go back to work now but I do have a question. . why did you want to know about the boy?"

Said, Tian Ju, as he directed his gaze back again at Liang in sheer curiosity, Liang slowly nodded his head in agreement, closing his eyes in a calm manner, after breaking out of his distraction from spacing out.

"It's.... Well I was just curious, the news spread through the village and i thought i would ask you that's all"

Liang bowed towards Tian ju before grasping the tightening rope of his backpack, preparing for his departure.

"Thank you, Sir Tian ju, I hope to see you well next time we meet-"

The young man had turned around, taking his few steps toward the other side of the field.

Tian Ju laughed slightly until Liang had cut a distance away from the field and so he went back to his work.

The sunlight began to vanish slowly behind a visible amount of thick light gray clouds accompanied by a cold wind that blew a bit stronger and faster than the previous wind.

*Fwoosh. . .Fwooo*

"Quick take all the children inside!"

A man stood across the path in the village while yelling and moving some children into a medium-sized building with supportive columns made of a concrete material which was painted red.

"Teacher we want to play-"

Said one of the children.

"This is not the time, get inside now!"

Liang noticed what has been going on, so he stopped at a short distance away from the man when he spoke.

"Excuse me what's the matter?"

"What do you mean by what's the matter? A strong storm will be hitting the village soon, it's going to be a mess. You must get in your house as well. . .Move on Kids!"

"A storm. . .?"

Liang noticed the sudden change in the weather and the strong wind which started blowing even stronger than before.

"I better find somewhere to stay at until this is over. . ."

Liang continued walking along the village, searching for the nearest inn he could find while watching people run into their houses and closing their shops here and there.

However, something inside him made him take it a bit further and reach the part of the village where the boy's house is located.

Finally, strong disturbance had consumed the sky, a flash of white light began to appear repeatedly in silence before striking with a roaring sound.

The sky became dark and low with ominous black clouds and the wind picked up, Roaring, crying yet the strikes of lightning gave the sky a mighty expression like no other. Another few seconds, another strike of the thunder reverberated overhead.

The wind became stronger, swirling and gusting which tore leaves from the trees. The rain finally lashed down...

*Chung!!*

". . . . .?!!"

Liang stood with eyes wide open in shock, the expression on his face was unclear whether it was anger or massive shock when he saw the door of the boy's house widely open and hitting the wall rapidly from the strength of the gusting wind.

He quickly ran inside in hurry.

"Kid are you there?!"

Transporting from a room to another, in search of the boy in that old house. He stopped when he finally realized that the boy is not anywhere in the house.

"He is not here. . ."

He quickly gazed outside of the house looking at the raging storm that has engulfed the entire village within an hour.

"No way. . ."

The raindrops were racing downwards haphazardly, splashing the surface of the earth, accumulating here and there forming different sized portions of water splattered on the surface of the village.

Liang was running outside nonstop already, calling out for the boy and looking for him, without any hints on where he went and what when did he.

A fragmented memory came together like a completed puzzle, striking worrisome Liang's thoughts while he was searching out for the boy in an unsuitable time and situation to search out for someone.

A past memory from Liang's mind. . .

"Rise. . . get up"

Liang appeared to be standing before the boy who was laying on the solid floor, barely able to differentiate between reality and illusion.

". . . Mmm?"

The boy slowly gazed up at Liang with pairs of lifeless eyes imbibed into his face.

The light leaked into the house once again, for a moment it gave warmth to the boy. He rubbed his eyes before looking back at Liang noticing that he began to move closer to him. Hysterically he backed away from Liang, shaking in fear yet his expressions changed to anger and hate.

The boy quickly picked a piece of glass from the floor, grasping it tightly towards him in a defensive manner had hurt his hand causing blood to fall down.

". . . ."

Liang did not take any step closer, he gazed into the boy's eyes, bravely looking into his soulless eyes he took another step closer extending his hand towards the boy, however, the boy responded quickly when he says Liang move his hand closer to his head. With all, he had from the force he quickly cut Liang's palm before stumbling across another room.

". . . .!"

Liang looked at the wound engraved in his palm, before clenching his fist tightly, squeezing the blood outside of his hand.

"I can never describe your pain now because I don't feel it. . . but we both can share the same pain for you to overcome your sorrowful memories. ."

Said Liang, before turning around and walking outside the house as the boy heard his steps get away slowly until he finally left.

"I Finally know how you feel. . . if only i-"

*Boom!*

The strong thunder sound cracked through Liang's thoughts, lighting the way before him which made him notice a trail on the left side of the boy's house which leads to a forest.

"The village's cemetery. . .There!"

Liang remembered what Tian Ju said back then when he saw the boy at the cemetery before his mother's grave.
Feeling the rush, Liang ran quickly towards the trail deep into the forest, hoping that he would find the boy where he had expected him to be.

___________

On the other side; at the cemetery.

*Rumble Rumble!*

Thunder continued howling like a wild wolf striking fear into the living, the wind did not stop gusting strongly. Yet the boy was on his knees before a grave in the middle of such strong storm.

"Mother. . .what am i going to do without you now? Where do I go?. . . it hurts"

He placed his face between his palms while crying loudly as if it was challenging the loud rage of thunder above him.

"It really hurts mother. . . .it really does" A considerable moment of silence went on as the boy sat down hugging his knees before his mother's grave, facing his own sorrows.

*Growl*

The boy was unable to differentiate between the other sounds around him whether it was the moving grass, the rustling leaves or the howling thunder.

However, a certain sound grabbed his attention, the presence of something around him which he was unwary of until he heard slight growling from behind him, as he heard that sound when he slowly turned his head at a suitable angle, to be able to see what was accurately behind him, chills went down his spine, his skin became pale, as he gasped softly in fear.

A huge beast, similar to an oversized tiger with white fur and dark blue lines lining his entire body, with two reddish fangs extended downwards its, mouth and luminous red, colored spikes that gleamed whenever the lightning appeared, reflected on them along with its blood red eyes.
The beast prepared to stomp on the boy, with its large paws that were about to crush the boy down.

"Gaahhh!"

The boy quickly snapped out of the state of fear, quickly rolling to the other side, watching the beast devastate the ground with its unimaginable strength.
He finally gathered enough courage to stand up and run as fast as he could, yet the beast was larger in size, he was getting closer and closer until the boy noticed a gap between two huge boulders.
He quickly jumped between them before the beast had hit him with his long sharp claws when it missed, the impact of the claws caused a few trees to be cut and fall above each other.

". . .No"

His body was shaking, he noticed that he hurt his leg while running bare feet but the situation was completely difficult to solve for a boy his age. The beast extended its forelimb between the gap trying to catch the boy but it was too narrow. The beast gave up after failing to grasp him this way. It took a few steps backward, when it opened its mouth widely as a gleaming charge of energy began to form, as if the beast was charging an attack at the two boulders to destroy the boulders along with the boy.

"...Euk!"

The boy thought to himself, a different feeling stroke his heart, overcoming that moment of fear. Instead of giving in to his fear.

Moment of resolve, the flame of courage has finally awakened in his heart when a fragmented memory pushed all his other thoughts away

"You are special my dear child, this is why you have to continue fighting against your obstacles without fear, it's time for you to shine . . .Zuo"

Bravery has been generated by the wisdom of his mother's words, the boy girt his teeth with a strong resolve and a serious grin carved in his face, he dashed towards the beast before the last second where the beast had fired a blast out of his mouth opening, destroying the mighty sized boulders, as the boy slid on the wet grass beneath the wild beast finally escaping from such damage as he quickly stood up, running for his life and for the sake of survival against this wild threat.

"Ack!"

The boy slipped outwards on the wet green leaves beneath his feet.

His cry has brought the beast's attention back at him once more, the beast growled angrily before running at the boy attempting to jump at him and finish him at once.

Paralyzed in fear, starting to feel the pain resulted from his previous wounds leaving the boy helpless, His breath came in small spurts, hot and hazy with loud heartbeats kicking through his chest cavity, after struggling for this long everything was in vain.

No hope for escaping...

The beast finally jumped at the boy, extending it's devastating claws forwardly with a loud growl accompanied by the shaking thunder sound.

"AHHH!"

The boy closed his eyes, moving his head to the other side with his forearm extended before him when he realized that it was already over and there is no way to survive.

*Crung. . .BOM!*

A loud noise echoed through the entire forest as if it has shaken the entire area with.

Silence prevails. . . .

"Well, you sure are one troublesome kid I will give you that"

A young clear voice of a man spoke nearby the boy.

Liang appears to be standing on a thick tree branch while carrying the boy by wrapping his arm around his hip, the boy slowly opened his eyes, looking straight at Liang.

"Yo!"

Liang greeted the boy in a semi child-like manner.

The boy looked down noticing that the beast had bumped its head against a few trees, which made it feel dizzy with a disturbance in its balance.

"AHHHHH!!"

The boy screamed hysterically.

"Woah! you really are a loud kid-"

*GRAWR!*

The beast finally snapped out of confusion once he heard the boy's scream.

"Great. . .what a genius"

The beast quickly turned around, bashing the tree with his claws angrily as the tree started to fall down because its base has been cut by the beast's durable claws that looked like razor blades with a sharp curvature.

*Crack. . .BONK!*

"HANG ON!"

Liang grabbed the boy tightly by his cloth, leaping downwards, to avoid being crushed along with the falling tree. The beast avoided being hit by the tree.
Liang succeeded in landing on the ground safely as he put the boy down, watching out for the beast's next move.

"That kitty outsmarted us. . ."

When Liang looked around he noticed that most routes were blocked by tall thick fallen trees surrounding each and every escape route.

"I guess I have no choice. . ."

The rain began to fall harder and Lighting strikes followed, the wind blew Liang's bamboo hat away, after being damaged by the beast's impacts, exposing Liang's complete identity, the wind began to flow through his pale bright, noble hair that waved like silk.

"You were courageous, well done . . . now rise!"

A gleaming, luminous light began to emit from Liang, glorious aura gathered around his mighty structure, while the beast moved slowly, circling them waiting for the right moment to strike.

Liang looked back at the boy with a smirk that contained bravery and confidence, a smirk of might.

"Watch out!"

The boy screamed his lungs out when he saw the beast dashing right at them like a lighting bolt being fired in an instant.

"GRAAAAA!"

The beast cried.

"Transcending Sky technique. . . SEAL OF VICTORY!!"

Liang aura grew wider instantly lightning the entire area with its gleam.

". . . .!!"

Liang extended his palm forwardly until it touched the beast's forehead, instantly stopping its movement, the beast's body got wrapped with gleaming symbols that engulfed its body, until it scattered into glowing bits with a shiny luster.

A shiny golden orb, the size of a pebble fell on the ground after the beast had disappeared.

"Wh-WHA-?!"

The boy stood up, shocked while looking around at the glowing tiny shards that was hailing on the surface, not too long until he had fainted and lost his balance, Liang quickly grabbed him before falling.

"Well done. . ."

__________

Later on the next day. . . .

The storm stopped raging, the sky became clear once again, with its rich blueness, and the penetrating sun rays that poured its beautiful rays on the surface of the land, feeding the plants and lighting the village for the beginning of a new day full of activity and.... Cleaning the mess caused by the storm.

"Good grief look at the sky outside!"

Liang extended his head outside of the window of the boy's house, looking at the village regaining its activity once again.

The boy slowly opened his eyes to find himself laying on the bed, with a part of sunlight entering through the window and being directed at his face.

"You woke up. . .Stubborn Jingo!"

Said Liang with a smile on his face.

"YOU!"
The boy suddenly reacted, humping on the bed like a startled cat.

Liang slowly took out something from his backpack what looked like a soft round bread, then he handed it to the boy.

"Eat jingo! You must be hungry"

The boy looked at the bread hungrily yet he was worried that it might harm him in a way.

"Go on-"

The boy started munching on the bread as if he did not eat for a long period of time.

"Guess you needn't any permissions, have some more"

Liang placed three more pieces in front of the boy, as he took one for himself, then he started taking a bit after the other while gazing outside of the window.

"Sniffle. . ."

Liang noticed that the boy was chewing the food while crying heavily in without much noise.

"It's alright, she wants you to well so continue living. . ."

Liang placed his palm over the boy's yeah petting it gently.

"You did well, stubborn jing-"

"Zuo. . ."

The boy spoke while gazing at Liang with a grin.

"Zuo?"

"My name is Zuo, not jingo."

Said the boy, wiping his tears away.

"Zuo is it. . . damn it old man"

Liang smirked in a sneaky manner before he spoke again

"You may call me Liang and we share the same fate. . .Zuo"

The boy gazed into Liang's eyes which were filled with hope and kindness both at once, the bond between Zuo and Liang has been made, yet many hidden events await them.

TO BE CONTINUED. . .

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.8K 290 25
'The largest egg in mountain high, will give to you the wings of sky.' We all know how the SkyWing egg was lost right? Well, in this world, what if t...
7.1K 351 63
A dragon. A girl. A deal sealed in blood. Lightning flickered over the dragon's onyx scales. "You will have to walk through fire and death. You will...
123K 3.4K 28
(**Currently in the process of being edited AS OF OCT 2023 lol IDK how long this will take to rework but bear with me**) Set between books 4&5 and w...
83.5K 4.8K 75
As a child, Wei Wuxian had been rescued from living on the streets and taken in by the Lans. Being haunted by his past, he slowly got better in the c...