Tainted: Origins of a Psycho

By ReadingtheInsanity89

*Prequel to She Belongs to Me* What makes a man into a monster? This is the story of how Vincent Graves came... More

The Birth
Unwanted
Sunday Morning
Sunday Afternoon
Sunday Evening
Grandma's House
Valentine's Day
The Talk
The Lesson
True Colors
The Secret
Healing
The Best Medicine
Scapegoat
Guardian
A Friend and A Visitor
Mother (Part One)
Mother (Part Two)
Mother (Part Three)
Faint
Creep
The Funeral
Help
Sister Veronica
Visitation
Gone
Homecoming
Human
Tension
Small Talk
The Deed
Christmas (Part One)
Christmas (Part Two)
Greed
Feelings
Blackmail
Out
Confession
Dinner Plans
Screwed
Surprise Guests
Hell
Retribution (Part One)
Retribution (Part Two)
A New Start
New Book!

Catching Up

4K 264 200
By ReadingtheInsanity89

SEVEN YEARS LATER-August 22, 2006

Vincent (Age Sixteen):

Most teenagers my age are excited when the first day of a new school year starts. They look forward to the prospect of starting all over again, learning from the mistakes made during the previous school year.

Some vow to make more friends, while others are determined to further their academic success. High school is nothing but a big rat race, and I couldn't care less about any of the crap that came with it.

My only care was to get my diploma so I could leave this stupid town and go to a good university, where I would get my doctorate in human psychology. After that, I would wait and see what life threw at me next.

The morning bell sounded off and the halls were soon bustling with obnoxious jocks and other misfit losers.  I trudged to my first class and picked a seat in the very back of the classroom.  A few pretty girls stared at me with smiles on their faces, but I ignored them and shoved my nose in a book until our teacher finally graced us with her presence.  She was a heavy set woman with white hair and a big nose.  Her eyes scanned the class before she began rambling on about how she expected us to be well behaved. 

I rolled my eyes and groaned aloud, something that caught the attention of everyone in the class.  The teacher folded her arms and asked, "What is your name, young man?"

"Vincent."

"Well, Vincent, is there something you would like to share with us?  Perhaps you would like me to speed things along so you won't be bored?"

I shrugged my shoulders.  "That would be nice."

The others students laughed and her face flushed redder than the ugly sweater she was wearing.  She pulled a pink slip from the top drawer of her desk and held it in the air with a frown.  "Since you don't want to be in my class you can go to the office!"

I stood from my desk and threw my backpack over my shoulder, ignoring the laughter of the others as I walked to the front of the class.  "Whatever."  I said, taking the pink slip from her hand. 

I walked down to the office and took a seat in one of the vacant chairs.  The secretary, a sweet woman by the name of Miss Johnson, shook her head with a smile when she saw me.  "My goodness.  Have you already gotten into trouble, Vincent?"

"Yep."  I said, handing her the slip with a smirk.

She looked over it and chuckled.  "Ah, I see you've made a good impression on Mrs. Corn."

"Yeah, she's my new best friend."

"You shouldn't piss off that old fossil, Vincent.  She's liable to put a hex on you."

We both laughed quietly until the principal's door opened.  He stepped out with a clipboard in his hand and raised his eyebrows at me.  "This must be some kind of new record for you, Graves.  It hasn't even been ten minutes and you've already managed to get yourself sent down here."  He looked me over for a few seconds, then shrugged.  "I really don't feel like writing anyone up on the first day of school.  Go back to class and be nice to Mrs. Corn, would you?"

"Yes, sir."  I said, watching as he tore the pink slip and threw it in the trash.  I stepped back into the hallway and started making my way back to class.  I was almost there when I felt a hand tap my shoulder.

"Excuse me..." a soft voice said from behind me.  "I don't know this building well.  Can you show me how to get to the math wing?"

"Sure."  I said, turning around.

My brown eyes immediately landed on a familiar pair of blue ones. We stared at each other in stunned silence for a moment, then she threw her arms around me. "Vincent!" She cried, squeezing me so hard I could hardly breath. "Holy cow, it has been so long since I've seen you!"

She pulled away from me and I clasped on to her shoulders.  "I can't believe it."  I said, "I thought I would never see you again, Katherine."

She smiled at me as I looked her over.  She was even more beautiful since the last time I saw her.  I let go of her and leaned against the wall, rubbing the back of my head with an awkward grin.  "Things were so weird when you guys left.  I thought Dad was never going to recover.  He was so crushed."

Katherine cringed at the mention of Dad.  She shook her head and swiftly changed the subject. "I guess I should get to class. Let's talk more at lunch, okay."

"Okay."

We went our separate ways and I returned to Mrs. Corn's classroom. She reluctantly allowed me to return to my seat in the back, then proceeded to lecture the class about respecting your elders.

Listening to her was boring as sin as watching paint dry, but I was so happy about Katherine's return that it didn't matter. I sat there with a smile on my face until the bell rang and the class was dismissed.

I flung my bag over my shoulder and started for my next class, stopping in my tracks when I saw some random jock in the hall flirting with Violet. He was leaning his arm against her locker while she held her textbook with a smile on her face.

"Has anyone ever told you how hot you are?" The idiotic jock asked, leaning in a little closer to her.

"Yes, a few guys have." Violet laughed, tucking her hair behind her ear with a wink. "But none of them were as cute as you."

I shook my head and ignored the nausea that swam in my stomach. As much as I hate to admit it, Violet has grown up to be a very beautiful girl, and because of that she allowed herself to become the school slut.

Rumors circulated all over campus about how she helped a lot of guys lose their virginity. Whether it was true or not, I couldn't say, but the thought of anyone banging my sister made me want to vomit.

Groaning, I walked away from the sickening scene and made my way to algebra. There were no seats left in the back and I was forced to sit in the front. I opened my spiral notebook and doodled while the teacher rambled on about what supplies we needed.

The rest of the morning dragged by until it was time for lunch. I ran to the cafeteria and looked through the crowd until I saw Katherine waving at me by one of the soda machines.  I walked over to her with a smile and asked, "Have you been waiting long?"

"No.  I just got here."

"Good."  I shrugged and shifted on my leg.  "Wanna go sit outside?"

"Sure."

We went outside to one of the small metal tables and sat down.  I scratched my head as I tried to think of something to talk about.  "Umm...how's your mom?"

"She's good.  She's been unpacking boxes for the last few days, so that's kept her busy."

"That's cool."  I said, "Has she said anything about wanting to see my dad?"

"No!" Katherine answered a little too quickly.  "I-I mean, she hasn't had time to think of that yet."

"I bet he would love to see her.  You know, since he proposed to her and all."

Katherine's lips tightened and she looked down at the table.  "Look, Vincent..." She said, "I would rather your dad not know about us being back."

"Why?"

"Because...." She paused and pinched the bridge of her nose.  "I don't really want to talk about it.  Just promise me you won't tell him, okay."

"Okay."  I said, "But can I ask you one thing?"

"What?"

I sucked in a deep breath and asked, "Did my dad  hurt you?"

"I thought we talked about this seven years ago-"

"We did, and you said no."

"Well, there you go."

"But I don't get it."  I pressed, "If my dad never hurt you.....why are you so afraid of him?"

"I'm not afraid of him!"  She screamed, startling me and the table of students next to us.  She threw her hands over her face in embarrassment.  "I just don't want to see him again."

"Okay.  I won't tell him you're back."  I said, putting my hand on her shoulder.  "But for what it's worth, my dad has changed.  He's not the man that he was seven years ago, and he would never hurt anyone."

"That's great."  Katherine replied, unconvinced.  She stood from the table and picked up her backpack.  "I need to be going, but it was nice to talk with you."

She started to walk away and I grabbed her by the arm.  "Are you mad at me?" I asked, releasing her as soon as her eyes filled with worry.

"No. I just need to go."  She said, "I'll see you some other time, okay."

"Sure.  See you later."

I sighed as I watched her push her way through the crowd.  She was clearly still afraid of my dad, and I wasn't going to force her or Molly to see him. 

But he really has changed.

There were no more beatings.

There was no more verbal abuse.

He was now the father figure that I longed after for so many years.  He was kind and caring, and he taught me everything I knew about this life. 

He told me that he would take a bullet for me, and I believed him wholeheartedly.

That's why it saddened me that Katherine was not willing to give him another chance. She was still my best friend, but if it came down to choosing between her and my father, I would easily choose him.

That was my responsibility as his son.

****

AN: Hmmm....what do you think of Vincent's new view of his father? Do you think Victor has really changed?

Hope you enjoyed the latest chapter! Your reads, views, and comments mean the world to me! ❤️❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 3.6K 31
[𝐌𝐈𝐓 • 𝐁𝐎𝐎𝐊 𝟏] He managed to make a sane eighteen-year-old INSANE. ~ He was fascinated by her. And he wanted to make her fascinated about him...
544 108 17
Killing people is unforgivable, traumatic, and what karma could bring is unsettling. Xerine Delgado started killing people because of her unmeasurabl...
I Am No Angel By Anonymous

Mystery / Thriller

449 131 34
Three years in an abusive relationship, just for Julia to move in right next to a seral killer, Norman. Talk about bad luck. Especially when she star...
785 63 32
Tick-Tok, Tick-Tok I'm back. Tick-Tok. And your time is running out. You'll never be the same again. I will ruin you. People call me immortal, b...