Reckless Fearless Careless | ✓

By myreadingaddictions

"What are you doing here?" I ask but it comes out as a sob. I don't want him, or anyone for that matter, to s... More

Author's note
Character Aesthetics
1-Who Names Their Kid After A Gargoyle?
2-Sorry Sir, Girl Problems
3-It's Disney Time Bitches
4-Don't Call Me Maxi
5-Are You On Drugs Woman?
6-People Do Stupid Things Whilst Drunk
7-It's Not A Wall, It's A Person
8-Green Eyes Is Feisty
9-When Did You Meet That Idiot?
10-I Used My Friend's Green Crayon Without Telling Her
11-I Hope Max And Mason Have Planned My Funeral
12-I Painted Hugo's Room Hot Pink
13-The Big Bad Boy Needs A Nanny
14-I Completely Wrecked Mum's Car
15-Is He Half Robot Or Something?
16-Covered In Popcorn, Butter And Coke
17-Doing More Than Tutoring
18-Disney Is Life
19-The Tutor Code
20-You Only Won Because Of That Stupid Door
21-I'm Everyone's Type
22-Three Girls In One Night
23-A Royal Pain In The Arse
Character list
24-What The Hell Are You Doing In My Room?
25-You Think You Can Take Me?
26-Overly Thorough Directions
27-Dragged Through The Pits Of Hell
28-I Think I'm Going To Puke
29-Threatened By Random Year Eleven Girls
30-Did He Just Ask Me Out?
31-What's The Worst That Could Happen?
32-Why Am I Thinking Of Him?
33-Get Your Hands Off My Boyfriend
34-Cocky Bastards
35-I Love A Bad Girl
36-You're A Coward
37-Mystery Girl
38-I Dare You To Kiss Me
39-A Lingering Kiss
40-Walking Aimlessly In The Middle Of Nowhere
41-Sleeping With The Headmistress
42-Tearing Off Her Dress
43-How Much Did I Drink?
44-Zucchini Is A Made Up Vegetable
45-I Was His Everything
46-A Disapproving Look
47-I Just Care Too Damn Much
49-Save Her
50-A Toddler On Crack
51-Strawberry Ice Cream
52-Terrible In Bed
53-I Like You
Epilogue
Bonus #1: The Walls Are Soundproof
Bonus #2: Your Bedsheets Are Funny
New Book

48-He Just Cares Too Damn Much

11.9K 376 254
By myreadingaddictions

Play 'This Town' by Niall Horan for this chapter
~*~*~

Chapter 48: He Just Cares Too Damn Much

*Max's POV*

My heart was hammering in my rib cage as I sped down the motorway, holding my steering wheel in a vice grip. I could feel my heavy breaths as I checked my phone, waiting for the cars in front of me to move.

Luckily, she has location turned on on her phone so I know where she is. Well, not exactly. The last location available is from a little under twenty minutes ago but it's my best bet.

I tap my thigh impatiently, willing the cars in front of me to move.

Her voice flashes through my mind. Her scream echoes in my ears. I've never heard her sound so terrified but our phone call cut off before I could find out what happened.

I'm not an idiot. I think it's pretty obvious that she got into an accident but every fibre of my being is praying that that's not the case.

It can't be true.

By the time I reach the little blue dot on my map, the area is already littered with police cars and an ambulance and it feels like time is slowing down.

My mind can't comprehend what's happening around me. The loud sirens blaring in my ears barely affect me. All I can do is stare as I see her body lying unconscious on a stretcher that's being wheeled to the ambulance.

Finally snapping out of my trance at the sight of her bruised body, I run to her as fast as humanly possible, ignoring all the people around me, my sole focus on her.

"What happened?" I ask the paramedic closest to me who's getting into the back of the ambulance.

"Got hit by a lorry while riding her motorcycle," he says with a solemn shake of his head and I think I can feel the pounding of my heart in my throat.

"You know her?" He asks, a look of understanding in his calming brown eyes.

All I can do is nod, unable to move my mouth.

"Want to come with us?" He asks very softly.

Again, I nod, this time as a wordless thank you.

As soon as I'm inside we speed off in the direction of the hospital. I take this as my chance to finally take in her state fully and I wince as I do.

Her face is bruised and scratched as is the rest of her exposed flesh. There are rips in her clothing, blood leaking through the tares. Her body is still and lifeless as she lays there like a statue, her chest not even moving up and down.

They've fixed her up as best as they can in the cramped space and after a few minutes, I'm told I can go up to her which I do gladly.

I squeeze her small, cold hand in my much larger and warmer one and close my eyes shut, taking in shallow breaths as I ready myself to talk to her in a low tone, refusing to let any tears fall.

Stay strong, Max, for her.

"Ari," I start in a mere whisper. "Please be alright. We both know I'm shit with words but I need you to be okay. You're my everything, Ari, and I don't know what I'd ever do without you. You have to pull through and you have to stay strong for me."

I feel a single tear roll down my cheek but I pay it no attention as I continue to pour my heart out to her, not caring if she can't hear me because I won't be able to live myself if I never tell her the truth.

"We've been on a massive journey together, eh? I remember when we first met, you were so different from anyone I'd ever seen before. You're eyes lit up a room whenever you walked inside and your smile brightened even the dullest of my days.

I remember all of our sleepovers and my ridiculous jokes that made you laugh so melodically that the sound would soothe my ears even if I always pretended that you had a seal laugh," I reminisce with a light chuckle, my eyes foggy as I think back on our countless memories.

"Then that night happened, the summer before year eleven. We'd both gotten shit face drunk at some party and didn't know what we were doing — Ava and Mase had disappeared somewhere so it was just you and me."

The thought of Ava makes my tastebuds go sour in disgust. Mason and her had been dating since sometime around summer and he was head over heels for her, has been for as long as I can remember. They had been having some issues but Mase didn't care. He just cared too damn much about her to end it. That is until a couple weeks back when that bitch had the audacity to cheat on him and with River nonetheless — her supposed best friend's boyfriend.

Completely fucked up if you ask me. I haven't spoken to her since and I don't think I ever will again. She's not who I thought she was and Mason is torn up over the whole thing. He's not really eating or sleeping and has barely left his house in weeks. Let's just say that not everyone is who they appear to be.

I shake off my anger and instead focus my attention back on the stunning girl before me and continue with my one-sided heartfelt moment. "I already knew how I felt by that point but then, thanks to the alcohol, we lost our virginity to each other and I was certain.

But you didn't see me like that and said the whole night was a mistake and basically stopped going to parties after that. Of course I understand and I'm okay with that, Ari. I just want you to be happy even if that's not with me which is why I never punched James in the throat, or other specific areas, no matter how much I wanted to.

I've come to terms with the fact we won't end up together and that's okay as long as you end up with someone who loves and appreciates you as much as I do I'll be happy," I suck in a sharp breath as I go to caress her cheek with the pad of my thumb.

"You may not feel the same, Aurora, but I love you with all my heart and soul so I need you to make it through this, please. Not just for yourself but for me as well."

~*~*~

It felt like I had been sitting in this waiting room for days when in reality it had only been a few hours. The white walls and floors were enclosing me in this small room, trapping me as I waited desperately for any information.

After a few more minutes of nervously tapping my fingers on my thigh, the door slams open with a thud, causing everyone in the vicinity to look up. There stands a distressed looking Wyatt. His clothes look wrinkled, his hair is messy and there are obvious bags under his eyes — it looks like he was woken up mid-slumber.

He quickly strides over to the lady at the reception desk and speaks to her in a low tone that I can't quite decipher but I do chuckle inwardly to myself when I notice her checking him out despite his questionable state.

He lets out an annoyed groan at her words and then stomps over to the waiting area where I'm currently sitting. It's not until he sits down that he notices me and his eyes go wide. "How is she?" Wyatt asks from his white, plastic chair placed opposite to mine, worry crystal clear in his voice.

I shrug. "I don't know. They've not said anything but she looked pretty beaten up when they rushed her in here," I tell him, running my hands through my hair.

He fiddles with a loose thread on his shirt and doesn't meet my eyes as he speaks. "Do you — do you think she's going to make it?" Wyatt stutters and I think he's close to breaking down. I never realised how much he cares for her.

I shake my head slowly as I look at the speckled floor. "I don't know but I hope so. She has to be alright," I say, the last part more to myself than to him.

He breathes in deeply through his nose as he nods, shifting slightly in his chair. Neither of us say anything more because there's no need. We both just sit there in a pained silence, our sole focuses on Ari and only her.

My grip on the armrest tightens as time goes on, the worry I have for her only increasing. It has been too long. What's taking so long?

Wyatt doesn't look any better than me. He's shaking slightly in his chair and his breaths are short and ragged. I observe him for a while to try to distract my mind and after some time I notice a tiny wet spot on the floor and a single tear stain on his left cheek.

I don't think anyone has ever seen him cry before and at that moment I realise that maybe he does care about her as much as I do. And maybe he's the one that she can find happiness with.

~*~*~

Poor Max 😫😫😭!!! He's breaking my heart. Honestly, I love him so much so this really pulls on my heart strings.

How do you guys feel? Team Wyatt or Team Max?

Side note, this book is coming to a close soon, only around six chapters left (high key really sad ngl) so I was thinking about a possible spin off that could be read as a stand alone. I'm not sure if I'm going to write this or a different book I've got planned but if I did who would you want it to be about? Personally, I'm leaning towards Harper. But Eli and potentially Nathan, Brooke or Aria are contenders as well.

Also, For anyone who doesn't know how the schooling system in England works, year 11 is ages 15-16 and since it was the summer before year 11 started Ari and Max both would've been 15. Now they're both in year 13 which is their final year of school so ages 17-18. Hope that clears up any confusion you might have had :)

Well that's all for now, until next time, byeeeeee xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 23.7K 30
"I want to go back to my old ways." Ezra said in a monotone. It felt like he held no emotion. I stood dumbfounded not knowing what to do? "I tried yo...
515 43 16
"Marek, don't do this. Keep your captainship. I'll tell the truth about what happened and we'll both be out of the deal." "But-" "I don't know what y...
793 49 19
I could feel his whiskey eyes on me. Felt him stabbing me with his staring. "Can you stop?" I finally pointed it out after being too.. nervous? "St...
1.5M 34.8K 50
"I...I...was just....."I stuttered and he grabbed my jaws with his thumb and index finger,squeezing my cheeks. "Look at me when I'm talking to you."H...