To Be A Killer

Oleh GravityWillFall01

Book 3 in the in To Be A Runner series. If you have not read books 1 and 2, I seriously suggest you do that b... Lebih Banyak

Chapter 1: Break Your Heart
Chapter 2: Safety Dance
Chapter 3: Rescue Me
Chapter 4: Last Kiss
Chapter 5: Left To My Own Devices
Chapter 6: I Would
Chapter 7: Walk Of Life
Chapter 8: Young And Beautiful
Chapter 9: Career Day
Chapter 10: Courtesy Call
Chapter 11: Life's A Happy Song
Chapter 12: The Negative
Chapter 13: Believe
Chapter 14: Give Me Your Eyes
Chapter 15: I Don't Want To Get Over You
Chapter 16: The Man Who Sold The World
Chapter 17: Nicotine
Chapter 18: Stray Cat Strut
Chapter 19: Halo
Chapter 20: Ready To Start
Chapter 21: Autopilot
Chapter 22: Keeper Of Secrets
Chapter 23: Veronica
Chapter 24: Battle Scars
Chapter 25: Battle Born
Chapter 26: Carry Me Home
Chapter 27: Blackout
Chapter 28: I've Got A Theory
Chapter 29: Descent
Chapter 30: Full Disclosure
Chapter 31: Only Love Can Break Your Heart
Chapter 32: Sin In My Heart
Chapter 33: Your Cheatin' Heart
Chapter 34: I'm With Stupid
Chapter 35: The Moment I Knew
Chapter 36: Return To The Forbidden Planet
Chapter 37: Congratulations
Chapter 38: The Road Goes Ever On And On
Chapter 39: You're Not Sorry
Chapter 40: Brand New Start
Chapter 41: Light Up The Sky
Chapter 42: Blue
Chapter 43: Burn
Chapter 44: A Little Night Music
Chaptet 45: All The Right Moves
Chapter 46: Where's Your Head At
Chapter 47: Submission
Chapter 48: Scream And Shout
Chapter 49: Dynamite
Chapter 50: Upside Down
Chapter 51: Seventeen
Chapter 52: I Crush Everything
Chapter 53: Leave My Brain Alone
Chapter 54: If Today Was Your Last Day
Chapter 55: Old World
Chapter 56: Back In Your Head
Chapter 57: My Demons
Chapter 58: We're Needed
Chapter 59: Colors
Chapter 60: It's Raining Again
Chapter 61: Addicted To Love
Chapter 62: Interiors
Chapter 63: Insane In The Brain
Chapter 64: Human
Chapter 65: Love Is A Stranger
Chapter 66: Satisfied
Chapter 67: Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Chapter 68: Aquarius
Chapter 69: Shoot The Runner
Chapter 70: Comfortably Numb
Chapter 71: Reunion Tour
Chapter 72: Control
Chapter 73: Things I'll Never Say
Chapter 74: Sowing Season
Chapter 75: Lifeboat
Chapter 76: Listen All You People
Chapter 77: Bad Moon Rising (Part 1)
Chapter 79: Shiver Me Timbers
Chapter 80: There Is Power In A Union
Chapter 81: Milkman of Human Kindness
Chapter 82: I've Got A Dream
Chapter 83: Into The Light
Chapter 84: Natural Anthem
Chapter 85: Rollercoasters
Chapter 86: War Of Hearts
Chapter 87: Up
Chapter 88: Mombo No. 5
Chapter 89: Sacrifice
Book 4 Announcement

Chapter 78: Bad Moon Rising (Part 2)

100 17 1
Oleh GravityWillFall01

"It'll be fine. It's going to be fine. It's just a run."

My heart pounds at the sound of Sam's voice echoing in my head. He sounds so calm, but I know that something's wrong. I can feel it.

Then I hear her laugh.

"That's what he thinks, eh? Head towards that bridge, Five... He's right, you know. It is magic. She's right too. It is dangerous."

"Five, don't slow down. You have to get away from that bunker. It's gonna blow any minute!" Sam tells, and I feel someone grab my arm to pull me along.

"I can't have more people trying to save me!"  Paula yells.

"Remember, this isn't just for you."

That's Veronica...

I hear her laugh again.

"I bet you can outrun him, though. I just love to see you sweat."

Boom!

The ground shakes and I'm forced back into the present. I instantly bring up a hand to wipe at my bloody nose. Thankfully no one else sees it. No one else notices. They're too distracted by the explosion.

I look back, but I see no smoke, although it might just be because of how far under the ground that base was.

"The charges are detonated," Janine says. "A complete success!"

"Did we-did we just kill a whole lot of people from New Canton?" Sam strains out, and I feel my heart sink at the realization.

"Kill? No." She pauses for a moment. "Oh, yes. Right. The charges Four, Five and Six laid were dummies... duds. No, I had already placed charges at the perimeter, presuming that the layout was similar to that of our Abel lab. We've sealed about one fifth of the population of New Canton into that underground lab."

"To... starve to death."

"I have satisfied myself that the stores contain ample recourses for a population of up to 8,000 people, or Moonchild may try to dig them out, which will further compromise her ability to attack us."

"That's... actually quite brilliant."

"Yes, I... it seems to me there are worse things that bring imprisoned. One must learn to manage one's emotions."

"Um, right," Sam says. "Is this-I mean, it feels like there's a subtext to all of this."

"Well, knowing we didn't kill a bunch of people sort of puts my conscience at ease," I mumble with a sniffle. "Lord knows I've killed enough people for at least ten lifetimes."

"Five, darling, you seem to have quite a bit of smeared blood on your face," Amelia says, her brow raised. My eyes widen and I bring my hand up again to try to wipe it away, but by the look on Jody and Owen's faces I guess I only smeared it more.

"What happened?" Sam asks frantically, his voice suddenly raising an octave. "Did you-did you get hurt and we just not see it?"

"I'm fine. It's just a nose bleed. Nothing to freak out about."

"You weren't bleeding when we left the base," Owen says, and I shrug.

"It just happens sometimes... when I get stressed."

He blinks. "That was literally the worst lie I've ever heard... ever."

"I scratched myself."

"I take it back. What you just said right there was the worst lie I've ever heard."

"Runner Five, are you alright?" Janine asks, although her voice makes it sound more like a demand. "We have had occasions where you have fainted shortly after your nose started bleeding. We can't have that. Not today."

"We won't. I'm fine. I promise. And I know. We need to stay focused on the mission." I turn my head away from them, ending the discussion. "What's going on with the battle, Sam?"

"Um, well, it looks like it's almost over."

"For now," Janine says. "They'll return."

"Well, there's barely any of the New Canton army left to return. A lot of it's just... just bodies. That's uh, that's... I think it's New Canton Runner 112 on the far end... closest to my camera."

"I went on a supply run with him once," Jody says, her eyes downcast, and I feel my heart sink, the air changing to something darker, sadder. "You know that Santa jumper I gave you as a late Christmas gift, Five? He taught me that pattern."

"The only person to blame here is Moonchild," Amelia says, and to my surprise she actually looks a bit upset over what's just happened in the battle. There's almost... pain in her eyes. "She left our people no choice but to fight back, and I've seen everything I needed to see."

"You've confirmed your suspicions?" Janine asks, and the blonde woman nods.

"Yes, I'm certain. Runner Five, you told us that Moonchild suggested that the so called Zombie Repelling Device is much, much more than that."

I nod, a look of confusion on my face. "Yeah. She said something about heavenly bodies aligning or something. Like I said, I don't remember much."

"She's desperate to get her hands on it because it's the key to extending her mind control, perhaps world wide."

"O-oh," I stammer.

Oh.

"I see," Janine says lowly, then pauses for a brief moment. "I'll order for its immediate destruction."

"No! It's a key which turns two ways," She exclaims quickly. "It could extend her mind control, but it could also allow us to break that control forever. Do you understand what this means?"

"I do. Mr. Yao, with me. Send for Dr. Meyers. We'll collect the ZRD on route. Runners Four and Six, back to Abel. Runner Five, rendezvous with us at the oak. We must move quickly. Run!"

With a sharp click the signal is cut, and I look over at Owen and Jody. The two are panting and shivering, even as sweat drips down their faces.

"I guess this is where we part ways," I say.

"Yeah. Don't get yourself trapped in a settlement with a bunch of mind controlled people again," Owen says.

"We'll try," Amelia says before I can, but the blonde man just glares at her.

"I don't care about you. You can choke."

Jody giggles at that, and I have to hide my smirk as Amelia rolls her eyes. Our expressions become serious only a second later.

"See you later, Five... Hopefully."

I bite my tongue to keep from sarcastically saying how I love the faith she has in me. Instead I nod and give the two a final wave as I change directions and head towards the oak. Amelia follows a step behind me, and after a few moments of silence she finally speaks.

"I do think Janine wanted me to go with you, but I think it'd be best for me to go see how my people are faring. With the battle over I have nothing to worry about health wise, but I do need to meet up with them for appearances," Amelia says. She scoffs when I frown at her. "Don't worry. I plan on keeping my headset tuned into yours. Plus I think I might know what that heavenly body Moonchild was speaking of is."

"Do you now?" I say with a bit of snark in my voice.

"Yes, I am quite good at unveiling new and useful knowledge. I'll explain shortly."

Then she turns and runs off, and I'm here running towards the oak, all alone.

I don't know how to feel. It's mostly because I have no idea exactly what we're doing. I mean, sure, we won this round. Abel stands and the people within it get another day of life... but now what? I know nothing. Janine does, of course. She always thinks ahead. She thinks three steps ahead really...

The A.M.T.B. would have really liked her... Or at least, I think they would. The Torrencers might not have warmed up to her so well. She probably would've uprooted their operations within a few weeks of being at the base. It might not even take her that long.

Three years. It's been three years since I left that place. It's weird... it feels like a lifetime ago.

But then again, Amelia coming to be our leader at Abel Township seems like something that happened years ago. Funny how quickly things change.

I keep running, exhaustion nipping at my heels. I simply force myself to run faster. If I slow down, I won't want to speed back up. I might not even be able to. So I shake off the exhaustion, grab at my backpack strap and keep going. I pull at my sweaty shirt, and with disgust I realize that the cold keeps it sticking to my skin, making me feel that much colder. It's good though. It helps keep me awake.

It helps keep me alive.

I meet up with Sam and Janine at the oak trees. Sam's hair is sticking to his forehead with sweat, although his teeth are chattering. Janine's breathing is labored, but her stern eyes show no emotion, no tiredness.

"Where's Maxine?" I ask.

"Dr. Meyers will be meeting up with us shortly," Janine answers, starting to move once more. "Both of you, quickly. There's not a moment to lose."

Sam nods, but gives the dark skinned woman an odd look. "Yeah. Yeah. Uh, Janine, are you... doing okay? I mean, what with the whole-I mean, the Ministry said to take as much time as you need."

"I have taken all the time I need."

"And there's been no sign of... of-of Tom."

I almost see her flinch, but she covers with a laugh. The bitterness and pain woven within her voice doesn't go unnoticed.

"There wouldn't be. Not unless he wanted to be found. He was always good at Hide and Seek, even as a child. He was a far better operative than me."

"But I mean..." He looks at me, but I have no words to offer him, so he sighs almost sadly. "Janine, I know you don't like to talk about how things make you feel, but... if it were me, right? If-if It were my sister just turning up like that, and I'd abandoned her in a kind of classified circumstance, I think I would feel... sad, and hurt and guilty and ashamed and betrayed." He watches her face for any sort of expression. She gives none, so he continues.

"But uh, I also think I'd feel weirdly happy, like happy that someone from before, someone who remembered me from before was still alive. I mean, do you-do you feel any of those things?"

Janine stays silent for a long moment, until finally she shuts her eyes, pain flooding her features. It's a pain that makes my heart clench because I know that pain. I know what that guilty expression, full of shame and self hatred and desperation to believe that there was no other way.

"Do you feel any of those things?"

Would I feel any of those things?

Would Katelyn feel any of those things if she saw me again?

"Yes," She finally says. "I do. He was my younger brother. Far brighter than me. It was he who recruited me. I have no doubt, Mr. Yao, that I will see Tom again. He might appear mad, but he's lost none of his skills. He must've been monitoring our communications for months to set his trap. One day, I may... have to kill him, but for now, I have hope for us, and for the world.

"Keep moving. We must rendezvous with Dr. Meyers in a few moments. This is our mission, Five, Mr. Yao. The only thing is to focus on the mission, to do the right thing. That is all there is."

"Yeah," He mumbles, and I close my eyes for just a moment. "Yeah, I guess so."

"Runner Five, Dr. Meyers, we are about to entrust you with perhaps the most precious item in the world."

Maxine deadpans. "I don't think that the drama helps, Janine."

"I only wish to emphasize the importance of your mission. There is a building in London-the Comansys tower-"

"Ah, yeah," Sam interrupts, a small smile on his face as he rememberers. "The one shaped like two spiral ice cream cones on a lampshade."

I giggle as Janine sends him an annoyed side eye.

"Yes. That is where Chrysalis Gracier found the ZRD originally. That's where it must be returned. There is a transmitter there to broadcast a signal from the device to a network of orbiting satellites."

Sam blinks, tipping his head to the side in confusion. "To repel the zombies from... everywhere?"

"No. The repulsion of the zombies is merely a side effect of this device," She replies, glancing down at the ZRD. "This a a miniaturized version of the machine with which the doctor was treated at the Tavington Clinic. It can generate a signal which will forever close the back door in the human mind which Moonchild's mind control exploits."

"The satellites will align within the precise window of about half an hour," Amelia pipes in through my headset. "We know it'll happen in the next month, but not exactly when. But if you find Jack and Eugene, they'll give you that intel."

"How do they know?" Sam asks.

She laughs. "Ah. I may have convinced the Ministry to arrange their little tour. I may have concealed a transmitter in their van, which has been broadcasting useful intel to contacts of mine, and in exchange they have received some gifts which might not be what they seem. There's a USB stick in the base of a Henry Moore statue they've been given by a loyal fan."

He grimaces. "You... are the sneakiest person I've ever met."

"Thank you! We think that Moonchild was making one of her other strange allusions to satellites when she told you that heavenly bodies will align, Runner Five."

"Oh." My brows furrow together, and I nod. "Yes. Yes, that-that makes perfect sense, actually."

"Moonchild, of course, wants the ZRD very badly," Janine says. "I've suspected for a while that she had a mind control catalyst in mind, easier to administer and stronger than her plant extracts. That's why she allowed you to destroy her tequila factory stock."

"And why Nadia said the mind controlled New Canton people at Treetop Base were destroying the plants!" Sam gasps, and the blue eyed woman nods.

"She believed the ZRD will be in her hands momentarily, and therefore, she has no need for the plants. If she can get to the top of Comansys Tower at the right time and use the ZRD, she'll take complete control of every single person on this planet."

"And none of us want that," Amelia comments. "Well, good luck. Let me know if I can give you a hand, Runner Five. I don't want to be taken over more than anyone else, after all."

"You and your forces will staying here, Miss Spens. We must not allow Moonchild to suspect for even a moment that the ZRD is not here. We must defend Abel as if we still have it. We must not allow any zombies near enough to the perimeter to demonstrate that it is no longer here.

"And tell your soldiers maximum property damage for minimum casualties. I want a distraction, not a massacre of people who have become our enemies through no fault of their own. But it must be total war. The more desperate we seem to defend ourselves, the more likely it is a Moonchild will be convinced will set to have the device."

"Yes, that makes sense."

Janine then turns to us. "Runner Five, Dr. Meyers, we know that you both are permanently immune to Moonchild's mind control. Even if she tricks you into drinking her plant extract, it will have no effect. Therefore, we entrust the device to you."

I slowly take the ZRD from her, pursing my lips when it lets out a little beep.

"Yeah," Sam murmurs, eyeing the device. "The batteries have never been great."

"We'll find some way to stabilize it," Janine says before I can. "You, Mr. Yao, will remain a radio operator for Five and Dr. Meyers on their journey to London. Runner Five, Doctor, this is not going to be an easy journey. You will face privations and difficulties. Enemies will hunt you at every turn. If Moonchild discovers you have the device, she will not rest until she has taken it from you, dead or alive. You must protect this device from harm. You must take it to London. You must be at the Comansys Tower at the appointed time to send the signal. It is no exaggeration to say the entire future of humanity hinges on your success."

There's a long pause, and Sam laughs nervously. "So, no pressure then."

It eases the tension only slightly.

I grab at my backpack strap, then look at Maxine. "Are you ready?"

"Does it really matter if I am or not?"

"...right. Guess not."

"Be careful out there, guys," Sam says. He hugs Maxine. "You have to come back. What with what happened last time you left Abel's gates..."

"I know. I know." She pulls away and offers him a small smile, and then he turns to me.

He hugs me, and I hold him tightly, taking in a deep breath of his gray jacket. He smells slightly of sweat and old cologne. It's comforting and warm and I wish I could keep holding him like this forever.

And there's one beautiful second I believe I can...

Then I'm forced back into reality, even as I still have my arms wrapped around him.

"I mean it when I say be careful," He whispers. "I love you too much to lose you."

His voice shakes slightly as he says that, and I pray to God he doesn't feel the sharp intake of air my lungs suddenly do without my consent. I pray he doesn't feel how I tense up in his arms, or the way my cheek burns against his shoulder. I pull back and look at him, and my embarrassment is replaced with sadness and slight pity when I see the fear and desperation in his eyes.

"Don't worry. I plan on coming back," I say, surprisingly calmly. I start to pull away, but on a last minute thought-the thought this may be the last time I ever see Sam again-I change my mind and lean forward, placing a soft and quick kiss on his cheek.

"And I love you too," I murmur, not able to meet his eyes.

More than you could ever know.

I look back at Maxine, who holds slight surprise on her otherwise somber face.

"I'm ready. Let's go."

A/N: Here you go, guys! Hope you like this chapter. Also, no, that last part was not a confession, unfortunately. Just wanted to make that clear. Sam and Five are still oblivious as ever. That was just there because I wanted to say sorry for taking forever to update. Anyway, please be sure to vote and comment. Thank you and have a blessed day!

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

To Be A Survivor Oleh Gravity

Misteri / Thriller

14.5K 1.2K 74
Book #2 in the To Be A Runner series. If you haven't read book #1 I suggest you do that before continuing. Highest ranking #84 in Mystery/Thriller A...
To Be A Hero Oleh Gravity

Misteri / Thriller

5.7K 770 66
Book 4 in the To Be A Runner series. If you have not read books 1, 2 or 3, I seriously suggest you do before continuing in order to avoid confusion. ...
To Be A Leader Oleh Gravity

Misteri / Thriller

3.8K 462 64
Book 6 in the To Be A Runner series A missing general, hired assassins, a crazed Prime Minister, a voice in my head, and two sides on the verge of wa...
131 24 6
The world ended long ago, riddled with plague and zombies and destruction. But humanity survived, and humanity evolved. The Infection that helped bri...