Maybe Perfect

By emmaroseszalai

Sophie Campbell is a seventeen year old senior at Jackson High that also holds down a part-time job at the lo... More

1: Maybe Perfect
2: Maybe Perfect
3: Maybe Perfect
4: Maybe Perfect
5: Maybe Perfect
6: Maybe Perfect
7: Maybe Perfect
8: Maybe Perfect
9: Maybe Perfect
10: Maybe Perfect
12: Maybe Perfect
13: Maybe Perfect
14: Maybe Perfect
15: Maybe Perfect
16: Maybe Perfect
17: Maybe Perfect
18: Maybe Perfect
19: Maybe Perfect
20: Maybe Perfect
21: Maybe Perfect
22: Maybe Perfect
23: Maybe Perfect
24: Maybe Perfect
25: Maybe Perfect
26: Maybe Perfect
27: Maybe Perfect
28: Maybe Perfect
29: Maybe Perfect
30: Maybe Perfect
31: Maybe Perfect
32: Maybe Perfect
33: Maybe Perfect
34: Maybe Perfect
35: Maybe Perfect
36: Maybe Perfect
37: Maybe Perfect
38: Maybe Perfect
39: Maybe Perfect
40: Maybe Perfect
41: Maybe Perfect
42: Maybe Perfect
43: Maybe Perfect
44: Maybe Perfect
Epilogue: Maybe Perfect

11: Maybe Perfect

310K 6K 2.3K
By emmaroseszalai

Chapter 11

“Mom, I’m home!” Jett exclaimed, tossing his shoes off on the carpet beside the door before motioning for me to do the same.

I took off my jacket as well; hanging it on the coat hanger beside Jett’s and followed him into a room. When I walked around the corner behind Jett I realized that we were in the living room because there were two long couches and a recliner located in front of a television. Also, hooked up to the television were an X-box and two boys fighting for a controller which I’m guessing were Jett’s two younger brothers.

“Hello honey how was your day at school?” a middle aged woman asked, hugging Jett as he blushed slightly. Since I was his friend, I smirked at his obvious discomfort.

“Mom, not now.” Jett muttered, shooting an apology glance my way at which I just shook my head and smiled.

Jett’s mom turned towards me and smiled, which I nervously returned. I wasn’t used to meeting new people that often since the only friends I’ve had for so long stopped at Piper and Blake, along with Jay and a couple of others I knew from Piper’s dance class, I didn’t need to worry about impressing new people. Now that I was meeting Jett’s family for the first time I sort of wanted to make a good impression.

“Hello dear, I’m Jett’s mother but you can just call me Sandra, it’s nice to meet you.” she greeted, shaking my hand.

I smiled at her and shook her hand. “Hi, I’m Sophie.” I replied, still slightly nervous.

When his mom released my hand and stepped back slightly, Jett stepped in. “Well, we have a project for English to start so we’ll just be up in my room.” he announced before dragging me towards a set of stairs.

“Leave the door open honey!” his mom exclaimed and Jett halted his steps, looking embarrassed.

He turned towards his mother with a slightly red face. “Mom, please shut up. Sophie and I are friends nothing more.” Jett said before pulling me up the stairs and out of the company of his family.

Surprisingly, as we went up the stairs, his brothers were still fighting, not having stopped when Jett or I walked into the room.

Jett stopped outside a door that I assumed was his room and turned to face me shaking his head in embarrassment. “I’m sorry about them.” he said, trying to apologize for his family’s behaviour, at which I shook my head in response.

“Jett, its fine. Everybody has a family and yours is normal, trust me.” I replied, giving him an encouraging smile.

Jett nodded in response and visibly relaxed as he turned to his room. “Well, welcome to my paradise.” he said, as he opened the door to his room ad motioned me in.

I stepped into the room and laughed. It was so clean! There were no clothes on the floor and by the looks of the open closet on the right side of the room, his clothes were neatly organized. There was a bed in the middle of the room that was neatly made and a television set with his own personal Xbox hooked up. Off to the corner of the room was where all his music stuff was; there was his acoustic guitar as well as an electric guitar leaning against a desk. On top of the desk was a closed laptop, a bunch of cd racks and a couple of different pairs of headphones. The walls of the room were painted a darker blue color with a white ceiling and he had lyrics from songs painted onto his walls in gold and silver writing.

I turned back to look at Jett with a teasing smile. “Did your mom clean up the mess in here while we were at school?” I asked.

Jett smiled sheepishly and rubbed the back of his neck, which made me chuckle a bit. “Kind of, but in my defense it was a total mess in here so if you would rather she didn’t then next time we could work in a filth room.” he replied.

I shook my head in amusement but smiled. “Nah, it’s cool I was just teasing, but seriously I love your room. It’s so… well, you.” I said, running my hand over one of the painted lyrics on his wall.

Jet walked towards his bed, throwing his bag on the ground and collapsed backwards onto the bed. “Yea, when we moved my parents said I could do whatever I wanted with my room so this was the result. After I met Carter he helped me with getting the lyrics on the walls but I love it so it was worth all the work.”

I nodded and took the spinning chair from in front of his desk and sat on it, straddling it backwards. I leaned forwards on the chair to relax. “So, are we going to start working on this project or just sit and admire your room?” I asked.

Jett sighed and reached over to get a notebook and pen out of his backpack. “We can work, but remind me what the point of this project is again.” he answered, uncapping the pen and probably doodling on the paper.

“To get to know each other further than a first impression; I think we’re supposed to compare the person who we thought the other was to the person they really are in some way.” I explained, not really getting the point of the project either.

Jett nodded. “Okay, well since we have a month to work on the project, I guess we can just get the basic things out of the way today and then later we can focus on the more important things.” he suggested and I nodded in agreement.

“Okay, so how are we going to do this? Are you going to just ask your questions and then I’ll ask the same ones or…?” I asked, trailing off the question.

Jett shook his head. “Nope, we are going to play a game.” he replied and I raised an eyebrow.

“A game?”

Jett nodded. “Yea, I’ll ask a question and then you’ll give an answer. After you give your answer I’ll answer the same question for your benefit then it’s your turn to ask a question and so on. We get what we give and nothing less.” he explained.

I nodded in understanding and grabbed my notebook and a pen from my own bag before throwing it onto the floor. “Okay, you can go first since it was your idea.” I told him, preparing myself to answer the questions.

“Okay, first question; what’s your full name?” he asked.

“Sophie Carmella Campbell.” I replied, waiting for him to answer before asking my question.

“Jett Keaton Ryder.” he replied and I wrote it down at the top of the page.

“Okay, birthday?” I asked.

“July 21st.” he replied and I was confused. He was 18 already but his birthday wasn’t for another 6 or 7 months. I must have had a weird expression on my face because Jett started on chuckle. “Okay, by the look on your face you’re clearly confused so let me explain. Well, I’m 18 because when I was young, I didn’t start school when I was supposed to; I was really shy and really didn’t want to play with the other kids and I also didn’t want to be away from home so my mom held me off of school for a year.” he explained.

I nodded in understanding before answering my own question. “February 28th.”

A small smile appeared on Jett’s face. “So in a couple of weeks it’s your big day… you excited yet?” he asked.

I shook my head. “Not really, usually on my birthdays I just hang out with Piper and Blake all day and that’s basically it… no big party or celebration or anything.” I reply.

Jett nodded. “Yea, on my eighteenth I just went out with the guys and had fun, nothing really special. I’m not really the party kind of guy.” he said.

“Yea, that’s the same with me, I’m not a big fan of parties at all.” I stated.

Jett smiled at me before writing down what I assumed was my birthday. “Okay, my turn. Any siblings?” he asked.

I nodded in response, thinking of my brother that was currently away for his second year of university. “Yeah, I have an older brother Max. He’s turning twenty later this year and he’s currently away at university studying biology.” I answered.

Jett nodded in response, writing down my reply before answering his own question. “Okay, well you know I have three siblings; two younger brothers and an older sister. So, Josh is ten years old and Cameron is fourteen while Victoria, or Tori, is twenty three and she’s currently living with her boyfriend an hour away while working as an accountant.” he said, as I quickly wrote down the key points of his answer in point form.

Once I finished writing I looked up at Jett and asked, “Any hobbies, besides the obvious?” I asked, gesturing to the music supplies situated behind me.

Jett chuckled and nodded. “Yea, well the obvious being I like to play guitar and sing, I also like writing music occasionally, listening to music, doodling, jogging, hanging out with my friends and sometimes I like to read.” he answered, listing his hobbies slowly so I had time to write them out.

After I finished writing them out I thought about my own hobbies and voiced them. “Well, I actually kind of enjoy writing little romance stories if I have any spare time, listening to music, working at Kaffeine, hanging out with my friends, reading and jogging from time to time.” I replied, realizing that Jett and I had some similar hobbies.

Jett smiled. “Now off the record, were you ever on the track team?”

I nodded shyly. “In elementary and middle school I was and also freshman year but after that I got my job, starting focusing a lot of attention on school so I didn’t really have time for it anymore. It was always fun though.” I replied.

Jett nodded. “Oh cool, but we should go jogging together some time when the weather warms up.” he suggested nervously and I chuckled quietly.

“Yea, that’d be nice. Anyways, I do believe that it’s your turn mister airplane.” I said sarcastically.

Jett mocked glared at me. “Oh very funny strawberry head.” he replied teasingly, gesturing to the colour of my hair, at which my response was sticking me tongue out. “Anyways, my question to you would have to be; what’s your favourite colour?”

“Purple, what about you?”

“Dark blue.” he replied easily, gesturing around his room to the colour of his walls.

“Okay, what are some things you can’t stand?” I asked easily, starting to slowly spin around in circles on the chair I was sitting in.

“Well first of all I suggest you stop spinning on my chair because you’ll make both yourself and me dizzy.” he voiced, bringing his hand out to stop my chair spinning.

I pouted. “You ruin all my fun.” I exclaimed sadly.

Jett just chuckled and moved over to the top of his giant bed. “Well how about you get off the chair and relax at the end of the bed so I don’t have the urge to throw up from seeing you spin.” he suggested and moved some of his things so I had room to lie down across the bottom of the bed.

I sighed loudly and dramatically but sluggishly flopped down on the end of the bed. “Better?” I asked him, turning my head in his direction with my notebook and pen lying in front of my face.

Jett gave me an exaggerated smile. “Jolly good job.” he answered in a fake British which forced us both to erupt in laughter. After the laughter subsided, Jett finally answered my question. “I can’t stand preppy people, like the cheerleaders at our school – no, I can’t stand them. Oh, and basically all the other jerks at our school get on my last nerve as well. Also, I cannot stand physics or functions; when I took them last semester… let’s just say I wasn’t the happiest student in the class, in fact, I hated both classes with a burning passion.” he exclaimed and I giggled.

“Remind me not to hang out with the cheerleaders or do my calculus homework around you then.” I replied childishly and sticking my tongue out in his direction.

Jett rolled his eyes dramatically. “Okay, I’ll make sure to do that.” he said. “So what about you; what can’t you stand?”

“Well I have this strong dislike of horror movies and they just don’t sit well with me, like, at all. Oh and I can’t stand people who waste their lives away on drugs and alcohol, like seriously, they think it’s all cool as teenagers and then when they’re older you hear them saying ‘oh I have no job, no money, please help!’, no you wasted your life when you were younger and chose to walk down the wrong path. Also, I can’t stand the taste of hotdogs.” I voiced, smiling sheepishly at the end because I know that I’m one of the only people that are alive that don’t like the taste of hotdogs.

Jett gasped dramatically. “What kind of monster are you? Who hates hotdogs?” he asked.

“Is that your question?” I asked teasingly and he just laughed and shook his head in response. I shrugged. “I don’t know, ever since I was little I couldn’t stand the taste of them and I’ve never grown into the taste. To me, hotdogs still taste disgusting.”

Jett just put his hands up in a mock surrender and rolled his eyes. “To each their own.” he said and I nodded in agreement. “So, parents names?”

When he asked that question my eyes bulged and my heart started beating fast. Piper was there for me constantly when my parents died in a car crash and so was my brother. When I met Blake I told him about my parents eventually but it’s a hard subject for me to talk about. I knew that Jett and I were getting closer and eventually he would have to know that my parents were up in heaven and not down here with me but I really didn’t want to talk about it right now.

“Pass.” I muttered, hoping Jett would get the point and move on.

Jett looked at me strangely for a second but I think when he noticed my face he realized that it was something I really didn’t want to talk about at the moment so, as a smirk grew on his face, he asked another question. “Are you ticklish?”

“NO!” I basically screamed, which probably reinforced the fact that I was indeed lying. Of course I was ticklish, most people were, and I didn’t need Jett knowing that.

Jett just raised an eyebrow, obviously not convinced by my horrible crack at lying. “Oh really?” he asked in disbelief.

I just nodded in response.

“So, if I was to say, tickle you, there wouldn’t be a reaction right?” Jett asked, inching closer to me on the bed.

I obviously couldn’t move anywhere because I was already lying at the foot of the bed so I just laid still and put on my best poker face. “Nope, wouldn’t feel a thing.” I replied with a straight face.

Jett obviously didn’t believe me at all because that second he lunged at my stomach with his hands and started tickling me. Obviously my poker face was immediately broken because as his fingers touched my stomach through my top, I erupted in a massive burst of giggles. As I was squirming and laughing, trying to pry Jett’s fingers off of me, who was laughing at me by the way, I tried to get words out.

“Hahaha… stop… seriously…. hahaa.. Jett!... stop… hahahaha…. you win!” I gasped out but he didn’t stop.

I tried moving and rolling on his bed to get away from him but by this time he was already half on top of me and I probably didn’t have the strength needed to push him off me. Just when I thought I was going to die of laughter, I rolled slightly to my right and fell right off the end of the bed, bringing Jett with me.

The tickling stopped as we toppled onto the floor, Jett landing half on top of me. When we both realized what had happened was actually reality we both burst out laughing.

We kept laughing and laughing, just lying on the floor. We also didn’t hear the person approaching Jett’s bedroom because suddenly, there was a knock on his bedroom door.

*********************************************************

Oooooh… who do you think is at the door?

So that’s it for this chapter and it’s basically just showing you a glimpse at Jett’s family and the start of a wonderful partnership and friendship :) Hope you enjoyed it.

Next Update: Maybe Sunday, but by Monday night for sure!

Thanks for all the support and just keep doing what you’re doing because I appreciate it a lot! xx

Vote/Comment/Fan/Share

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

192 4 10
A collection of short stories. Braces - Sophie's braces are gone and so is her chance to keep her crush a secret. A Touch of Weird - Always moving...
327K 12K 80
Order of Series- book 1- Loathing Logan Book 2- Still In Love With You Book 3- Loving Your Imperfections Book 4- The Best Friend's Deal (...
14.1K 775 12
Holly Halliday only had two important things in her life. One was her art and the other was her best friend Gabriel Colton. Starting school for thei...
52.1K 1K 44
All the way throughout elementary school it was always Bella, Leo, Liz, Flynn, Nate, Elliot and Amelia. They were all long time friends.. In the sop...