Dare You To Move

By peterprkerr

Friends with benefits is supposed to be just that. Friends with the benefits of fooling around and not having... More

Cast
Prologue
Chapter 1 - SOS Text
Chapter 3 - Tongue Tied
Chapter 4 - Confused Hangovers
Chapter 5 - Polaroids
Chapter 6 - Lego House
Chapter 7 - Frozen Bearings
Chapter 8 - Just Friends
Chapter 9 - Selfish
Chapter 10 - 5 words
Chapter 11 - How's This For Honesty
Chapter 12 - Wanted
Chapter 13 - It's Jenny
Chapter 14 - Oxygen
Chapter 15 - Lifeline
Chapter 16 - Heartbreak
Chapter 17 - Photograph
Epilogue

Chapter 2 - Snowfall

1.7K 36 2
By peterprkerr

The bar seems to be unusually packed for a Sunday night. Groups of friends were scattered about the tables, a few couples sat at the bar. Singles made their way around to each other, mingling and getting to know each other. Conversations all muffled together into a pleasant cluster while Elli and Collyn sat at a table, adding to the noise of the bar.

"So, what'd you do last night?" Collyn asks, sipping his pop.

"Finished some work for one of the schools, read a bit, watched a movie with Parker." Elli takes a sip of her Tequila Oasis.

This was a usual routine for Collyn and Elli. Collyn would show up at the apartment and pick up Elli, taking her to wherever Parker would be playing his set. Parker always showed up with plenty of time to spare so that left Elli time to get ready on her own, to just show up with Collyn. And they always showed up a little early to make sure they didn't miss any of his set. While they waited, they always caught up even if they'd just seen each other the day before. The routine is something neither of them would trade.  

A sly smirk comes to Collyn's face. "Yeah? Thought Parker had a date?"

"He did." Elli says, her eyes narrowing. "She was kind of bitchy to put it simply."

Collyn nods. "Your words or Parker's?"

"Parker's too nice to call her a bitch so, I'll say it." Elli chuckles.

"Sure, mate." Collyn takes another drink of his pop and Elli furrows her brows but before she can ask, Collyn is back to talking. "What'd you have to do for the schools? Thought you weren't working with schools anymore."

Elli sighs, running a hand through her hair. "Their sports' photographer fell through last minute. Photographing a bunch of teenagers might be annoying and a royal pain in the ass but hey, it's not their fault their photographer bailed."

"Good on you." Collyn sips his drink slightly, a smile etched across his face.

"How 'bout you? What'd you do?"

"Working on a commission piece. Some guy in Orland wants a sculpture of a lion for his new house." Collyn explains with a quick brow raise.

"That's...odd." Elli giggles.

"Especially because he wants it life-sized and it's going in his house."

"You at least having fun? It's something different."

Collyn nods eagerly. "Yeah, yeah of course. It's fun to do a life-sized animal rather than people. Always like a challenge."

"Good! I'm glad!"

The conversation between the two of them dies off as they see movement from the corner of their eyes. They turn to the small stage a few feet in front of them where Parker is making his way out with his guitar. He's dressed in a plain black shirt and a red jacket with dark navy jeans. His hair is in its purposefully messy style as it almost always is and he's sporting a nervous smile. Months of playing at the same place a few days a week and he still gets nervous. He gets nervous until he takes a seat on the stool and his eyes fall on Elli, front and center with her camera around her neck. She gives him a thumbs up and Parker's nerves float away as if they were never there to begin with.

Parker sighs before introducing himself like he's done a hundred times before. The people in the bar stop their conversations and give Parker their attention. All eyes on him while he speaks. He can hear his heart in his chest, beating against his ribs but he loves the way it sounds. He's in love with the way his heart pounds with anxiety and excitement while everyone waits for him to start. It's thrilling.

Elli pulls her camera to her eye as Parker starts his set. Acoustic covers are his thing. It doesn't matter if the original artist has an acoustic version or not, Parker will rework it to fit his own musical style and make it acoustic. The genre doesn't matter, either and that's the part that blows Elli's mind. Parker's turned deathcore metal into something acoustic and it worked, and worked well. It wasn't something he had set out to do but he wanted a challenge and a challenge it was, but it'd paid off and it was amazing. He was amazing. But, that's just Parker.

After about an hour, Parker wraps to allow the next regular to take the stage. He walks off with a pep in his step and a smile bright enough to illuminate the entire room. There's a flutter in Elli's stomach at the sight, something that happens everytime she sees him like that but he's her best friend and she loves seeing him so happy and proud. The flutter is the only right way to feel in that moment as she takes the picture.

"Why do you always take pictures?" Collyn asks and he stands up, grabbing his coat from the back of the chair.

"What do you mean?" Elli follows his lead.

"Same thing every time, different clothes, I guess but other than that, it's the same."

"Christmas is the same every year but I still photograph that." Elli argues.

"That's different and you know it." There's a taunt in Collyn's voice and Elli knows exactly what he's getting at.

"Fine, I take pictures at Navy Pier ever winter. It looks the same every time. It's what I do." Elli's eyes narrow as she shrugs on her coat.

"Yeah, alright." Collyn chuckles above the sound of him zipping up his coat.

He makes a good point and observation. Parker does play at other places sometimes but for the most part, it's this bar and it's the same thing. Different songs, different clothes, sometimes his hair is done if he had something to do but it's all pretty much the same. Elli probably has near identical pictures between her few flash drives so Collyn makes a good point. Why does she bother always photographing Parker's sets when they're almost the same?

Parker comes from around back and meets his friends at their table, the same smile decorating his face. "Aye." He greets.

"Hey." Elli and Collyn say simultaneously.

"Was, uh, was I alright?" Parker asks, pulling his lips between his teeth.

"You were amazing, just like every other time." Elli says, her smile meeting his.

Parker beams but looks to Collyn for confirmation. "What she said." Collyn nods in agreement.

"Thanks." Parker lets out a breath and runs his free hand through his hair. "Well, Marco's having a party if you guys wanted to go."

"Marco would have a party on a Sunday." Elli jokes. "But yeah, I'm down." Elli says, her and Parker looking to Collyn.

"Fuck it, not like I'm gonna go home and actually work. Follow you guys there?"

"Did you wanna drop your car off?" Parker offers as he nods to the door and the three start making their way out.

"Nah," Collyn shakes his head. "I'll have a beer at most, you sure you don't wanna drop yours off?"

Parker shakes his head. "Elli's turn to drink." A chuckle falls from his lips as Elli gives the boy finger guns and a wink.

"I'm gonna get drunk!" Elli cheers. "And regret it in the morning!"

Parker and Collyn burst out laughing while Parker wraps an arm around her shoulders. "You're a loser."

"Yes, that's why I'm getting drunk tonight." Elli quips, scrunching her face at him.

It's been a tradition since they'd moved together. If they were ever going out, they always just took turns on who would drink and who would be the designated driver. It was easier for one of them to drink rather than both, especially after Collyn had moved out and left the two of them to themselves. Neither really minded either. It was actually Parker's idea.

They'd gone out drinking because the guy Elli had been seeing cheated on her and she was devasted. Parker had an early class so he didn't plan to drink much anyway but Elli had plenty for the both of them. She paid for it that night and slept on the bathroom floor but Parker made sure she was okay. He didn't sleep much, really. He camped out outside the bathroom just to be sure she would be okay and he was prepared with aspirin and plenty of water for whenever she could keep it down. And he was there when she could hold herself awake and keep the contents of her stomach down long enough to cry about the guy that cheated on her. Parker was there to tell her he was terrible and she deserved better. Of course, Elli didn't remember any of that by the next morning, but Parker did. He meant his words and he didn't regret staying up with her. He was just happy he opted to stay sober. So, it was then that Parker offered the idea of only one of them drinking, just in case the drunk one needed the sober one for anything.

Collyn goes to his car while Elli and Parker head to Parker's. He rests his guitar in the back while Elli takes her place in the passenger seat, the seat perfectly adjusted to the way she likes it. Parker gets in and starts the car, immediately cranking the heat. Bursts of cold air hit the to of them as they scramble for the vents, closing and moving them.

"That wasn't smart." Parker remarks, his teeth chattering.

"No, it wasn't." Elli agrees, her arms crossing over herself, legs squeezing together to try and keep warm until the car heats up.

"Here." Parker reaches to the backseat and tugs the blanket over the center console, giving it to Elli.

She wraps it around herself and gives Parker a grateful smile. "Thanks, Parker. I'm glad I convinced you to keep a blanket in your car." Elli grabs her seatbelt and buckles over the blanket, pulling her legs up to her chest.

"Yeah, yeah, always got the best advice." Parker mocks with the role of his eyes.

"Glad to hear you admit it." Elli chortles.

"Be quiet otherwise I won't make you food anymore." Parker remarks as the car starts to heat up and he opens his vents and Elli's.

Elli gasps making Parker laugh and looks to her, brown eyes wide and innocent. "That's just mean!"

"Pssshhh," Parker starts. "All's fair, darling."

"Fine, I pick music." Elli struggles for her phone in her pocket before being able to pull up Spotify.

"Have fun." Parker says, not minding that she wanted to pick the music.

Elli turns on their normal playlist that contains bits of everything while Parker starts driving to Marco's. The two fall silent while music plays. Elli's eyes are glued to the window, the blanket still wrapped around her, keeping her perfectly warm. The blanket smells like Parker and Elli can't help but find it funny. Of course, it smells like him but the blanket sits in his car all the time. It should smell more like his car than him but it doesn't and it makes her feel like she's home, not watching the houses pass by. There's a nice comfort with it, really.

The city streets turn into a highway and the highway takes them to Oak Park, city fading and turning into more residential appearance. The drive isn't long, just under half an hour but on the way Elli finds her mind wondering. She likes going to parties especially with her two best friends. They always have fun together and there's never a dull moment but lately, whenever they go, there seems to be a weight in Elli's chest.

At home, it's her and Parker and they can do whatever they want. That's the fun part of of being friends with benefits and living together, they do what they want, when they want without getting caught but at a party, they can't do that. There are more moments than Elli wants to admit where she wishes she could pull Parker into her just like she'd do at home. But, she can't and it's a good thing because a part of her isn't sure if she wants to pull him into her because that's just what they do when they're alone or if it's more.

The house starts to come into view, pulling Elli from her thoughts. Elli turns the music down as Parker pulls the car against the curb, putting it in park. Snow starts to fall and decorate the windshield, the flakes large and falling fast. It's the kind of snow that covers fields in the minutes. Parker unlocks the car and the two of them exit. Elli looks to the sky as the snow falls and she smiles. She smiles and her heart soars, the cold not even remotely bothersome and flakes fall onto her hair and coat.

Elli likes snow, not really the getting around in snow aspect, but the falling of it. The aftermath of how pretty and pure everything looks. Before people and city animals walk through it, it's perfect. Undisturbed and elegant across the small lawns and sidewalks. It's like a lace blanket, beautiful and perfect, soft and graceful.

"Hey." Parker whispers as he stands next to her.

"It's snowing." Elli says in astonishment as if she hasn't lived in the city most of her life.

Parker looks down to her and watches as her eyes are bright with the snow. The streetlamps keep her illuminated and he has to keep watching her watch the snowfall because Elli has this look that makes Parker's stomach twist with lightning bugs. She's so beautiful and she's in a skirt, likely cold but the snow distracts her because it's one of her favorite things in the world.

Parker looks down to her and watches as her eyes are bright with the snow. The streetlamps keep them illuminated and he has to keep watching her watch the snowfall because she has look that makes Parker's stomach twist with lightning bugs. Elli is so beautiful and she's in a skirt, likely cold but the snow distracts her because it's one of her favorite things in the world.

It's kind of funny, really. Parker always hated the snow. He hated it with every fiber of his being. It's wet and it turns to slush. It gets in shoes and boots. He's forced to layer and layer his clothing if he doesn't want to freeze his ass off. The roads are usually terrible and if it's not the roads, it's the people using them. Sidewalks are slick with ice, ice and hard snowfall prevent reliable power and heat. Parker just always found the snow hard to deal with and too much effort, which makes it ironic he'd move to Chicago, a city that's covered in snow four to five months a year. But, the first time Elli ever photographed him was in the snow and a part of him seemed to hate the snow a little less.

It was their first year at the Art Institute. Elli and Parker had only been friends a few months at the time but that didn't prevent Elli from asking if she could photograph him for one of her classes. Parker was nervous at first, no one had ever asked before and he didn't want to mess up her project and he fucking hated the snow but he agreed because Elli's big blue eyes were looking at him with hope and hesitance and trust. She had trusted him then and Parker couldn't say no even though he wished he had when he found out Elli wanted to photograph him at Navy Pier in the snow, in the cold. But, his mind changed when she showed up.

A small part of Elli's hair was braided and clipped to the side while she sported a bright purple coat and black boots with jeans. Her camera dangled from her neck and she wore the most beautiful and joyful smile Parker had ever laid eyes on. Elli was radiate in that moment to meet him, the snow crunching beneath her feet and the cold not bothering her even a little bit. Parker's chest burned with a warmth he'd never felt before and his cheeks flushed red when she approached him and for the first time, he stuttered around he because he didn't know what to say. Elli had left him breathless and speechless just by the look of happiness on her face and she didn't even know.

Elli directed Parker on how she needed him to pose and where and Parker listened without question. But, Elli did have to keep telling him to not look at the camera for every picture but every piece of Parker wanted to keep looking back to her because that smile was permanently etched across her face and it only grew as she started photographing him. And, it grew bigger and Elli had gasped when the snow started to fall.

Normally, Parker would have been so angry but Elli, Elli looked to the sky as if the heavens had opened above her and were showering her in everything she loved. Parker pulled out his own phone that day and took a picture of her. Today, that picture sits in Parker's room, framed and alongside a few others he's kept of family and other friends. But it was on that fateful day, Parker started falling in with loving the snow.

"You guys ready?" Collyn grabs their attention as he approaches them.

"Oh, yeah." Elli looks to him, cheeks softly tinted red.

"Lead the way." Parker gestures a hand out and he follows Elli up the driveway, Collyn walking beside him. Collyn smirks at Parker, making Parker glare. "What?" He asks through gritted teeth.

"I didn't say anything." Collyn shrugs, shoving his hands into his pocket. "Enjoying the snow, Elli?" Collyn asks as Elli keeps looking to the sky.

"Of course!" Elli chimes her voice gets the glare to immediately vanish from Parker's face. He loves how in love with the snow she is.

The three of them enter the party, loud electronic music bounces off the walls. There are people scattered everywhere, drinking, laughing, mingling. Some are playing beer pong, others are dancing with each other. It might be a Sunday but that's not stopping anyone at this party. They walk further into the party, Parker being greeted by a few people on the way. Once they find a spot that's not too crowded, Parker is the one to offer to get drinks.

Parker comes back in no time with drinks, Marco right beside him. Marco was a classmate of Parker's back in college. They had a music history class together and have managed to keep in touch, mostly for whenever Marco has a party but it counts.

"Elli." Marco greets with a charming smile.

"Hey." Elli says as Parker hands her the red cup.

"Sup, Collyn?" Marco nods at Collyn.

"Sup?" Collyn responds while Parker hands him a cup.

"Any of you up for a game of beer pong?" Marco doesn't waste time in asking.

"Not drinking." Parker says. "Driving."

"You don't have to drink." Marco chuckles.

"I'll drink for you, anyway." Elli offers, gaining a smirk from Marco. "Unless Collyn wants to play."

Parker's face drops slightly with the suggestion and Collyn doesn't skip a beat. "You two play. I'm shit at it." Collyn nods to Parker before taking a drink of his beer.

"Come on, then." Marco cheers, a hand coming to Parker's shoulder.

"We're gonna kick their asses, ya know?" Elli says as they're lead to the table where they'll be playing.

"Aways do." Parker huffs with a wide smile.

Elli and Parker take their place while Collyn stands to the side, Elli handing him her camera and asking him to take a few pictures while they play. The four players arrange their cups in a triangle, readying themselves. Each team is given a ping pong ball to see who would go first. Parker makes his shot while Marco's partner misses, allowing Parker and Elli to start the game.

Elli takes her first shot, making it in a cup in the back and off to the left. Marco shakes his head as he removes the cup before Parker takes his shot, his going off to the right but landing in the third row of cups. Parker and Elli share the same cocky grin watching Marco and his partner take a drink of their beers. It's their turn and Marco is the only one to make it, allowing Elli to take a single drink of her beer.

The game goes on and laughter starts to disrupt any form of perfect shots. There are jokes being thrown around to get either team to mess up and miss. Cups get rearranged when someone calls for it and there's joked grumbling but all in good fun. It gets down to the last cup on Marco's side and Parker allows Elli to take the shot. She makes it and water splashes up, declaring Elli and Parker the winners of the game. They cheer and beam with joy all while Collyn is standing a bit behind them watching his friends interact.

Collyn isn't blind like they are. He knows they have something going on between them and it's all in the way they interact. They're friends first and they'll always be friends first but something has changed between them over the years they've been friends and Collyn knows it. Parker is softer around Elli than he was and Elli smiles more around Parker. There's something and the way they just mix makes sense. They get each other better than anyone else ever could. Collyn and Parker grew up together but Elli still understands him far better than Collyn ever could. There's something there and the way they hug over a game of beer pong makes Collyn pull out his phone instead of Elli's camera and take a picture of them. He knows they'll both want that moment documented eventually.

"How'd the pictures turn out?" Elli asks as her and Parker let other people take their place to play.

"Good." Collyn says, taking her camera from around his neck and sliding it around hers. "Two of you make a good team."

Parker shakes his head. "Only because she's not drunk yet."

"Hey!" Elli scolds. "I'm good even when I'm drunk."

"Yeah, you keep thinking that." Parker pats her head. Elli glares at him and all Parker can do is laugh. "You're not scary."

"I'm terrifying!" Elli says, pretending to be offended.

Collyn snorts. "I'm sorry but a caterpillar is more intimating than you are."

"Hey," Elli's expression goes serious. "They turn into butterflies and they can't be trusted."

Parker rubs his hands over his face, shaking his head as he laughs. Elli drops the serious expression the second she hears his laugh. The most adoring smile takes over and the fluttering in her chest starts again.

"Are you drunk already?" Parker finally asks.

"I wish." Elli scoffs and she really wishes she were drunk because the fluttery is starting to scare her. "Which," Elli holds up a finger. "I'm gonna get another drink so I'll catch up with you guys in a bit." Elli holds her empty cup, nodding before she turns on her heels and walks to the kitchen. Parker watches her and he shakes his head. Elli isn't the only one who can't seem to stop the fluttery.

The party continues over the next few hours and since then, Elli, Parker, and Collyn have met up in between, only to separate again. At the moment, Elli is standing by the staircase conversating with a guy Parker and Collyn aren't familiar with. They aren't really watching her. They're keeping an eye on her just to make sure she doesn't black out or anything crazy but they aren't really "watching" her per se. Well, at least they weren't but now Parker's eyes are almost glued to her.

Elli just looks really beautiful tonight. The skirt she's wearing is black and pleated, flowing with every step she takes and it compliments her legs. Her boots give her a little extra height and accent her outfit perfectly. A jean jacket covers her shirt that's black with a white geometric pattern and her hair is off to one side, her makeup done. Elli looked like she was trying to impress which she usually does. She likes her jeans and sweats but she likes her skirts and dresses, too, even when it's freezing. But, there's something about tonight that's just got Parker's attention glued to her. Maybe it's just one of those days, a day where Parker just wants to be with Elli like they are at their place or maybe it's the way Elli is smiling at the guy talking to her.

"Mate." Collyn waves a hand in front of Parker's face.

"Huh?" Parker snaps out of his thoughts, looking to Collyn.

"You alright?" Collyn glances between Parker and Elli. "Look like you're gonna rip the dude's head off."

"Nah," Parker shakes his head, taking a drink of his water. "Just thinking."

Collyn shrugs his shoulders. "If you don't want her talking to him, that's on you."

Parker's brows furrow as he looks to Collyn with confusion. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Collyn sighs and pulls out his phone. He goes to the photo app, pulling up the picture of them from earlier. They're both really happy and it sends a wave of joy overParker now, looking at the picture. Elli's a little shorter than him but her boots make up for the height difference a little. His arms wrap all the way around her and a smile splits Parker's face. Elli is beaming just as much, her arms wrapped up his back and eyes bright and innocent. Parker would be lying if he didn't really like the picture and he'd be lying if he denied he knew why Collyn took the picture. He knows.

"Send that to me." Parker says, taking another drink as he wished it weren't water.

Parker's eyes are back on Elli and the guy she's talking to and Parker could break it up. He could. All he'd have to say is that he has to work in the morning and it's getting late. Elli's had quite a bit to drink and it's time to go home. She won't argue and fight, she'll be okay with it because that's how the two are when it comes to leaving parties. When they're ready, they're ready together. But, that's not Parker. Elli is flirting with this guy and all Parker can do is watch from a distance because she's his friend and their friendship will always come first.

Collyn, though, he sees it. He sees the look on Parker's face and he knows it's killing Parker not to walk over there. Elli doens't usually go off on her own, not like this anyway. She goes on dates and brings guys home, just like Parker but there's something different here and Collyn see it written across Parker's face.

"I'm gonna ask you something, but tell me the truth, ya?" Collyn asks and Parker nods, preparing himself for whatever Collyn had to ask this time. "You still like her, don't you?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

447K 15.6K 30
โYou mean, both of us can get benefit out of this thing?โž "That's literally the reason people call it FWB," he sighs, tired with your innocent rambli...
5 3 10
This all story about Online Relationship as a friends, as Special Someone with strangers
19.3K 1K 17
Sarawat and Tine added "benefits" in their friendship. Will this "friends with benefits " thing turn out to be Love? Or it will be a regret for life...
42K 1.6K 40
Summary: This story is about an incredible unique autistic girl and her two equally incredible best friends. Will they ever get out of the friend zon...