Crumbling Cakes

By AnnalisNolan

(Wattpad Picks - Up and Coming List - 06.07.2018) There are three things Dalia is sure of about her life. Sh... More

Author's Note
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V
Part VI
Part VII
Part VIII
Part IX
Part X
Part XI
Part XII
Part XIII
Part XIV
Part XV
Part XVI
Part XVII
Part XVIII
Part XIX (19)
Part XX (20)
Part XXI (21)
Part XXII (22) *POV Bonus*
Part XXIV (24) *POV Bonus*
Part XXV (25) *POV Bonus*
Part XXVI (26)
Part XXVII (27)
Part XXVIII (28)
Part XXIV (29)
Part XXX (30) *POV Bonus*
Part XXXI (31) *POV Bonus*
Part XXXII (32) *POV Bonus*
Part XXXIII (33)
Part XXXIV (34) *POV Bonus*
Part XXXV (35)
Part XXXVI (36) *POV Bonus*
Part XXXVII (37) *POV Bonus*
Part XXXVIII (38) *POV Bonus*
Part XXXIX (39)
Part XL (40)
Part XLI (41)
Part XLII (42)
Part XLIII (43)
Epilogue

Part XXIII (23) *POV Bonus*

13.9K 676 187
By AnnalisNolan

A/N: Another chapter, another bonus! To my stateside readers, Happy Thanksgiving! To everyone else, Happy Thursday! Let me know what ya think so far if you have feelings to share and Enjoy!

------------------------------------------

"Leaving somewhere?" My head sank into my shoulders, a silly attempt to disappear in place. Dalia, one day you really must learn how to sneak away successfully from Ronaldo. I used to be good at this, now I couldn't walk out of my room without him knowing it before I even passed through the door.

That's because you're in tune to each other, you know exactly when he's moving about too...

Yea about that... let's not dwell about our one mind just yet. The shmelding—that would be smoosh and meld—can wait for another day. I straightened out in preparation for his curiosity and what I could possibly tell him. Turning around with my teeth showing in what I hoped was remotely close to a smile, I faced my interrogator. I was pretty sure I looked constipated...

"Oh, nowhere exactly..." My head jerked slightly to make up for my "smile", somehow I don't think it helped. "Just a bit of grocery shopping." Not entirely untruthful.

"You just went grocery shopping earlier this week." He eyed me, eyes squinting in disbelief. Crap, right he was. But how was I to tell him that I binge ate all my soups since my little confession about the past? Or that there was a very formidable shop owner that had worse glaring eyes than him when I didn't make an appearance from time to time. On second thought, I rather confess about the soups. Lei would take a day and a half to explain.

"Fine you got me, I'm going to get more cups if you must now." I sagged against the wall, the surface bracing my shoulder and head; my world now tilted on an angle. Sebastian looked amused and exasperated.

"Those soups," He shook his head loosely. "Didn't you have a mountain of them?"

"I know, it's a possible addiction, but it's been a stressful week and no I did not have a mountain of them." My affronted airs were a ploy to keep him distracted. "I'll break away from them. Eventually."

See Sebastian did not particularly hold the same penchant for my instant soup pals. Why? Because they're filled with sodium and don't hold the nutritional value you need. At least that's what he said to me when he watched me haul my "mountain" into the kitchen, where I proceeded to hide them. I also suspected, to him they were a reminder that I was sleeping in a storage unit about a fortnight ago. It was sweet, his concern, but I couldn't exactly cut cold turkey. That was just ridiculous.

The quick cups were the one thing that always stayed the same no matter where I was at a given point in my life. So when things get tough, they are there for me to drown in. Maybe one day I'll explain it to him. Right now I needed to scoot out the door because I was already late and Lei would make sure I knew it.

"Alright, give me a sec. I'll go with you. Otherwise, you'll topple over with the stockpile you're bound to come back with." He turned away to go grab his keys. "Moderation is key to weaning you off of them anyway."

Crap. He couldn't come with. Lei would eat me alive! Nothing says dirty liar like showing up with the man you said you weren't dating then dropping the bomb that you lived together. But, you know, you're not together... "Wait! It's really fine you don't need to go out of your way to-"

"It's no trouble, Shorts." He said over his shoulder before freezing, rotating just enough to get a good look at me. "Unless that's not where you're really going." Bollocks. How does he do this? How does he work his way in in a matter of seconds and basically extract information I had vowed to keep to myself? He wasn't even trying that's what made this whole thing absurd.

Groaning, I slapped a hand to my forehead, the resounding thwack offering some therapeutic reprieve. Just come clean. "Okay, okay." I pried an eye open to look at him. I imagined I had a stellar future as a pirate impersonator at this rate. "I am going, but I need to warn you."

"About?" My anxiety must have piqued his curiosity because it seemed I had Ronaldo's full attention. A shame that.

Sighing, I accepted my fate. "About a woman who will interrogate you to an inch of your life." This garnered his interest. "The place I would get my supplies from is this market on the corner of 17th. It had been a bit of a walk but the neighborhood is great and well it's an incredible place with great prices." I was rambling, I knew that.

"Okay." He responded.

"So this place is owned by the Zhou's, and they're just so great. They're like my surrogate grandparents. Really, really great." I admitted. Enough with the greats already. Will you be impersonating your own parrot too? "You weren't the only one trying to help, Ronaldo. I've turned them down many more times than I had you." I hoped this would appease him as to why I wouldn't turn to him for help, and alleviate any blame he may conjure up when it came to them.

"I'm following."

"Lei..." I hesitated. "She is a hell of a force, that one. And she got it in her head that we were, you know..." my hand flopped in the air, completely unhelpful. "Even though I assured her it was not that." I watched the corner of his mouth fighting to keep from lifting up. It seemed that I would never be able to say the words dating when referencing this. "You coming along is basically going to brand me a liar, which I think I've accepted, but be prepared for some looks. And you like to play with fire a little too much."

And there went his self-control. The grin a threat all on its own. Shit. "I promise, I'll be on my best behavior."

Yea I bet, Ronaldo. I just bet. This was now my life. On the bright side, at least I'd make it on time to the Zhou's with Ronnie's car, gotta look at the positives.

***

We parked and started the several block trek to the Zhou's—the joys of city parking y'all—and my anxiety started to build. My fingers tapping away at my leg with each step caused my elbow to keep jostling into Ronaldo's arm. He didn't say anything but kept side-eyeing me.

Here's the thing, had this situation been even remotely close to what that sweet, frightening little old lady thought it was, I wouldn't be anywhere near this nervous. I could handle giving her some serious truths. I couldn't handle having to convince her that I had been telling the truth, still am, and this was not what it appeared to be. I have this nervous tick sometimes, one that works against me.

The more nervous I am about something—especially if it's embarrassing—the more I smile, giggle, and it looks like I'm hiding something. I'm not, my face is just an asshole spouting falsehoods. It's a habit I've had incredible difficulty breaking. Right now, on the other hand, I was so far into my own head fearing that Lei was going to walk away from this with the wrong impression that I was barely checking my surroundings for creepy dudes with grabby hands. Not like they would try anything with the Great Wall of Sebastian walking next to me, but I didn't want them to see him either.

There were too many plates that I was trying to spin all at the same time, frantically hoping that not a single one would topple over. Hiding the misfits from Sebastian, hiding Sebastian from Bathilda, hiding the misfits from Bathilda, masking my plans with the misfits from Sebastian AND Bathilda, keeping Lei from getting her hopes crushed about my real relationship with Sebastian, hiding my feelings for Sebastian—wait, what? Scratch that last one. There are no feelings, nope. Not a single one. Liar.

Oh, the webs we weave when we try to convince ourselves along with the rest of the world...

"You know, if you get any more jittery, you'll probably bounce the rest of the way from the vibrations alone." Sebastian teased lightly, resting his arm around my shoulder, hand bent at the wrist and floating precariously close to my boob. Naughty thoughts made themselves my companions as I watched his hand's proximity to my lady friend.

He was amused. Of course, he was. He was about to meet people that meant the world to me. Another slice of the Dalia-secrets pie. He would be delighted to meet Lei. And Lei will be delighted to waggle her eyebrows at him every chance she got. He was also going to have a little fun because that's who we were now. Two people playing with each other for the hell of it. We were so screwed...

"Not helping, Ronnie. Not helping at all," I muttered. You can't hide chemistry, that I was aware of. And it was occurring to me that Strawberry Fields and I had the chemistry of sulfur, charcoal and potassium nitrate. Mixed with a dash of metal salts for that extra awe. Dazzling, colorful, bright, and the capability to blow your arms off if handled carelessly. Sebastian and I can't afford to light up the nightly skies because I have plenty of cumulonimbus clouds just waiting to rain on this parade. And Lei, with all the subtlety of a blaring gong, would run at us with a blow torch ready to light the fuse...

We pick our battles, and we pick our joys. Only I rarely get the option to choose, today is no different. Because that cloud never goes away, and today two of my secrets are fusing together. The bigger the secret, the harder it is to hide.

Stepping in front of Zhou's Market, I took a deep breath. Staring at the oval design etched into their glass door. Sebastian stood just behind me, a hand resting against my upper back. "It'll be fine, Pints. What could possibly go wrong?"

Everything. Everything could go wrong. Starting with the who that could discover you both. The door jingled as we stepped in. Kun was sitting behind the counter, reading his newspaper just like every other Sunday.

"Sweet Dalia, lovely to see you."

"Morning Kun." I tried to even out my voice.

"What new bit of information do you have to share?" He glanced at me quickly. Just a flick up and down, not enough to register my nerves, or the man walking in behind me. Sebastian's presence both soothing and nerve-wracking.

"Uh, well the human nose can remember up to 50,000 different scents." I offered weakly, looking back at Ronaldo—who was watching us in fascination. Yup fifty thousand, isn't that a whopping number. And all mine seemed to remember was the holiday bundle currently standing so close to me I could almost feel the outline of his torso through both of our jackets. God, I wanted a cookie right now. A nutmeg cinnamon one...

"Very interesting." Kun looked up to smile at me, the fuzzy caterpillars jumping up slightly in surprise. "Ah, I see you brought a friend!" His newspaper landed on the counter, completely forgotten by its owner. We were the new circus sideshow in this shop. Somewhere down near the other registers, a couple of the Zhou's employees were eyeing us curiously. More accurately, Ronaldo behind me. I felt like a zoo animal.

I chuckled nervously. "Yea, um..." I grabbed Ronnie's arm and pulled him before me like a shield, peeking around his torso. "Kun, this is my boss-friend-Ronnie. Er, Sebastian!" I shook my head. Jesus, this was only Kun. He was harmless. Like a delicate butterfly. I was so, so screwed with Lei.

Sebastian pulled me from behind him, dragging me along his side as he stepped forward to Kun—his hand stretched out for a shake. There would be no hiding on his watch. "Sebastian Ronaldo McLoughlin, pleasure to meet you. Short Stack likes to call me Ronnie." He dazzled Kun with a grin, who seemed in awe. Incredible, that beast worked on everybody...

Kun grabbed Sebastian's hand and pumped it vigorously. Excitement etched on every aged line gracing his wonderful face. "Sebastian! What a pleasure! We've heard so much about you."

"Really." His grin widened and his eyes seemed to flash mischievously in my direction. I turned into my better impression of a turtle—my head burrowing as deeply into my shoulders as possible. Lei has such a big mouth...

"Well-I-you know we've had such a curvy road, heh-heh," My chuckle was fighting it's way past my throat. Somebody pull the fire alarm, I needed an immediate evacuation! Oh god... Sebastian pulled me tighter into his side. His lips brushing against my ear.

"You need to relax," He whispered like the devil. Shivers ran down my spine and careened toward the tips of my fingers. The shock causing me to jump out of his grip, stumbling to the side and practically colliding with a display tree of single packed chips.

"Ha, ha. I'm sure I didn't share that much." I swallowed, adjusting some of the bags I knocked off blindly. "Um, so Kun, where's Lei?" The question ended on a high, squeaky note.

"Just in the back. I'll go get her." He smiled at me slyly. Oh dear god, he knew what was about to go down. Kun was no stranger to Lei's whims. He's been married to her for like 60 years, I was in deep doo-doo. "Excuse me, Sebastian, Dalia." He got up and headed toward the back after bowing his head in both of our directions.

I turned on Sebastian, finger up in warning. "You promised you'd behave! You promised!" He held his hands up in defense, lips pulling in to contain his laughter.

"I am behaving. You're too tense, and jittery—if that's somehow possible. I'm simply trying to help you calm down."

Ha, calm down. Doesn't he know his pawing and intimate whispers do anything but calm me? Well no, loony bird, he doesn't because he doesn't know you fancy him! I straightened out, shaking out my limbs to get rid of the restless energy. "Okay, you're right. I'm on edge. Just keep the careless whispers out of my ear, got it? I can't think when you're doing that."

"You can't, huh?" Sebastian stepped forward, eyes lighting up into swirling molten chocolate whiskey drops. Aw shit. I had not meant to say that. He didn't need any more ammunition, his well of knowledge was already stocked up to the brim.

"I-uh-," I stumbled through my words. That was until I was saved, or further imprisoned, by my next torturer.

"Dalia! My sweet girl, what a pleasure for you to finally arrive." She grinned at me.

"H-hi, Lei." My greeting came out on a wispy breath. "H-how are you?"

"Wonderful. Simply wonderful." She stood before us, eyeing Sebastian like a lion watching a gazelle. "And you've brought your friend." She met my eyes with that calculating glint. I swallowed. "Lei Zhou. So glad to finally meet you. Please call me Lei." She grabbed Ronnie's hand in both of hers. Harboring it the way a mother would greet her daughter's boyfriend for the first time over the holidays. I could practically see the hearts shaping in her iris'.

"Sebastian McLoughlin. Lia's boss, good friend," He brought her hands up and kissed the back of one. Lei's cheeks took on a lovely shade of blush rose. Oh, he played dirty. "And most recently, roommate."

A pitiful sound made itself at home at the back of my throat. Finished. I was finished. He wasn't going to behave. Not for a single second. This was going to be so painful. I was going to murder him with that hand crank egg beater he kept in the kitchen...

"Roommate, you say." Lei's gaze bore into my cheek. Nope, don't turn around. Just keep staring daggers at Ronnie who looked positively gleeful. "That is news we have not yet heard. Lia, you did not mention that you have moved in with Sebastian."

No, I hadn't. I didn't miss the way she called me Lia...meaning she picked up on Sebastian calling me Lia. Meaning things were rapidly careening over the cliff. Tapping into my reserve of courage, I faced Lei. Looking at her apologetically and hoping the message was clear. I'm sorry I didn't tell you. It's not a big deal. THIS ISN'T WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE!

"It's fairly recent, I swear." I tried to assure her.

"About three weeks actually." The traitor piped in. Has it been almost three ? He'd let go of Lei and came back to my side, draping his arm back around my shoulders, resting the hand right where my arm met my torso. It felt nice, and it felt like a betrayal. Lei locked onto the hold, and because I was living with hell incarnate, he started to gently rub my arm. Another black mark on my report card...

"Three weeks?" She asked sweetly. Oh shit... "Lia, you had come in last Sunday. Not even a word."

"No?" I squeaked. "Must have slipped my mind."

Lei approached me, I swear on everything I owned, in that second I was terrified. More terrified than seeing grabby hands and his pantaloons gang. They at least were predictable. Lei would never let me live this down. "Such a big thing to forget, Sweet Lia." Her hands came up to cup my face. "No matter," She cooed, pinching my right cheek with force. Well played old lady, well played. I fought the wince. "You are looking very healthy, my dear. He is treating you well I see."

Where the hell was Bathilda with her kidnapping schemes when I needed her... I glared at Lei, don't you dare suggest it. Don't you dare do it.

Lei stepped away from me and looped her arm around Sebastian's free one. Ronaldo sandwiched between us like the strawberry filling of a macaroon, effectively pulling us along in a line. "What brings you to join us, Sebastian?"

"Lia needed to pick some things up and I offered to help. It's getting cold out and I didn't want her to get sick. Or hurt." He answered all nobly. Lei lapped it up.

"Such a wise young man. I often tell her she needs to take care of herself better. Never hesitate to ask for help. To wear a stronger jacket." She looked over at me. "I was very happy to see her in that one."

"I'm glad she accepted it." He agreed. "Couldn't let her walk around without one either."

"That was you then?" Lei asked, pleased as punch. I rubbed at my forehead. He was winning her over with little effort and they were behaving like I wasn't even here. Not entirely horrible because I wasn't getting any glares. But soon they would be planning how many vegetables I should be eating with each meal, and what kind of boys I should be dating. Merde.

"Guilty." He patted her hand, the one still wrapped around his bicep. Leaving me to drift away to the side. My shoulder growing cold from its abandonment. Look at them, two chummy peas in a pod. I didn't know if I should be grateful that Lei liked him or appalled that she conspired with him for my own benefit.

"Sweet and caring. You are responsible for her meals, yes?"

"I've come up with a meal plan or two." He beamed down at my enemy. Actually, at this rate, they were both my enemies. Neither one of them was playing by the rules I had laid out for them. I shouldn't be surprised, Sebastian loved to torture me in front of those who saw us as an us. Bridal shop, ring any bells? And Lei? Well, maybe I should have just accepted those meals she had offered during the tundra weeks. I.e, the days with little to no food.

This is the price I paid for trying to be an independent hermit. Let it be known, these burns will require professional attention. I tried to direct us toward my soup aisles, our pace was slow since Lei was fawning all over Ronaldo.

Lei nodded at him. "I am very pleased to hear that. We didn't have as much luck when trying to offer our assistance. I'm glad she accepts help from somewhere." I groaned.

"I try my best." He winked at me and I could only stare. What was the appropriate reaction to this entire situation? I expected her looks but not his co-conspiring. It was a rookie mistake and now I was stuck boiling in the pot like an unsuspecting toad. "Although Lia still wants to eat these from time to time."

Lei frowned at the aisle we were at and I grabbed several cups off the shelf. Glaring at both of them, daring them to try and oppose me. That's right, neither one of you was on the nice list for this Christmas.

"Tsk." Lei shook her head. "You can break the habit?"

"I assure you I'm working on it." He affirmed.

"I'm right here! You know I can hear you right?"

"Of course we know, sweetie." She waved me away, turning back to her new best friend. Unbelievable. "I'm simply happy she has you to look after her. She couldn't do better, believe me. How long now, have you been together? Lia has been too shy to say."

My jaw dropped, my hold on the three cups loosening. She...she just went in for it. Just like that. No warning. Skipped right over the looks and blatantly asked. If I thought Sebastian would come in as my savior, then I might as well have played my last dollar in the upcoming lotto. Because my odds to win that was far greater than beating out that glint from his eye. Do it and there will be revenge Ronaldo. I promise.

He watched me for a moment before smirking, and that one gesture signified my doom. Triple merde on a stick with frosting and a cherry glaze. Sebastian pressed his palm to his chest, looking forlorn at Lei. Sighing dramatically. Blake's influence was stamped all over this little performance. "Unfortunately we're only friends. I've asked but Lia simply won't hear of it. Turned me down." Sweet Lord baby Jesus. Was it too dramatic to ask for my section of the aisle to tip over and crush me beneath its weight so I could avoid this train wreck?

"Lia," Lei tsked in my direction once more. I see she had no problem adopting Sebastian's pet name... "Turn down such a sweet man?" Oh, he's something alright. Sweet was not one of them at the moment. Satan had a more accurate ring to it...

"Sebastian," I warned through gritted teeth as soon as I got my shit together. "Stop teasing." You promised me, Ronnie. You promised and now I would have to seek revenge.

"My apologies, Lei. I really am only teasing her. It honestly hasn't come up and it's unkind of me to jest." He appealed to her sensitive side. She had gripped his arm reassuringly.

But Lei looked disappointed. Crestfallen. My worst nightmares come to life. Sebastian you turd. I stared at him as if to say see now look what you've done. "Sebastian, can you please go grab me a basket?"

Looking properly remorseful. He nodded. "Sure can, Shorts. Excuse me." He turned around, heading for the corner. As soon as he was out of sight, I lept to Mother McPushy's side.

"Real subtle, Lei. Truly." I hissed.

"What?" Lei fluffed up her hair. "It was an honest question. There was no need to chastise the man for playing along." She defended him. "I can take a tease every once in a while. He at least knows how to humor an old lady."

"I have to live with him, Lei. I don't want him thinking that I've got ideas of working my way into his bed! Like I'm trying to corner him." That would be horrifying. She waved me away, again. "Stop doing that! I swear, it's almost as if you two were cut from the same cloth."

"Stop being so dramatic. He wouldn't mind you marrying him. That much I can assure you." She pointed over her shoulder. "Being cut from that cloth is not an insult, dear. It's a compliment. You never said just how handsome he is."

"He's covered in tattoos" I shot back, mistakenly thinking this would make a difference. Ya know, cultural and generational difference. Silly me. "Two bright sleeves."

"Dalia, don't be so rude. Who doesn't in this day? I didn't peg you to be a superficial—what's that word," she rotated her hand, index finger extended, in a tight circle, searching for this elusive word. Then her fingers snapped. "Snob, that's it. A superficial snob." She chastised me.

"Th-that's not what I meant! I love the tattoos. They're beautiful! My favorite. I just-"

"Thought you could change my opinion?" She asked slyly. This is why I didn't go into battle with either of them. "You told me he helps those in need, I now find out that he's helping you. Giving you shelter, food, a safe place to be. Care. And you're surprised that I want you to be with him?"

"That's not it. He and I aren't a thing, Lei. We can never be anything. It's complicated and it involves that which you know I can't share with you."

"That?" She practically growled. Lei didn't approve of me not spilling the beans on Bathilda...I mean to her Bathilda doesn't even have a name. She's just a situation that caused me to show up here frozen and half starved every week.

"Yes, that. It's for your own good, so stop with the stink eye." I needed to mollify her. "I know that he's wonderful. Believe me, I do. But that's precisely why it can't go beyond roommates, Lei. Or employee and boss. I'm sorry. I know you have your heart set on my happily ever after." I grabbed some ramen packs and clutched them against my chest along with the cups. "But I have to find that happy ending in a different way and it can't be with him." I picked at the corner of the pack. My heart wilting in its cage, deprived of joy. Sebastian wasn't my ending, he was someone else's. The sooner I accepted that, the better off I'll be.

"Foolish." Lei pulled me into a hug, my loot protesting the pressure between us. She rubbed my back and I allowed myself to bury my face into her neck, seeking comfort. I've never had a mother. At least not one that deserved the title. Bathilda hated affection, at least from me. I imagined she gave so much of her touches and caresses to strange men that giving any more of herself to anyone else, was repulsive to her. Even if that someone was her daughter. So this moment was needed more than I could ever admit. "You are being foolish, my darling girl. But one must make their own mistakes to learn."

Her were words not malicious, but a mere warning. Only I had no idea just how much they would haunt me later on. And that I would meet them again, and again, and again.

"Got the basket." Sebastian interrupted. Lei set me free, brushing my hair behind my ear. It was a futile attempt. The short wavy locks refused to cooperate. Just like everything else in my life.

"You will learn." She whispered with a smile. "You will learn, and because of that, you will appreciate." The urge to cry became overpowering, but I held on to control. I was going to miss this woman terribly when I left. She would receive all of my postcards. Every week I'd send her one. Even if it killed me.

Sebastian stood behind her quietly, aware to wait this out. Always so perceptive. "Give it here, Ronnie." Stacking my sick obsession into a lopsided tower in one arm, I held my hand out and he hung the handle over my palm.

I pulled it in just in time for my crooked tower to fall into the basket. I went about throwing some more flavors in when a hand tugged on the handle. A hand of the manly variety.

"I'm sorry, Shorts." He looked at me earnestly. "Forgive me?"

I held onto my basket. Eyeing him. Does he deserve forgiveness? Of course. I can handle his taunts. On better days, I enjoy them. If I was honest, I craved them. Our games were addicting in how giddy they made me feel. But every trick deserves retaliation, and I vowed revenge.

"I'll forgive you, when you're truly sorry." I let go and he cradled my loot. Eyes narrowed in rightful suspicion.

"I am truly sorry."

I shared a sinister smile. "Not yet you're not. But you will be."

"Lia..." He, dare I say, pleaded? "That's not fair." I eased past him, my hip brushing along his. Somebody forgot that I can play too.

"Fair is for law-abiding citizens, prospect. And sheriff Lia had just received a new warrant." Lei was watching us, enthralled, near the end of the aisle. I stepped close enough to him to inhale my favorite scent in the whole world. I needed to make this into a damn candle. And not the gross kind that craft stores lobbed at you worldwide. "Sorry, Beets. But I believe you have a bounty on your head." I murmured. Then sashayed my ass down the aisle and around the corner. Laughing maniacally like Ed Nigma.

Sebastian stayed put. He didn't follow me and that was for the best. Otherwise, he'd have witnessed my embarrassing chortle induced coughing fit before the ice cream freezer. At least these dry heaves were from laughs and not malnutrition... I eyed the flavors, biting my lip as bursts of giggles started and stalled. I knew how I'd make him pay, and little Sebastian would be not too pleased.

Ben & Jerry's called to my soul. I grabbed a Cherry Garcia, because classics were always welcome. Then snagged a Glampfire Trail Mix because sometimes you needed to try something new. It also sounded artery-clogging delicious and I would never apologize for my sweet tooth. What can I say, the sweets have grown on me...

All was well until I stumbled upon Lei and Sebastian, whispering—bonding—at the register farthest from Kun. Who was back to perusing his newspaper, he had impressive focus.

I approached them slowly, my fingers painfully numb from the frigid treats. "What are you two whispering about?" I asked as soon as I was close enough. Call me crazy but I had an inkling they were conspiring again. These two could never be left alone together unsupervised, rookie mistake number two. I looked at them both, bouncing from one to the other. Willing a thought bubble to appear above their heads with all the details from their parley.

Sebastian took pity on me, extending the basket for the items dragging my hands into frostbite territory. Or I should say welcoming them to frostnip, which is the stage right before frostbite. There, that's a thing you know now, you're welcome world.

He blinded me with one of his dimple beams. "Walkways and paths, Pints." Did I believe him? I don't know, but it certainly sounded like the truth. "Find everything you need?"

I stepped forward. Freeing my hands of their frozen oppressors, and answered him slowly. "Yes." I was still skeptical. So sue me. Sebastian's face relaxed, softened, like he'd reached a conclusion to a word problem I hadn't been privy to. If I didn't know better there was almost a sense of longing to it.

Harder than before I urged a thought bubble to appear over his head and spill all of his secrets. What made Sebastian so serene and hopeful?

It was a question that the universe yanked the answer to away in taunting fashion. Like the old man in the fishing coveralls with his lousy dollar in that State Farm commercial. Choose the wrong insurance, and they make you sweat for that bonus check. Choose the wrong path, and you'll never get that answer. I ignored its pesky wave and pushed forward. No sense in crying over spilt milk.

"You okay, Sweets?" I asked because that's what friends do. Even if I was plotting revenge.

"Yea, I am."

"Let me ring this up." Lei pulled the basket out of Sebastian's hand. Moving quickly around to the other side of the counter. Shooing away a bored gaping employee. Of course, she stuffed some cookies into the bag before even ringing anything up. Habits die hard no matter who you are.

I kept my focus on my Ronaldo. We both leaned against the counter, facing each other. "You sure? You seem a little down."

"I'm sure. We all have our moments, Shorts." He reached out and brushed the back of his knuckles quickly along my cheek. My legs tensed to lock me in position and keep me from physically shuddering in pleasure. That's all it took apparently. Just a light brush that lasted half a second. I was a needy mess.

"Is this your way of trying to sweeten my vengeance pot?" I murmured. Was that my voice? That sultry thing? Yikes. Get it together, Romanov.

"I'm sweetening some pot." He murmured back, we've gotten ridiculously close. Witnesses be damned! "But it's not labeled vengeance..."

My wilted heart gave a sputter and a jilt, attempting to sit upright. If I had the ability to ink in times of distress, now would be that time. What was the distress you ask? The possibility that my heart would rip through my chest Alien-style and latch onto the predator before me. Sinking its greedy little teeth into all of that Sweetness.

I had several pots in mind that he might like to sweeten, all of them were NSFW. And they were definitely not safe for Lei's Market, while she pretended not to eavesdrop.

"Keep your pilfering bees to your own garden, Sweets. These shrubs are closed for the season."

"How fortunate that I'm an excellent gardener, I could revive your shrubs." He coaxed in cozy velvet tones.

"I didn't say they needed reviving," I replied quietly, he was so close to me now. So close that we were sharing air. I needed my supply desperately if I was going to keep my head intact.

"You didn't have to." His eyes traced my face. "I always know when they need a little TLC." Damn it, he did dirty talk well. We couldn't keep doing this, we were in a public place for God's sake. And with a pervy pushy store clerk hanging onto our every word with glee. He leaned in to whisper in my ear. "Let my bees into your garden, Darlin'. I promise you won't regret it."

Annnnnddddd, Ink.

***

"Ya know, I just realized something." We were walking side by side, our shoulders bumping with each step—more accurately my shoulder to his bicep. Sebastian's half of the load was bumping into my leg, wrapped around a wrist as his hands were tucked into his pockets. The car was still a block down.

After recovering all functions back at the shop, where Lei cleared her throat and practically sang the total, I paid for my fares without a peep from Ronaldo. We said our goodbyes, Lei pulled out a promise of return from Ronnie and off we were. Leaving the store with our pheromone cloud and a wink from Kun.

Yup, it was about as embarrassing as it sounded, and my flushed cheeks had been the biggest proof if it.

It was embarrassment. Not lust, embarrassment. You'll never convince me otherwise...

"What's that." Sweets replied.

"It's Sunday."

He nodded. "That it is."

"And you're home." I pushed.

"Not really. Currently, I'm walking down a block carrying your hoard supply of processed soups."

I elbowed him. "I mean you're not at the bakery, making your donation. What gives?"

"Ah, that. I'm on break for the next two months."

"What does that exactly mean?" We walked on in no rush. It was practically freezing out, so it wasn't like we had to be afraid the ice cream would melt.

"It means, Short Stack, that Saint Sebastian gets to rest his wings on his days off." I waited patiently for him to continue. "My season never really ends. But there is a part of the year where my work triples. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years. The orders come piling in, and every year there's more than the last. Eight months out of the year, I handle the weekends while a good friend of mine handles the remaining days."

I looked at him in question. "I'm not the only one who donates, Pints. Someone I know and trust helped me make it work. Someone you know."

I shook my head.

"Eddie, Darlin'." He smiled down at me.

"Ohhhh, Eddie!"

"Mmhmm. Well, his season is busy as well but he's got more staff. So November and December, he takes on my donation load while I get a moment to breathe. I don't leave him empty-handed. I pay for the supplies, he gets it there. Then in June and July, when he gets slammed, I take over a few of his weekly days. Whichever one he needs."

It was as if a light bulb went off in my head. "All of those extra delivery orders and shorter staff hours..." And here I thought he clipped our hours so we could enjoy summer while he plotted in his evil crumbling castle. At the very least I assumed he wanted more time at the clubs. Working the ladies. Yes, I know. I was a horrid shrew painting him in the evilest light... But wrong, he was busy making single serve meals by the hundreds into the night. No wonder he was so cranky with me when I gave him lip.

He had basically been running on an empty gas tank for eight weeks all for the greater good. Just when I thought he couldn't surprise me, or whack me in the chest with his charming golden halo harder, he shot this meteor to dazzle my eyes.

"You're something else, Ronnie. So, no work on Sunday and Mondays?"

"Nope. We're free to do whatever we like." He threw his arm around me, something I noticed he liked to do a lot. Kept me tucked into his side until we reached his car.

"Don't think this means you've escaped 'the revenge'."

He pulled away, popped the trunk with his fancy key fob, then snatched my bag and dropped it in with his. "Didn't think I would, Pints."

I paused at my open door. Looking at him over the roof. "It was cruel to play it that way, Ronaldo. You could have hurt her feelings."

"I know. And I am sorry. She's forgiven me, I hope you will too. That said, I know she can take it, Shorts. I don't need a decade of her friendship to know Lei can appreciate a good taunt. I agree with you though. Fun as it was, I made a promise and I broke it. I'll accept my punishment, sheriff."

He ducked into his seat, I followed suit. "Well, so long as you know..." My seat belt clicked into place, the lock activated when he shifted to drive.

It was hard to stay mad at him. And that's when I was mad. Now I'm just playing the game back and it made it hard to finish when he was so, sweet.

We had a quiet evening when we got back. He sat down for some reading while I napped curled around a pillow, my legs sprawled across his lap. Much like my first real day here.

Sebastian could have stayed in his room to read. He could have worked in his office or hung out in his library, which I still haven't searched—something I needed to rectify immediately—but he chose to sit out here, in the living room with me. While I dozed.

It gave me the impression that he really did mean it when he said I'd offer him the comfort of simple companionship if I'd move in.

Around eight in the evening, as I still napped, Sebastian had carefully gotten up to go shower. How do I know this? Because I was half awake. Feigning sleep until it was time to strike. I knew when he was in his room by the sound of his distant muted steps.

Sitting up like an alert cat, I walked into the kitchen to execute the first part of my plan. Then stopped by my bathroom for phase two before I crept down the hallway after him. Listening for his progress into his ensuite bath, then the telltale sounds of the shower running. Silly Sebastian had left his bedroom door cracked open. It was dark because of the new moon, so I couldn't see the details, but I did see that he also left his bathroom door cracked open as well. The sliver of light my guide.

Someone was very trusting. Naughty Sebastian, you didn't think I'd sleep through my revenge did you? I crept toward the door, listening to make sure he was indeed in. The sporadic splashes gave me enough proof that it was all systems go. Even with the door cracked, it was mighty steamy in here.

I hadn't expected Sebastian's bathroom to have a glass door that led into a walk-in tiled shower. His tub was resting against the wall before it. At least I wouldn't feel guilty about possibly seeing something I shouldn't...since he was hidden. Mostly.

I realized this crossed so many boundaries. Me sneaking into his bathroom while he was naked, but I wasn't here to be a peeping tom. Just more of a shock catalyst. I walked over to his dual sinks and turned both hot water nobs on.

Watching as the water went from cold to hot. Condensation on the metal changing to vapors swirling from the faucet. Then I waited. I knew it was only a matter of time before the switch. Both kitchen and my bathroom sinks had been running a while. Just when I thought he'd be done scrubbing up before the change, I heard the most wonderful sound. Sebastian yelping.

"Motherfucker!" I could hear him stumbling around, trying to get away from what I assumed was frigid water. I slapped a hand over my mouth to keep from laughing loudly. It really wasn't that funny, but by god was I gripping the sink with Zeus like determination to keep myself upright. It's like he was in a state of shock. Instead of doing the natural thing and jumping out, he kept swearing and working the nobs.

Finally, I spoke up. "Maybe you're just out of hot water, Beets." Silence greeted me. The water hitting the sinks was the only thing left. Ronnie wisened up and had turned the shower off.

"Lia?" I didn't answer him. I was too busy stifling my chuckles. Chuckles that abruptly stopped when his head, along with part of his torso stuck out from behind the tiled wall. He wiped at the glass before pushing the door open. It swung slowly and rested against the wall. "That was you?"

Eeeeep! My eyes were wide, frozen on where the colors wrapped around his firm shoulders. Very firm shoulders. So that's where those ended... this wasn't funny anymore. All of a sudden it became unbearably hot and sticky in this steam trap from his haywire shower.

I had not thought this through...speak you perv! Sebastian watched me both amused and put out.

"Ah, yes?" I offered with a nervous chuckle. Sebastian was absolutely naked just beyond that wall. Completely naked. Beads of water making their fortunate journey down his precious chest, naked. Yup, nope, this was not appropriate. I slowly started to back away toward the door. "Gotcha!" I said lamely, crashing into the edge of the frame. Owww, I deserved that. Ronnie moved like he was about to step fully out. In my panic, I grabbed the nearest towel and tossed it at his face.

"Eeeeeeeeppp!" I turned and bolted for the bedroom door. I can confirm that I most definitely hit my target.

"Not funny, Lia!" He called after me.

I kept moving, bumping into something in the dark unfamiliar room. "Justice was served, prospect!" I shouted behind me, giggling wildly as I realized I had been seconds away from eyeballing the waistline merchandise.

Sprinting down the hall, I lunged through my door and slammed it closed. Turning the lock as quickly as possible. Scurrying away to the farthest point in the room for safety. Which turned out to be in the corner near the curtains.

Yep, I was a chicken. Didn't take long to hear Ronaldo coming down the hall. The sound disappearing for a minute before a solid knock graced my door. "Gotta come out sometime, Pints."

"Not really, no. I could probably stay in here forever."

"Doubt it, Darlin'. Hunger would betray you. So would the Cherry Garcia." He paused for a moment. "You and I need to have a little chat."

"Unnecessary. The revenge quota has been fulfilled, we can now go on as if nothing happened!" Slinking forward in the dark, I sank onto my bed.

"I disagree. Come on out, I won't bite." Ohhhh the liar. He would pounce on me faster than I could say truce. And yet, I went to stand by my door. Pressing my ear against it.

"Promise?" I asked hesitantly.

"Cross my heart, Shorts."

I listened to the other end, silence. Apprehensively, I opened the door. The hallway was empty. Looking both ways showed me the same. "Hello?" I called out. Nothing. Not even the water. He must have shut them off. I stepped out and turned toward the kitchen. That's where he must be. "Sebastian?"

Then I felt it. Sharp knives slicing down my back. I yelped. Not knives, ice. I jumped around shaking my shirt loose to get the slippery little bastards out, but somebody had gripped the hem, pulling tight and trapping the suckers in there.

"FOUL! FOUL!" I screeched. "MAJOR MISCONDUCT!" With the strength of a freakish hulk, I ripped away from him. Pulling at my shirt and whipping it off, tossing it in great abandon. The ice plopping to the carpet just at the start of the living room. I stood there in my bra, red in the face, pointing at my attacker. Who was bent at the waist, laughing. "You promised. YOU CROSSED YOUR HEART PROMISED!"I accused, my chest heaving from the exertion of my ice dance.

He straightened out, wiping at his eyes, chuckles subsiding. "I promised I wouldn't bite, Shorts. Never said anything about ice." He looked me over. Taking in my glare, my black bra, and the wet waistband on my jeans. Those sons of bitches had made it to my front in all of the jostling. "Nice outfit, Darlin'."

"Don't you Darlin' me, you, you no good, two-bit LIAR!" Okay, that was a bit much. He had been technically telling the truth. Ronaldo knew his loopholes. "Rules of the game, Ronald. You don't go vengeance on the revenge!"

"Not in my book." He grinned, leaning against the wall, cool as can be. "I reserve the right to retaliate when your revenge far outweighed my indiscretion."

I crossed my arms indignantly. Forearms bracing under my bra. "It did not! The punishment fit the crime."

"You almost saw my pecker and dingle-berries, Shorts. I think that justifies the ice dance," he smirked. "I mean, I could have slipped in there from your little stunt."

I gaped at him. Then turned and stomped to the kitchen. Sebastian's voice followed me on my warpath. "What are you doing, Little Lia?"

"Reserving my right to seek vengeance on the revenge you sought for your deserved and received vengeance." I scoured the fridge and found what I was looking for—the leftover custard filling from yesterday's experiment.

"That's a mouthful. Wanna say it three times fast?" He crooned by the counter. He thought he was so charming. I scooped a handful of the delicious filling, tucking my hand behind my back so he wouldn't see.

Sebastian wasn't paying attention. Silly, silly Sebastian.

I stepped in front of him. He looked at me. But he wasn't paying attention to what was important. No, no, he seemed to be more interested in his top view of my bra. Or more accurately, what was in its cups. "Don't be mad, Pints."

"Oh I'm not mad," I said sweetly. Misdirection is always the key. Quickly I smashed my hand into his face. The custard making a satisfying squelch as it pushed through my fingers and dripped on his shirt. Bless you, Gilligan & O'Malley for making simple black bras enticing to naughty bakers. "I'm getting even."

I pulled my hand away, watching as Sebastian carefully wiped off the goo from tightly shut eyes. Blinking several times. "Now you can take a second stab at that shower, maybe with greater success." I taunted, licking some of the custard off my finger. "Damn this is good." I was being a smug little shit. I should have known better.

Sebastian met my eyes, the molten whiskey practically shooting out like lava. Shit! Time to go! I took off again, aiming for my bedroom. "Don't be mad, Sweets!" Run, run, run, RUN. This is what Bathilda has been training you for. Ha!

"I'm not mad." His voice sounded dangerously close. Two bands wrapped around my torso. Lifting me into the air. "I'm getting even."

"Don't!" But he did. He started to rub his face against mine. Moving up and down before burrowing into my hair. Sebastian seemed determined to leave no strand untouched. "Eeeeeeeepppp." I squirmed in his grip. Motherclucker. "Uncle. UNCLE!" I was trapped. Once Sebastian got me from behind, I rarely stood a chance to wiggle away.

He stopped his assault but held on. "Is that a white flag?"

"Yes!" I snapped. My chest heaving even more. The real problem was my bra was one good wiggle away from revealing the golden globes..."Mind putting me down, pal?"

"Are you going to attack if I do?" He asked, suspiciously. No trust, geez.

I went limp in his grip. "No. But I'd like to put my shirt back on, thanks."

That was sobering enough for him. He placed me down gently, pulling his arms away quickly. Didn't matter what speed he moved, I still felt his hands glide across my abdomen, like a caress. The contact frying my fuses all in one go. I haven't been this naked in front of him since our peep show of September...

This was actually rather tame for us. I bent over, snatching my shirt off the floor. "Good luck with round two, Ronnie." I looked over my shoulder at him. He stood there, hands in his pockets. Smiling. Yea I bet he had a lot to smile about. Once I reached my bathroom, I stopped at the door. "Truce stands. Don't make me sneak attack you while you sleep."

He grinned and walked toward me. Heading for his second shower of the hour. "Truce stands." He passed me with a devilish promise.

"I mean it. No funny business."

"Wouldn't dream of it." He walked backward to his room, eyes glued to mine. "To prove it, I'll go straight to bed. Goodnight, Shorts."

"Night, Sweets." He turned and went on his way. I went on mine.

In the end, Ronnie got the last laugh after all. He only really needed to wash his face. I had to scrub custard out of my hair.

And wouldn't you know it, all of the hot water was gone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.5K 1.9K 52
Despite losing her mother when she was ten, Sophia Grace Weston has the life most kids dream of. Growing up, she had a loving father and was always s...
410 62 14
Writer Grace Campbell and her sister, Faith, had a troubled start in life. They were the only family each other had. When Faith gets the opportunity...
2.4M 203K 94
RANKED #1 CUTE #1 COMEDY-ROMANCE #2 YOUNG ADULT #2 BOLLYWOOD #2 LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT #3 PASSION #7 COMEDY-DRAMA #9 LOVE P.S - Do let me know if you...
928K 13.6K 36
Ivy Williams had always aspired to complete her university journey without any interruptions or complications. However, not even two months into her...