The Island Curse

By heater0387

[Complete] Isla Halloran has dreamed of visiting her father's birthplace, Merrow Island, since she was a chil... More

Arrival
A Familiar Scent
Settling In
The New Girl
The Legend of Mermaid Tears
Miscommunication
Discoveries
A Family History
Iced Coffee and Flirtation
Jealousy
Unexpected Friend
A Long Walk Home
Homesick
More Than Meets the Eye
Change of Plans
Honesty
A Detour
A Voice in the Darkness
Sea Monsters
Deja Vu
Worse
The Other Side of the Island
She Comes
Forgiveness
Answers
Escape
Sins of the Father
Visitors
To Be Human
It's Not Too Late
Coming to an Agreement
A Ride
Molly
Born in Blood
Promises
Wishes
Preparations
The Birthday Party
The Siren Song
Poetic Justice
Actions
Selfless
Not Yet
A Bright Future
Revisions Sneak Peek: Prologue
Pssst...

Kieran's Guided Tour

2.9K 204 20
By heater0387

I fell onto my bed, grunting when my backpack slid up and hit the back of my head. It now weighed a hundred pounds more than it did this morning, but I didn't have the energy to take it off. School had always been a place I flourished, but the added stress of being new as well as adapting to an unfamiliar curriculum had drained me. The only bonus was that the school had a no homework policy, but that also meant the hours in class were nonstop.

Groaning, I sat up and brushed a loose strand of hair out of my eyes. Boxes and clothes mocked me from their places on the floor, but I knew I wouldn't be tackling any of it until the weekend. If I didn't know myself well enough to know that a nap would turn into me not waking until the morning, I would lie back down and go to sleep.

The soft down comforter and pillows beckoned me, but I shimmied out of my uniform and dragged on a pair of leggings and an oversized sweatshirt. The pull to go up to the tower had returned in full force the moment I came home, but I pushed it away, determined to explore the world outside my window. I grabbed my phone, worthless for calling until we made it to a cell store, but necessary for photos and music and hurried down the stairs.

"It's like it chose her," my father said when I came down stairs. He wasn't speaking to me.

I paused. His phone shouldn't be working, and I hadn't seen a house phone yet. Did we have company?

"I know it's hard, but it's what we've hoped for." The female speaker's voice was as clear as my father's, answering my question.

"She's my little-"

"Eavesdropping?" I yelped and spun around. Kieran Murphy was propped against the entryway to the parlor, the same smirk from earlier pasted on his face.

"This is my house. What are you doing lurking in it?"

"Lurking? Who says lurking anymore?"

"Why waste a perfectly good word when it fits the situation?"

"Yer a strange lass, Isla Halloran."

"Says the boy randomly standing in a stranger's home."

"But yer not strangers, are you? Yer part of Merrow Island."

"Yes, well, I was born in Mississippi, but that doesn't mean that I'm familiar with every other person in the state. Because, by definition, that's what it means to be a stranger- someone you're not familiar with."

He pushed off the frame and walked close enough that I could smell the light, fresh fragrance of his cologne. Unlike most boys his age, he hadn't bathed in it, and it swirled around me in a fog that clouded my mind as he bent forward to whisper. "Perhaps that's why I'm here. To become acquainted."

"Ah, there you are," Dad said, stepping into the entryway, his eyes locking onto the small space between our bodies. Siobhan appeared behind him, a line of worry creasing her forehead when she saw us.

"Kieran, I told you to wait outside." Her sharp tone was at odds with the cheerful woman I'd met just a few days ago.

"I wanted to make sure Isla had a good day at school. We didn't have time to talk before she left."

"It's fine," I insisted. "In fact, you two seemed to be talking about something important, and I was about to go outside and explore. Kieran can be my guide." Isla what the hell are you doing?

I didn't dare sneak a peek at the boy beside me. What if he didn't want to spend his afternoon with me? My dad looked at Siobhan and she sighed before nodding. "It's best that you don't wander around alone, I suppose. Kieran, you know what time you have to come home."

"Sure, mum. Isla?" He opened the door and waited for me to walk through.

"I'm sorry," I said, pulling my hands up into the sleeves of my sweater. The first hint of sunshine was breaking through the clouds, but the wind was biting.

"For what?" He didn't look the least bit cold, and he hadn't changed out of the light sweater the boys wore with their uniforms. "For making me babysit you?"

"You're welcome to go fall off a cliff somewhere," I snapped, quickening my pace. "I was going walking with or without you. I thought I was doing you a favor."

"Isla, wait," he grabbed my arm. "Yer right. I would rather walk around the Island than stay back there while our parents flirt. My other option was to try for a kip, and that didn't appeal either."

"Try for a what?"

"A kip. You know, a short sleep?"

"A nap." I surmised, and he nodded. I looked at the hand still wrapped around my arm. "You gonna let me go?"

"Only if you want me to."

Swallowing hard, I pulled away, disappointed when I felt his fingers unfurl and release me. Moving again, I goaded, "So what you're saying is that I was the consolation prize. Nothing better came along."

"You like to stir up trouble, eh?"

I chuckled. "You're one to talk. All you've done is try to wind me up."

"What did you think of yer first day?" he asked.

The change of topic surprised me, but it was welcome. "Better than expected. I don't know if it was harder or easier with such a small group. I've never been in a class of only eight before. I thought there were more people on the Island than that."

Kieran kicked at a rock and watched it tumble into the heather before answering. "The primary school classes are a lot bigger. Most kids opt out of S6. They go to work for their families, but honestly, a lot of the people you saw when you came in were tourists. We'll shut down the ferry in the winter, and you'll see how small the population is."

"You shut down the ferry?" I exclaimed. "What sense does that make? What do people do for a living then?"

"Most of the people who live in town own land. They have crops and animals, but they don't want to live out in isolation. It can be hard, especially when the winters are bad. It snows quite a bit here. You'll find that a challenge when yer having to come to school in it."

But if he was expecting me to whine about the weather, he was going to be disappointed. I squealed and clapped my hands. "I've always wanted to live somewhere with snow. We have two seasons in Mississippi: summer and not summer. I've seen snow maybe four or five times in my entire life, and never anything more than a dusting."

A deep longing filled his eyes. "To be that warm all the time... I miss it."

"You've lived somewhere warm before?"

"No." The haze lifted, and he looked angry. "I just meant in the winter. I miss the warmth. Besides, you've not stopped shivering since I met you. Today is a bonnie day. How're you going to handle something harsher than this?"

"I might surprise you," I sniffed, unhappy with what he implied.

"Isla, I think you just might."

We lapsed into a comfortable silence, our attention on the surrounding land. Kieran was a good sport, following me as I darted after anything that captured my attention. He'd occasionally offer more information if pressed, sometimes sounding as if he'd memorized the information from a textbook.

"Let's go down this way," he said, dragging me away from a thistle in full bloom. This time, I let him hold my hand as we started down a slope.

"This looks nothing like where we came in on the ferry."

Kieran pulled off his boots and rolled up his pants. "To be fair, the days have been dreich since you arrived. The water is something else entirely beneath the sun, but it's only here that it gets so clear and bright."

I spun around, studying everything with awe. "I can see this from my bedroom."

"Then you've the second best view in the entire Island."

"There's a better one than this?" I gaped at Kieran. Surely, nowhere else could hold more beauty than what was sprawled out before me.

"Aye, I'm looking at it." He stared at me, gaze unwavering and without deceit.

"Oh, I walked right into that one. Smooth." I dipped my head so he couldn't see the blush staining my cheeks. It was a corny, worn out pickup line, but delivered with such intensity and in that delicious brogue... well, I was only human.

"Come on," he said, wading into the fizz and foam. He shrugged off his sweater and threw it at me. It landed on my face, filling my nose with his scent and making my gut clench.

"Aren't you freezing?" I balled his sweater up and set it aside, scared I'd give into the urge to sit there and sniff it.

"It's a wee bit cold," he admitted, "but you've got to come further in to see the best part."

Biting my bottom lip, I debated the wisdom of my decision, but only for a moment. With every push and pull of the ocean, I was being drawn forward. Shoes and socks tossed next to Kieran's, I ran into the surf with a shriek.

"Ach, it's not that bad."

"You're right," I said, teeth chattering, "except that it's also less than sixty degrees out here."

"We'd be boiling alive."

"Fahrenheit. I already know I'm going to die in science. The metric system is confusing."

"I think you've got that backwards," he laughed, kicking out with his foot and splashing me with seawater.

I jumped back, pointing at him with an accusatory finger. "You promised there was something to see out here."

"Truce, then. Come here." He walked out to a large rock, the water reaching his knees, meaning it would nearly be at my hips. He put his foot on the rock and climbed, stopping when he realized I wasn't behind him. "Are you coming?"

"I'd practically be swimming to get out there. Hey, no you stay back." He had jumped down and was coming for me, his jaw locked in determination. Scared to turn my back to him, I moved in reverse, holding my hands up to ward him off, but he was undeterred. He tipped me into his arms, pulling another shout from my throat.

"Better, milady?" He cradled me against his chest and gave me his signature smirk. One dark curl fell across his brow, a salty droplet clinging to the silky strands.

"Just don't drop me."

"Never."

We reached the rock, and he helped me up, pointing to a flat spot to sit on while he climbed up. The ledge was longer than it looked from the beach, and we fit easily on the small shelf. I looked down. Whitecaps broke against the boulder, spreading bubbles across the surface and deepening the light gray color of the rock to a dark slate. Something twinkled beneath the foam, and I curved my spine, stretching over my knees to see better.

"Careful," Kieran cautioned, slipping his arm around my waist to hold me steady. Even through two layers of fabric, his touch spread warmth across my skin.

"What is that?" I asked, scooting out of his embrace and keeping my gaze locked onto the shimmering objects.

"Mermaid tears."

I thought of the bits of colored glass decorating our manor and wished the water was warm enough to swim. "It looks like they cover the entire floor."

"It is. The tide is high right now, or you'd see them all over the shore. During low tide, we can walk out almost twice as far without getting wet."

"I'd like to come out here and collect some."

"Sure, he promised.

"Really?" I gaped at him.

"Why do you sound so surprised?"

"I just half expected you to think I was silly. They're commonplace for you."

He looked at me for a long moment before sighing. "It doesn't make it any less beautiful. That's a sad life if you find less beauty in something because you see it often. It doesn't matter how much I grow to hate this Island, I think this beach is paradise."

The fringes of the sky grew pink and purple as the sun sank lower, spreading an orange glow along the horizon. I knew we should get ready to head back, our parents would wonder what had become of us, but I was enjoying this moment. Kieran was handsome, there was no denying it, but he was also intriguing. None of the boys back home had ever expressed anything more eloquent than a prayer for their college football team.

"So where does all the sea glass come from?"

When I spoke, tension seeped out of his body, and the lines of his face softened. "This beach was once called Shipwreck Cove. Legend has it that a Siren used to sit on this rock, calling sailors to her. But the waters around here hide many dangers, many rocks beneath the waves. There is a piece of sea glass for every lost life."

"And that's why this is called Merrow Island," I mused, thrilled by the sad story. "Whatever happened to the mermaid?"

He shrugged, his tone clipped when he answered. "It's just a story. They never say. Let's go. It's getting late, and yer about to shiver so hard you fall off the rock."

Unsure what I'd said to upset him, I readied myself to crawl back down, freezing when I spied several forms moving along the base of one of the cliffs. "Kieran, psst."

"What?"

"First, don't be rude. I didn't do anything," I huffed, not sure why it even mattered. But I saw some of the attitude dissolve from his expression. "Do you see those people? They look like they went into a cave?"

He froze on the side of the boulder, his eyes whipping to the exact spot I was referencing, only I hadn't pointed it out. "Yer seeing things. Come on."

"No, look." Now I pointed. "That looks like Tara. Wait one second."

"Isla," he reached for my hand, which I swatted away.

"It is. It is he-" Kieran's hand caught mine this time, but his insistent tug made me lose my balance. I saw his face as I fell, eyes wide but not with surprise. Regret. And then the icy blue waters swallowed me whole.

My lungs seized up as water filled them, and the sea glass, so enchanting from my perch above, bruised my back as I slammed into the ocean floor. The water wasn't deep here, but I'd fallen far, and the waves were rough, pulling my shocked form towards the stone. Pain slashed across my cheek and down my neck as I tumbled against the cliff, a cloud of red billowing up around me. Up became down and left became right as I flailed, kicking through the cold.

I needed air. The urge to breathe deep possessed me, and just as I inhaled, Kieran's sturdy hands heaved me above the ocean's surface. I let him carry me as I coughed up the sea I'd swallowed, and all the while, rage built in my belly.

"Isla," he said, his voice frantic as he dropped me on the sand. The grains still held a small vestige of daytime warmth- enough to feel hot against my frozen skin.

When I didn't respond, he bent to press his lips against mine, to offer air, but I wasn't silent because I couldn't breathe. I was imagining creative ways to kill him. I waited until the last second and rolled away, popping up and pressing my hand to the top of his head. The sight of his face planted in the wet sand almost gave me enough joy to ease the burning on my face.

"I'd say yer fine, then." He rocked back to his knees and spit out a mouthful of sand, irritation clear in his expression until he studied me closer. He grasped my chin and touched the scrapes gently. "Yer poor face."

Adrenaline wearing off, I jerked away and wrapped my arms around my waist. "What the hell were you thinking? Why were you in such a hurry to get down?"

"I was trying to help you," he implored, snagging his sweater from where I'd tossed it and offering it to me.

"You grabbed my hand while I was trying to look at something else."

"Non-verbals really aren't my thing."

Teeth gritted, half from anger and half to stop them from clacking together, I spit out, "Turn around."

"Why?"

"Because I'd like to take my sweater off and put yours on. Why can't you just do what you're asked?"

Mouth working, he turned on his heel. I pried the wet top from my body and shrugged into the cardigan. Pins and needles erupted along my skin as blood flowed again. Buttoning it was difficult, my fingers stiff and useless.

"You done?"

"No," I snapped, tongue jutting out and pressing on my top lip as I concentrated. The small, wooden clasp refused to cooperate.

"Can I help?"

"No!" I looked down in horror, my breasts visible through the wet lace of my bra. He'd get a free peep show if he turned around.

"Isla, I will be a gentleman."

"Cause that's worked out real well for me today," I said, pushing the button through the loop successfully. That was one down. Five minutes later, I'd only managed one more, and I started to cry. "Fine, but keep your eyes averted. I'll move your hands to the clasps."

"Done," he said, looking to the sky as he walked over. He stuck out his hands and waited.

Trembling, in ways that had little to do with how cold I was, I guided him to the middle clasp. His deft fingers made quick work of it, and he let his hands hover in the air, waiting for me. I nudged his hands higher, sucking in a deep breath as his fingers brushed against my skin.

When he finished that one, I felt covered up enough. "You can look now. There's just the top one left."

He lowered his gaze and reached for the button at the collar, lingering on this one as he studied me beneath his thick lashes. "Better?"

"Yes, thank you. We'd best go."

He cleared his throat. "Right. Um, your shoes and socks are there."

"Oh, I forgot." I rolled the socks over my feet, unable to stop the moan of delight that tumbled out of my mouth as they warmed. On with the boots, and I felt almost human. The soaked leggings were responsible for the almost.

"I'd lend you my trousers," Kieran stated, hurrying to catch up as I started up the hill without him. "But I'm afraid they're in as sorry a state as yours."

Him pantsless was not something I was in the mood to contemplate, but the comment earned a chuckle. Now that we were on the move, my body was returning to normal, only the uncomfortable chafing between my generous thighs and the stinging on my face reminding me of my near drowning.

"Probably best to keep them on. It's going to be hell enough explaining to my dad why I'm wearing your sweater and nothing under it."

He tripped and cursed. "Stupid rock."

It was my turn to smirk. "Sure."

"So, am I forgiven?"

I pushed out a hard breath, moving a straggly piece of hair out of my eyes. The rage from earlier had faded, now that my life wasn't in danger, and to be fair, it wasn't as though he'd shoved me. "Yes, but remind me to say no the next time you want to climb a rock in the ocean."

He bumped his shoulder against mine, and I returned the gesture. "I'm just happy there'll be a next time."

"Whatever," I grumbled. "So who else do you think was with Tara?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I told you I saw her walking along the edge of the cliff. Like there was a ledge there."

"The sun was setting; it was probably a glare."

I scrunched my face up as I came to a complete halt. Kieran walked several steps past me, and in the dim light, I could barely read his face. "Why are you being so defensive about this? Why is it such a big deal if she was out there?"

He shrugged and jammed his hands into his pockets. "It's cold, Isla. Let's get you home. Blood is drying on your face."

"I know it wasn't a glare. She still had the bright, yellow ribbon in her hair."

We crested the hill and reached the main road that wound from Halloran Manner to the turn off for school. My calves protested the climb, but he didn't even have the decency to be out of breath.

"You should be able to get home from here. I'll just head on to town."

"Fine, but wait a second." I ripped my soggy sweatshirt from him and tugged his cardigan off. There was little to see in the dusk, but I hurried as fast as I could force the wet material over my body. Goosebumps rippled across my skin, and it ached everywhere it brushed against me.

"That's unnecessary. You could bring it to class tomorrow."

"Oh, sure. So everyone can see me returning an article of clothing to you on the same day we met. Besides, I don't want to deal with my dad." And with that, I stormed towards the house, refusing to look behind me to see if he was watching me go.

Ten minutes later, I was at my front door. Night had claimed its victory, and without the light from the windows, I'd have wandered the countryside looking for the house until morning.

Dad sat in the parlor, a book in his hand, when I stepped through the door. "Where have you been? You left hours ago." The words were gentle- curious- not angry.

"Sorry," I said, keeping the right side of my face turned away. "We ended up walking farther than planned, and it took awhile to get back."

"Are you wet?" The book went on the coffee table, and the first tendril of concern crept into his voice.

"We went down to the beach, and you know what a klutz I am. I tripped and went in. In fact, I'm about to freeze to death. I'm going to change and go to bed."

"Ok," he settled back in his chair and grabbed the book once more. "Good night, Isla girl. Love you."

"Love you too, Dad."

I stayed in the shower until the water ran cold, and even then the tips of my nose, fingers, and toes were still icy. Steam filled the bathroom like a sauna when I stepped out, and I wiped away the fog on the mirror to inspect the damage from the fall.

Most of the scrapes were minor, but one across the top of my shoulder was long and angry looking. I twisted to see where it ended and found my back riddled with purple dots- slight bruises where the sea glass stabbed me. I'd be lucky to be able to move tomorrow, but I cleaned and patched what I could, hoping it would be enough. Dad would panic if I needed stitches, but I wasn't the kind of girl who found scars sexy either.

Dragging on dry leggings and a t-shirt, I scrambled beneath the covers, more than willing to make an early night of it, but sleep was elusive. I thought about grabbing a bite to eat, but it wasn't an empty stomach keeping me awake. It was a racing mind, trying to figure out what secret Tara and her companions were hiding. Surely, it was something big if it put Kieran on edge.

I huffed and flipped my pillow, staring up at the black space above me as a dark thought burgeoned. What if my fall hadn't been an accident, but a diversion? If I'd not tumbled into the ocean, there was a very good chance I would've insisted on finding the path they'd taken. Perhaps Kieran sensed that.

My nails bit into my palms as I considered it, but I dismissed it with a sigh. He'd done nothing for me to be so suspicious of him. In fact, he'd been kind enough to accompany me when he could've been hanging out with friends. The experience had put me on edge- that was all. I'd probably even read into his surly behavior on the walk home. Like me, he was cold and tired.

Rolling to my uninjured side, I scowled. I'd apologize tomorrow. Crow wasn't my favorite flavor, but salvaging our budding friendship would be worth it. I closed my eyes. As long as he didn't smirk, everything would be okay.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.2K 2K 26
*WARNIO!! This is my second book I wrote on Wattpad. THERE will be mistakes!* Read at yo own dang risk! "Who is she?" "Can you get me her number?" "...
562 23 22
My name is Isla. I'm a mermaid. No, not like the little mermaid, I'm not some silly cartoon. Now that I think of it, you can go ahead and also rule o...
200K 13.2K 72
Princess Aren is determined to make the human who killed her mother and exiled her people to the bottom of the ocean pay. To do so, she must go to...
55.6K 3.3K 37
[ Only the ocean can bring a prince and a pirate together, only the sea can keep their secrets, and only the waves can tear them apart. ] [ COMPLETE...